Modified boot-132 Bootloader

shardie

810 posts in this topic

Ok!

I know what the problem was...

I copied all the kext files in to the extra contents folder.

But I needed to copy the folder extra (with the kext in there) into the extra contents folder! :P

So it boot now but I always need to boot with -F otherwise it wont boot...

Any idea how to fix that? Why do I need to do -F?

[update]

Installed 10.5.5 through software updater and after the install I'm not able to boot anymore.

Not through the HD and not with the 132 boot iso CD...

I guess a new install AGAIN... :(

LOL

I need help with boot-132. I tried three different bootloaders, the noob iso, the generic and one for my mainboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe. But after I boot up with the bootloader, change discs and want to install Mac OS X 10.5.4, after a few seconds this error message appears:

EBIOS read error: Controller or device error

Block 16432736 Sectors 64

The error appears four times, and after about ten seconds of further loading the PC reboots. I tried this with two different IDE drives. Yesterday I bought a SATA DVD drive and removed all IDE drives, but still the same error ... I tried different IDE configuration settings in the BIOS, switching between Standard IDE and AHCI mode, but it's always the same.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Ok!

I know what the problem was...

I copied all the kext files in to the extra contents folder.

But I needed to copy the folder extra (with the kext in there) into the extra contents folder! :)

Not sure I understand what you did exactly. But if it works, that's great.

This is what I did :

1/ boot with generic.iso, and install with Retail Leopard

2/ install EFI or chameleon on the freshly installed Leopard partition

3/ Create "/Extra" and "/Extra/Extensions" folder on the root of Leopard partition

4/ Put all the kexts I need (those from generic.iso and/or others according what you need for your hardware) in /Extra/Extensions folder.

5/ Put the "BOOT" file from generic.iso in the root folder of Leopard partition, while renaming it "boot" (lowercase)

Steps 3 to 5 made as root for having right privileges (with sudo -s).

You should then be able to boot on your partition, without the boot-132 CD.

So it boot now but I always need to boot with -F otherwise it wont boot...

Any idea how to fix that? Why do I need to do -F?

No idea why you need "-F" if you didn't change any kext on Leopard partition (except those in /Extra folder).

[update]

Installed 10.5.5 through software updater and after the install I'm not able to boot anymore.

Not through the HD and not with the 132 boot iso CD...

It shouldn't break your install if you use boot-132 method. I did it.

I guess a new install AGAIN... :)

LOL

I guess so ...

I did exactly what you wrote down:

""This is what I did :

1/ boot with generic.iso, and install with Retail Leopard

2/ install EFI or chameleon on the freshly installed Leopard partition

3/ Create "/Extra" and "/Extra/Extensions" folder on the root of Leopard partition

4/ Put all the kexts I need (those from generic.iso and/or others according what you need for your hardware) in /Extra/Extensions folder.

5/ Put se "BOOT" fil from generic.iso in the root folder of Leopard partition, while renaming it "boot" (lowercase)

Steps 3 to 5 made as root for having right privileges (with sudo -s).""

It did work now, even without -f booting!

But... after updating to 10.5.5 my system broke down again.

There is no way I can boot it up again. Not with the CD and not with chameleon on HD.

:shock::):(

Booting with -x works though...

[update]

In safe mode (-x) I installed Chameleon again, same method as above.

I can boot again but I need -f again! Without -f no boot....

Stuck at:

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Also I did a Xbench and got a "lousy" 120... instead of 140 with my last setup (check sign).

Only thing changed is the harddisk (because this is a test disk, not the actual "production" harddisk)

It did work now, even without -f booting!

But... after updating to 10.5.5 my system broke down again.

There is no way I can boot it up again. Not with the CD and not with chameleon on HD.

First off after you did the update to 10.5.5 did you remove the AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext file? When you type -v at the boot prompt, what are you seeing? If the system won't boot it's because something is holding it back. Don't boot with the grey screen with the apple logo, it tells you nothing. When you boot with -v and you see the "No HPET" error you need to remove the AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext file. Simple as that.

If you want to make things easier on your self, just download the update from apple. Run some code in terminal to remove the AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext file and then do the update. Reboot 2 times and you're done.

Chevy

Hey Chevy,

Thanks for the reply.

Booting with -v gives me the following error as mentioned in my post earlier:

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

I'm not exactly sure what all that means as I've never come across it. What I might suggest and I know you don't really want to do it, is reinstall OSX again. I know, I know, it's not what you want to do, but something is going on and it's easier to reinstall than it is to bash your head against the wall trying to figure it out.

Now you say when you did the install it went fine and there were no issues, correct? I will assume so. Now the boot 132 cd and boot up into the new install. Now get chameleon and make sure you have the correct version. You want the one for DFE Hard Drive not the regular chameleon boot loader. It can be confusing. So now you have the right one. Open the dmg and then open the extras folder. Now mount the boot 132 cd and then mount the INITRD.img. Open the extra folder and drag the extentions folder out over to the Chameleon extra contents folder. Once that is done you now can install the Chameleon bootloader. Once that is done you can reboot and try it out. Hopefully you have the IntelCPUMDisabler.kext in the INITRD.img file and that file will disable loading of the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext file.

I know this works as I have just done this very same thing and a brand new hard drive. I used my retail copy of OSX 10.5 and then used software update to install 10.5.5 combo updated and it worked perfectly. I had to reinstall audio kexts and SATA kexts, but that's it.

Good luck and keep us informed,

Chevy :P

Hello there,

I tried to install it using a macbook retail DVD of Leopard 10.5.2 but I'm getting a message saying the installation program cannot install leopard in this system. And once I checked the logs...I got some lines, including this one:

Unable to determine UUID for host. Error 35

I'm using GENERIC.ISO ( 40mb ) posted in the first post of this topic...

I own a P5KPL motherboard, C2D 8400 3.0Ghz, IDE HD.

At the moment I'm running Leo4allv2, updated to 10.5.4...

What could this be?

I need help with boot-132. I tried three different bootloaders, the noob iso, the generic and one for my mainboard Asus P5W DH Deluxe. But after I boot up with the bootloader, change discs and want to install Mac OS X 10.5.4, after a few seconds this error message appears:

EBIOS read error: Controller or device error

Block 16432736 Sectors 64

The error appears four times, and after about ten seconds of further loading the PC reboots. I tried this with two different IDE drives. Yesterday I bought a SATA DVD drive and removed all IDE drives, but still the same error ... I tried different IDE configuration settings in the BIOS, switching between Standard IDE and AHCI mode, but it's always the same.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Could be your Mac OS X DVD wasn't burned properly. Try burning it again with a good DL-DVD at 1x speed. Or buy the retail one.

I'm not exactly sure what all that means as I've never come across it. What I might suggest and I know you don't really want to do it, is reinstall OSX again. I know, I know, it's not what you want to do, but something is going on and it's easier to reinstall than it is to bash your head against the wall trying to figure it out.

Now you say when you did the install it went fine and there were no issues, correct? I will assume so. Now the boot 132 cd and boot up into the new install. Now get chameleon and make sure you have the correct version. You want the one for DFE Hard Drive not the regular chameleon boot loader. It can be confusing. So now you have the right one. Open the dmg and then open the extras folder. Now mount the boot 132 cd and then mount the INITRD.img. Open the extra folder and drag the extentions folder out over to the Chameleon extra contents folder. Once that is done you now can install the Chameleon bootloader. Once that is done you can reboot and try it out. Hopefully you have the IntelCPUMDisabler.kext in the INITRD.img file and that file will disable loading of the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext file.

I know this works as I have just done this very same thing and a brand new hard drive. I used my retail copy of OSX 10.5 and then used software update to install 10.5.5 combo updated and it worked perfectly. I had to reinstall audio kexts and SATA kexts, but that's it.

Good luck and keep us informed,

Chevy :rolleyes:

Hi Chevy :angel:

Reinstalling is no problem for me at this stage.

I'm doing this all on a spare SATA disk, removed my normal OSx install HD and put this test disk in.

So my "normal" OSx install is not affected.

What I did:

boot 132 iso, swap disc to retail.

Install retail.

boot 132 iso, option 80 for harddisk. Boot into leopard.

Installed chameleon for harddisk (not the "normal" chameleon), repaired permissions and than reboot.

Booted from harddisk, no problem. Did the software update to 10.5.5

After the update there is no way to boot into Leopard anymore.

I will have a look at the IntelCPUMDisabler.kext

But I think I have that one loaded...

I'm running into problems using the BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso and the following kexts:

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext

dsmos.kext

It's a minimal set of kexts because my first priority is getting into the installer properly. Initially everything goes well; I boot the kabyl CD; swap it for the retail DVD and booting seems to be fine. Then I get to the purple Nebula screen (default Leopard background), but I do not get any dialog. Instead I just get the busy-mousepointer (which seems to flicker a bit sometimes) and my dvd and HD drive seem to be idle.

My specs:

- Asus P5K w/ P35 chipset

- Q6600

- Asus SATA dvd+/-RW DL

- Raptor 150GB (server edition, without clearcover)

- Spinpoint F1 1TB

- Geforce 8600GT

My system works fine with Kalyway (now typing from OS X 10.5.5), but I wanted to reinstall properly using the retail DVD. But no luck so far. Does anyone have any clue to what's going on? Help would really be appreciated. Tnx!

Hello there,

I tried to install it using a macbook retail DVD of Leopard 10.5.2 but I'm getting a message saying the installation program cannot install leopard in this system. And once I checked the logs...I got some lines, including this one:

What could this be?

You can not use a disc that is for a Macbook or Macbook Pro. You must use a retail copy for like an Imac or Mac-Pro.

Chevy

Hi Chevy

Reinstalling is no problem for me at this stage.

I'm doing this all on a spare SATA disk, removed my normal OSx install HD and put this test disk in.

So my "normal" OSx install is not affected.

What I did:

boot 132 iso, swap disc to retail.

Install retail.

boot 132 iso, option 80 for harddisk. Boot into leopard.

Installed chameleon for harddisk (not the "normal" chameleon), repaired permissions and than reboot.

Booted from harddisk, no problem. Did the software update to 10.5.5

After the update there is no way to boot into Leopard anymore.

I will have a look at the IntelCPUMDisabler.kext

But I think I have that one loaded...

Did move over the contents from the boot 132 cd to the extras folder in the Chameleon boot installer? Also I don't think you need to repair permissions. I never did. You could add back your good hard drive and then boot to it. From there navigate to the newly OSX install and then make your way to the extensions floder and see if you have the AppleIntelCPUPowerMangement.kext file. If you do delete it. Now reboot and see if that works. Can you boot the install via the boot 132 cd since you did the update to 10.5.5?

Chevy

I have been running 10.5.4 without too many problems (having installed from Kalyway 10.5.2/leopard retail) on my Abit IP35 PRO / Q6600 / dual-head NVIDIA 8600GT system.

Unfortunately, I then tried to do the 10.5.5 upgrade and things fell apart fast. I got half way through the installation and the system hung. Restarting showed that the AppleACPIPowerManagement kext was panicking; removed that and I could boot and start to log in, but all apps died.

So I did some searching and came across a guide for installation using a retail DVD and the Boot-132 disk. Tried that. However, I get a ways into the booting from the retail DVD and the system hangs.

The last things printed (after a bunch of complaints from mDNSResponder) are (abbreviated a bit):

resetting IOCatalogue.
Matching service count=1
Matching service count=1
Matching service count=1
Matching service count=1
Matching service count=1
Matching service count=1
Sep 19 ... root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation
Apple16X50PCI4: Identified 4 Serial channels ata PCI BUs=2 Dev=4 Func=0
Apple16X50UARTSync4a: Detected ... (3 more lines, for each port of my 4-port serial card)
NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

What I'm looking for is a way to safely install OS/X so that future upgrades won't kill the system.

Failing that, a suggestion as to how to recover from my current situation would be welcomed. I do have the Kalyway system on a partition and could re-install from that (but would have a problem when I did the 10.5.5 upgrade).

I have been running 10.5.4 without too many problems (having installed from Kalyway 10.5.2/leopard retail) on my Abit IP35 PRO / Q6600 / dual-head NVIDIA 8600GT system.

Unfortunately, I then tried to do the 10.5.5 upgrade and things fell apart fast. I got half way through the installation and the system hung. Restarting showed that the AppleACPIPowerManagement kext was panicking; removed that and I could boot and start to log in, but all apps died.

So I did some searching and came across a guide for installation using a retail DVD and the Boot-132 disk. Tried that. However, I get a ways into the booting from the retail DVD and the system hangs.

The last things printed (after a bunch of complaints from mDNSResponder) are (abbreviated a bit):

CODE

resetting IOCatalogue.

Matching service count=1

Matching service count=1

Matching service count=1

Matching service count=1

Matching service count=1

Matching service count=1

Sep 19 ... root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation

Apple16X50PCI4: Identified 4 Serial channels ata PCI BUs=2 Dev=4 Func=0

Apple16X50UARTSync4a: Detected ... (3 more lines, for each port of my 4-port serial card)

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

What I'm looking for is a way to safely install OS/X so that future upgrades won't kill the system.

Failing that, a suggestion as to how to recover from my current situation would be welcomed. I do have the Kalyway system on a partition and could re-install from that (but would have a problem when I did the 10.5.5 upgrade).

That installation hang happened to me as well. What I did was download the 10.5.5 delta update from apple and reinstall the update via another OSX drive. So boot up into another OSX partition or drive and reinstall the update to drive or partition you want. You need to run this code in terminal

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

before you run the update. You open terminal and type sudo -s and enter password. This gives you root rights. Then copy and paste code, hit enter. Now run the update. Once done don't reboot yet. Go back to terminal and hit Control + C. That will end the command and then type exit to finnish. Once done quite terminal and reboot machine. It will need to reboot twice so don't panic it's normal. If all goes well you will see OSX desktop after second reboot.

Chevy

Booting with -v gives me the following error as mentioned in my post earlier:

I already got this some time before (on 10.5 release, not 10.5.5), but it seems it can have various causes.

Can you see other errors before ?

In my case I had also "*ACPI*" errors, which lead me to check ACPI kexts. I could resolve it by adding a right "IOACPIFamily.kext" in my extra extensions folder.

Hello there,

What could this be?

The "Error 35" is a quite common one, don't care about it. If you want to avoid this, follow this link :

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,83.0.html

For your installation problem, you should be able to go through it but with some manipulations. If you're interrested in, I could explain it more precisely. Basically, you have to extract the content of your retail DVD on a partition, then modify (under your Leo4all) the content of one file (OSInstall.mpkg) in order to bypass the machine type test, and finally launch the installation of your new system from your Leo4all one, using the modified OSInstall file.

He selects the hard drive (80) it's formatted so he can't boot from it, so he must enter 9f to boot his retail disk I think that's the problem.

thanks, that was the issue!

now i have another problem. i have two sata hd's in my case. i tried the boot 132 method on my smaller hd and everything is working just right. however, when i tried to install it on my primary hd, everything works EXCEPT that the dvd drive is not recognized at all (neither in system profiler or on desktop)

any ideas what is causing this? i have access to all the files on my secondary drive so if it is just kexts, i can drag and drop on my primary hard drive

thanks!

That installation hang happened to me as well. What I did was download the 10.5.5 delta update from apple and reinstall the update via another OSX drive. So boot up into another OSX partition or drive and reinstall the update to drive or partition you want. You need to run this code in terminal

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

before you run the update. You open terminal and type sudo -s and enter password. This gives you root rights. Then copy and paste code, hit enter. Now run the update. Once done don't reboot yet. Go back to terminal and hit Control + C. That will end the command and then type exit to finnish. Once done quite terminal and reboot machine. It will need to reboot twice so don't panic it's normal. If all goes well you will see OSX desktop after second reboot.

Chevy

Thanks for that suggestion.

I did remove that .kext and was able to reboot and log in but because of the half-done installation other things were broken.

So I used my Kalyway 10.5.1 install disk (which I already have on another partition) to install on another partition so I could then install the 10.5.5. combo upgrade onto the main drive. And I also ran the script that moved some .kexts and copied other replacement ones in, and was able to log in and things started up OK.

However, when I shut it down to test the shutdown and then restarted it I get repeated crashes from kextd. So now I'm going to install the upgrade again and run the script again, hoping for the best.

Hey, could someone help me with this issue:

I have one hard drive in my laptop. Trying to get Vista and OS X. I did this boot 132 process and installed my retail osx on my laptop... everything worked great, osx was running great!

then I tried installing vista on half of the drive...on the second partition, and it wouldn't let me install it. said the drive was in GPT. any way to get both vista and osx running (using my retail cd so I can get the updates as well)?

any help would be appreciated!

jus hit me up with a msg if you have any suggestions.

thanks

Hey, could someone help me with this issue:

I have one hard drive in my laptop. Trying to get Vista and OS X. I did this boot 132 process and installed my retail osx on my laptop... everything worked great, osx was running great!

then I tried installing vista on half of the drive...on the second partition, and it wouldn't let me install it. said the drive was in GPT. any way to get both vista and osx running (using my retail cd so I can get the updates as well)?

any help would be appreciated!

jus hit me up with a msg if you have any suggestions.

thanks

Look at the wiki page to find guides on how to install Vista and OS X at the same time.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...allation_Guides

Hi, I'm running 10.5.5 with the Boot 132 Method, evrithing is working ok except for a few errors in system log:

kextd[72]: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireIP.kext

kernel[0]: ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure

and

socketfilterfw[51]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

this last error (error 35) smaetimes is onlyone, this i posted and sometimes there are a few mores

This is my spec:

GA EP35-DS3P - Intel C2D E8400 running at 3,2Ghz

2Gb DDR2 in Dual Channel Config

XFX Nvidia 8600GT 512

Insatlled with Apple Retail DVD 10.5.0 Updated to 10.5.4 and then 10.5.5

Chameleon DFE for Hard Disk Boot