Retail install guide for GA-P35-DS4 with chameleon EFI

tseug

303 posts in this topic

So I seem to have a hit a brick wall. I can get the retail disc installed just fine. Like I said before, my secondary Netgear NIC is working beautifully. Reboot works, mouse works, USB works. However, the second I try to install anything, even Chameleon, it fails to boot into OSX. It will either give me an Apple logo plus X or just the Apple logo with the spinning circle which will go on indefinitely. The Chameleon loader works great when I select my Vistax64 drive though.

I'm not sure what else to do here...I've reinstalled 4-5 times trying different combinations of ideas. Tried installing just Chameleon without GA-p35-ds4 essentials pack. Tried just the essentials pack without Chameleon. Tried just installing my 4870 drivers, it didn't like that...

I'm running F12 bios. I attempted to update to F14c and my machine started acting really weird, same with F13. Is it necessary to be running one of the laster bios revisions?

The only thing I could think of is your array is causing the problems. I am running the same board q6850 same ram, 8800gt, and a raptor 10000 rpm drive. I am running 10.5.7 server and it runs great. Try taking the array out of the equation and just try to get everything on one drive. Then use time machine to back up to another drive and run an array for windows. Just a thought, I have really wanted to get a raid 1 setup going with 2 raptor drives but I dont think the headache would be worth the slight performance gain. Best of luck

Everything went perfect on my first install. However, after a successful reboot I attempted to install the GA-P35-DS4 fixes and it screwed my install. Wouldn't shutdown and got the dreaded X over the Apple logo on boot. What exactly does that pack do? I had an IP address through my secondary PCI Netgear gigabit NIC even. It doesn't appear I need the EFI studio either as I'm not using the onboard NIC and don't have an Nvidia graphics card. Is there some other reason to use this? I'm reinstalling from scratch this time and I'm going to skip the fixes pack/EFI studio and go straight for the 4870 drivers.

The essentials pack include the minimal kexts needed for installation (dsmos.kext for decryption and the IntelCPUPMDisabler kext for disabling a kext that causes problems for hackintoshes). The fixes pack include kexts for network, reboot, audio and drives (so they do not appear as external drives), and a few other tidbits.

As for what went wrong there's really no way of telling without the output from the verbose mode, and maybe not even then. Note that the guide explicitly tells you to use the -v option.

You're probably right about EFIStudio and you probably don't need the RealtekR1000 kext either (network)

You might have better luck using LS8's kext pack instead of the Fixes pack as it is more customizable. In fact, this way you could install the kexts one by one to see which one causes problems. There is no need to reinstall dsmos.kext and AppleIntelCPUPMDisabler and as mentioned you probably could do without the Realtek kext.

Good luck :)

"Try taking the array out of the equation and just try to get everything on one drive"

I see what you're saying, but I'm not attempting to boot off the RAID.

I've got a fresh install that finish overnight. I'm going to use Super Duper to grab an image of this first before I start mucking around with it. Should save me some time if I need to restore!

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll let you know how it goes.

The drivers from 3ware's website worked beautifully for my RAID card. I'm installing things one by one and grabbing a new image with SuperDuper everytime something works. This way I don't have to backtrack so far if I screw something up. Restoring the image created with SuperDuper off of the Leopard retail disc Disk Utility only took about 10 minutes vs. over an hour just to get back to square one with a complete reinstall.

Hopefuly now that I have working drivers for my 3ware card it'll sort out some of my issues when i go to install Chameleon, essentials pack, 10.5.7 update, and video drivers.

Baby steps...

I installed Chameleon and when attempting to boot into Leopard with -v it says "Package 0 didn't get an HPET". Can anyone shed any light on what this might mean?

Looks like I need to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

I installed Chameleon and when attempting to boot into Leopard with -v it says "Package 0 didn't get an HPET". Can anyone shed any light on what this might mean?

Looks like I need to delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

You cannot install chameleon and expect it to boot without installing the essentials pack.

You cannot install chameleon and expect it to boot without installing the essentials pack.

Ah ok. I didn't realize they were that dependent upon each other. I'm restoring my image now, will install Chameleon + Essentials Pack + delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Not sure if this matters, but food for thought. My 250GB Vistax64 drive is on SATA channel 0 and my Leopard drive is on SATA 1. However, Leopard is set with the highest priority in the BIOS. Should I physically swap these cables or does it even matter?

Thanks again for all of your help and being patient with me.

Update: That worked! Kinda torn now whether to try 10.5.7 update or fixes pack next. Guess we'll see what happens.

Update: That worked! Kinda torn now whether to try 10.5.7 update or fixes pack next. Guess we'll see what happens.

When in doubt, follow the guide. You have to do it in a specific order, and installing fixes before 10.5.7 will probably cause all sorts of issues. If you did that before no wonder it didn't work.

Follow the guide to the letter up until installation of Fixes. :angel:

Gotcha! Duh, reading is fundamental. Don't know why I glazed over that section.

Is it normal after installing the 10.5.7 update for the shutdown to hang for a long time? I'm tempted to hit the power button but I don't want to foobar my install. I noticed that after installing the update it dumped AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext back in. I tried to delete it but got an error 60002. Oh well...I'll see what happens.

Update: That broke my video. I'm going to start over and try installing my video driver first before 10.5.7

Gotcha! Duh, reading is fundamental. Don't know why I glazed over that section.

Is it normal after installing the 10.5.7 update for the shutdown to hang for a long time?

If you've been using the -v option if should revert to text mode upon restart. Restart manually when it outputs "MACH Reboot"

I'm tempted to hit the power button but I don't want to foobar my install. I noticed that after installing the update it dumped AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext back in. I tried to delete it but got an error 60002. Oh well...I'll see what happens.

Deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext should not be necessary.

It's becoming increasingly apparent that 10.5.7 hates my video card. 10.5.7 loads without any problems. However, when my desktop tries to come up everything goes blocky and weird. I try moving my mouse and I can see images sort of shifting around behind the blockiness. The problem is, the 4870 driver is for 10.5.6/7 only. So I can't install the driver and kext until I'm on at least 10.5.6. Quite the pickle there...

I'm going to install 10.5.7 and then before rebooting install the 4870 driver and kext. Thats probably just asking for trouble installing them at the same time, but I guess it's worth a shot. If that doesn't work, will this guide still work if I can track down a newer Leopard disc?

Maybe I'll try to update to 10.5.6 and see what happens. If 10.5.6 plays nice with my video card, then that will allow me to at least install the 4870 driver. Then I can go to 10.5.7.

Wow my head is spinning :D

If you guys don't want me to post this in here I can stop with the updates. Just figure it'd be good to have a worklog once I find a solution. This will be nice if I get it working because as far as I can tell nobody has tried this guide with any of the ATI 4800 series gpus.

Also, you're right deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext just caused things to act weird a while back. Last time I didn't delete that and everything went a lot smoother up to the 10.5.7 point.

UPDATE: Installed 10.5.7, didn't reboot right away. Went ahead and installed the 4870 driver pack. Then rebooted. However, it wouldn't let me install the 4870 kext with Kext Helper until post 10.5.7 update reboot. IT WORKED ANYWAYS! It did the MACH reboot twice like you described in the guide. I just installed the 4870 kext and rebooted one more time. All is right in the world.

Here's where I got the 4870 instructions if anyone is interested.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=155477

I'm not going to install EFI studio and I'm kind of on the fence about the GA-P35-DS4 fixes pack. Maybe after I get a fresh image with SuperDuper. Thanks again everyone!

So far working:

Microsoft wireless mouse

Logitech diNovo edge keyboard

Video (ATI 4870)

Ehternet (secondary Netgear card)

Firewire (onboard)

USB (onboard)

3ware RAID card

All 4GB of RAM showing up.

Now to try for the Edirol UA-25 so I can start jamming some tunes again.

UPDATE: Driver's from Roland's website worked beautifully. Edirol UA-25 is working.

Hmm I can't get time machine to work. When I try to use my Backup drive I've been using that's formatted as MacJournaled extended with GUID it complains, "The built-in network interface could not be found."

SuperDuper isn't working now either. Is there something I need to do to get either of these working? I really want to get a fresh image before proceeding any further.

UPDATE: The fixes pack sorted out my issue with Super Duper. I was having some issues with my Logitech diNovo wireless KB and my Edirol UA-25 not loading on boot. I'd have to unplug them and plug back in and they're show back up. I haven't seen the problem since installing the fixes pack though.

You will need to move dsmos.kext and IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions/ to /System/Library/Extensions and then install Chameleon 10.0.12 (available somewhere on insanelymac.com as I recall). This should work but I haven't tested it. Why would you not want to use 2.0?

Thanks Man!! That works fine!

The reason I prefer the old one is that I don't need mulitboot-functionality, because I do this via the Bios-boot-selection-menu. 1.0.11 is just a slim and easy bootloader - 2.0 is really nice, but to get the "vanilla-look" it needs some theme-modding and I also haven't yet figured out how to auto-boot.

One thing I wonder though is if Chameleon has anything to do with the recognition of ICH9 in SystemProfiler. With Chameleon20 it shows up as "Intel ICH9-R AHCI" whereas with reverting to the old one it shows up as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" just as before. Do you know if this is possible?

Ah, and I used KextHelper to reinstall the kexts you mentioned. Was that nessecary or would have plain copying also done the job? Just interested.

Thank you

dondeosx

Hmm, I seem to have hit a roadblock trying to get QE/CI enabled on my 4870. I know this is sort of the wrong thread, but someone tell me if this error can be fixed? I've tried reinstalling essentials and fixes packs and with no luck in fixing this error. When I boot with -f -v I get this error:

Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063

goto handler

Then it just hangs. If I boot normal without -f -v it appears to go right past it. However, I think this is preventing me from getting hardware QE/CI working on my 4870 in a roundabout sort of way.

EDIT: Either that or my Dell monitor sucks and doesn't support QE/CI. Either way, is the AppleHDADriver.cpp sound assertion easily fixed?

EDIT II: After mucking around all night I decided to just put my original OpenGL.framework back in place and throw in the towel for the evening. That fixed it! It makes no sense, but I'm not complaining. QE/CI now working. Still have the AppleHDADriver problem I believe. I'll work on that some other time. I don't think it even matters because I'm using the Edirol UA-25 as my output device. Just annoying to see that error on boot.

Picture2.png

Hmm, I seem to have hit a roadblock trying to get QE/CI enabled on my 4870. I know this is sort of the wrong thread, but someone tell me if this error can be fixed? I've tried reinstalling essentials and fixes packs and with no luck in fixing this error. When I boot with -f -v I get this error:

Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-162.1.37/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1063

goto handler

Then it just hangs.

I have the same error but it has no bearing on sound or anything else.

I finally got my hands on 10a380 snow leopard build and I cant not get it to boot using 132. I swap the discs press a key to boot to cd and then it just stays on a black screen. It does install fine on my unibody macbook. Could anyone give me some directions on how to install it on another hdd from within my main 10.5.7 install. I have a scratch disc I could install it on then boot to that disc with cham2.0?

• 2 weeks later...

A question about the DS4 BIOS settings - but first some background. While upgrading to Chameleon v2 and 10.5.7, I plan to take the opportunity to change from a dual-disk dual-boot (OSX, XP) setup to a single-disk dual-boot setup. This will free up a disk for a RAID array for data. In my current dual-disk setup, I switch between OSX and XP by changing the disk boot order in BIOS. In addition, since I had implemented the onboard ICH9R RAID controller, I had to flip the 2 BIOS SATA mode settings under Integrated Peripherals from RAID to AHCI so that OSX wouldn't get hung up. To run XP, I'd have to flip the SATA mode back to RAID.

I have subsequently deleted the RAID volumes as I plan to implement software RAID instead. My problem is this: I find that if I change the SATA mode settings from RAID to AHCI then XP won't boot. You'll recall this motherboard requires a special diskette driver added as part of the XP install. I don't recall if that driver included RAID and AHCI or RAID only when I applied it. Regardless, I now want it set to AHCI only to run both XP and OSX under AHCI. Do you know how can fix things so that XP will boot with AHCI enabled in BIOS? Alternatively, should I set these BIOS settings to Disabled? It seems like the recommendation for OSx86 for this mobo is to use AHCI.

Thanks -

You need to install the the drivers for XP. I had mine in RAID mode too, but was booting into Vista. After switching it over to AHCI It worked, but I noticed really slow performance. Once I installed the drivers from Gigabyte's website everything was working splendid. Hope that helps...

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure I've got the latest drivers. Plus, I'm not having slow performance in Windows - I can't get into Windows. After the machine boots and posts, I get the Windows logo on the black background and then it starts over again.

I tried disabling the Intel SATA mode in BIOS and was able to load Windows. Next step is to try that and switching disk order to load OSX.

But, I'd like to try running AHCI, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Does anybody know if setting the SATA mode in BIOS to AHCI on the P35-DS4 is a requirement for OSx86? It appears to be and has been shown in BIOS screen captures as such. But why, and is there some way to work around it? I can't get OSX to load without having the Intel and Onboard (Gigabyte) SATA mode set to AHCI. But I can't get XP to load with AHCI enabled! XP loads fine with SATA mode disabled or set to IDE. I'd like to have OSX be able to load like this, with RAID/AHCI disabled. Any ideas?

EDIT: When I try to load OSX with BIOS not set to AHCI, the system hangs at the white screen with gray apple - after a couple minutes of the spinning wheel, I get a circle with a line through it.

Does anybody know if setting the SATA mode in BIOS to AHCI on the P35-DS4 is a requirement for OSx86? But I can't get XP to load with AHCI enabled!

Reinstall XP in AHCI mode.... so easy.... and yes AHCI is a must have for os x

Reinstall XP in AHCI mode.... so easy.... and yes AHCI is a must have for os x
A fresh install of XP? I'm a year and a half into the current install with loads of programs that would take lots of time to reinstall. Ain't there a better way?

A fresh install of XP? I'm a year and a half into the current install with loads of programs that would take lots of time to reinstall. Ain't there a better way?

I installed XP in IDE-Mode on my EP35-DS4 and then changed it to AHCI. I found a guide I am unable to find again on this. The procedure was something like downloading Gigabyte's ICH9 Drivers (the Disc-Version) extracting stuff and using sombody's Registry. Then change BIOS to AHCI and reboot. Sorry, that's all I remember.

Google for "AHCI IDE XP change" or something like this...