AppleACPIBatteryManager for Tiger and Leopard

418 posts in this topic

Hi Chun-Nan,

Thanks for the link. The method works near 80 percent :D

But a new problem has been arise here, computer seems to be shutdown without KP :D but not actually shutdown properly :wacko: (all lights including the power light are on,display goes black then i had to long press the power button to shut the computer down.)

i guess we are very close to the sloution. What you think?

Thanks.

emuzaman.

With my experince that is as close as I got...

I had the same issue when using Taruga's patches. It didn't matter what I did, the Shutdown fix did not work, replacing ALCInject with HDA Enabler did nothing, it didn't matter...I tried pretty much everything multiple times to no avail.

Basically something is breaking your shutdown process and causing the computer to sleep instead of shutdown, which is why you have to press the power button to get it to shut down completely.

The solution that worked for me was to get rid of the Taruga patch and all associated files and use the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext instead. This was what had worked in the past for me and it works just fine except there is no mic or line in channels. I don't know about you but I can live without that, I would rather have a computer that shuts down properly rather than risk damage to the laptop by it overheating.

See here, it doesn't work for everyone, but it is a pretty generic driver that spans multiple cards...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97201

Which Audio Card do you have btw? Mine was ALC262, which was still in beta at the time the wiki went down. It worked for some but not others, and even without the shutdown issue I couldn't get the line in working so it was not a big deal to go back to the AppleAzalia method.

Hi Mac the bob,

According to your ioreg_sp.txt, you still have AppleACPIPowerSource installed on your system. Check the "Plugins" Folder inside your "AppleACPIPlatform" and make sure you don't have ApplACPIPowerSource installed.

Chun-Nan

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'm being really stupid here, but I can find no trace of a plugins folder or a AppleACPIPlatform on my machine? I'm obviously not looking in the correct place or something, but I've tried searching for both of these and it can only find reference to these in the files that I have posted on this forum. Could this be the issue?

I have also tried connecting my second battery to see if it makes any difference and although the battery life goes up considerably, up to an hour (rather than 15mins), I should be getting about 7-8 hours with these 2 batteries.

Also when the second battery is connected, the time indicator shows as "Batteries not charging" and it only shows me the time when I ask it to show the time remaining in the taskbar.

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'm being really stupid here, but I can find no trace of a plugins folder or a AppleACPIPlatform on my machine? I'm obviously not looking in the correct place or something, but I've tried searching for both of these and it can only find reference to these in the files that I have posted on this forum. Could this be the issue?

I have also tried connecting my second battery to see if it makes any difference and although the battery life goes up considerably, up to an hour (rather than 15mins), I should be getting about 7-8 hours with these 2 batteries.

Also when the second battery is connected, the time indicator shows as "Batteries not charging" and it only shows me the time when I ask it to show the time remaining in the taskbar.

Hi,

AppleACPIPowerSource.kext file originally installed in this folder:-

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

If it is not there, you probably have remove it before. However, you should have AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Good luck. :)

kizwan

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Mac the bob,

Try this AppleACPIBatteryManager and let me know the result (ioreg_sp.txt). If you still cannot find where the AppleACPIPowerSource is located, that is fine. Just make sure you use ORIGINAL PowerManagement or AppleACPIBatteryManager won't work.

In addition, I don't think it will show the correct informaiton when you use two batteries at the same time. So try it with only one battery.

Chun-Nan

AppleACPIBatteryManager.mac.the.bob.zip

Hi Chun-Nan,

Thanks for the link. The method works near 80 percent :)

But a new problem has been arise here, computer seems to be shutdown without KP :D but not actually shutdown properly :) (all lights including the power light are on,display goes black then i had to long press the power button to shut the computer down.)

i guess we are very close to the sloution. What you think?

Thanks.

emuzaman.

Hi emuzaman,

It seems that the AppleHDA you are using now has something to do with shutdown issue or cause conflict with AppleACPIBatteryManager. I don't have the source code of AppleHDA so I don't know how to test it.

Chun-Nan

I found the file from the poster above and have deleted it.

Thank you very much for posting the file, but I don't seem to be having much luck. I've tried using the file you posted and have loaded the original powermanagment file from the first post to see if that will resolve it but no luck.

I've attached my latest ioreg_sp.txt file if it's any help.

Thanks

Mac the Bob

ioreg_sp2.rtf

I found the file from the poster above and have deleted it.

Thank you very much for posting the file, but I don't seem to be having much luck. I've tried using the file you posted and have loaded the original powermanagment file from the first post to see if that will resolve it but no luck.

I've attached my latest ioreg_sp.txt file if it's any help.

Thanks

Mac the Bob

Hi Mac the bob,

According to your ioreg_sp, it showed it didn't detect any batteries. Make sure you put the battery in the ONE of the battery bays while booting into OSX.

Chun-Nan

Hmmm....that's strange because the battery is well and truly attached to the machine.

although...

That does make sense because I am having an issue getting the machine to boot from the battery. The power light just flashes when I try. If I connect the AC adapter it boots up fine. I can also remove the AC adapter at the bios flash screen seconds after pressing the power button.

As the machine does not respond to the battery before it gets anywhere near the OS I was thinking that it may be an issue with the bios although I cannot find anything relating to power in the slightest in the (very basic) bios.

I've just swapped the battery on my laptop with the one from my work laptop (never guess where I got my nc6400?) and it seems to be a lot better at booting off the battery (i'll get them to replace the other one! :censored2:) , but I still have the issue with the indicator not showing.

Do you think that trying to load the kexts again in a different order might make a difference?

Mac the Bob

Hmmm....that's strange because the battery is well and truly attached to the machine.

although...

That does make sense because I am having an issue getting the machine to boot from the battery. The power light just flashes when I try. If I connect the AC adapter it boots up fine. I can also remove the AC adapter at the bios flash screen seconds after pressing the power button.

As the machine does not respond to the battery before it gets anywhere near the OS I was thinking that it may be an issue with the bios although I cannot find anything relating to power in the slightest in the (very basic) bios.

I've just swapped the battery on my laptop with the one from my work laptop (never guess where I got my nc6400?) and it seems to be a lot better at booting off the battery (i'll get them to replace the other one! :) ) , but I still have the issue with the indicator not showing.

Do you think that trying to load the kexts again in a different order might make a difference?

Mac the Bob

Hi Mac the bob,

It seems that the "_STA" value didn't report correctly. It may relate to ACPI table or BIOS.

Since you have removed AppleACPIPowrSource, go back to try b11, b12 or b13 edition to see if it works. If possible, post the ioreg_sp.txt here. Thanks.

Chun-Nan

Neither of the b11,b12 or b13 editions seem to work.

The battery indicator quickly flashes up and then dissapears which makes me think it's a permissions issue, but I used the kexthelper program which should sort that out.

Here is my current ioreg_sp.txt file. The last one tried is b12.

Hi Mac the bob,

According to the ioreg_sp, AppleACPIBatteryManager is not loaded at all. Double check to see if AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext is inside "System/Library/Extensions" folder and has right permissions.

Chun-Nan

The file is definitely there and the permissions are:

system: Read and Write

Wheel: Read

Everyone: Read

Is this right?

Hi Mac the bob,

Try these steps:

1. Make sure "AppleACPIBatteryManager" is inside "System/Library/Extensions"

2. Open "Terminal"

3. Type "sudo -s"

4. Type "chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIBatteryManager*"

5. Type "chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIBatteryManager*"

6. Type "touch /System/Library/Extensions"

7. Exit "Terminal"

8. Reboot the OSX

Chun-Nan

Hi Mac the bob,

Try these steps:

1. Make sure "AppleACPIBatteryManager" is inside "System/Library/Extensions"

2. Open "Terminal"

3. Type "sudo -s"

4. Type "chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIBatteryManager*"

5. Type "chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIBatteryManager*"

6. Type "touch /System/Library/Extensions"

7. Exit "Terminal"

8. Reboot the OSX

Chun-Nan

Still no difference I'm afraid. No error messages appeared while typing in the commands and the permissions are still the same when I "get info".

Here's the latest log file.

I do appreciate all the help you are giving me.

Mac the Bob

ioreg_sp.rtf

Hi all.. how could it be that now I see battery specs in profiler but still can't see any icon on the taskbar???..

my note is an Acer 6920g..

Thanks in advance

RESOLVED... Kalyway doesn't seem to have the original POWERMANAGEMENT.bundle so after replacing it with the one provided by chun IT WORKS ;)

thanks all m8s