Dell Inspiron Mini 9 ?

jns_mt

839 posts in this topic

I've installed mine on a 8gb usb flash drive with iDenab 10.5.5 and it boots fine and shuts down fine.. no errors. When I close the lid, it does go to sleep.. I see the power LED flashing, but when I open up the lid, it stays on the spinning beachball. I don't know much about the Boot321 method, so I'm not sure how to do that. I'm gonna try that Insomnia program though.

Edit: Ok.. it looks like InsomniaX does the trick.. now when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep! :) It just shuts the LCD off. When I open it back up everything still works.

Does anyone know how I can make it start up automatically after startup?

Also.. I don't know if this was mentioned before, but I think the little battery meter shows the correct amount of battery time left on my laptop too... At least it's moving downward.. and started around 3 hours. :)

Edit again:

It looks like if I shut down on battery power, it doesn't shut down all the way.. but plugged in it does.

Edit: Ok.. it looks like InsomniaX does the trick.. now when I close the lid it doesn't go to sleep! :( It just shuts the LCD off. When I open it back up everything still works.

I thought that might d the trick. A combination of InsomniaX and optimal "barely there" Coolbook settings might be "close enough" until a hardware-level solution is found, if one is...

Does anyone know how I can make it start up automatically after startup?

Yes. the easy way actually is to simply make the app run when you log in. To do this, run System Preferences, and choose 'Accounts'.

Then click on your login, and select the "Login Items" tab on the right. Click the "+" button near the bottom of the screen, then navigate to you copy of InsomniaX, most likely installed in your Applications folder.

That's it.

Here is a screenshot if it will help:

post-7165-1222763989_thumb.png

Yeah, got an email back from mydigitaldiscount today, not going to be a problem at all to exchange it. Hopefully my post will save other people from ordering the wrong one in the future. I agree about the "standard".. WTH? Looks like all 3 of the PCI-e slots are shorter than "normal" in our Mini9..

dell is taking FOREVER to ship these things!!! blah!

I agree.. I refused to order it with Windows, and it sure feels like I'm being punished. I thought, when I ordered the thing on September 4th, that the ship date was a "worst case scenario", and it'd have to ship sooner.. Geeze.. Nope, still looks like they're hell bent on shipping it on the 10th of October.. My neighbor ordered a Windows unit about a week after I ordered mine, he got his last week. It's not fair! I'll add this to my list of reasons why I hate Microsoft.. hehehe..

Some guy locally here in Nashville had like 5 of them he was selling through Craigslist said he got them cheap from Dell, (there is a dell plant here in Nashville that might something to do with it) he sold me a Maxed out Black with XP Home for 350$ i'd rather do this than wait 2 weeks and pay another 150-200.. now im just trying to get OSx86 on it and ill be set

I am presently doing an install from retail dvd via boot 132 cd for ultimate in clean install...will advise.

I can say up front that i may/must have missed something in the creation of my disk, or the bios setup as i have no keys/mouse onboard. will look into this shortly...

Did someone post what BIOS settings should be in place for this machine?

I am presently doing an install from retail dvd via boot 132 cd for ultimate in clean install...will advise.

I can say up front that i may/must have missed something in the creation of my disk, or the bios setup as i have no keys/mouse onboard. will look into this shortly...

Did someone post what BIOS settings should be in place for this machine?

Some guy locally here in Nashville had like 5 of them he was selling through Craigslist said he got them cheap from Dell, (there is a dell plant here in Nashville that might something to do with it) he sold me a Maxed out Black with XP Home for 350$ i'd rather do this than wait 2 weeks and pay another 150-200.. now im just trying to get OSx86 on it and ill be set

very good deal. u lucky {censored}.

The only Thing I do in bios other than leaving it at default is to turn of usb legacy (it gets closer to restore after sleep with it off)

I also tried boot123 when I first got it with retail dvd but it never got past the first install screen it just beachballed. Let us know what you find

It does look cool any idea's on the release date? And I guess if you're patient I would wait if not then go for the Dell!

Hey Pete can you help me out a bit, i downloaded iatkos 4.0, i dont understand what you mean by the vanilla install and the ktext of the other i went in the customize and leave the two that are already selected and then i chose the 950 and the speed thing.. Then when i hit install the screen just goes blue has the background showing and thats it... am i doing something wrong? if you could help me out id appericiate it

I have modified the intelgma950 and intelframebuffer kexts with the help of slinger2g and also dave fiore, they are kexts from 10.5.5 and do not require natit.kext anymore.

type11 i think the sleep problem is also related to the display driver as well, with these 2 new kexts (attached) the display now does not wake up when it did before (nothing else modified)..

here's the files as well if anyone is interested!

josh if you just select the vanilla acpi and kernel and leave everything else unticked that should work too.

AppleIntelGMA950.kext.zip

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.zip

Hey Pete is the vanilla the iatkos v4i main system and the darwin bootloader? or is that the applecipplatform.kext and kernel 9.4.0, i dont see anything saying vanillaacpi and the kernel?

sorry josh i am doing this from memory as i am using ideneb currently, you need iatkos v4i main system, darwin bootloader, apple acpi and kernel 9.4.0 ;)

Pete, so with the new ones without using natit do they really provide anything? I am happy to mess with them but let me know the advantage.

Just one note for me on my iAtkos 4i disk if I *DID* select 950 and speedstep (think speedstep was key) on reboot I would not get the mach_kernel in the root of install. However if I just did base, bootloader, acpi, and vanilla kernel it was installed fine. I would leave those off as you will be changing them after anyway.

BTW got speedstep working with coolbook don't know why I had version 1 of coolbook 1 swear I downloaded newest. Anyway with the newest 2.x it works fine thanks pete.

cheers

Hi guys.

Can we get a comprehensive kext list going? I am attempting to make a boot 132 for this machine. My goal is:

1. No patched distro installation; simply grab proper boot 132 iso, your 10.5.x leo retail dvd and run with it.

2. a *single* .pkg that does any needed post-install jiggery-pokery.

going thru this thread, i've got some "i think this is the set that works" action, but specifically i need:

1. whatever kext(s) from ideneb/iatkos that uses the the keys and trackpad

2. the correct kexts for the wireless

I've got the whole day blocked off to dedicate to this, so any/all input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Pete, so with the new ones without using natit do they really provide anything? I am happy to mess with them but let me know the advantage.

Just one note for me on my iAtkos 4i disk if I *DID* select 950 and speedstep (think speedstep was key) on reboot I would not get the mach_kernel in the root of install. However if I just did base, bootloader, acpi, and vanilla kernel it was installed fine. I would leave those off as you will be changing them after anyway.

BTW got speedstep working with coolbook don't know why I had version 1 of coolbook 1 swear I downloaded newest. Anyway with the newest 2.x it works fine thanks pete.

cheers

I have not noticed any difference with either these ones or the ones I used originally apart from the fact they are the most recent drivers from apple so i am assuming better lol.

have you checked the battery life with and without coolbook loaded as mine never goes above 3 hours!

Is ideneb a easier clean install?

they are pretty much the same although getting coolbook working under ideneb was a complete pain in the a$$! the benefit with ideneb is it comes as standard with 10.5.5

Hi guys.

Can we get a comprehensive kext list going? I am attempting to make a boot 132 for this machine. My goal is:

1. No patched distro installation; simply grab proper boot 132 iso, your 10.5.x leo retail dvd and run with it.

2. a *single* .pkg that does any needed post-install jiggery-pokery.

going thru this thread, i've got some "i think this is the set that works" action, but specifically i need:

I've got the whole day blocked off to dedicate to this, so any/all input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

ideneb you just have to select the intel ich chipset driver only or it will refuse to boot, no other things needed for keys/pad

this is done using a script which modifies some files to add support for the wireless afaik there is no dedicated kext yet for this.

hope this helps and i have attached all the kexts i am currently using for your help.

Kexts.zip

ideneb you just have to select the intel ich chipset driver only or it will refuse to boot, no other things needed for keys/pad

Ah. Perhaps I was not clear here:

When I boot with my boot 132 disc and the leo installer runs, the mini's mouse and keys do not work...but externally connected ones do.

I need whatever iDeneb is loading at boot to fix this.

Ah. Perhaps I was not clear here:

When I boot with my boot 132 disc and the leo installer runs, the mini's mouse and keys do not work...but externally connected ones do.

I need whatever iDeneb is loading at boot to fix this.

Ahh got ya now darkten, i think somewhere on this thread is a zipped up copy of my boot132 image which has a fully working keyboard and mouse, if you cannot find it give me a shout and i will upload it again to this thread.

scrap that here is the zip file again!

BOOTLOADER.zip