Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

Could you just not put the kexts in chameleons secondary extensions folder? This would mean that you can apply all updates and have no ill effects. Either that or install boot 123 onto a small partition on the SSD.

By the way, does the webcam work under OSX?

Also has anybody tried the new voodoo beta kernel, perhaps this will solve the sleep?

webcam works right away with no addtional kexts or any hacking, when i installed osx it does create a 200mb partition but i cannot see it, is this what you mean by the chameleon bit?

I have tried the voodoo kernel and the sleep issue remains.

From what I've read about the Boot132 method, that 200mb partition is where you keep your modified kexts, you're supposed to mount it, put them in there, and then they don't get wiped when you update..

Still curious about the exact steps to make a bootable thumb drive? I could trial and error it, I guess..

From what I've read about the Boot132 method, that 200mb partition is where you keep your modified kexts, you're supposed to mount it, put them in there, and then they don't get wiped when you update..

Still curious about the exact steps to make a bootable thumb drive? I could trial and error it, I guess..

hi unaclocker what you need to do is format it as fat32 then copy cross all the files to the root of the usb drive and use syslinux.exe -ma followed by the drive letter to make it bootable. eg syslinux -ma f:

syslinux.exe.zip

Ok Pete et al:

I cannot get this usb stick to boot off the actual CD; I believe for installation, this needs to be changed, or burned to cd. Even changing biosdev to 9f for the optical drive in the ,cfg doesn't work.

I'm burning this to cd now to see what i get.

Ok Pete et al:

I cannot get this usb stick to boot off the actual CD; I believe for installation, this needs to be changed, or burned to cd. Even changing biosdev to 9f for the optical drive in the ,cfg doesn't work.

I'm burning this to cd now to see what i get.

ahhh on mine its used to boot osx install dvd from a usb hdd so that could be why!

ahhh on mine its used to boot osx install dvd from a usb hdd so that could be why!

that would do it :o

I did burn this to disk using isolinux and it worked for the install.

Unfortunately, neither the usb nor the disk worked for the setup; same issue with getting stuck

in the migration assistant loop.

The HDA isn't loading because of an error in the property list; some key is missing.

It gets stuck if or not i have an ethernet cable plugged in. On verbose bootup, it seems to think it is not recognized hardware anyway.

Good Evening All,

I've successfully installed OSX 10.5.5 on the mini with the help of peterock's video kexts and the UneasySilence post, but I have a nagging issue. The broadcom wireless adapter still isn't working even after I've patched the kext using the latest script. The airport icon shows that the wireless is disabled, but when I click to turn it on, nothing happens. No errors messages, just nothing. I'm wondering if the problem might be that I disabled Wifi + Bluetooth when I was still running XP right before I installed OSX86. Could it be that the BIOS still thinks that the Wifi is disabled? I really don't want to reinstall Windows just to install the Dell wireless utility to prove my theory, but it's going to come to that unless any of you have an idea.

Thanks!

@socialtpher

That could actually be the reason, had that happen on my friends dell b130. We were able to turn back on though using the keyboard, worth a shot.

Good luck

PS: I've been watching this thread and you guys are amazing, working together and getting something done, o.O thought that only happen in fairy tales XD.

Jk on that last part keep up the good work.

that would do it ;)

I did burn this to disk using isolinux and it worked for the install.

Unfortunately, neither the usb nor the disk worked for the setup; same issue with getting stuck

in the migration assistant loop.

The HDA isn't loading because of an error in the property list; some key is missing.

It gets stuck if or not i have an ethernet cable plugged in. On verbose bootup, it seems to think it is not recognized hardware anyway.

That is strange one thing i did notice on mine was if i didn't attach to my wireless network it would still hit that looping thing everytime, maybe it's still hit and miss with this install then.

I wonder if the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext has some dependencies which I missed?

Try deleting the wireless location entry under Network Preferences and then re-establish a new one. This has worked for me before! Good luck!

Good Evening All,

I've successfully installed OSX 10.5.5 on the mini with the help of peterock's video kexts and the UneasySilence post, but I have a nagging issue. The broadcom wireless adapter still isn't working even after I've patched the kext using the latest script. The airport icon shows that the wireless is disabled, but when I click to turn it on, nothing happens. No errors messages, just nothing. I'm wondering if the problem might be that I disabled Wifi + Bluetooth when I was still running XP right before I installed OSX86. Could it be that the BIOS still thinks that the Wifi is disabled? I really don't want to reinstall Windows just to install the Dell wireless utility to prove my theory, but it's going to come to that unless any of you have an idea.

Thanks!

Is it possible to copy an OS X install dvd to a USB HDD without access to a Mac? I don't have an external DVD drive.

EDIT: Sorry, found your answer to this on page 2. So I will replace it with another annoying question, for everyone: in your opinion what is currently the most straightforward way to get OS X up and running on the Dell Mini with the most features functional?

I would love to have a close-to-vanilla install, but is the MSI image and patches talked about on UneasySilence still the easiest?

I greatly appreciate everyone's work and persistence on this. I'm psyched to get OS X running on the little thing.

I would love to have a close-to-vanilla install, but is the MSI image and patches talked about on UneasySilence still the easiest?

read the entire thread... decide for yourself whats the easiest....

(stiil patiently waiting for my machine so i can jump in on all this crazyness .... ;) )

read the entire thread... decide for yourself whats the easiest....

(stiil patiently waiting for my machine so i can jump in on all this crazyness .... :whistle: )

I have read the thread. As far as I can tell the "132's" are not working yet, or at least do not work with retail install disks. There does not seem to be any kind of ISOs similar to the MSIwind installs. The rest is a jumble of various distros and multiple versions of ktexts and bundles of ktexts and it isn't clear what's optimal up to now. Meanwhile other people are taking the UneasySilence path with or without small modifications that aren't well-detailed (usually refer to a ktext or two without indication of what version of the ktext from this thread they are using). Has anyone thought about putting up a wiki page of some sort?

Basically, if you can live without sleep or SD slots (though they would definitely be awesome), I'm wondering what the current "best" combination is, in the board's opinion. I hate asking because I know people like PeteRock and Type11 and darkten have already done so much for us all, but maybe someone else who's been playing around with their results could weigh in?

I have read the thread. As far as I can tell the "132's" are not working yet, or at least do not work with retail install disks. There does not seem to be any kind of ISOs similar to the MSIwind installs. The rest is a jumble of various distros and multiple versions of ktexts and bundles of ktexts and it isn't clear what's optimal up to now. Meanwhile other people are taking the UneasySilence path with or without small modifications that aren't well-detailed (usually refer to a ktext or two without indication of what version of the ktext from this thread they are using). Has anyone thought about putting up a wiki page of some sort?

Basically, if you can live without sleep or SD slots (though they would definitely be awesome), I'm wondering what the current "best" combination is, in the board's opinion. I hate asking because I know people like PeteRock and Type11 and darkten have already done so much for us all, but maybe someone else who's been playing around with their results could weigh in?

just personal preference really, myself and darkten are working on a boot132 solution right now and we are getting pretty close i think, the other one is try ideneb or iatkos and see how you get on.

good idea about a wiki maybe thats something we can look into as well...

I have read the thread. As far as I can tell the "132's" are not working yet, or at least do not work with retail install disks.

you are mistaken in this regard. This machine was setup via Pete's boot-132 from retail leopard dvd...

There does not seem to be any kind of ISOs similar to the MSIwind installs. The rest is a jumble of various distros and multiple versions of ktexts and bundles of ktexts and it isn't clear what's optimal up to now. Meanwhile other people are taking the UneasySilence path with or without small modifications that aren't well-detailed (usually refer to a ktext or two without indication of what version of the ktext from this thread they are using). Has anyone thought about putting up a wiki page of some sort?

The MSIWind stuff is the ultimate in hackery and conflict.

The reason why you don't see a 'clear and easy path' in this thread is because we are collectively working to achieve it from *retail disks* with *optimal, Mini only* stuff.

It took months for the wind boys to hack their stuff together...we've been at it for like 1.5 weeks *actively* and actually have a 'near perfect' boot-132 setup. I messaged pete this morning with a slight change to make to his...we'll see how it goes.

Well...I'm a mac guy...so I think like one. I'd rather have it right, than now :blink:

I have personally gone thru about 35 cdrs, and maybe 15 teardown/rebuilds to get to where we are now...which is, as of last night, a pretty standard boot-132 setup.

There are little annoyances (like exactly how to keep your system 'clean' using chameleon; there are at least 3 ways to use chameleon on HDs, two if them a mess and one seems a bit spotty) but really, if you want to have your machine up and going on 10.5.5 in an hour, it can be done today from retail dvd, with everything that is supported, working.

What we *aim for* is to have that be a painless hour, not one full of confusion and conflict :wacko:

And BTW...did I mention how much of a pain in the ass chameleon dfe for hd is? :)

Is there like an up-to-date doc somewhere for getting this working *correctly* on a one partition system? it is really an elegant solution, just a PITA to implement.

I believe the final 'easy installation issue' for a one-shot once thru boot-132 install is the stupid ACLInject thing.

Thanks for your help, but none of your suggestions have worked. Quick question for those of you who have successfully patched your wireless: In System Profiler >> Network >> AirPort, what's the name of your Wireless Card Type? Mine says Third Party Wireless Card. Just checking to see if my broadcom was correctly detected, or if my problem lies here instead of the hardware switch.

Thanks again.

you are mistaken in this regard. This machine was setup via Pete's boot-132 from retail leopard dvd...

The MSIWind stuff is the ultimate in hackery and conflict.

The reason why you don't see a 'clear and easy path' in this thread is because we are collectively working to achieve it from *retail disks* with *optimal, Mini only* stuff.

It took months for the wind boys to hack their stuff together...we've been at it for like 1.5 weeks *actively* and actually have a 'near perfect' boot-132 setup. I messaged pete this morning with a slight change to make to his...we'll see how it goes.

Well...I'm a mac guy...so I think like one. I'd rather have it right, than now :blink:

I have personally gone thru about 35 cdrs, and maybe 15 teardown/rebuilds to get to where we are now...which is, as of last night, a pretty standard boot-132 setup.

There are little annoyances (like exactly how to keep your system 'clean' using chameleon; there are at least 3 ways to use chameleon on HDs, two if them a mess and one seems a bit spotty) but really, if you want to have your machine up and going on 10.5.5 in an hour, it can be done today from retail dvd, with everything that is supported, working.

What we *aim for* is to have that be a painless hour, not one full of confusion and conflict :wacko:

And BTW...did I mention how much of a pain in the ass chameleon dfe for hd is? :)

Is there like an up-to-date doc somewhere for getting this working *correctly* on a one partition system? it is really an elegant solution, just a PITA to implement.

I believe the final 'easy installation issue' for a one-shot once thru boot-132 install is the stupid ACLInject thing.

I concur!! darkten what changes did you make to the boot132 I provided as no matter what I do on mine it moans about a problem with hpet 0!

Thanks for your help, but none of your suggestions have worked. Quick question for those of you who have successfully patched your wireless: In System Profiler >> Network >> AirPort, what's the name of your Wireless Card Type? Mine says Third Party Wireless Card. Just checking to see if my broadcom was correctly detected, or if my problem lies here instead of the hardware switch.

Thanks again.

Hey socialtopher,

Did you try deleting the "Third Party Wireless Card" entry and establishing a new one?

My mini should arrive tomorrow and I hope the wireless will work for me!

There must be some variances in the hardware of these minis, works for some and not for others (wireless, USB etc.)

Thanks again.

how are you booting your machine?

And it is Indentified As Third Party Wireless card in working setups.

In non-working setups, it doesn't exist. I know exactly how to fix this issue; told pete about it.

Good luck; none of my suggestions have worked...

Just my mini ;)

Hey socialtopher,

Did you try deleting the "Third Party Wireless Card" entry and establishing a new one?

My mini should arrive tomorrow and I hope the wireless will work for me!

There must be some variances in the hardware of these minis, works for some and not for others (wireless, USB etc.)

nope. it isn't the hardware, it is the process, specifically what happens post 10.5.5 install.

how are you booting your machine?

And it is Indentified As Third Party Wireless card in working setups.

In non-working setups, it doesn't exist. I know exactly how to fix this issue; told pete about it.

Good luck; none of my suggestions have worked...

Just my mini ;)

nope. it isn't the hardware, it is the process, specifically what happens post 10.5.5 install.

I just ran the broadcom enabler script from a shell and it's always worked for me, have you tried to reset the bios? or disabled then enabled the wlan in the bios etc?

In the interest of community spirit, brotherly love, etc...

IF you:

1 Aren't busy

2 Are having issues

3 Have AIM

4 Have your mini already

5 Have a retail leo dvd and the 10.5.5 combo updater handy

6 Have 45mins to an hour to kill right now

PM me.

I'm going to wipe this machine ONE LAST TIME (heheh, yeah right) and reinstall everything from the latest/greatest working set of {censored} i have here from my 'final' boot132 iso.

If you'd like to be in on this event with live guidance, join me in the AIM chat mini9osxftw. I plan to get started around 330 pm eastern. it is 312 now ;)

In the interest of community spirit, brotherly love, etc...

IF you:

1 Aren't busy

2 Are having issues

3 Have AIM

4 Have your mini already

5 Have a retail leo dvd and the 10.5.5 combo updater handy

6 Have 45mins to an hour to kill right now

PM me.

I'm going to wipe this machine ONE LAST TIME (heheh, yeah right) and reinstall everything from the latest/greatest working set of {censored} i have here from my 'final' boot132 iso.

If you'd like to be in on this event with live guidance, join me in the AIM chat mini9osxftw. I plan to get started around 330 pm eastern. it is 312 now ;)

I don't have AIM unfortunately, can you upload the 'final' boot132 iso so I can try it on my dell?

As I broke mine and did not make a backup lol... *ahem*