Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

I did a little research into the stec sdd.. and it is listed on the stec website as PATA

PATA, SATA, either way, I don't think that's the issue. My Atom desktop machine slept and woke up just fine with a PATA drive. The issue is that the controller isn't the Intel ICH..

Alrighty; I'm building my final 132 disk for this thing; i *believe* i know how to deal with the NIC problem and can therefore avoid the single user mode hackery.

This disc will basically let one boot the mini, do a retail install, and have a chameleon setup that has all of the required working bootastic mini kexts that are known to be working and stable, the idea being a machine that looks like osx and should be worry and hassle-free for updates...

Will let y'all know if it is ready for prime time soon, so everyone after us won't have to go thru this :(

Every so often I get KP on shutdown on iAtkos 4i 10.5.5 as well about every 4th time and much more when on battery.

OK couple more things.

1. A01 Bios rev came out yesterday

2. I did not want to install windows to install it so I made a xp flash drive using PE Builder

3. It installs fine from the flash drive (make sure and re-enable legacy support before you try and boot from usb drive)

4. Make sure machine is plugged in or you get a weird error

Bad news is it made no difference on the sleep issue :(

Not sure what exactly it fixed.

Hi,

I am excited to look into this thread to follow up the latest discovery.

I would like to also try it out, but I do not know which distro I should use or maybe I should still wait for a while.

I saw people talking about approaches using various patched versions

iATKOS

Kalyway

MSIWindos86

and about the approach using the retail DVD with something called code132.

Reading the recent posts, it seems that iATKOS 4i 10.5.4 (or 5?) and the code132 approaches are more preffered than the others. But I don't know the differences. (I read the differences between iATKOS and Kalyway in terms of their general characteristics but I don't know how they apply to the dell mini. And I don't know how MSIWindos86 compares to these two.)

Could someone briefly explain to me the differences of the above approaches and tell me what the most recommended approach is?

Thank you very much.

How long until someone makes an ISO we can burn, pop into an external DVD, and have it install a working 10.5.5 on our Dell mini?

Including, sound, wifi, card reader, and sleep.

Anyone?

The card reader is NEVER going to work. As for a CD to pop in, darkten is pretty darn close with the Boot132 method and a couple of packages you run afterwards. His solution is great because the Boot132 ISO is like 40megs to download, tops, and requires you to have the Retail CD, which helps support Apple, without whom, we'd have nothing to hack. :)

Is there anyway to get any kind of touchpad scrolling working? In windows the touchpad has vertical scrolling along the right side, but it doesn't work in osx. I know it isn't multitouch so no two finger scrolling, but if there is anyway to scroll from the trackpad I would be happy.

Also my video playback in fullscreen mode is very jumpy. Ihave the 950 kext installed and quartz is extreme enabled. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all the info and hard work!

Not sure about that video, other than to say it should not have that problem. The machine is plenty powerful enough to not have that problem. How much ram do you have? With 512 I can imagine it happening. OSX really likes 2 gigs of ram.

Many pages back in this thread, someone mentioned changing the sleep modes. Apparently there are two modes, one is "standby" and the other is "hibernate", as they'd be called in the windows world. The video showing the Wind that sleeps is definitely using standby rather than sleep. Have we tried both methods? I could live with the much slower hibernate, if it will do the trick to make it work at all.

On a side note, the built in microphone DOES work with the audio driver posted in this thread.. <_<

** retail dvd install update **

quick heads up everyone before i go sleep (1.10am here!) i will soon have a hopefully fully working boot132 iso image working...

working from usb stick.

1. ethernet

2. wireless

i have successfully connected to my wireless network from within the installation dvd so this is a good sign and will post it on mediafire once i am happy with it.

this should also fix the problem with a constant loop after you say you do not want to transfer information too.

once i have reinstalled... probably the 20th time so far lol i will post if the graphics, sound and hmmm battery works too..

also very important....

use clonezilla it backs up and restores hfs+ perfectly and no issues with bootsector too, i have restored 8gb in a matter of only 10 mins so beat that time machine!!

pete

Excellent Pete!

Allow me to go ahead and add this piece of info: the MSIWind ISOs floating around out there do not help our situation; the sleep issue is the same...

Additionally, these do NOT do clean installs; therefore I see no real advanatage to them. I did notice tho, that upon boot, these dvds are in the proper graphics mode.

I am quite curious to get my hands on your 132, pete; I could not make one that did not choke on boot when the modified networking kext was included.

Hurry, hurry, so that I may wipe this thig for the last time, and actually start *using* it :angel:

Excellent Pete!

Allow me to go ahead and add this piece of info: the MSIWind ISOs floating around out there do not help our situation; the sleep issue is the same...

Additionally, these do NOT do clean installs; therefore I see no real advanatage to them. I did notice tho, that upon boot, these dvds are in the proper graphics mode.

I am quite curious to get my hands on your 132, pete; I could not make one that did not choke on boot when the modified networking kext was included.

Hurry, hurry, so that I may wipe this thig for the last time, and actually start *using* it :)

Bluetooth Working!!!

Guys, to get bluetooth working, you must have activated WLAN + Bluetooth using the Dell Switch Utility when in Windows XP. If it is not selected...(in my case i only had WLAN activated), the bluetooth did not work in MacOSX. It was only until i booted of a USB win xp install and activated the Bluetooth using the provided drivers, that it worked in mac when i rebooted into osx!...just be careful.

Ok I'm really excited for this, cause if it works and if we actually get boot -132 to work

This is my next purchase for sure.

Where can i buy one ?

Can i buy from best buy or futureshop ? or Online only?

They are all over Craigslist, and at surprisingly reasonable prices. So yeah, you could buy one locally that way.

Here is the method I have used to get a clean vanilla install working on a retail version of osx.

1. download and create a bootable usb with the files from http://www.mediafire.com/file/z1oiyqmhqay/BootLoader.zip

2. create a guid partition table and format as required

3. you MUST turn airport on and MUST connect to a wireless network or the looping bug will occur

4. it will say it failed right at the end, just ignore this as it's not a proper mac!

5. boot from the usb again and select your macintosh installation and then follow the instructions to complete the install

6. once installed use kext helper or osx86tools to install all the kexts from http://www.mediafire.com/file/dmzfzwd2yyi/Extensions.zip

7. use chameleon to install an efi bootloader

8. remove all usb devices and reboot

Working from boot.

wireless

ethernet

bluetooth

after this its just a case of installing 10.5.5 (you will need to reapply all kexts after doing this), also you still need to run the alc installer for the sound as not worked out how to get that working yet from boot132 but will endeavour to get this fixed too.

i think thats everything, if i missed anything out or something does not work let me know.

Here is the method I have used to get a clean vanilla install working on a retail version of osx.

1. download and create a bootable usb with the files from http://www.mediafire.com/file/z1oiyqmhqay/BootLoader.zip

2. create a guid partition table and format as required

3. you MUST turn airport on and MUST connect to a wireless network or the looping bug will occur

4. it will say it failed right at the end, just ignore this as it's not a proper mac!

5. boot from the usb again and select your macintosh installation and then follow the instructions to complete the install

6. once installed use kext helper or osx86tools to install all the kexts from http://www.mediafire.com/file/dmzfzwd2yyi/Extensions.zip

7. use chameleon to install an efi bootloader

8. remove all usb devices and reboot

Working from boot.

wireless

ethernet

bluetooth

after this its just a case of installing 10.5.5 (you will need to reapply all kexts after doing this), also you still need to run the alc installer for the sound as not worked out how to get that working yet from boot132 but will endeavour to get this fixed too.

i think thats everything, if i missed anything out or something does not work let me know.

Could you just not put the kexts in chameleons secondary extensions folder? This would mean that you can apply all updates and have no ill effects. Either that or install boot 123 onto a small partition on the SSD.

By the way, does the webcam work under OSX?

Also has anybody tried the new voodoo beta kernel, perhaps this will solve the sleep?

Could you just not put the kexts in chameleons secondary extensions folder? This would mean that you can apply all updates and have no ill effects. Either that or install boot 123 onto a small partition on the SSD.

Yeah...here is the thing...

I personally haven't found a 'proper' chameleon for hd where all of these things actually...work :) Definative docs seem to be like, disallowed or something, because, my understanding is that you put your 'skank' kexts into /Extra/Extensions on your boot drive, and voila!

This isn't quite working...perhaps you can point us towards a Known Good ChameleonDFE that does this properly off the ssd?

By the way, does the webcam work under OSX?

It sure does.

Also has anybody tried the new voodoo beta kernel, perhaps this will solve the sleep?

never even heard of it :)