Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

I am testing out a guys custom script called instahackintosh so will see if 10.5.1 vanilla (from my leopard dvd) + 10.5.5 with 2 packages (aboutthismac and the realtec nic) = a good or bad custom dvd

No need, Pete.

I worked it out :)

Super clean install from retail dvd. In fact, i believe with this method, one could install, reboot, do a small dance in single user mode, reboot, run thru intitial setup, download 10.5.5 combo updater dmg straight from apple, update, finish.

Here is what i did:

1. Boot from 132 cd, as per usual. On THIS cd however, make sure you *add the bcm43xx_enabler.sh* to your CD. I'll make one, it will be awesome :)

2. at prompt, switch out that cd for the leo retail disk...like ya do.

3. Install leopard.

--what to do at the reboot--

Ok, so we want to reboot with our 132 cd, as per the regular methods...select 80 as your boot device. all normal stuff. Here is where we deviate:

boot into single user mode, ie put -s as your boot option

then, at the prompt, do mount -uw /

NOW, you want to do:

mkdir /Volumes/CDROM

your cd is *likely* /dev/disk1s0...sooo:

mount_cd9660 /dev/disk1s0 /Volumes/CDROM

then, at the prompt, do:

/Volumes/CDROM/bcm43xx_enabler.sh

When it is done, type:

reboot

You should then be able to simply boot from your 132 cd, type 80 as the boot device, and complete the setup :)

I've done this..works like a charm :)

At this point, you'll have an internet-capable mini 9 so you can grab the combo 10.5.5 straight from apple and install *that* clean too.

I'm trying to build a proper packagemaker installer pkg that has all the right mini stuff in it so that basically, post install you just install all the drivers and stuff with one click.

If someone else would like to fight w/packagemaker instead on me, heheh, feel free

:)

No need, Pete.

I worked it out :)

Super clean install from retail dvd. In fact, i believe with this method, one could install, reboot, do a small dance in single user mode, reboot, run thru intitial setup, download 10.5.5 combo updater dmg straight from apple, update, finish.

Here is what i did:

1. Boot from 132 cd, as per usual. On THIS cd however, make sure you *add the bcm43xx_enabler.sh* to your CD. I'll make one, it will be awesome :)

2. at prompt, switch out that cd for the leo retail disk...like ya do.

3. Install leopard.

--what to do at the reboot--

Ok, so we want to reboot with our 132 cd, as per the regular methods...select 80 as your boot device. all normal stuff. Here is where we deviate:

boot into single user mode, ie put -s as your boot option

then, at the prompt, do mount -uw /

NOW, you want to do:

mkdir /Volumes/CDROM

your cd is *likely* /dev/disk1s0...sooo:

mount_cd9660 /dev/disk1s0 /Volumes/CDROM

then, at the prompt, do:

/Volumes/CDROM/bcm43xx_enabler.sh

When it is done, type:

reboot

You should then be able to simply boot from your 132 cd, type 80 as the boot device, and complete the setup :)

I've done this..works like a charm :)

At this point, you'll have an internet-capable mini 9 so you can grab the combo 10.5.5 straight from apple and install *that* clean too.

I'm trying to build a proper packagemaker installer pkg that has all the right mini stuff in it so that basically, post install you just install all the drivers and stuff with one click.

If someone else would like to fight w/packagemaker instead on me, heheh, feel free

:)

very good work darkten, just to make your life a bit easier, here is a package containing all the kexts i use my dell mini, i have also included a apicps2 kext in there too as well as a patched io80211 kext :)

let me know if this is of any use.

btw they are all 10.5.5 kexts.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6ad952b...2db6fb9a8902bda

Hey Guys i went back to my normal OSx86 (10.5.2) disc and i got everythign installe deverything seems pretty solid i used 950 ktext and got it to work only issue im having now is my wireless and ethernet isnt working anyone have the ktext for i, also freaking sound doesnt work either :)

Hey Guys i went back to my normal OSx86 disc and i got everythign installe deverything seems pretty solid i used 950 ktext and got it to work only issue im having now is my wireless isnt working anyone have the ktext for it

hang tight, josh...help is on the way :)

I am about to break my dell with a custom iso kinda made by me..... this is my take on as close to vanilla as i can get even though I do think darkten's method is better :)

or we could just all join forces and create the ultimate dell mini 9 dvd :)

I am about to break my dell with a custom iso kinda made by me..... this is my take on as close to vanilla as i can get even though I do think darkten's method is better ;)

or we could just all join forces and create the ultimate dell mini 9 dvd :D

I think, for the sake of, you know, not-evilness, we stay away from making an iso proper for two reasons:

1. we don't have to. There is something very satisfying about using straight apple files

2. we'll only need a 10MB max iso of a 132 disk to get the job done.

Pete...did you test that package to make sure the perms on the kexts are correct?

Also, can you *add* the Powermanagement.bundle, targeted to /System/Library/SystemConfiguration? This will get proper powermanagement, battery indicator, as well as allow Coolbook to work.

What I was going to build was a package very similar to yours, but with the addition of insomniax app, kexthelper, etc.

Also, does your package include an audio driver?

I think we are hours away from having a very clean install method, with an almost easy to install support package/132 cd.

I really wish we didn't have to dip into single user mode, but it is worth it (to me) to get an install this clean.

I just wished the damned driver for the wireless worked properly off the 132 cd to skip the single user step completely, but none of the oh, 15 attempts or so I made at it actually worked out :)

So with clean 10.5.5 from retail I assume sleep is still kaput. I am getting a 32GB MyDigital drive and it will be here friday I will not have a chance to install until sunday. Instead of copying everything over I will try whatever you have worked out and see if its controller makes any difference on sleep (doubt it will)

im still on osx86 with no wifi or sound, i tried to use the files that someone posted on the unesaysilence page and when i rebooted it kernel panicked any advice? I realized that he wasnt using osx86 though a custom msiwindosx86.iso im downloading right now but its kind of large might take a while..

Oh yeah forgot about that not working and I doubt it ever will as os x does not see it in usb prober(usually internal media reader show up on usb bus) but I hope I am wrong.

And yes the sleep problem is probably SSD controller. I just ordered a mydigital 32GB SSD and will try soon to get another datapoint. Has anyone tried sleep on intel ssds which I here come with some 8GB dells

Oh yeah forgot about that not working and I doubt it ever will as os x does not see it in usb prober(usually internal media reader show up on usb bus) but I hope I am wrong.

And yes the sleep problem is probably SSD controller. I just ordered a mydigital 32GB SSD and will try soon to get another datapoint. Has anyone tried sleep on intel ssds which I here come with some 8GB dells

Do we simply need another patched ICH7 controller or do you mean the sata to pata controller on the ssd itself?

Guys i got mine up and working using the osx86, + the kext that you gave me a while back plus the two files whoever zipped in the archive on the UNEASYsilence board this morning, now all i need is the sleep and the memory card slots working and i'm happy..

I have been able to install and get OSX working perfectly. Problem I have is once I update anything, including installing the fixes for sound and wifi I am no longer able to boot up. Not even using -X flag.

Even doing file updates, excluding the kernel, will prevent me from rebooting.

I am able to log in with -S. Is there a fix I can do in -S?

Please make it simple, I am new to this.

Thanks for all the work so far.

what distro did you use for install?

I followed the instructions on here, http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2008/10/13519/

Was suppose to be a build configured specifically for the Dell Mini.

I've also tried, iAtkos (wouldn't install at all, started but gave me an error) had a successful install of iDeneb. Problem with iDeneb was no sound, screen set at 800x600, and of course no wifi.

I have successfully installed OSX on one of my Desktop PCs, so not a complete noob. That version was iDeneb.

Basically wanting to stick with the pre-built one I found on uneasysilence, since all the setting are already configured. Just had to set up wifi and sound, those installs went correctly, but upon reboot the system locked up.

As stated, I am able to boot using -S. Otherwise, completely unable to boot into OSX.

I've also tried, iAtkos (wouldn't install at all, started but gave me an error) had a successful install of iDeneb. Problem with iDeneb was no sound, screen set at 800x600, and of course no wifi.

That's the one you should have stuck with. You should have selected GMA950 under Intel Graphics when you did the install, that would have fixed the resolution problem, or simply download the GMA950 kext's posted here. Download the BCM patch script posted here for your wifi, and the audio patch program.. These are all linked here in this thread. You're making this far harder than it needs to be.

Do we simply need another patched ICH7 controller or do you mean the sata to pata controller on the ssd itself?

The drive is a PCI-E card. That means it's on a PCI bus. The PCI bus is not an IDE controller of any sort, not SATA, not PATA. Therefore, the card itself must have an IDE controller on it. Be it SATA or PATA.

That said, yeah, I imagine the Intel card would be tons more compatible, since OSX loves everything Intel.. (Except Wifi for some reason) The trick would be actually finding an Intel SSD, since even the earliest shipped Mini9's got the faster STEC drive. And then there's the trick of fitting OSX onto an 8gig drive in general. Last I heard, the only person to try it couldn't get it to boot. It's just too small.