OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

Just connect an external hard disk, enable TimeMachine and start backing up. If you mess up, boot from DVD, go to Utilities -> TimeMachine and restore from the external hard disk. You manually have to restore the bootloader though (netkas / chameleon).

Carlos. My 1490 arrived today and yes. its all up and working perfectly in both XP and OSX.

The hardware install took a few goes. With the 1490 installed and screwed down tight, it didn't detect the card. I've had to leave it with a little slack on the screw to stop it pivoting on the motherboard mount underneath. But working now and fairly secure.

For the XP install, the setup program didn't work. It claimed no supported hardware found. i simply did a manual driver install and said I have the driver disk. Pointed it at the driver directory and it identified it fine and installed it. So no problems with XP & 1490's.

PM me if you need the driver location. I found it with a quick google, but I'm sure I can pull it from the history if you have issues.

Long story short - no issues with the 1490 in XP. ( But I only tested it for a few seconds before going out to dinner tonight, so stability may be an issue but I doubt it).

I read a lot about scroll on hackintosh OSX and gave up for a while. After killing both my keyboard and mouse input and having to recover from DVD, I got fed up trying. I did technically get it working using the guide on the forum, but not as I wanted.

Hi OSXOW

Great to hear it's working for you, I'm also dual booting. I located a cool app to do exactly what you're describing; it's called 'SideTrack', but unfortunately no joy yet - as it keeps telling me that the drivers aren't installed, even when I've installed them. I'd be interested to know if that's a problem with my config or if you get it to work:

http://sidetrack.en.softonic.com/mac

Also, did you get a wifi card that worked both in OS X and XP? I'm dual booting, but I can't get the Dell 1490 drivers to install correctly in XP and it's driving me mad. Have heard that the Dell 1500 is working with no probs, but don't want to bin my brand new 1490 unless I absolutely have to.

best

Carlos

Carlos,

Just an update on the scrolling - Sidekick was where I started out ... didn't get it to work I'm afraid.

None of the other mac tools for it worked either.

even easier: install kallyway or whatever distro: when restarting make sure your time machine hard drive is connected...then it will drag your files and apps...works failry well...I did have some odd problems once though. either way you can drag and drop manually too.

Just connect an external hard disk, enable TimeMachine and start backing up. If you mess up, boot from DVD, go to Utilities -> TimeMachine and restore from the external hard disk. You manually have to restore the bootloader though (netkas / chameleon).

the only way to get full audio is through USB audio device...just hardwire one in...any will do~ heck you can rewire the built in jacks to the usb device...I know I will!

Carlos. My 1490 arrived today and yes. its all up and working perfectly in both XP and OSX.

Thanks so much for getting back to me! I too got it to work with exactly the same method as you in the end, but even harder - I actually had to manually edit the ini to add in my device ID as it was ever so slightly a different revision of the card to the ones in the file. Also, I discovered NOT to use the newer bcmlw6.sys drivers, use the bcmwl5.sys instead and it all works out fine.

I read a lot about scroll on hackintosh OSX and gave up for a while. After killing both my keyboard and mouse input and having to recover from DVD, I got fed up trying. I did technically get it working using the guide on the forum, but not as I wanted.

Yeah, no joy here either. I think we're stuck on this for now. Until then.. ..remember that the space bar scrolls down a page in Firefox! (or buy a lovely bluetooth mouse like I did for 12 pounds on ebay)

I bought one of these: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/amigo/home.aspx

My buddy has one so I tried it out on my macbook pro and it seemed to work fine, even though it says supports only windows. It's got headphone jack, line out, and a built in mic (for ichat). My device should come in a few days so I'll let you know how it goes. A little more expensive than some of the others but seems to have good reviews and good quality.

I bought one of these: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/amigo/home.aspx

My buddy has one so I tried it out on my macbook pro and it seemed to work fine, even though it says supports only windows. It's got headphone jack, line out, and a built in mic (for ichat). My device should come in a few days so I'll let you know how it goes. A little more expensive than some of the others but seems to have good reviews and good quality.

Nice spot!

This has probably been mentioned already, but don't forget with the advent of Leopard came A2DP (Bluetooth Stereo audio) for those people who don't want extra accessories etc bulking up their netbook. I use these:

http://direct.motorola.com/ens/BTStereoHS_...ProductHome.asp

They work excellently with OS X on the wind, great audio quality with the (very) occasional crackle. And no wires! (just remember to select 'Headphones' and NOT 'Headset' when you pair up - if you choose both you'll get a conflict and consequently terrible audio)

@Carlos I have one those, and yup they rock. Though you can get an S9 too, they are also really nice.

Also I found that Leopard A2DP is very very buggy. FrontRow/VLC etc cause a lot of problems. I found Softick Audio Gateway, really nice

Also I found that Leopard A2DP is very very buggy. FrontRow/VLC etc cause a lot of problems. I found Softick Audio Gateway, really nice

Haven't tried it for more than 5 minutes at a time yet, is it really that bad? :)

Thanks for the heads up on Softick, sounds like I might have to give it a whirl! It still feels a bit annoying though having to bulk out my running processes just because OS X can't manage it.

Hi Paulobrien...

I've just got an MSI Wind U100 Notebook 2 days ago, and I can't wait to do an OSX install in this lightweight machine.

In your step by step guide of OSX on the MSI Wind, you said that BIOS Update to 1.05 is needed before the OSX install. But up until now i haven't be able to update the BIOS.

I've tried using MSI Live Update (web based) but it would not search for BIOS update, just some utilities update...

I've downloaded MSI Live Update 3.90 (program based) but once connected it tries to update itself to 3.92, then when it downloaded 3.92 version, the file is always corrupted.

I've also tried to update with USB boot disk but the BIOS update supplied by MSI cannot identify the BIOS at all.

What am I supposed to do? Do you have any file that I can use to update MSI BIOS to 1.05??

Please help me...

What might have gone wrong???

I have a white 3 cell Wind, and I thought I'd try to install OSX on it. I tried three times, and every time I failed at the same step: I couldn't get pass the "Welcome, Select your keyboard, and Do you already own a Mac?" stage. I give my responses to three questions and click continue, and I always end up seeing the "welcome" message again. No matter how many times I go through the same steps, I can never boot into OSX. Why??? Thanks a lot in advance for any comments and suggestions!!!

What might have gone wrong???

I have a white 3 cell Wind, and I thought I'd try to install OSX on it. I tried three times, and every time I failed at the same step: I couldn't get pass the "Welcome, Select your keyboard, and Do you already own a Mac?" stage. I give my responses to three questions and click continue, and I always end up seeing the "welcome" message again. No matter how many times I go through the same steps, I can never boot into OSX. Why??? Thanks a lot in advance for any comments and suggestions!!!

Please read the message #239

I'm so happy about my Leopard-running Wind! Many thanks to you all!!!

Now, the internal mic and the like aren't working, but I assume a bluetooth headset featuring a mic could get around that problem, right?

Thanks in advance for an answer, and my apologies if this question was already answered before.

Well, I got the 1490 off eBay, installed it and the computer wouldn't boot. Tried reseating it and keeping the holding screw less tight but that didn't work either.

I'm trying to return it for a replacement. Did I seat it wrong or is this just a defective part. After turning the computer on with it in the screen is blank and nothing happens. Turned it back off, cracked it open and the wifi card was hot. When I remove it, the computer boots just fine (though I was very worried at first). Any ideas? Is this thing just shorted out?