Retail install guide for GA-P35-DS4 with chameleon EFI

tseug

303 posts in this topic

make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI mode completely. You probably did already, but check.

I wish I had an answer for you. It worked totally perfectly for me and has been running solid for a week now.

What was the last thing you did before you started getting the kernal panic?

make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI mode completely. You probably did already, but check.

I wish I had an answer for you. It worked totally perfectly for me and has been running solid for a week now.

What was the last thing you did before you started getting the kernal panic?

Yeah, everything is set to AHCI.

The last thing I did was install EFIStudio Display/Ethernet/and AZAL, no reboot, then Chameleon, then reboot.

Hmmm, I'll try reinstalling. zurie posted that he ran into the same type of problem but once he gave it a second try it worked perfect. Hopefully that works.

I notice that you are using BIOS F13e. Would that make any difference? Would you mind posting a link to where it can be downloaded?

no, F13b should work fine.

After installing chameleon your booting without the boot-132 CD I presume.

Very strange. Yea, I would try again from the top. I can't think what would be causing it, set your BIOS exactly as I have mine set (see earlier in the thread). I since changed my Sleep mode to S3 which works fine with F13e, but not earlier bios.

but if you were able to boot up a few times in order to upgrade to 10.5.4 and then to install EFI strings...then I doubt the problem is BIOS. But perhaps there was something funny about the way you did the EFI strings.

I suppose you could have a problem with your video card, that is the only thing different from what I have.... Well I am v2.0 of the mobo too, but I doubt that's an issue unless the network or sound hardware has changed, but I doubt it.

first try I got 10.5 installed, upgraded to 10.5.4 and when I was installing my EFI / chameleon / etc something happened on that reboot and I got a kernal panic.

second try I redid it all and was able to get it perfectly. dunno why #1 had issues.

also downloaded all updates from software update after installing 10.5

(qucktime, itunes, combo update 10.5.4, java, airport, remote desktop, etc, etc)

and didn't seem to have any issues. first time I just downloaded the combo update - knock on wood.

edit: installed EFI strings for my audio / lan / graphics card using EFI-studio (generated my own EFI string for my 7200GS graphics card so I have dual display with QC/QE working on both screens)

Do you remember what your kernal panic said? I am having the same problem.

Do you remember what your kernal panic said? I am having the same problem.

OK, this is a stupid question, but I have to ask: In EFIStudio, you only clicked "write to com.apple.Boot.plist" once, right?

OK, this is a stupid question, but I have to ask: In EFIStudio, you only clicked "write to com.apple.Boot.plist" once, right?

I'm sorry, but didn't you write this install guide?

I'm new to this but I am under the assumption that you get all three on the list to add before you click "write to com.apple.Boot.plist"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.1 (F13) BIOS setup.

Advanced BIOS Features

-----------------------------------

HDD S.M.A.R.T Capability - Disabled

Limit CPUID Max. to 3 - Disabled

No-Execute Memory Protect - Enabled

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - Disabled

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) - Enabled

CPU EIST FUnction - Disabled

Virtualization Technology - Enabled

Integrated Peripherals

-------------------------------

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode - AHCI

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode - Enabled

USB Controller - Enabled

USB 2.0 Controller - Enabled

USB Keyboard Support - Enabled

USB Mouse Support - Enabled

Legacy USB storage detect - Disabled

Azalia Codec - Auto

Onboard H/W 1394 - Enabled

Onboard H/W LAN - Enabled

Onboard LAN Boot ROM - Disabled

Onbaoard SATA/IDE Device - Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode - AHCI

Onboard Serial Port - Disabled

Onboard Parallel - Disabled

Power Management Setup

-------------------------------------

ACPI Suspend Type - S3(STR)

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN - Instant-Off

PME Event Wake Up - Enabled

HPET Support - Enabled

HPET Mode - 64-bit mode

UPDATE: I still had the same problem of having a kernal panic after doing a clean install with the latest F13 bios. However, I did get the Video Card to work by using OSx86 Tool Utility after reboot from using EFIStudio. I simply clicked on "Enable/Disable Quartz GL" in OSx86 Tool Utility and now I can get all of the resolutions.

Now I just need to solve my Ethernet and Reboot problem. The Ethernet takes for ever to get a proper assigned IP address from my router. Once it does I can see others on my network but cannot access any sites. It just sits there loading. I pinged google and then used there IP in the browser. It slowly loads to google's site but doesn't really work after that. So I know something is happening.

I'm sorry, but didn't you write this install guide?

I'm new to this but I am under the assumption that you get all three on the list to add before you click "write to com.apple.Boot.plist"

I did write the guide, and your assumption was correct, but I realized it could be misunderstood. I was trying to figure out whether it didn't work because you did something wrong, or it didn't work because of some hardware issue. Sheesh :|

UPDATE: I still had the same problem of having a kernal panic after doing a clean install with the latest F13 bios. However, I did get the Video Card to work by using OSx86 Tool Utility after reboot from using EFIStudio. I simply clicked on "Enable/Disable Quartz GL" in OSx86 Tool Utility and now I can get all of the resolutions.

How do you boot into OS X if you get a kernel panic? What do you mean with "...after reboot from using EFIStudio?" If you reinstall and reboot between installing the boot loader and EFIStudio we will know which one is the issue.

Hello,

Thanks for your effort in writing such a guide.

I have a few questions though.

1. Will it also work on a EP35-DS4 bios F3?

2. Will I be able to simply keep my VISTA64 installation on the other Hard-drive (Sata) ?

3. Will I need to use mbr or guid?

Thanks in advance.

I get kernel panic too but then I noticed that the script I ran was with differently named partition - Retail, as argument. My HDD partition was named Leopard so I ran it again with Leopard.

./post-patch.sh Leopard and now it is ok.

Check your partition name before running script

I have another kind of problem with my graphic adapter gigabyte 8600GT 256RAM - I cannot run at highest refresh rate 75HZ but only at 60HZ.

I have the same problem with kalyway 10.5.2 and nvinject, and maybe my monitor Samsung 940BW isn't recognized well?

With third party software I add 75HZ resolution and add a 1368x768 resolution for my LCD TV which was not recognized too

Any suggestion?

Godovic

I did write the guide, and your assumption was correct, but I realized it could be misunderstood. I was trying to figure out whether it didn't work because you did something wrong, or it didn't work because of some hardware issue. Sheesh :unsure:

How do you boot into OS X if you get a kernel panic? What do you mean with "...after reboot from using EFIStudio?" If you reinstall and reboot between installing the boot loader and EFIStudio we will know which one is the issue.

Sorry tseug, I thought you where asking me how to do it.

Well after the kernal panic, or at least that is what I thought it was (check posted screenshot on past post), I used the boot iso to get back into Leopard without any problems. The Kernal panic happens after your final step of installing Chameleon. Once booting back into Leopard using boot iso I then did some messing around and got the video to work using OSx86 Tools.

It still will not boot without cd and my ethernet is messed up.

Sorry tseug, I thought you where asking me how to do it.

Well after the kernal panic, or at least that is what I thought it was (check posted screenshot on past post), I used the boot iso to get back into Leopard without any problems. The Kernal panic happens after your final step of installing Chameleon. Once booting back into Leopard using boot iso I then did some messing around and got the video to work using OSx86 Tools.

It still will not boot without cd and my ethernet is messed up.

OK. Does sound work? If it doesn't that would point to a problem with either the EFI-strings or the kext patching (or both).

Hello,

Thanks for your effort in writing such a guide.

I have a few questions though.

1. Will it also work on a EP35-DS4 bios F3?

If it works with LS8's original guide, it will probably work with this guide too. Other than that I have no idea. The only way to find out is to try it.

2. Will I be able to simply keep my VISTA64 installation on the other Hard-drive (Sata) ?

Yes.

3. Will I need to use mbr or guid?

The retail DVD will only install on a GUID partition. It's an easy patch, though. Have a look here for instructions. You can of course skip the merging. I haven't tried it but I would expect no problems with MBR.

Yea, That's why I wish someone would upgrade the script a but to check the partition name argument to make sure its there and I guess it should verify its accurate. Otherwise, the instructions might want to include a bit more info there. he did mention earlier in the doc that he was naming his Partition "Retail", so it seems kind of obvious, but maybe its not. Actually the first time I ran through this I didn't even see that there was an argument there and I ran with none, which produced a bunch of errors on the terminal screen when I ran post-patch.sh. So that caused me to stop and pay more attention until I figured things out, which i did.

What would be even better actually would be if someone just wrote an honest to god installer instead of using a bash script. Maybe I will try to throw one together, but I have to learn how.

but I do suspect that the main problem here is that you did not get the kext's from post-patch.sh installed correctly. Once you have the system setup, you should be able to flip back and forth between booting from the HD or booting from the boot-132 ISO and then choosing HD. They both use chameleon, so its the same difference. You can try to install them manually now.

Look in your / dir. You should see a folder called "vanilla". If things went well, there are some backups in there that were copied out of your extensions folder. Except if you ran post-patch.sh more than once, then whatever is in there is junk now, so doesn't matter. But if there is nothing there, then it probably means you used the wrong partition name when you ran the script, in which case you can run it again with the correct partition name and pay attention to the results you see on the terminal screen.

If you do see junk in there, you can run the script again, but ignore whatever new junk ends up in the vanilla folder, its not a valid backup at this point.

Just check the terminal screen when you run the script and make sure you see successful result messages and not a long page full of errors.

I get kernel panic too but then I noticed that the script I ran was with differently named partition - Retail, as argument. My HDD partition was named Leopard so I ran it again with Leopard.

./post-patch.sh Leopard and now it is ok.

A few people have run into this. I will make the instructions more explicit.

Guide updated.

Yea, That's why I wish someone would upgrade the script a but to check the partition name argument to make sure its there and I guess it should verify its accurate. Otherwise, the instructions might want to include a bit more info there. he did mention earlier in the doc that he was naming his Partition "Retail", so it seems kind of obvious, but maybe its not. Actually the first time I ran through this I didn't even see that there was an argument there and I ran with none, which produced a bunch of errors on the terminal screen when I ran post-patch.sh. So that caused me to stop and pay more attention until I figured things out, which i did.

What would be even better actually would be if someone just wrote an honest to god installer instead of using a bash script. Maybe I will try to throw one together, but I have to learn how.

I did make a few suggestions to Ls8, but he didn't answer. Anyway, I think the bash script is a good thing because it is less "magic" than an installer, but both would probably be preferable.

ok, this is where I am at thus far. Still working off of the crashing chameleon install, but bypassing kernal panic with boot iso, I figured out that my Ethernet does work. My router was about 50 feet away in the next room so I unplugged it and brought it into the same room as the computer. Plugged it in and Whallah! Not sure what the issue was with it being in the next room, on a long cable, but now it works.

tseug - my sound does not work but I am not too worried about that because I am using usb speakers. Now my only problem is geeting the system to boot without a cd. From different guides I was able to get it to boot without a cd by making sure the dsmos.kext was in the extensions folder and then installing Chameleon. I notice that after completing this guide there is no dsmos.kext in the extensions. I thought the post patch would take care of that? So I installed dsmos.kext and it still panics.

tseug - my sound does not work but I am not too worried about that because I am using usb speakers. Now my only problem is geeting the system to boot without a cd. From different guides I was able to get it to boot without a cd by making sure the dsmos.kext was in the extensions folder and then installing Chameleon. I notice that after completing this guide there is no dsmos.kext in the extensions. I thought the post patch would take care of that? So I installed dsmos.kext and it still panics.

That is a clear indication that you didn't install the kext pack correctly. Go back and read the guide (it has been updated to be a bit more specific in the meantime). Try to run it again and pay attention to the output.

I'm playing around with making an installer on the basis of the kext pack. If it works out, I will probably put it up during the weekend. That would mean that the terminal would no longer be required.

Yea i agree, if dsmos.kext was missing, then post-patch.sh didn't run successfully. make sure you execute the script from within the LEO packv12 dir exactly as follows:

./post-patch.sh <VOLUME_NAME>

(replace the <VOLUME_NAME> text with the actual name of the partition where you have OSX installed).

When it runs you should see a couple lines of text that basically say sucessful, sucessful, successful, etc.. If you see a big page full of errors, then you did it wrong. I believe if you do that and reboot everything should work.

tseug,

I think if you have an installer that basically just has all the default stuff from the script checked off with the option to add JMicron, etc..that will work fine.

Since you're doing it, I won't waste time on it for now. One thing you might look into is Platypus, which lets you create an application wrapper around shell scripts very easily. The only thing is, I'm not sure how you can have it request for the Volume name to use before calling the script. The main advantage of a typical Installer based app is that you can prompt for the volumes and then use that to drive the process dummy proof.

Yea i agree, if dsmos.kext was missing, then post-patch.sh didn't run successfully. make sure you execute the script from within the LEO packv12 dir exactly as follows:

./post-patch.sh <VOLUME_NAME>

(replace the <VOLUME_NAME> text with the actual name of the partition where you have OSX installed).

When it runs you should see a couple lines of text that basically say sucessful, sucessful, successful, etc.. If you see a big page full of errors, then you did it wrong. I believe if you do that and reboot everything should work.

I'm at a loss. That is exactly what I am doing. I am dragging the post-patch.sh file into terminal and then adding my VOLUME_NAME after ./post-patch.sh.

I've attached a screen shot of the post-patch in terminal. It looks like it can't even find the kexts. Not sure what is going on.

post-259751-1217026493_thumb.png

do you see the error messages?

It only works if the current directory is the one where the LEO_v12 scripts and kext files are located.

open up terminal, cd to that directory and then type in the command, don't drag and drop the .sh

I'm at a loss. That is exactly what I am doing. I am dragging the post-patch.sh file into terminal and then adding my VOLUME_NAME after ./post-patch.sh.

I've attached a screen shot of the post-patch in terminal. It looks like it can't even find the kexts. Not sure what is going on.

Yeah, that won't work.

As Dewdman says, cd to the correct directory first. In your case, that would be

cd ~/Desktop/LEO_GA_P35_DS4_PACK_v12 <ENTER>
./post-patch.sh osx86HD <ENTER>

Hope that helps...