Retail install guide for GA-P35-DS4 with chameleon EFI

tseug

303 posts in this topic

I installed XP in IDE-Mode on my EP35-DS4 and then changed it to AHCI. I found a guide I am unable to find again on this. The procedure was something like downloading Gigabyte's ICH9 Drivers (the Disc-Version) extracting stuff and using sombody's Registry. Then change BIOS to AHCI and reboot. Sorry, that's all I remember.

Google for "AHCI IDE XP change" or something like this...

Googling found me a number of threads addressing the problem, but I found the most helpful one here. To fix my issue, I had to 1) add an entry to the Windows registry in XP, and 2) copy the iaAHCI.INF driver installation file from Intel's Diskette Configuration Utility to \windows\system32 then point the New Hardware wizard to it. A lot quicker to do than the research! ;)

Googling found me a number of threads addressing the problem, but I found the most helpful one here. To fix my issue, I had to 1) add an entry to the Windows registry in XP, and 2) copy the iaAHCI.INF driver installation file from Intel's Diskette Configuration Utility to \windows\system32 then point the New Hardware wizard to it. A lot quicker to do than the research! :D

So all you had to do was install the AHCI driver? ;)

So all you had to do was install the AHCI driver? ;)
I guess sort of, but in a manual roundabout kind of way - I couldn't just download/execute a file from Gigabyte. As I mentioned, I had updated to the latest driver from the Gigabyte site, but because I was running the RAID, I was updated with the RAID part of the driver, not the AHCI, I think (they're combined in one ICH9R SATA Controller update). The approach I took essentially deconstructed the driver update process into the steps required to get XP into a state where it updated with the AHCI driver and not the RAID driver.

I guess sort of, but in a manual roundabout kind of way - I couldn't just download/execute a file from Gigabyte. As I mentioned, I had updated to the latest driver from the Gigabyte site, but because I was running the RAID, I was updated with the RAID part of the driver, not the AHCI, I think (they're combined in one ICH9R SATA Controller update). The approach I took essentially deconstructed the driver update process into the steps required to get XP into a state where it updated with the AHCI driver and not the RAID driver.

I see. I was just giving you a hard time. I basically had the same problem you did, but because Vista has a built-in AHCI driver I could at least boot with AHCI turned on to run the .exe from Gigabyte's site.

Success! Finally converted from a 2-disk, dual-boot setup to a single-disk OSX / XP dual-boot using Chameleon 2. Plus, updated to 10.5.7 from 10.5.5. Thanks for making it easy, tseug :D

I actually did a fresh install to my MBR XP disk. Only issue I had was getting BOOT-132 to see the retail install DVD - no matter what I tried, it couldn't find it. Fortunately, I've got plenty of disk space, so copied the DVD to an available partition and was able to install from there. (Note: I tweaked the install DVD to write to MBR following this guide). Even post-install, the Chameleon bootloader doesn't seem able to see the DVD - any ideas? The DVD drive is operating fine once the OS is loaded.

Does anyone have the optical audio working under 10.5.7 leopard?

I have a couple klipsch tower speakers hooked up to a 3.5 splitter and I get some feedback at really high volumes.

I would LOVE to get digital optical working, I hadn't hooked a cable up to my receiver but I assume it wont work without some work. Anyone got any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone have the optical audio working under 10.5.7 leopard?

I have a couple klipsch tower speakers hooked up to a 3.5 splitter and I get some feedback at really high volumes.

I would LOVE to get digital optical working, I hadn't hooked a cable up to my receiver but I assume it wont work without some work. Anyone got any ideas?

Optical audio works on my OS X. There was no need for more tweaks or anything.

If you want to control the volume from OS X when using optical audio (by default you can't, I guess you're supposed to adjust volume from your sound system) you should try Soundflower. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing. The sound usually goes distorted and then to just random noise after a while. You can fix it by switching the output off and then back to optical again. If you increase the buffer size it takes longer for the sound to mess up. I haven't taken time but I guess that with maximum buffer it takes about an hour of music until the sound messes up. Maybe they will fix this bug eventually.

I have some questions too:

1. Should Intel speedstepping be working when OS X is installed with this method? How can I make sure it's working? If it's not, is it possible to make it work with this installation?

2. Sleep and waking work fine but auto-sleep doesn't work. The system doesn't go to sleep after 30 min of inactivity (or whatever time is set in the Energy Saver preferences) There were some other people in this thread saying the same thing some months ago. Are there any fixes now?

P35-DS4, BIOS F13, 10.5.7

And thanks for the guide. This is my first Hackintosh and I got it working quite easily.

Hi, tseug - curious about your thoughts on upgrading to the new Chameleon 2RC2. What are the upgrade steps? Anything special due to the new functionality, e.g., EthernetBuiltin?

THANKS

You can use the new boot loader instead of RC1. I've upgraded the guide to reflect this. To upgrade, just install it on top of RC1. None of the features pertaining to graphics or ethernet seems to work, though. If you have a different setup they might work for you.

Something that's really bugging me, though very minor...

After booting into OSX, when I restart my machine and choose to boot into VistaX64 my clock is always moved ahead 6 hours. I can't think of any reason why this would happen, but it's really annoying to have to dial back the clock everytime I boot into Vista after booting into OSX.

The clock is right in my BIOS. The clock is is right in OSX. The clock will stay correct in Vista, UNTIL I boot into OSX at which point it sets itself ahead 6 hours.

Has anyone seen this?

Something that's really bugging me, though very minor...

After booting into OSX, when I restart my machine and choose to boot into VistaX64 my clock is always moved ahead 6 hours. I can't think of any reason why this would happen, but it's really annoying to have to dial back the clock everytime I boot into Vista after booting into OSX.

The clock is right in my BIOS. The clock is is right in OSX. The clock will stay correct in Vista, UNTIL I boot into OSX at which point it sets itself ahead 6 hours.

Has anyone seen this?

Take a look at this.

Finally had time to try the time fix. It worked perfectly. Thanks again.

I find I'm still spending more time in Vista after all the work I put into getting Leopard up and running. The main thing that's holding me back is that I haven't found a good way to share my torrents in OSX. I tried installing uTorrent for OSX and then attempted to load up all my torrent files from my Vista drive. It turned out to be a complete disaster. Plus uTorrent for Mac doesn't provide any sort of way to redirect the download location so it can run a checksum and start seeding the torrents again from my RAID.

I installed VMware and loaded up my Vista hard disk as a VM and that was a disaster too.

Also need a good alternative to Newsleecher for OSX.

Haven't found a good alternative to Steinberg Wavelab either for OSX.

These are the main things that are holding me back from taking the full OSX plunge and why I still spend 85-90% of my time in Vista.

Just a quick update. Upgrading to 10.5.8 will kill sleep. It seems to work otherwise after reapplying the Fixes installer but I haven't tested it extensively. I recommend waiting for a fix.

its killing sleep and shutdown after applying 10.5.8 but everything else works after re-applying the fixes.

The same here, I found back my 1920*1200 resolution :-) but sleep and shut down are not working anymore.

I'm now waiting for new fixes.

Cheers !

Guide upgraded to 10.5.8. Fixes sleep/restart/shutdown.

Are the sleep/restart/shutdown fixes in the GA-P35-DS4 Essentials or GA-P5-DS4 Fixes

If already already updated to 10.5.8, do we just have to re-install the Essentials or Fixes ?

Cheers,

Are the sleep/restart/shutdown fixes in the GA-P35-DS4 Essentials or GA-P5-DS4 Fixes

If already already updated to 10.5.8, do we just have to re-install the Essentials or Fixes ?

Cheers,

The fixes are in Essentials (Note to self: choose less generic names :( ). Note that Chameleon RC2 is required.

Works great ! Thank you for your job and for sharing you knowledge !

Cheers,

TheBigLebow

Hi Tseug,

It seems that I spoke to quickly !

the DSDT.aml file makes my PCI ethernet (Realtek 8139) card not recognised anymore. how to solve that ?

Cheers,

TheBigLebow

Hi,

Thanks for this fantastic guide, however, I am having some problems and wondered if anyone could help?

When I swap the disck from the Boot132 disc to the OSX disc, I follow the instructions (pressing enter twice), then the computer just reboots. Could this be because I have only got OSX 10.5.1 and not 10.5.6?

I have got the Kalyway disc installing fine but it's not ideal using that one.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for this fantastic guide, however, I am having some problems and wondered if anyone could help?

When I swap the disck from the Boot132 disc to the OSX disc, I follow the instructions (pressing enter twice), then the computer just reboots. Could this be because I have only got OSX 10.5.1 and not 10.5.6?

I have got the Kalyway disc installing fine but it's not ideal using that one.

Thanks

Hello,

==> did you check your bios parameters ?

3) In BIOS, set your destination drive as your first boot drive. Also make sure that you're using AHCI and Azalia (Integrated Peripherals -> Azalia Codec set to Auto). For more details and screenshots of the BIOS settings go here.

AHCI is needed to perform a retail install (not with kalyway if I remember well).

==> Is you optical drive SATA (needed for retail install)

==> When you boot with Boot123, is the the ID of your optical drive the default disk ID, ? If not, you have to enter the ID of the optcial drive to boot with it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Hello,

==> did you check your bios parameters ?

3) In BIOS, set your destination drive as your first boot drive. Also make sure that you're using AHCI and Azalia (Integrated Peripherals -> Azalia Codec set to Auto). For more details and screenshots of the BIOS settings go here.

AHCI is needed to perform a retail install (not with kalyway if I remember well).

==> Is you optical drive SATA (needed for retail install)

==> When you boot with Boot123, is the the ID of your optical drive the default disk ID, ? If not, you have to enter the ID of the optcial drive to boot with it.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Ah ok, my DVD Drive is IDE. Is there any way round this?

Thanks