Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

Pete can you up smbios 28 to this thread? thanks

BTW replaced my 1GB RAM module with a 2 GB module and worked great.

Picture%201.png

Here ya go! btw i have gone back to iatkos v41 for the meantime as coolbook refused to work on the other distro (probably me being stupid)

Will have a play with it again a bit later to see if any speedstep kexts work etc.

AppleSMBIOS.kext.zip

I actually have one of these on the way next week, and my question was about sleep...specifically, how do you guys have pmset...set?

The video (thanks, btw. No doubt that youtube clip will be sell more than a couple of these) actually made me really think about this, as it appears that on wake, it is almost doing the right thing.

Has anyone considered trying to 1. force hibernate mode or 2. turn it off until the battery is nearly dead?

# pmset hibernatemode 2

# pmset hibernatefreeratio 10

this essentially tells the power mangler (see what I did there, heheh) to not bother to ever cache to disk until the thing has like 15% power, then when it drops that low, dump the ram and power down.

Or mayhaps, this machine needs to be forced to hibernate. It is slower on the re-awake, but slower is *always* faster than never.

In fact...I'd rather someone try *that* solution...do this:

$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

Then first, do a Sleep from the Apple menu's sleep item.

Does this work? If it does, give the lid powerdown a whack.

Like I said, from the video, it seems to know what to do going down; safesleep is sort of a "warm boot" mode and may be a "good enough" solution for this machine.

Just a thought,

-D10

tried the hibernate mode 1 (I had thought this might eb a last resort). and unfortunately it does not work. It goes down like before and when it comes up it is responsive in that I can do finder windows and any open application works fine (no wireless though). However no booting new applications and eventually it will beachball.

Pete on iAtkos 4i I am trying to get speedstep to work. I followed your directions and removed smbiosenabler, ehcisleep, intelenhancedspeedstep (I actually only had the first one)

I then added your smbios-28

coolbook still shows no values in any field.

Ideas?

thanks

yes follow this

1. Download and install IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext if you don't have it, restart if you had to install

2. Download 10.5.5 Update - here.

3. Open you terminal and type: sudo -s

4. Enter your password and hit enter

5. Type: while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done (hit Enter)

6. Double click on 10.5.5 Update to initiate install. Follow through with installation. NOTE: When update installed you will be prompted to ‘Restart’. DO NOT restart yet.

7. Go back to your Terminal window and close it.

8. Re-open your Terminal again (make sure you sudo -s)and type: nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 (hit Enter)

9. Find the line that says Don't Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace it with dsmos.kext (You might not have this in the script, i didn't)

10. Go back to 10.5.5 Update window and hit Restart

11. Start your PC in verbose mode. Half way through the booting process your computer will restart by itself - it's ok. Start it again in verbose mode. (It should be able to boot ok this time)

12. Reinstall needed kext.

Hey i am really new to this forum (first Post) . My mini9 is expected to arrive in 5 days.

I will try OSX installation as soon as i will get it. But i was wondering if we could make a video guide and/or a complete step by step tutorial for noobs.

Because even though this is the only forum discussing OSX on mini9. But we have to go through a lot of research from other sites to understand the process of installation.

i found a MSI video guide for OSX installation. I hope someone attempts same thing with mini9...

Thanks... btw u guys are doing awesome. Keep it up.

This is a little OT, but my mini was supposed to be arriving on Wednesday (Oct. 1) and Dell is delaying it to Oct. 22 with no notice (I found out by checking the tracking page on their website). Has anyone else here had their orders delayed? Also, does anyone know if Dell usually offers compensation (free shipping, percent off, free accessories, etc.) to customers faced with delays like this (I can't very well ask for an upgrade as I ordered the system maxed out)? I know that this thing is popular, but ordered the thing on 9/14, so the delay will actually be longer than the original build/delivery time!

Edit: They are upping my shipping to overnight and giving me a free laptop bag. Not as good as getting it now though.... The delay was to change the version of Acrobat reader from 8.1 to 9.0, wtf, Reader is freeware!

Some points and some questions.

That Acer with the 160gb hard drive and six cell battery looks extremely appealing - but its wifi card doesn't work in OS X and swapping it out for another one and adding memory involves a lot of very fiddly work. Google it. There's a youtube, also. When you see what's involved, you'll sweat. A better alternative, I think, is a wireless USB dongle. I noticed it's not even ready to pre-order on the British Amazon site.

The MSI/Advent and the Asus, by comparrision to the Acer and Dell, have uninspiring screens. You wouldn't watch a video on one, or at least I wouldn't. The Dell's screen is quite shiny and directional, though why a crowd of people would want to sit around and watch a movie on a screen that size is beyond me!

OS X runs most comfortably when you have 50GB of free space. I don't know about SSD but if you fill a regular hard drive to near capacity under OS X and even then erase a lot of stuff, it's worth running a defgrameneter application, about the only time it's ever worthwhile running such a program on OS X. I know it has been the case that SSD drives don't last vastly long, has this improved and, if so, is Dell using such an implementation or something older?

At the moment, the Acer with it's six cell battery looks the most appealing, to me.

A couple of questions. What temperatures are Dell users getting? Does Temperature Monitor work? For those that don't know, it's a freeware application that monitors processor and hard drive temps and works on OSX86 usually, but I don't know about the Atom processor. Has anyone got Coolbook working? I'm dying to try it.

Does Shutdown fully shut down the laptop or do you need to hold down the power off button to fully shut it down? ALC628/Applehda.kext kills full shutdown on some laptops - the screen goes black but the computer is still on; easy to miss unless a fan starts up - causing overheating and death if you happened to pop the laptop into an un-ventilated stow bag.

The three hour battery life - is that from light usage, i.e no multimedia? Do you have the brightness turned down?

Good job. Stepping stones to one day owning the real thing. Don't forget you should buy Leopard/iLife. Hopefully Apple are watching and will bring out one of their own. Don't rule a used macbook!

A couple of questions. What temperatures are Dell users getting? Does Temperature Monitor work? For those that don't know, it's a freeware application that monitors processor and hard drive temps and works on OSX86 usually, but I don't know about the Atom processor. Has anyone got Coolbook working? I'm dying to try it.

I got coolbook working but with and without it the battery life is only 3 hours...

Does Shutdown fully shut down the laptop or do you need to hold down the power off button to fully shut it down? ALC628/Applehda.kext kills full shutdown on some laptops - the screen goes black but the computer is still on; easy to miss unless a fan starts up - causing overheating and death if you happened to pop the laptop into an un-ventilated stow bag.

shutdown fully works :(

The three hour battery life - is that from light usage, i.e no multimedia? Do you have the brightness turned down?

three hours from light usage not sure about multimedia though

Good job. Stepping stones to one day owning the real thing. Don't forget you should buy Leopard/iLife. Hopefully Apple are watching and will bring out one of their own. Don't rule a used macbook!

I have leopard, ilife and many other apps like vmware, coolbook, iglasses all brought and paid for oh and a macbook pro too :lol:

Also with the existing setup here is a screen shot of the tail when it comes back from sleep. I/O errors from boot disk.

also strange this doesn't make it into the sys log so the writer thread must be stopping.

Interesting, indeed. Essentially, it is telling you that the disc isn't actually mounted/there when it looks...rather that the entry for the disk is there, but the disk itself is not.

Could this be the shutdown solution???

bozon42Sep 25 2008, 06:38 AM

Hello all,

10.5.5 updated on my Acer 5220.

I did the following:

1. First, download the update directly from Apple's website.

You can grab 10.5.5 at

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...s/macosx1055upd

ate.html

2. Before you run the downloaded file,

open up Terminal and type:

sudo su -

Enter your user password and then type:

while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

3. Keep this window open while you run the downloaded update and install

it

4. Before you reboot, exit the Terminal script by holding down Ctrl and

pressing X (Ctrl + X).

Close Terminal and hit the button on the Update to reboot your computer.

5 Done

Note: I had to reboot twice.

Note2: Sound was not working.

Solution:

see:

Link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...96434&st=40

Saved guide from wiki.taruga.net

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Definitive Guide to Fixing the Realtek ALC268 Soundcard (With Workin Shutdown!!!!) In Leopard

1.Run ALC268Installer 2 or 1. (Depending on which works for you.)

2.Before Restarting delete /System/Library/Extensions/ALCInject.kext

3.Use Kext Helper b7 to install HDAEnabler.kext

4.With DiskUtility Fix permissions

5.Restart and make sure that Internal Speakers is selected in Audio Settings

6. Then run HDA Fix v3 (Riavvia in seguito means Restart later, Riavvia means Restart now)

7. Click Restart Later

8.Repair permissions with Disk Utility

9.Restart

10.Bootup and sound and shutdown should work.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bozon42

I used iDenab 10.5.5 and it looks like the only things needed are Sleep and Speedstep. Otherwise, it works pretty good. Although I'm also running it off a USB flash drive which is butt slow. ;)

Also.. does anyone know how to disable it from going to sleep when I close the lid? If I could do that, I think I'd be ok with it not actually sleeping for now.

further update to this sleep problem.

1. installed original appleintelframebuffer and applegma950 kext files

2. repaired permissions

3. rebooted

4. try to put it to sleep, cursor disappears and when i move it comes back but the display does not sleep.

could it be the hacked drivers with natit.kext are the cause of the sleep problem?

further update to this sleep problem.

1. installed original appleintelframebuffer and applegma950 kext files

2. repaired permissions

3. rebooted

4. try to put it to sleep, cursor disappears and when i move it comes back but the display does not sleep.

could it be the hacked drivers with natit.kext are the cause of the sleep problem?

Judging from the disk i/o errors, I'm gonna have to go with "no" on the natit.kext. The machine does not seem to be bringing the system disk back up from sleep.

Given this, has anyone tried booting off the install dvd of choice, setting the powermanger if it isn't, and doing a lid sleep from the boot dvd...or from a usb drive?

-D10

I have access to a Mini9 (mine still hasn't arrived), we installed to a USB hard drive. It doesn't seem to want to actually go to sleep, the power LED never starts throbbing. But whatever it's doing, I can't even get the desktop back when opening the lid. (and on a side note, the kernel panics on shutdown) Wish I could be of more help. If I get some more time with the unit, I may try installing again and making sure I have each and every kext linked in this thread installed. My first attempt, it failed to boot when I did that (it got stuck at the infamous using 4096 buffers), the second attempt I didn't load all of them. I'll try to make a third attempt soon.

Has...anyone actually tried doing this via the boot321 method(s) as opposed to jacked and hacked to hell and gone iso's? May be easier to nail down what is actually working/required if we start a bit cleaner, aka boot321/chameleon methods.

To this end, I've actually created a Mini 9 Boot321 CD with the specific kexts and whatnot that have popped up in this thread. Let me know if someone with a 10.5 retail DVD wants to have a crack at getting it going via this method and I'll upload it somewhere.

Fedex has my mini...I'll be able to jump into the fray in a matter of a few days.

Also, has anyone tried InsomniaX i posted a link for? While not the most...optimal...solution, it is a better one for now than crashdethness when ya gotta close the thing down in a hurry :rolleyes:

-D10

iDeneb uses Chameleon.. Does Chameleon let you do updates without a while loop, like Boot132 does? I had considered insomnia, I used that on an older laptop I used to have with Tiger, it did the job.

I would like a copy of that Boot132 CD you made, I do have a Retail Leopard (shouldn't we all by now? :)). I'll shoot you a PM and find out where you're going to upload that CD to.

I found this tear down guide at: jkkmobile

Theres also a 64gb ssd chip at: ebay ssd

VERY important information for everyone re SSD's... The SSD for the eee DOES NOT fit into the Mini9! "MyDigitalDiscount" has posted a different SSD for the Mini9, and as you can see from the pictures on their site, they are different lengths. I just got my eee SSD unit from them today, it's TOO LONG and there is no way to install it in our units. UGGGG.. In a day or two, I should know how good of a company MyDigitalDiscount is.. If they let me just exchange for the one I should have ordered..

MDSSD32MLC-D.jpgMDSSD32MLC-P.jpg