Retail install guide for GA-P35-DS4 with chameleon EFI

tseug

303 posts in this topic

I have a GA-EP35-DS3L and everything went fine except for the audio. The system profiler says "No Built In Audio". When I check "Sound" in system preference it says that there are "No Output Devices Found". I have the bios set to Azla - Automatic. The sounds card does work with other installs. Clearly I must be doing something wrong. I have even tried installers with no luck. It is as if my soundcard doesn't exist.

i have run the extension pack installer not ls8's postscript. (now that ive run one i cant run the other) Afterwhich i then added display and ethernet strings using EFI studio as the guide indicates.

When i tried to add AZAL it wouldnt let me saying my system had none.

what is AZAL anyway?

What is it in the postcript patch that deals with these shutdown issues?

AZAL is sound. You need to have Integrated Peripherals -> Azalia Codec set to Auto in BIOS.

I have a GA-EP35-DS3L and everything went fine except for the audio. The system profiler says "No Built In Audio". When I check "Sound" in system preference it says that there are "No Output Devices Found". I have the bios set to Azla - Automatic. The sounds card does work with other installs. Clearly I must be doing something wrong. I have even tried installers with no luck. It is as if my soundcard doesn't exist.

This guide is for GA-P35-DS4 with built-in audio. Results may vary with other configurations.

whats your system specs?

GA-P35-DS4, Q6600 Quad Core 2.4@3.2 GHz, Nividia 8800GT 512mb, Sata disk, Sata dvd. 2 GB RAM.

Wow. Fantastic guide! Took me two attempts to get it running (stuffed up the post patch script first go, even though I've done it plenty of times before), but it's running solid as a rock right now!

If there's one change that I would suggest, it's that you should point out that the installer pack is essentially a simplified version of LS8's extentions script. I had no idea what the installer was, what it contained or where it came from, so I opted for the script instead. But the installer is so much simpler and easier! You should make sure you promote it more!!!!

OK. Guide updated.

Dewdman42, I notice that you have your Q6600 overclocked to 3.2ghz. Are you using the stock intel fan for cooling or something else? Would you mind explaining your process for overclocking or point me in the right direction? I try using the search but I can never get any results.

Thanks

I'm having an issue with my IDE DVD-R drive..

When I set it to AHCI in both places it boots fine, but the boot ISO won't load. It fails the checksum.

When I set AHCI only in the top option, not the one further down the page, it DOES work.. but the Install DVD gives me a disabled cursor after spinning for a while.

I'm installing iAtkos right now and it seems to be loading OK. I guess I might have to go from a disk image since my IDE drive seems to be acting funny with the setup

Well I'm back and I'm on a vanilla leopard install.

I was having issues with my IDE DVD drive installing via the Boot CD. It wouldn't work with AHCI enabled.

So here are my steps...

Installed iAtkos 4

Create a new partition on the same HD

Install Leopard via disk image to new partition while still in iAtkos (just cd'd to the mpkg)

Install 10.5.4 combo update

Install Chameleon

Use the extension pack installer

Reboot

Install EFI strings

Everything works! I'm on a GA EP35 DS3R and E8400. Even my IDE DVD drive is working now (I checked that option in the package supplied by this guide)

Thanks SO much! I will do some benchmarking and software testing the next week or two and check back in...

Hi Guys,

Recently I have been having problems with shutdown. The os shuts down but the computer stays on. I end up having to hold the power button down to shut it off. When first installing, using this guide, I never had this problem. It just creeped up and now is happining more often. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, the usb ports seem to have power going to them when the computer is completely shut down. The reason I say this is because the flash drive LED stays on. Even after taking it out and then plugging it back in.

EDIT

Using poweroff_fix.zip fixes the power off problem. What it actually does is turn off three of the four processors right before shutdown.

Hi to all of you.

I have just installed OS X 10.5.4 following your great instructions, and everything worked O.K.

Well, everything but audio. My Realtek ALC889A is not recognized, and sound does not work.

My system is:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

RAM: 2GB DDR2 667

Video: nVidia 8600GT 512MB

Audio: Onboard Realtek ALC889A chipset (NOT WORKING)

Hard drive: 2 Maxtor SATA 200 GB

Mac OS Installation: OS X 10.5.2 Retail upgraded to 10.5.4

Sorry if this a very newbie question, but could you please help me to make the ALC889A of my motherboard work?

Anyway thank you for your guide and your help.

100pies@teleline.es

Hi to all of you.

I have just installed OS X 10.5.4 following your great instructions, and everything worked O.K.

Well, everything but audio. My Realtek ALC889A is not recognized, and sound does not work.

My system is:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

RAM: 2GB DDR2 667

Video: nVidia 8600GT 512MB

Audio: Onboard Realtek ALC889A chipset (NOT WORKING)

Hard drive: 2 Maxtor SATA 200 GB

Mac OS Installation: OS X 10.5.2 Retail upgraded to 10.5.4

Sorry if this a very newbie question, but could you please help me to make the ALC889A of my motherboard work?

Anyway thank you for your guide and your help.

Hi,

I've noticed that you have different Motherboard than the one in the instructions. Does that still work? The reason I'm asking is because i have tha same as yours.

100pies@teleline.es

I wish I could help you. the 889 is working great on my DS4. I'm not sure what is going on there, sorry. You might try to use one of the injection kext's instead of EFI strings to get it to work.

You sure you are using the direct audio out and not headphone or digital?

Dewdman42,

Thank you for your answer...

System Preferences -- Sound -- Output (NO OUTPUT DEVICES FOUND)

Input (NO INPUT DEVICES FOUND)

I will try injection.

Again thank you

100pies

===============================

UPDATE.

Now everything is working O.K. It was my error, my fault... When I was installing, in EFIStudio, I only added Display, not AZAL. Now I have remade the plist file with Display, Ethernet (although it was working before) and AZAL, and now everything is working O.K.

I have got a complete and marvelous PseudoMac 10.5.4 full updated. Thank you for your answers and for your guide.

100pies

I have a GA-EP35-DS3L. I know that this is not the same motherboard that the guide was written for, but the guide worked for me all the same. The only issue that I had with the onboard hardware was with my audio not working. I used AppleHDAPatcherv1.20 and installed the ALC888-a.txt and it was resolved. Perhaps there is a better way to do this with EFI, but I am happy with what I have now. Thanks again tseug.

I have a new suggestion for this guide. I recently switched to a different AppleSMBIOS.kext than what is included with ls8's pack. I will message him about this also. But this new version is working a bit better on my GA-P35-DS4. The one currently included with ls8 was not allowing one of my software programs to work, due to copy protection and some kind of problem with the hardware serial number.

There are a number of different serial number fixes floating around. There is one from Netkas which supposedly fixes it, but hard coded the serial number so that everyone has the same serial number. There is another one, found here:

http://my.macdotnub.info/content/view/22/26/

This one uses netkas fix, but allows you to specify the serial number in com.apple.Boot.plist. It also allows you to specify a few other things in there, like memory speed and memory type. Check it out. I installed that, everythign working perfectly on the DS4 and now that software with the copy protection allowed me to authenticate and is working. To be honest, previously I was afraid to authorize my machine for itunes store because of the hard coded serial number that everyone seems to be using. But now I have my own serial number, that I coded in such a way that its doubtful anyone else is using it. So I authorized with itunes also.

Anyway, just thought I would pass that along.

Hello,

I finally found a solution to my "wake from sleep" issue.

In Bios I changed "init display first" from PCI to PEG. Now OSX just wakes from sleep normally.

Dual Booting between MBR and GUID still wont work, but I just set the OSX HD default in Bios and choose to start the VISTA HD through F12.

Thats like pushing "Alt" on Bootcamp.:(

I have a new suggestion for this guide. I recently switched to a different AppleSMBIOS.kext than what is included with ls8's pack. I will message him about this also. But this new version is working a bit better on my GA-P35-DS4. The one currently included with ls8 was not allowing one of my software programs to work, due to copy protection and some kind of problem with the hardware serial number.

There are a number of different serial number fixes floating around. There is one from Netkas which supposedly fixes it, but hard coded the serial number so that everyone has the same serial number. There is another one, found here:

http://my.macdotnub.info/content/view/22/26/

This one uses netkas fix, but allows you to specify the serial number in com.apple.Boot.plist. It also allows you to specify a few other things in there, like memory speed and memory type. Check it out. I installed that, everythign working perfectly on the DS4 and now that software with the copy protection allowed me to authenticate and is working. To be honest, previously I was afraid to authorize my machine for itunes store because of the hard coded serial number that everyone seems to be using. But now I have my own serial number, that I coded in such a way that its doubtful anyone else is using it. So I authorized with itunes also.

Anyway, just thought I would pass that along.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'd much rather use the same kexts as Ls8. That way, there is a larger userbase with the same setup instead of a smaller one, and a much smaller one. There are IMHO already too many packs out there that differs ever so slightly from one another, all without any form of documentation. For me to add to the confusion, there would have to be a really good reason. Also, in order to achieve the same quality as Ls8's pack I would have to do a decent amount of testing, and that sounds too much like work for comfort. :)

That being said, I do appreciate the input ;)

I am having issues with my LAN. I can use the internet fine but I am not able to access my AirportExpress through iTunes or Airport utility. Also, I cannot see other computers on my shared netowork but they can see me. I know that the there is nothing wrong with my AirportExpress because my MacBook can recognize and use it. A couple of times my OSx86 would actually recognize the AirportExpress and I was able to stream audio through it but that would only last for about 10-15 min. Then it would just disappear. It would also comeback on when I switched out my patch cable, but again disappear after about 10-15min. Now I can't get it to work at all. Has anyone had this problem?

I just got a reply from Donar saying that he got the AirportExpress working when installing the time machine fix or some special R1000 kext. He is going to get back to me with confirmation after reinstall. Does that sound right to anyone?

Hello,

I have a GA-EP35-DS4 and have used this guide and install pack. This worked out great! I installed IONetworkingFamily.kext to get Time Machine to work, i was getting the "Cant find storage device" error. Audio is working through EFI, but, when I go to system info, Audio (built in) displays "none"....

Would this fix my audio? 25 June :Latest Audio Apple HDA kext Show up in profile with HDAenabler.kext UPDATE 5 July.

and, if I apply the HDAenabler.kext, do I have to remove the EFI string for audio?

I will say that the EFI strings for my nvidia card instead of using NVinject looks much better!

Andy

I am having issues with my LAN. I can use the internet fine but I am not able to access my AirportExpress through iTunes or Airport utility. Also, I cannot see other computers on my shared netowork but they can see me.

I just got a reply from Donar saying that he got the AirportExpress working when installing the time machine fix or some special R1000 kext. He is going to get back to me with confirmation after reinstall. Does that sound right to anyone?

Thanks to Donar's suggestions and sheeplover's post I can use LAN truly and completely. :wacko: What I ended up doing was installing the RealtekR1000.kext, that comes with ls8's v12 Pack. It is running simultaneously with the efi-string generated by EFIStudio. Not sure if it will work without the efi-string. I will find out next install. I can see the AirportExpress on the airport utility, airtunes shows in itunes and network sharing works . :P I am now truly 100%

Thanks to Donar's suggestions and sheeplover's post I can use LAN truly and completely. :wacko: What I ended up doing was installing the RealtekR1000.kext, that comes with ls8's v12 Pack. It is running simultaneously with the efi-string generated by EFIStudio. Not sure if it will work without the efi-string. I will find out next install. I can see the AirportExpress on the airport utility, airtunes shows in itunes and network sharing works . :P I am now truly 100%

yea man, I'm using realtek and EFI, definitely works. If it works, don't change it. Bonjour working perfectly in this mode too.

Thanks to Donar's suggestions and sheeplover's post I can use LAN truly and completely. :) What I ended up doing was installing the RealtekR1000.kext, that comes with ls8's v12 Pack. It is running simultaneously with the efi-string generated by EFIStudio. Not sure if it will work without the efi-string. I will find out next install. I can see the AirportExpress on the airport utility, airtunes shows in itunes and network sharing works . :P I am now truly 100%

How does sleep work? Do you lose your DHCP lease? If not, I'll add it (at least as an option) in the installer.

How does sleep work? Do you lose your DHCP lease? If not, I'll add it (at least as an option) in the installer.

I tried it with sleep and a few of things happened. First the computer would not wake from mouse or keyboard input but would wake by pressing the power button. Second DHCP lease was lost but restored by turning configure to off, apply, then back on and apply. You could probably also renew DHCP lease to get it working. Lastly it would not go back to sleep once DHCP was fixed.

This DHCP issue doesn't bother me because I do not use sleep. I would much rather have airtunes, network sharing and bonjour working.

Hi,

First of all, I want to say thanks to tseug for posting this guide. I followed it to the letter and works really well. :) Uses all 8gb of RAM too. :D

Just a thought, it might be worth adding BIOS screenshots in the 1st post so we know what the best settings are?

There are just a few little niggles I'd like to fix, and since we are using a similar setup, maybe someone has already done this?

I'm using some 5.1 speakers which are connected to the onboard sound, but only my front two speakers work, and the sub isn't doing anything. ( I miss my bass! ;) )

Also, nothing shows under audio in the system profiler thing, but it seems I'm not the only one who has this. I was wondering if there is a fix to get my sub working? If there is no fix, that's no biggie, as I'm building a crossover anyway, once I get the PCB's. :wacko:

Also, my CPU fan is controlled by the BIOS and it's going way to fast. In Windows XP I use speedfan to reduce the speed. Is there any way to do this in OSX?