Retail install guide for GA-P35-DS4 with chameleon EFI

tseug

303 posts in this topic

Fixing 'about this mac' is not a problem, works with OSX86Tools or other methods.

However, even with the correct 'about this mac' info , none of these methods fixes the install check/ Power PC identification issue.

BTW, regardless of what you think about MS, silverlight is the only way to Instant (online) Watch Netflix movies on a Mac.

sbg, there seems to be an answer to your silverlight problem. I found the below workaround on this forum. Let us know how it turns out.

SILVERLIGHT WORKAROUND

The installer does the following to check the CPU architecture.

system_profiler SPHardwareDataType -xml | grep "Intel"

If you open a shell and run system_profiler SPHardwareDataType – what does it report for “Processor Name”?

If you know for a fact that you are on Intel and want to complete the install, it is fairly easy to disable the checks done by the installer (the steps are somewhat dependent on which browser you are using so I’ll just paste these in to get started but let me know if you need more info).

1. Download the Silverlight 2 for Mac OS X.

2. Let the .dmg file execute.

3. Go to the folder where you downloaded the Silverlight plugin.

4. Right click on "Silverlight2.0.pkg" and choose the "Show Package Contents" menu item.

5. Double click on the "Contents" folder.

6. Double click on the "Resources" folder.

7. Drag and drop the file "InstallationCheck" to the trash.

8. Close out the folder you're working in.

9. Finally double click on the "Silverlight2.0.pkg" package, and it should install fine now.

sbg, there seems to be an answer to your silverlight problem. I found the below workaround on this forum. Let us know how it turns out.

SILVERLIGHT WORKAROUND

The installer does the following to check the CPU architecture.

system_profiler SPHardwareDataType -xml | grep "Intel"

If you open a shell and run system_profiler SPHardwareDataType – what does it report for “Processor Name”?

If you know for a fact that you are on Intel and want to complete the install, it is fairly easy to disable the checks done by the installer (the steps are somewhat dependent on which browser you are using so I’ll just paste these in to get started but let me know if you need more info).

1. Download the Silverlight 2 for Mac OS X.

2. Let the .dmg file execute.

3. Go to the folder where you downloaded the Silverlight plugin.

4. Right click on "Silverlight2.0.pkg" and choose the "Show Package Contents" menu item.

5. Double click on the "Contents" folder.

6. Double click on the "Resources" folder.

7. Drag and drop the file "InstallationCheck" to the trash.

8. Close out the folder you're working in.

9. Finally double click on the "Silverlight2.0.pkg" package, and it should install fine now.

Yes, that does work. Thanks.

The strange part is that with the identical system except using an E6750 C2D (2.66 GHz), the installer recognized it as an Intel Mac. Upgrading from E6750 to E8500 broke it.

BTW, system_profiler SP..... does not report "Processor Name".

Here is the output:

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Speed: 3.17 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B01

Serial Number: CK034KMHK5B

It's probably a stupid question. I haven't been in the scene for a while.

In EFIStudio, I'm able to see a list of different Display.

But when I change to Ethernet or AZAL, the drop down list is greyed out

so I can't add Ethernet or AZAL devices. Am I doing something wrong?

I have no sound, otherwise everything is working great so far.

My video card (GeForce 7900GT) isn't available, so I used the 7600GT instead.

Seems to work.

Any help with adding AZAL would be great :(

thanks.

Hi, everyone

I know this is offtopic, but can someone know how can I make custom install dvd like kalyway 10.5.2 ?

Heres the idea, I am running 10.5.5 retail, and I would like to make a custom install dvd for just in case,

then if my hdd goes down for some reason, I don't have to install a kalyway 10.5.2 to install a retail.

So basicly it would be an retail install dvd for my machine.

I search some software, found slipy but it is a dead link on every location.

thx if you read this.

Completed update to 10.5.6. Success!

1) Followed prep guide: http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/pr...pdating-to.html

2) Downloaded & installed 10.5.6 standalone package

3) Reinstalled GA-P35-DS4 install package

4) Rebooted and repaired permissions

Only problem, prep guide says to install 10.5.5 version of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext prior to 10.5.6 installation but this causes freeze.

Currently running without AppleIntelCPUPower... (got removed by GA-P35... package installation).

No problems.

No problems.

Thanks for posting, sbg - I was curious about how people using this setup and with a similar config to mine were doing, particularly given the number of issues that have been encountered.

I'm a little cofused ... There are waaaaaaaaaaaay too many tools for patching and updating ... I don't know which to use, Extension pack or ls8's, pcwiz's Universal OSx86 Installer, then there is DSDT Patcher GUI but wait ... didn't Universal OSx86 Installer do the DSDT patching ? and how about Universal OSx86 Installer patching standard kexts for specific board ??

I'm a little cofused ...

Well, first, this topic is focused on the Gigabyte P35-DS4 (and related) mobos, so it might not make sense for you (based on your sig). But, I'm currently running 10.5.5 and I plan to update to 10.5.6 essentially by following sbg's steps (2 posts above). Where he says "3) Reinstalled GA-P35-DS4 install package," go to the first page of this topic and follow tseug's steps.

But, again, this is for the gigabyte boards.

1) Followed prep guide: http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/pr...pdating-to.html

2) Downloaded & installed 10.5.6 standalone package

3) Reinstalled GA-P35-DS4 install package

4) Rebooted and repaired permissions

Only problem, prep guide says to install 10.5.5 version of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext prior to 10.5.6 installation but this causes freeze.

Currently running without AppleIntelCPUPower... (got removed by GA-P35... package installation).

No problems.

Found later that S3 sleep is not working after the update - wakeup from sleep causes reboot.

Applied this fix: (jan bird) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry1004422

Works fine now :)

I tried the steps provided by sbg and my unit freezes during intstall of 10.5.6, first time it made it to 50% 2nd time only made it to 11%. I have done all the steps that the link says. I am running a p35-ds4. Any idea on things it try?

Did you try to install from Software Update? Seems like the recommendation is to download and install from the Combo Update http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_...-6_Combo_Update.

Sorry, not experienced enough to add anything else... Seems like we've got similar setups, so I'm curious in the progress you make.

ADDED: According to ~pcwiz (who created a DSDT patcher tool) and others in the main 10.5.6 thread, the DSDT patch is not required (http://######.com/blog/?p=508)!

ALSO: Seems like there's some confusion about whether to install 10.5.5 version of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement prior to 10.5.6 (see http://netkas.org/?cat=5 and IMPORTANT UPDATE under here http://insanelymac.blogspot.com/2008/12/pr...dating-to.html)

If we skip that step, is the Chameleon update to PC EFI v9 required?

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say thank you! the guide worked perfectly. I had been out of the scene for a bit, after some initial install trouble previously I was kind of weary to give it a go again but glad I did.

The only minor thing that has happened to me so far is on boot into osx I get a USB overcurrent notice, like usb is using too much power somehwere.

Specs:

GA-P35-DS4

Intel 2.4 Q6600

4gb RAM

Nvidia 8800GT 256mb

I have this problem:

Sleep, restart, shutdown works, but my Hackontosh won't go to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity (or whatever time I set in System Preferences). Does anyone has similar problem, and now how to fix it. Thanks

P35-DS4, BIOS F14a, 10.5.5

I have this problem:

Sleep, restart, shutdown works, but my Hackontosh won't go to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity (or whatever time I set in System Preferences). Does anyone has similar problem, and now how to fix it. Thanks

P35-DS4, BIOS F14a, 10.5.5

I have the same problem (GA-P35-DS3P v. 2.0) but don't know of a fix.

• 3 weeks later...

can anyone give specific instructions on how to go from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6? I have tried what sbg done and my system still freezes on install. I was never really worried about it but the new ilife 09 requires that you have it. Is there anyway to remove that check from ilife or a way to get to 10.5.6???

Thanks in advance

I also tried to update to 10.5.6 using the instructions above and it did not work. I am sure the problem is related to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, but I am unclear on the work around there. I have been running 10.5.5 without AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement present, seems to have been working fine to this point.

I did try to install the vanilla version of that kext before running the updater, but it froze and I ended up having to restore my system from a backup.

Anyone else have success updating to 10.5.6 and can you please comment more specifically on how to work around this kext issue?

I did find an easy work around to get the ilife 09 installed. All you have to do is go into your mac hd/system/library/coreservices. There you find systemversion.plist and edit it with text edit. Change the version showing to 10.5.6 and it works. Now under the about this mac is says 10.5.6 and it doesnt ask you to update in the software update anymore either. Im not sure what would happen to ilife if you change it back after install but I think im just going to keep mine thinking its 10.5.6

cheers

I don't actually care about iLife, I am just trying to stay current. There is some possibility that you may end up having software glitches by fooling iLife into running that way. If its expecting 10.5.6 it may be for other reasons besides just a text label.

I don't actually care about iLife, I am just trying to stay current. There is some possibility that you may end up having software glitches by fooling iLife into running that way. If its expecting 10.5.6 it may be for other reasons besides just a text label.

yes I do realize that but from what I have seen so far it has been flawless. I have not tried changing it back to see what happens though. i may try that in a little bit. I would love to be able to update to the newest version as well but everything that I have tried I end up having to restore my time machine backup. I hope everyone is trying as hard as me to figure it out and update the guide.

Worked a treat - thanks ;)

Just need to find a working EFI string for my X1900XT-X 512mb (unless someone can come up with a better cost effective alternative) and update to 10.5.6 now, and i'm all set.

EP45-DS3 (rev 2.1)

X1900-XT-X

8GB PC6400

E7200 Core 2 Duo @ 4.2GHZ

Dell 2407WPF (A01)