Retail install guide for GA-P35-DS4 with chameleon EFI

tseug

303 posts in this topic

Hi, first off, thanks for the guide! I'm having a problem at the 10.5.5 combo update step and wondered if someone could provide some insight.

I installed from a 10.5.0 retail disc and booted up successfully. So I proceeded to install the 10.5.5 combo update, which succeeded and asked to reboot. After the reboot it got to the gray screen with the apple logo and rebooted again (just like the guide said it would). However, now it won't boot at all. It gets to the gray screen with the apple logo and the spinning loader just freezes.

Anyone have any ideas? I have a macbook pro I can use to mount the disk up if that would help.

Thanks.

OK. I've removed the check completely so the issue should be gone now.

tseug,

Thanks for doing this.

Over the weekend, I restored by 10.5.4 installation that I'd done using your method and attempted to update it to 10.5.5 using the 10.5.5 update. The update resulted in a useable desktop, but I had no audio and all the disk drives were orange colored. I ran your package just now and everything is back to normal -- full audio and the disk drives are now silver colored. Thanks. Your method works really well.

--gyveri

System as in my previous message.

Still no luck getting 10.5.5 to boot so I mounted my disk on my macbook and installed the GA-P35-DS4 extension pack to the disk that way.

Now booting with '-v' shows the following error:

AppleHDA.kext failed to load: unable to locate 'layout-id' property.

Any ideas?

Just another update:

I removed the AppleHDA.kext from the Extensions folder and now I don't get the previous error, but it still freezes. The bad news is that I don't get any errors, so I'm out of ideas to try...

Differences between my setup and the guide are that I'm using a 10.5.0 retail disc and the guide uses 10.5.1, and that my motherboard revision is 2.0. Could either of these be the culprit?

FYI, my setup:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev 2.0) (bios F11)

Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

Ram: 4GB (2x2GB) Geil DDR2 1066

Video: nVidia GeForce 8800GT

What am I talking to the wall here? ;)

In case anybody cares, the answer to my problems was to boot in safe mode (-x). I believe it was trying to load an incompatible nvidia kext.

So, after installing the 10.5.5 combo update I just booted into safe mode and continued with the guide (which worked flawlessly), being sure to add my correct nvidia device (8800gt) in efi-studio.

So thanks tseug for the guide!

My first run thru using this guide was so successful that i decided to try it again but this time on a Gigabyte EP45 DS4P (ep35 ds4's are no longer available) and now i run into some problems.

Install of the retail 10.5.4 dvd completes succesfully. I apply the 10.5.5 combo update go for reboot and then get the 'you need to restart your computer' error message.

I am able to boot into safe mode, apply the Leo ga p35 ds4 V12 pack, efi studio and chameleon, but upon reboot i get the same error message as before. In bios I have ahci enabled and hpet is in 64 bit mode.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

tia - zaphod

thanks for the great guide. I've got leopard 10.5.5 working great, however, when I shutdown everything shuts down (hard drive, graphics card) but the power is still on because the fans are still spinning. restart works fine though. im using the same bios settings as Dewdman42 posted on the first page.

should i install the 'sep 22 Kext for restart Shutdown fix : Kext Attachd below OpenHaltRestart.kext attached below

fixes Restart Shutdown. Now can use Vanilla ACPIplatform.kext . No need of CHUD.pkg etc' from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...hutdown+problem

thanks again.

[*] Boot the CD by pressing F12 at POST again. This time, press enter once, and then enter 80 to boot into your new OS X installation. Fill out the various forms.

[*] Now you need to install the 10.5.5 combo update. It isn't necessary to repeatedly delete the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, so you don't need the terminal for this. Also, editing the install script when you're done isn't needed, so just click restart. Alternatively, Dewdman42 reports that you can just use Software Update to install 10.5.5. However, it didn't work for me so I still recommend using the downloaded combo update.

[*] Again, you need to press F12 at POST and boot into your primary boot drive (80). The PC will probably restart on you once. Just repeat the procedure.

You should now be running OS X 10.5.5.

This is weird - i've got virtually the same spec as you, and I have followed these instructions to the letter, yet after installing the 10.5.5 update and rebooting using the DS4 ISO CD, it no longer boots into OSX.

I've done this method in the past with no issues with the 10.5.4 combo update, yet 10.5.5 I have no luck.

How can I fix this? Do I need to install chamelion before applying the combo update? Maybe slightly different boot CD extensions (different dates on the extensions maybe)?

EDIT: Just noticed in the replies above I'm not the only one with this problem, I'll try safe mode and a few other things, wish me luck! ^_^

EDIT2: I'm going to try getting a fully fuctioning 10.5 setup THEN apply the combo update to 10.5.5.

I think something in the update is breaking something somewhere....

This is weird - i've got virtually the same spec as you, and I have followed these instructions to the letter, yet after installing the 10.5.5 update and rebooting using the DS4 ISO CD, it no longer boots into OSX.

I've done this method in the past with no issues with the 10.5.4 combo update, yet 10.5.5 I have no luck.

How can I fix this? Do I need to install chamelion before applying the combo update? Maybe slightly different boot CD extensions (different dates on the extensions maybe)?

EDIT: Just noticed in the replies above I'm not the only one with this problem, I'll try safe mode and a few other things, wish me luck! :D

EDIT2: I'm going to try getting a fully fuctioning 10.5 setup THEN apply the combo update to 10.5.5.

I think something in the update is breaking something somewhere....

Yea, booting into safe mode after installing the combo update should solve the issue, this NEEDS to be added in the guide :(.

Yea, booting into safe mode after installing the combo update should solve the issue, this NEEDS to be added in the guide :thumbsup_anim:.

Nice, gonna try it again from the top - thanks.

-x to boot into safe mode right?

EDIT:

Just tried it an it works, here's the full line I used:

"-x -v rd=disk1s2"

As I'm using boot 132 from another HD.

Has anybody used this method and gotten a dual-boot environment up?

I'm interested in getting an XP boot going for games and such but there's a lot of methods out there so I'm interested what people using this hardware & setup have gotten working.

Does anybody know where to find the newest ga-ep35-ds4 bios? I Still have the F6a beta bios which is the newest on german and .com gigabyte servers. Or is this the last and best?

BTW: Still have to Limit Ram to 3,5gb with these kexts or transmission crashes.

its very easy when you got two hard drives, just select what drive you want to boot to when the bios comes up. I have my mac as default but I could have vista as default if i wanted. O btw xp blows 2001 wants their os back

Thanks, that sounds the simplest. I guess I'll just fork up the dough for another disk. Are you able to boot your vista install as a VM inside of OS X (like with paralells, fusion, etc.)?

Thanks, that sounds the simplest. I guess I'll just fork up the dough for another disk. Are you able to boot your vista install as a VM inside of OS X (like with paralells, fusion, etc.)?

Its possible to use the existing vista installation with the latest VMWare. I have Vista 64Bit installed and this works with latest VMWare. Parallels doesn't work for this.

What am I talking to the wall here? :)

In case anybody cares, the answer to my problems was to boot in safe mode (-x). I believe it was trying to load an incompatible nvidia kext.

So, after installing the 10.5.5 combo update I just booted into safe mode and continued with the guide (which worked flawlessly), being sure to add my correct nvidia device (8800gt) in efi-studio.

So thanks tseug for the guide!

I just tried to do a reinstallation from scratch, and I got the same problem. I must have missed something when I tested the 10.5.5 update the first time around. Admittedly, I was busy doing all sorts of other stuff. :)

Anyway, your suggestion works and I've updated the guide. Thanks for the effort.

I have used the original DS4 install method (LS8 thread) but I have run into major problems ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=937682 ) so I thought I would run a clean install using this method.

I have downloaded all the bits and burnt the iso but when I try to boot to the boot disk I get invalid linux checksum, press any key to retry error. Any one know whats happening?

I have used the original DS4 install method (LS8 thread) but I have run into major problems ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=937682 ) so I thought I would run a clean install using this method.

I have downloaded all the bits and burnt the iso but when I try to boot to the boot disk I get invalid linux checksum, press any key to retry error. Any one know whats happening?

You seem to have stability issues. Have you tried burning the CD and installing without overclocking?

Hi,

I used this guide with the LS8 option.

Retail dvd

combo update

ls8

efi

cameleon

I got a kernel panic saying;

IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0

Did this twice so no go.

tried also boot with -f

no luck

strange....... :)

EDIT: Seems that AppleACPIPlatform is not listed in the Extentions folder.

SOLVED: Better clean my glasses as for the post-patch scripty ;)

Has anyone had any luck setting up a RAID 0 doing this guide. I am thinking about buying another 10,000 rpm drive and running RAID 0 backed up to a time machine. We went over the advantages in my advanced database class and it seems really easy with the disk utility. Anyone done this and what kind of performance increases do you notice?

THanks in advance