Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

Just FYI. I have tried boot 132 with my mini 9 and a retail 10.5 DVD and after loading the retail DVD I get a beachball right after the background loads (before any dialog loads) and it will not proceed. I am going to try it with my 10.5.2 macbook pro dvd and see if it is any different.

Granted that is true but the other iso's are much better i think, kudos to everyone!

I think yeah its luck of the draw, maybe when more people get their's we can do a hardware comparison and see which ones work the best?

Hmm good question I guess it comes down to what you will use it for, i chose the dell over the 1000h because i felt anything bigger than 8.9" was getting too close to 'proper' laptop territory.

I have a macbook pro as well so not really into dualbooting, but if you want to do that here is a link below which may help ;)

http://iatkos.wikidot.com/instructions

Thanks ill read that site - I saw somewhere else that all 16GB are stec and all 8 and 4 are intel, it might not be true tho

And the 1000h I think is way too big and heavy now that I look at it, BUT THERES A NEW CONTENDER!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EYV9T...p;s=electronics

acer aspire 6 cell 160 GB for only $400

and its only 2.2 pounds and has a WWAN slot...

should I wait for this to arrive?

Thanks ill read that site - I saw somewhere else that all 16GB are stec and all 8 and 4 are intel, it might not be true tho

And the 1000h I think is way too big and heavy now that I look at it, BUT THERES A NEW CONTENDER!!!

It does look cool any idea's on the release date? And I guess if you're patient I would wait if not then go for the Dell!

Got issues with.

1. bluetooth not working after adding a device

2. sleep mode not working

3. speedstep not working

4. restoring from time machine renders it unbootable until you boot from a usb key (boot132) and use chameleon to repair

Aw, Snap. Anything I can do to help out? Man I went buck wild last night and ordered the mini with ubuntu pre-loaded.

I think the best thing is to do what I do and backup and play till you break it ;)

Myself and Type11 just got his booting up finally as somehow the mach_kernel was missing from the root of the sdd which is very weird!

Waiting for the final release of the voodoo 9.5.0 darwin kernel to see if that fixes any issues, here is hoping..

does any laptop successfully sleep on hackintosh?

I think that is fast becoming the holy grail! I get 3 hours out of my battery but I have to keep nudging the mouse cause if it sleeps its power off and on again time :(

To speed up my ship date and as I knew I was going to wipe it anyway I ordered mine with windows xp and thanks to PeteRocks help now have everything working that he does. I will try and get sleep to work that is my priority #1.

I would like to try and get ubuntu onto a flash drive or SD card. I installed the 8.04.1 version to try it and the wireless does not work nor can I find support for it. IF there is anyway you can post the dell ubuntu iso I would really appreciate it. i can give you ftp if need be

thanks!

To speed up my ship date and as I knew I was going to wipe it anyway I ordered mine with windows xp and thanks to PeteRocks help now have everything working that he does. I will try and get sleep to work that is my priority #1.

I would like to try and get ubuntu onto a flash drive or SD card. I installed the 8.04.1 version to try it and the wireless does not work nor can I find support for it. IF there is anyway you can post the dell ubuntu iso I would really appreciate it. i can give you ftp if need be

thanks!

Not a problem, when I get mine I will be more than happy to post up a ghost image or image of the dell disc's.

So updated to 10.5.5 and added the IntelCPUMDisabler.kext before I did. Everything went ok until reboot. It appears the speedstep kext no longer works.

IMG_0002.JPG

I moved that kext out and the machines came all the way up with 10.5.5. I went through add did the scripts, packages and kext again.

However on reboot it hangs now. In the log everything looks ok but the last thing it say is could not contact time.apple.com and freezes.

Humm. I think I might go back to 10.5.4 and do the 10.5.5 update first before anything else.

What does it mean that speedstep is not working (does this mean it actually was working on 10.5.4 I thought it wasn't?) other than my battery life will be worse?

cheers

sorry did not know it was going to make that pict so big!

I ordered mine with Ubuntu despite the serious delay in shipment for two reasons. One, I hate Microsoft. :blink: hehe, and Two, I want Dell to know without a doubt that there is real demand for computers with alternative OS's on them. (Maybe if Psystart wins, I can just order a Dell with my preferred OS, someday...)

from what I understand and from looking at it it is an mPCI-Express slot with the SSD module in it. The good part is I have heard others tried the same thing from another computer that was 32GB and it worked fine in the Dell. So it is upgradeable but it is not a standard SATA part (much smaller)

I got a Dell Mini 9 with an 8gb SSD and it's an STEC. :)

Dear PeteRock and Type11,

thanks for you posts on getting OSX on Dell mini, but I humble ask if you could make an full update on what works and what does not work?

My questions around this is:

1. Sound, does built in micophone work? And what about line-in michophone? Speakers work, but how about headphone?

2. Card-readers, do they work?

Else I understand, most other stuff works fine, e.g. Graphic and Wifi works fine!

I am likely either going for a Dell Mini if they ever comes to Denmark :-)

Best Regards,

KBN

Dear PeteRock and Type11,

thanks for you posts on getting OSX on Dell mini, but I humble ask if you could make an full update on what works and what does not work?

My questions around this is:

1. Sound, does built in micophone work? And what about line-in michophone? Speakers work, but how about headphone?

2. Card-readers, do they work?

Else I understand, most other stuff works fine, e.g. Graphic and Wifi works fine!

I am likely either going for a Dell Mini if they ever comes to Denmark :-)

Best Regards,

KBN

KBN

not tried mic or headphone as of yet but can try that tonight when I am home from work.

the card reader is not even seen by osx so not sure this will ever work.

Hi PeteRock, thanks to your guide, i installed macosx on my mini 9 today, and works like a charm...I turned off the sleep function in preferences so it never goes to sleep. i'm currently running it off a usb hdd, but would like to image it onto an 8gb SD card that i have, but need to format it first in HFS+...but am trying to find out how. My USB media card reader won't work with the SD in it...so if anyone has any clues, please let me know...

wifi works, sound works, graphics acceleration works (display running at 1024*600)

My dell mini 9 also has an 8GB stec ssd. I cant seem to get osx86 installed on the mini, the installer goes through all the steps but on the first reboot it doesnt see any operating system on the ssd. Could this be a problem with the 8gb ssd not having enough room for the install (the install media says its for drives of 12gb or so). I've got a 32gb ssd coming tomorrow so I'll give that a try

32gb SSD

The ssd's are this formfactor for anyone interested.

MDSSD32MLC-Phr.jpg

My dell mini 9 also has an 8GB stec ssd. I cant seem to get osx86 installed on the mini, the installer goes through all the steps but on the first reboot it doesnt see any operating system on the ssd. Could this be a problem with the 8gb ssd not having enough room for the install (the install media says its for drives of 12gb or so). I've got a 32gb ssd coming tomorrow so I'll give that a try

32gb SSD

The ssd's are this formfactor for anyone interested.

MDSSD32MLC-Phr.jpg

mackzilla let me know if this ssd is fast enough and works. At that price its worth the upgrade.

Any ideas on the installer going all the way to the final reboot but the mini 9 thinking there's no OS on the ssd at all?

It seems to go through a network pxe boot, even though i tell it to boot from the ssd, then says no operating system found.

This also happens if i restore the installer .iso to a flash drive and try to install from there.

Any ideas on the installer going all the way to the final reboot but the mini 9 thinking there's no OS on the ssd at all?

It seems to go through a network pxe boot, even though i tell it to boot from the ssd, then says no operating system found.

This also happens if i restore the installer .iso to a flash drive and try to install from there.

When you did the partitioning did you choose mbr or guid?