Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

Definitely got a chicken or the egg problem with that mouse/keyboard issue. Turn on usb legacy support in the bios, and the mouse/keyboard become PS/2, and as such need the hacked kexts to support it.Turn it off, and you can't boot off USB devices anymore.

Some guy locally here in Nashville had like 5 of them he was selling through Craigslist said he got them cheap from Dell, (there is a dell plant here in Nashville that might something to do with it) he sold me a Maxed out Black with XP Home for 350$ i'd rather do this than wait 2 weeks and pay another 150-200.. now im just trying to get OSx86 on it and ill be set

What they are most likely doing is getting the $99 deal from Dell.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/hughes/33841

Just gotta find someone to piggy back off of to get in on that deal. :(

Hey Pete,

So I just decided to finally update to 10.5.5 and while I was reinstalling kext anyway I used your new ones without natit for graphics. Worked great. I also saw the screen black thing when you shut the lid and it not going to sleep. I found if you add these two kext it will go to sleep however on wake it is right back where we were before. But might be of interest, looks like we are dealing with a device issue here with it remounting the flash drive and possibly not a video issue?

Also when I upgraded to 10.5.5 and reinstalled everything i did an uninstall on coolbook and then reinstalled its driver back. However all I get is 0s now for frequency and blank for heat etc. However I did notice when I try and register now I get a failed registration so not sure what is going on. BTW I had this problem before the kext attached were applied ;-) did you see anything like this?

cheers

SleepKexts.zip

But might be of interest, looks like we are dealing with a device issue here with it remounting the flash drive and possibly not a video issue?

Based on your log output, I am almost certain that the problem is exactly that; the disk isn't coming back for some bizarre reason.

Was just brainstorming.. Seems we have sleep and wake mostly working, but whatever driver we're using for the SSD is failing us on the way back up. I think the Wind doesn't have this problem because they aren't using a PCI-e based SSD, I believe they are using the ICH integrated controller. Being that our SSD is a PCI-e device, the controller must be onboard. Anyone try waking from sleep with a MyDigitalDiscount SSD? Maybe it's a different controller?

So I was thinking of a bigger SSD but the read speed of the mydigitalssd 32Gb one that fits the Mini looks horrible

Part#: MDSSD32MLC-D

Brand Name: MyDigitalSSD

MB/GB Size: 32GB

Read/Write Speed: 70/17

The 16GB model costs more and I assume it is for its far superior read speed. Anybody got one of these yet? it is tempting at 99 bucks but not for slow as molasses as I find the STEC 16 I have to be dang spritely (anybody know the read/write on it?) even better now that i turned off journaling (supposed to make it last longer too)

Actually, it's the write speed that's the problem, not read.. Read speed is pretty darn good actually.. 70mb.. But write, 17.. That is sub par.. Here's their higher speed part:

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/ProductDe...08A0-1222310947

43/26.. You get a little bit more write speed, but a lot less read speed.. Hmm! And one heck of a higher price.

Keep in mind, these are actual sustained speeds. Peak speeds are actually 50% higher than this. So normal use, you'll get almost 25mb write speed out of the cheaper unit. It's only when doing a large sustained write, like when installing an app, that the slower write speed should be an issue. I think the awesome read speed is going to really negate that issue.

Thanks Una, I thought those were latency numbers not throughput that makes more sense (was wondering how write could be faster than read!)

Humm maybe I will give it a shot for 100 bucks. I think the ones with higher write speed are too long for the mini anyway. do you know the specs on the stecs 16gb that come in the dells?

thanks

Hi guys...

I need a patched IO80112Family.kext for like 10.5.i-sh

Got one handy?

EDIT:

Nevermind...that didn't help.

Una seems to believe that the issue here is that the initial install/setup assist is looping because there isn't a NIC. Upon adding the patched driver, the machine basically hangs at boot with "Package 0 didn't get an HPET"

Any guidance/insight here would be great :(

Hi guys...

I need a patched IO80112Family.kext for like 10.5.i-sh

Got one handy?

EDIT:

Nevermind...that didn't help.

Una seems to believe that the issue here is that the initial install/setup assist is looping because there isn't a NIC. Upon adding the patched driver, the machine basically hangs at boot with "Package 0 didn't get an HPET"

Any guidance/insight here would be great :(

unaclocker what you need to do is boot into single user mode with -s and then do the following:-

1. fsck -fy

2. mount -uw /

3. passwd root

4. touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

This will get you out of that loop and when you reboot from there you can login as root create user account etc.

I tried this method before but could not find a way of bypassing that wizard to get onto the next screen.

unaclocker what you need to do is boot into single user mode with -s and then do the following:-

Actually, it was me that had the problem...

1. fsck -fy

2. mount -uw /

3. passwd root

4. touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

This will get you out of that loop and when you reboot from there you can login as root create user account etc.

I tried this method before but could not find a way of bypassing that wizard to get onto the next screen.

I actually started down this path...but decided that the better solution would be to figure out why 1. iatkos *doesn't* have this problem and 2. if there is some way to work around it without touching a retail disk and modifying it

sorry josh i am doing this from memory as i am using ideneb currently, you need iatkos v4i main system, darwin bootloader, apple acpi and kernel 9.4.0 :rolleyes:

I tried this a few times and keep getting kernel panics not sure what do i really want a good solid osx install on my mini 9 just cant get it for some reason.. can someone give me a basic walkthrough..

I tried this a few times and keep getting kernel panics not sure what do i really want a good solid osx install on my mini 9 just cant get it for some reason.. can someone give me a basic walkthrough..

at what stage do you get the kernel panics? could you possibly do a screengrab of what you are seeing?

We'll its when it reboots when i try to intsall some of the kext files, I basically boot to the iatkos CD and then go to customize and select, iAtkos v4i Main System, darwin Bootloader, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and the kernel 9.4.0.. then it works goes to the OS then when i try to kext and when it reboots and gray screens with a kernel panic.. any suggestions.. PeteRock you on AIM? or yahoo?

We'll its when it reboots when i try to intsall some of the kext files, I basically boot to the iatkos CD and then go to customize and select, iAtkos v4i Main System, darwin Bootloader, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and the kernel 9.4.0.. then it works goes to the OS then when i try to kext and when it reboots and gray screens with a kernel panic.. any suggestions.. PeteRock you on AIM? or yahoo?

from the boot menu where you can hit F8 etc try booting with -v -x and let us know if you still get a panic, also what kext are you trying to put on?

I seem to be getting kp's on shutdown for some reason.

this is via the iatkos 4.1 install.

Like josh, I really want to get something clean up and running as well. It appears the trick for us will be to get a retail install, reboot to the console, copy over the patched network drivers (assuming Una's theory about why the looping is happening is correct) then re-reboot to finish off the install before adding the rest of the kernel extensions we need.

Of course, due to the janky ass os x boot sequence...heheh...gotta fingure exactly what to tell it to do to add a mountpoint. Maybe start up diskarbitration from single user mode...