[GUIDE] Leopard on an XPS 1330/1530

wingrunr21

1,088 posts in this topic

Now, i'm stuck on something else. This might be because i've installed a new hard drive (The one that came with my m1530 is full and i can't afford to loose any data from it). Here is the screenshot with the error while on the first 1-2% of installation:

Any idea how to get past this error?

Try repartitioning your hard drive. Use the Disk utility in the SL install disk/usb stick. Erase and repartition it as Mac OS Extended Journaled.

No, I'm almost certain i deleted the correct kext. I deleted it from the S/L/E in my USB. I also deleted it from S/L/E from my newly installed SL partition. I was finally able to get SL to install (it took a looooooong time, about 1.5 hours) but now i keep getting the same KP after using it for about 25 sec.

Try booting in 32 bit mode. At boot time, where you put -v, put arch=i386. What version of chameleon are you using??

I'm pretty sure it has to do with cmos reset, you can use a patched dsdt, with a cmos reset fix and it will get you past this error.

How can i do that? is there a tutorial or an existing version?

Try booting in 32 bit mode. At boot time, where you put -v, put arch=i386. What version of chameleon are you using??

That worked, but SL is working extremely slow. Not really worth having it work if it's going to work that slow. And i'm using Chameleon Boot loader 2 RC1

Anything else i might be able to try?

donkey wrote in this post (my fault for replying in both):

I noticed that you found the timer in the other post (ie this post). Pretty much any m1530 can work with 10.6x. You just have to have time time and patience to install it... The new error that you posted on other guide thread could be associated with perhaps deleting the wrong kext? Have you deleted IOATAFamily from the USB now?

I have deleted IOATAFamily from the USB. As you can see in the latest error, it seems to stop on IOStorageFamily.kext(1.6). I haven't deleted any other kext file.

At last, i have got SL on my m1530. But, i still don't have wifi support or sound. How can i get SL to detect the wifi and sound hardware? I'm assuming it's easy to get connected to the wifi once it has found the hardware. I've looked at donkey's guide about doing something with IO80211.kext but i don't know what to edit.

Thanks in advance.

Try changing to Chameleon v2 rc3.

Thanks! that seems to have worked. Now i'm going to try and re install it to see if it gets working better. Like i mentioned earlier, its working really slow. It took me like 1.5 hours to actually install it! so I'm guessing something didn't install correctly.

Finally got SL working. Thanks to everyone who answered all my n00bish questions!

One more thing, has anyone managed to get two-finger scrolling for snow leopard? this is one feature that i really do miss from my 10.5.7

Yes, got it to work. Also the info is on this thread on how to get it working. Its simple. replace your trackpad kext with one for Alps Trackpad from voodooprojects. You can find the Alps trackpad kext in VoodooPS2Controller.kext. Repair permissions and it works....

If you want to use the trckpad prefPane in System Preferences then make changes to info.plist. This info has been detailed and listed in this thread.

At last, i have got SL on my m1530. But, i still don't have wifi support or sound. How can i get SL to detect the wifi and sound hardware? I'm assuming it's easy to get connected to the wifi once it has found the hardware. I've looked at donkey's guide about doing something with IO80211.kext but i don't know what to edit.

Thanks in advance.

Hi again,

I had a try again of the wifi configuration thing but i couldn't see where to exactly change what. Any help on my above problem would be greatly appriciated. I have a Dell wireless 1395 card manufactured by broadcom.

Hi again,

I had a try again of the wifi configuration thing but i couldn't see where to exactly change what. Any help on my above problem would be greatly appriciated. I have a Dell wireless 1395 card manufactured by broadcom.

This is what I did to get it to work. I have the same one as you. I also had to reinstall it after upgrading to 10.6.2

Broadcom 43XX

As for the sound, try this one. You have to delete AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E. VoodooHDA

Yes, got it to work. Also the info is on this thread on how to get it working. Its simple. replace your trackpad kext with one for Alps Trackpad from voodooprojects. You can find the Alps trackpad kext in VoodooPS2Controller.kext. Repair permissions and it works....

If you want to use the trckpad prefPane in System Preferences then make changes to info.plist. This info has been detailed and listed in this thread.

Tried that one already but it didn't work. I'm probably doing something wrong. Am I supposed to remove any other kexts to get this one to work?

Tried that one already but it didn't work. I'm probably doing something wrong. Am I supposed to remove any other kexts to get this one to work?

Install these two in /Extra/Extensions/

repair permissions and rebuild kext cache. I am assuming you have a 1530 with SL.

You will find the kexts here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1343636

This is what I did to get it to work. I have the same one as you. I also had to reinstall it after upgrading to 10.6.2

Broadcom 43XX

As for the sound, try this one. You have to delete AppleHDA.kext from S/L/E. VoodooHDA

Thanks Kevinmayer86, both the wifi and sound now work. Any idea on how to make SL recognise my GPU as Nvidia 8600m and not just Nvidia Generic?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just noticed a problem in the install of sl. When i click on about this mac, it is identifying the CPU speed as 2.5GHz when the CPU in my m1530 is 2.0GHz. How can i change this so that it actually is 2.0GHz? This is probably the reason why my CPU fan is always on and at full speed :(

Also, how do i change the DSDT from the generic one to a different one?

Thanks

I've just noticed a problem in the install of sl. When i click on about this mac, it is identifying the CPU speed as 2.5GHz when the CPU in my m1530 is 2.0GHz. How can i change this so that it actually is 2.0GHz? This is probably the reason why my CPU fan is always on and at full speed :rolleyes:

Also, how do i change the DSDT from the generic one to a different one?

Thanks

Set the clock speed in smbios.plist.

For the DSDT, I used this guide by immo.

I'm having some heat-problems recently. While gaming (I tried World of Warcraft, The Sims, Urban Terror), my laptop gets very hot, constantly about 85-95°C. Sometimes, it appears to jump over 100°C, and my laptop shuts off (because of the hardware, I guess). I don't know when this started, I only now that I did not have these problems about 3 months ago. It only appears when the both GPU and CPU are 'heavily' used.

I tried various fan-controlling applications, but none of them worked. I8kfan at least shows me the RPM of my fan, and says that it never speeds up fully, even at 97°C.

My constant temperature is about 50-55°C (while using Adium, Thunderbird, iTunes, Textedit, Skype, Firefox, Safari, ...).

I have an M1530 with 2.4Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT with 256mb, and 4GB RAM. I built my own DSDT with the guide by immo linked in this thread, with working speedstep and graphics (QE,CI).

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this issue? I would be very thankful :)

CryzHiss

I'm having some heat-problems recently. While gaming (I tried World of Warcraft, The Sims, Urban Terror), my laptop gets very hot, constantly about 85-95°C. Sometimes, it appears to jump over 100°C, and my laptop shuts off (because of the hardware, I guess). I don't know when this started, I only now that I did not have these problems about 3 months ago. It only appears when the both GPU and CPU are 'heavily' used.

I tried various fan-controlling applications, but none of them worked. I8kfan at least shows me the RPM of my fan, and says that it never speeds up fully, even at 97°C.

My constant temperature is about 50-55°C (while using Adium, Thunderbird, iTunes, Textedit, Skype, Firefox, Safari, ...).

I have an M1530 with 2.4Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT with 256mb, and 4GB RAM. I built my own DSDT with the guide by immo linked in this thread, with working speedstep and graphics (QE,CI).

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this issue? I would be very thankful :rolleyes:

CryzHiss

Clean out your fan vents

Clean out your fan vents

D'oh. Should have thought of that. Thank you very much, I think that did the job. At least my laptop is about 5-10°C cooler than before under normal load, and it didn't go over 75°C during a quick test. :(

Hi,

Please I need help! I've been the last 48 hours trying to install SL on my laptop M1530.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

First of all I have almost the same laptop as Brett:

Brett: Dell XPS M1530 - T9300 - nVidia 8600M GT (256Mb) - 4Gb DDR2 - 320Gb SATA - 1680x1050px LCD

Mine: Dell XPS M1530 - T9300 - nVidia 8600M GT (256Mb) - 4Gb DDR2 - 500Gb SATA - 1920x1200px LCD

I follow all the steps of the guide (post #706). I also use his DSDT file because I have the same CPU. Everything works fine until I get to the installation, I untick the printer and the languages (I'm spanish but I don't mind using it in English) and when it starts the installation in less than a minute I have a KP.

If I start whit -v I had the error:

oirm0.jpg

Do you have any ideas? Plz!!!

Thank you all!

Hi,

Please I need help! I've been the last 48 hours trying to install SL on my laptop M1530.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

First of all I have almost the same laptop as Brett:

Brett: Dell XPS M1530 - T9300 - nVidia 8600M GT (256Mb) - 4Gb DDR2 - 320Gb SATA - 1680x1050px LCD

Mine: Dell XPS M1530 - T9300 - nVidia 8600M GT (256Mb) - 4Gb DDR2 - 500Gb SATA - 1920x1200px LCD

I follow all the steps of the guide (post #706). I also use his DSDT file because I have the same CPU. Everything works fine until I get to the installation, I untick the printer and the languages (I'm spanish but I don't mind using it in English) and when it starts the installation in less than a minute I have a KP.

If I start whit -v I had the error:

oirm0.jpg

Do you have any ideas? Plz!!!

Thank you all!

I don't understand what Brett Whinnen think writing "The kext is /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext, remove the whole directory, we don't want it or need it.". What directory? S/L/E?

I have Dell XPS M1530 with C2D T7700 CPU, GF8600M GT and everything works fine with IOATAFamily.kext.

Try to install it in that way:

1. Using working OS X on the second drive create Mac OS Extended (Jurnaled) partition (HDD formated with GUID) and call it for example "Macintosh HD".

2. Check if "Ignore ownership on this volume" is unchecked (you will find it in "get info" in the bottom).

3. Install OSInstall.mpkg from Snow retail disk on your "Macintosh HD", but firstly customize installation by disabling all printer drivers, rosetta and language packages. It should install correctly. (Additional packages like languages, printer you can install later).

4. Now install Chameleon 2 RC3 on "Macintosh HD" and put all files from my package* in Extra folder on "Macintosh HD". Delete themes folder, because my theme is for 1280x800 resolution and it won't work correct (probably).

5. Reboot and cross your fingers :).

6. I don't know why but VoodooHDA doesn't work when is located in E/E. If you want sound rename VoodooHDA.kext to AppleHDA.kext and put it in S/L/E instead of original AppleHDA.kext,. (Do it when system boot up correctly and after update to 10.6.2). Remember that you have to repair permissions for all additional kexts in S/L/E. Do it in that way:

sudo -s 
cd /System/Library/Extensions 
chown -R 0:0 kext_name.kext 
chmod -R 755 kext_name.kext
rm -R /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches 
exit

Remeber that Disk Utility repairs permissions only for original apple kexts and it's not enough!

*Package which I called "my package" is not my package. It was created by someone from this forum, but I can't remember who. Into my package I put some files from this "someones" package.

My package:

http://rapidshare.com/files/327406769/Extra.zip.html

P.S.

DSDT.aml in "my package" is not even for exactly my computer and everything works fine. It's probably generatet for your computer. (I have T7700 CPU, your is T9300).

That was written before the updates to the DSDT were made for the IOATAFamily.kext and subsequent plugins. What the text said was to remove that kext and only that kext, not /S/L/E...

My DSDT.aml is also completely generic for a M1530, it is found in the building a DSDT for the M1530/M1330 thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

Cheers

Brett

I also posted this in the XPS Compilation thread, not sure which is the current active one.

I've been reading this and other forums for days. I've searched, I've downloaded, and downloaded, but for the life of me I cannot get any version to install on my 1330. I apologize if there is a thread that addresses this, but i've read, and read, and searched, and searched, and didn't find one. Though I admit I could be over looking it, I do have probably over 30 tabs open between 5 windows right now.

I've tried iAtkos v1, v5, and v7. I've read that v4 works well but have been unable to download it. I've tried iPC 10.5.6, Leo4All 10.5.2, Kalyway 10.5.2, iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 and iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite. None of these will install.

iAtkos v1 comes closest. The installer will load, I do the necessary work in disk utility, it verifies the disc and starts to install, but not long after it fails with the error "the installer could not validate the contents of the 10.5.1 intel package" I've tried searching for solutions to this error to no avail. I tried installing darwin beforehand, I've tried not installing it before.

iAtkos 5, Kalyway & Leo4All don't even finish loading, they all give me the same message of "Extention "com.apple.driver.apci_smc_platformplugin" has immediate dependencies and bot com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use one style"

I've googled these errors and tried all the solutions I was able to find- often trying a different version, all with no success.

iAtkos 7, iPC, and both iDeneb versions all just stop without any error given just after the "Mac framework enabled" line. Enabling the Dual Core will result in a kernel panic for at least 1 of these, I've tried so many versions at this point I can't keep them straight.

From the best I could gather, I have my bios settings correct. I've disabled the multi-core and all the other cpu enhancements, but I've also tried with them enabled as well. My drive is set to AHCI.

I know from reading all these posts that it's very possible to install OS-X to the 1330. The majority of the posts I've found deal with resolving post-installation issues, I can't seem to find one that addresses the problems I'm having getting it installed in the first place.

Any help, suggestions, nudges in the right direction would be appreciated.

Stop screwing around with 'distros' and shell out for a retail DVD and then follow the instructions on post 1 of this thread if you want Leopard or post 1 of immo's 'how to create a custom DSDT" thread if you want Snow Leopard. It seems the experience of most is that both of these methods work consistently if you read the instructions carefully and follow them.

I just put SL on my m1530 using SuperHai's bootCD (linked in my signature and immo's DSDT thread) and a retail SL disk and it went simply and without a hitch thanks to the shoulders of the likes of wingrunr21, talisman, chrysor, immo, SuperHai, Master Chief, and Brett Whinnen.

Many of these guys have 1330s so the instructions are there.

How's that for a nudge?

Hi to all.

Im sorry if Im OT but, the question is... can I upgrade to SL my Leopard 10.5.7 relase on XPS?

Sorry again and Im very happy for every link that can explaint this to me.

PS I know I have a bad english. :unsure:

Hi to all.

Im sorry if Im OT but, the question is... can I upgrade to SL my Leopard 10.5.7 relase on XPS?

Sorry again and Im very happy for every link that can explaint this to me.

PS I know I have a bad english. :D

What I did is installed SL on a different partition. This is far less risky because you don't break your working Leopard.

The installer lets you import your old documents and settings from your "old mac". Simply select the Leopard partition and all users, applications, documents, and settings will be copied to the SL partition.

I tried this but unfortunately when I did this, I was getting terrible beach ball of death lockups sometimes quite frequently for up to a minute each. I eventually replaced the faulty SL install with a fresh new SL install and this time did not import my from the Leopard install, and everything worked perfectly.

So my recommendation is fresh install on a different partition, but you can try the method above and see if you have better luck than me.

In my setup I had a Vista partition and a Leopard partition, and I replaced the Vista partition with SL. Once I was finally happy with SL I replaced the old Leopard installation with a fresh Vista install.

Immo