AppleACPIBatteryManager for Tiger and Leopard

418 posts in this topic

hey

i tried the BatteryManager b14.

my battery symbol is back! wohoo!

but...

inside the symbol is an x...no matter if the power cable is connected or not. in the preferences i can make settings for battery/cable...but the symbol is allways the same.

i can not enable time or percentage :-/

is there a chance to fix that?

Have a look a this post it tells you what to do

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=811722

@Chun nan If I use hda non patched it works on shutdown It also works if i delete appleacpibattery kext.......

Hi robi62,

If possible, can you post the patched AppleHDA your are using now? Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Chun-nan my PowerManagement.bundle size is 264KB.It seems he doesn't check this topic anymore.

Hi poopmonkey,

Sorry for the late reply. According to my 10.5.4 Leopard, the file size is 132KB. You may want to try the PowerManagement package listed on the 1st post.

Chun-Nan

hey

i tried the BatteryManager b14.

my battery symbol is back! wohoo!

but...

inside the symbol is an x...no matter if the power cable is connected or not. in the preferences i can make settings for battery/cable...but the symbol is allways the same.

i can not enable time or percentage :-/

is there a chance to fix that?

Hi robert_,

If you have replaced PowerManagement to make your battery meter work before, you need to restore the original PowerManagement. You may want to try the PowerManagement package listed on the 1st post.

AppleACPIBatteryManager will not work with patched PowerManagement.

Chun-Nan

Hey Chun-Nan,

just tried it with a fresh, clean kalyway install (updated to 10.5.4)

now the battery is even not shown B)

It is even not shown in the systempreferences -> energysettings :/

i tried it with b14 and installed it like described in post #13

may you have some ideas???

i tried the powermanagement.bundle from your post #1, too. but it doesnt work too ;)

thanks for helping!

greets,

robert

I have installed this package and it works. It detects AC and shows percentage and time. In the profiler it shows though that my battery has 2940 mAh capacity; that should be 4800. Also it says that I should check my battery condition. My system is a Acer Aspire 5672. Is my battery really dying or could this be a bug in the AppleACPIBattery kext? Is there a way to check this in Windows too? I can't find any info in the Acer software or in Windows itself...

Hi Chun-Nan,

after installing 10.5.5 the battery menu is gone.

I am using b14 wich was working very well on HP 6510b, also with sec. Batt.

I installed 10.5.5 without tweaking the install process and leaving everything vanilla.

hope you can help

Edit:

After several boot times it is back.

I don't know why.

Hey Chun-Nan,

just tried it with a fresh, clean kalyway install (updated to 10.5.4)

now the battery is even not shown :(

It is even not shown in the systempreferences -> energysettings :/

i tried it with b14 and installed it like described in post #13

may you have some ideas???

i tried the powermanagement.bundle from your post #1, too. but it doesnt work too :(

thanks for helping!

greets,

robert

Hi robert_,

You can check your ioreg_sp to see if AppleACPIBatteryManager & AppleACPIBatteryDevice are loaded or not. If they are not loaed, try to check file permission. If they are loaded, it may have something to do with powermanagement.bundle.

I don't have kalyway DVD so I am not sure what version of powermanagement it includes.

Chun-Nan

I changed my Powermanagement.bundle to the original one and I do not see the battery meter but I do see the battery information in the system profile under Power. Also, my Powermanagement bundle is now 172KB.

Hi poopmonkey,

To be honest with you, I have no ideas why the battery meter doesn't show but battery informaiton does on your notebook. You may want to try other leopard DVDs to see if it makes difference. (Retail Leopard will show battery meter for sure.)

Chun-Nan

I have installed this package and it works. It detects AC and shows percentage and time. In the profiler it shows though that my battery has 2940 mAh capacity; that should be 4800. Also it says that I should check my battery condition. My system is a Acer Aspire 5672. Is my battery really dying or could this be a bug in the AppleACPIBattery kext? Is there a way to check this in Windows too? I can't find any info in the Acer software or in Windows itself...

Hi Flashlab,

Basically, AppleACPIBatteryManager just shows the data it read from ACPI table. The caculation is also based the data it read from ACPI table. If possible, please you post your ioreg_sp.txt as a file here so that I can check if it is due to software bugs or ACPI issues. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Hi Chun-Nan,

after installing 10.5.5 the battery menu is gone.

I am using b14 wich was working very well on HP 6510b, also with sec. Batt.

I installed 10.5.5 without tweaking the install process and leaving everything vanilla.

hope you can help

Edit:

After several boot times it is back.

I don't know why.

Has anyone else had any difficulties since upgrading to 10.5.5?

My screensaver will no longer work on its own unless I log out then back in. It works from hot corners and testing it in system prefs, but will not start on its own from a power on or reboot without the logout trick.

This may have something to do with the PowerManagementbundle but I can't figure out a solution.

Any ideas?

It works on 10.4.9, compiled from the Source, but same Errors:

kld(): com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager load command 2 unknown cmd field

kld_load_from_memory() failed for module com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager

\^[[33mFailed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager.

\^[[0mCouldn't alloc class "AppleACPIBatteryManager"

So how to get ride of it?

Here you go, Chun Nan! Thank you for your efforts!

Hi Flashlab,

According to your ioreg_sp, you seem not to use AppleACPIBatteryManager.

| +-o BAT1 <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | {

| | | "_UID" = "1"

| | | "name" = <504e503043304100>

| | | "_STA" = 0xf

| | | }

| | |

| | +-o ACPIBattery <class ACPIBattery, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | | {

| | | "IOProviderClass" = "IOACPIPlatformDevice"

| | | "IOProbeScore" = 0x0

| | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.superhai.driver.ACPIBattery"

| | | "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"

| | | "IONameMatched" = "PNP0C0A"

| | | "IOClass" = "ACPIBattery"

| | | "IONameMatch" = "PNP0C0A"

| | | "BAT1" = (0x2,0xfbdd,0x9d9,0x2)

| | | "IOPowerManagement" = {"CurrentPowerState"=0x1}

| | | }

| | |

| | +-o ACPIBatteryPowerSource <class ACPIBatteryPowerSource, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>

Maybe you can ask the owner of that driver about your issues.

Chun-Nan

It works on 10.4.9, compiled from the Source, but same Errors:

kld(): com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager load command 2 unknown cmd field

kld_load_from_memory() failed for module com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager

\^[[33mFailed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager.

\^[[0mCouldn't alloc class "AppleACPIBatteryManager"

So how to get ride of it?

Hi riws,

I don't have 10.4.9 right now. You may want to try it on 10.4.11.

Chun-Nan

Has anyone else had any difficulties since upgrading to 10.5.5?

My screensaver will no longer work on its own unless I log out then back in. It works from hot corners and testing it in system prefs, but will not start on its own from a power on or reboot without the logout trick.

This may have something to do with the PowerManagementbundle but I can't figure out a solution.

Any ideas?

Hi eraserhead77,

I haven't tried 10.5.5 yet so I am not sure why it caused the problem. It may have something to do with video card drivers?

Chun-Nan

Thanks Chun Nan...I got it figured out...sort of. Was able to manually change it via a shell command. Don't think its has to do with video drivers, as I am was still QE/CI enabled after the update. Others have had this issue including users of true Macs, and its not just isolated to this update. Not really sure what caused it, but I am fine with a manual script to change the idle time. Everything I read says it it related to the PowerManagementBundle.

See my original thread...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry898242

Thanks Chun Nan...I got it figured out...sort of. Was able to manually change it via a shell command. Don't think its has to do with video drivers, as I am was still QE/CI enabled after the update. Others have had this issue including users of true Macs, and its not just isolated to this update. Not really sure what caused it, but I am fine with a manual script to change the idle time. Everything I read says it it related to the PowerManagementBundle.

See my original thread...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry898242

Hi,

Perhaps you're right about the new Powermanagement.bundle is the culprit. Can you confirm 10.5.5 update also include new PowerManagement.bundle? You may try to replace the 10.5.5 PowerManagement.bundle with 10.5.4 PowerManagement.bundle to see if it can make any difference. Always backup current kext before replacing it. Maybe there is a bug in 10.5.5 PowerManagement.bundle since this issue also effect original Macbook/iMac. It is not strange when new update cause some bug/problem to original Macbook because I have seen it.

Hello Chun-Nan,

I have been trying different battery monitors to see the difference. I guess I upped the io_reg file from a different kext... Sorry!

Here is the one with your kext.

Hi Flashlab,

From your ioreg_sp.txt:

| | +-o AppleACPIBatteryManager <class AppleACPIBatteryManager, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 6>

| | | {

| | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager"

| | | "Battery Information" = (0x1,0x12c0,0xb7c,0x1,0x39d0,0x12c,0x75,0x20,0x20,"ZB01",<393400000000000000>,"LION","11 ")

| | | "IOClass" = "AppleACPIBatteryManager"

| | | "Battery Status" = (0x1,0x874,0x8ac,0x1)

| | | }

| | |

Battery Information and Battery Status are the data directly read from ACPI table before any caculations.

It showed that the design capacity is 0x12c0 (4800) and the last full charge capacity is 0xb7c (2940). I am not sure if ACPI table didn't post the correct data or the battery is getting old.

In addition, on "Battery Status", your current Voltage is very low (0x1) which seems odd to me.

Chun-Nan

Hi Flashlab,

From your ioreg_sp.txt:

| | +-o AppleACPIBatteryManager <class AppleACPIBatteryManager, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 6>

| | | {

| | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIBatteryManager"

| | | "Battery Information" = (0x1,0x12c0,0xb7c,0x1,0x39d0,0x12c,0x75,0x20,0x20,"ZB01",<393400000000000000>,"LION","11 ")

| | | "IOClass" = "AppleACPIBatteryManager"

| | | "Battery Status" = (0x1,0x874,0x8ac,0x1)

| | | }

| | |

Battery Information and Battery Status are the data directly read from ACPI table before any caculations.

It showed that the design capacity is 0x12c0 (4800) and the last full charge capacity is 0xb7c (2940). I am not sure if ACPI table didn't post the correct data or the battery is getting old.

In addition, on "Battery Status", your current Voltage is very low (0x1) which seems odd to me.

Chun-Nan

I think my battery is getting old then; in Windows my battery life isn't what it used to be either.

Two complete drains and charges have brought my battery back over 4200mAh capacity and status to "Good" again. So I'll do one more and hope to get even closer to my original 4800mAh again; tips thanks to BatteryUniversity!

chun-nan,

tested appleacpibatterymanager b14 - somehow my mouse pointer is jumpy like crazy every minute.

I'm also using intelenhancedspeedstep 1.3.2 and appleacpiplatform 1.2.1 on a pentium m sse2

same problems with me here... and my battery still shows 123% in the energy saver panel...

but it shows right model in the system profiler...

trying the b13 now...

edited: with the b13 one it shows 2 battery icon so i installed the 14 back...