[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

My upgrade to 10.5.7 went smooth as well. I used the combo update, did the rm -rf trick to delete the power management kext, the dsmos.kext change and had to reapply HDA patch for audio.

The only problem I had was that my Cisco VPN client was causing OS X to hang at boot. Had to uninstall it, going to try reinstalling it later.

10.5.7 is safe for ep35 ds3l and I imagine all others that have similar boards.

Typical problems with audio but I bought the $7 symba usb audio... worthwhile.

For all the cowards: Diskutil - add partition - restore your original hd to the clone.

Boot the clone, update the clone, either it worked or it didn't and you know.

* Mine typically had to boot with -f two times before it would load fully.

Mr. Sauce

Thanks for all the help thusfar I have learned much from you and your awesome blog.

1) Will Uinstaller support Chameleon RC1, or is PC waiting for the final version?

2) I see you have a G31M-E2SL, I submitted a package for that board to Uinstaller with the dsdt etc. And it hasn't been implemented in the download database yet, what's the deal. Thats like the ultimate cheapo board.

3) Do you have plans for snow leo, I have been trying to boot it, and have not had much luck. I was wondering if you have played with it since the 10A354 build is close to final. I know I need the dsdt.aml.

4) I got a Highpoint Rocketraid 2300 (pcie) and it works nicely, $118.

But you need to update the card to version to 2.3 and get this kext... http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1085575

Love the wiki can not wait for it to flesh out.

-Haterade

I have 10.5.6 on my machine installed by using Boot-132 method.

In order to get 10.5.7 running, I have to do these steps. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. After I get the 10.5.7 combo update file, install it. It will reboot twice.

2. Manually shut down computer.

3. Put BootCD in and type 80.

And now you're done.

If you used the boot 132 method, or uinstaller, you should be fine.

Download the Delta update (10.5.6-10.5.7, delta means difference/change) instead of the combo( 10.5.All -10.5.7)

Install update, restart with -f once or twice.

Can you boot without the cd normally?

If not you need to download unistaller and apply the ga p35 ds3l package.

Let me know if you have more questions.

P.S. Download "EFIStudio" and use it to write a efi string for your videocard to the com.apple.boot.plist

My update to 10.5.7 worked perfectly just sounds didn't work after the update.

Problem is whilst trying to fix the sound I've killed it and it now wont boot.

I've booted with -v but cant really find anything that it is obviously causing a problem.

I thought never mind I'll restore from Time machine backup but when I boot from my DVD all it cant see the second drive in my system with the backup on.

Any one have any ideas before I start from scratch.

Its been interesting lesson for me :D

My update to 10.5.7 worked perfectly just sounds didn't work after the update.

Problem is whilst trying to fix the sound I've killed it and it now wont boot.

Hey Deano,

What exactly did you do to "try to fix the sound" that led it to break on you.

Just asking so others (like myself) don't make the same mistake... ;)

If you used the boot 132 method, or uinstaller, you should be fine.

Download the Delta update (10.5.6-10.5.7, delta means difference/change) instead of the combo( 10.5.All -10.5.7)

Install update, restart with -f once or twice.

Can you boot without the cd normally?

If not you need to download unistaller and apply the ga p35 ds3l package.

Let me know if you have more questions.

P.S. Download "EFIStudio" and use it to write a efi string for your videocard to the com.apple.boot.plist

I used boot 132 method with retail 10.5.6, and I can boot without the boot cd.

You're saying that I don't have to use combo update? Just install the delta and restart with -f? After installing the update, do I need to use uinstaller to apply ds3l package again?

Installed 10.5.7 , no problems by now (I've only repatched repatched HDA), Nvidia issue with quicktime solved ;) (no more mouse pointer stuck) and graphic also improved with my Nvidia 8800gt (no more random flickering, running smooth)

Installation with Chameleon and mandatory kexts in /Extra

10.5.7, killed my sound also. switched to voodooHDA and all good again! (I used weaksauce12's little Syba USB device for a while) Just replacing the new AppleHDA.kext with the old one did not work for me.

I used boot 132 method with retail 10.5.6, and I can boot without the boot cd.

You're saying that I don't have to use combo update? Just install the delta and restart with -f? After installing the update, do I need to use uinstaller to apply ds3l package again?

Yep, Delta and -f.

Once the package is installed, you do not have to install it again.

Everything should be smooth sailing.

I had to boot it twice with -f the first time failed, but the second time it worked fine.

Backup everything first just in case ;)

Good luck

I tried updating a 10.5.5 Kalyway install (turned vanilla using Weaksauce's guide) using the combo package and it won't boot anymore. Apparently there's an error with USBEHCI. Any ideas?

I won't do a complete reinstall until Snow Leopard is here, and I have no problems with 10.5.5.

The Thread became massive, been going through sh... loads of pages.

Guys I dont have spare money atm to buy a retail leopard, Im doing a clean install (after last screw up with 10.5.6 update) using Kalyway 10.5.2 then move to 5.3 -> 5.4->5.5->5.6 and so on.

My board is GA-EP35-DS3R

1.Now here is what I have been curious about (since my last install of OSX was over 10 months ago), do u still use CHUD.pkg to fix shutdown/restart issues or there is a newer way to do it?

2. In regards to the sound have there been anything new or PCwiz drivers are the ones to use?

Guys I dont have spare money atm to buy a retail leopard, Im doing a clean install (after last screw up with 10.5.6 update) using Kalyway 10.5.2 then move to 5.3 -> 5.4->5.5->5.6 and so on.

My board is GA-EP35-DS3R....

Bummer you couldn't get your install back up... :)

I know for me Kalyway was very good to me, I think you sup3r1or and I installed at the same time, but it's much easier to start off with 10.5.6 as it's a {censored} shoot to upgrade Kalyway.

The same place where you got Kalyway you can get a .dmg of 10.5.6 retail. Actually I'm very happy with the iPC install solid as a rock...but it looks like the thread has been nuked by the insanelymac owners. I have a retail install on my Samsung NC-10 runs solid too.

hey guys I have a ds3l and have been using this for over a year . lastet upgradde to 10.5.7 killed my sound which I will fix tonight but I goofed up a few days ago I needed to get into the bios and I hit f7 instead of del and somehow lost my sata dvd drive... what do I have to do to fix this. BTW I'm using ideneb 1.4 install which I have found to be very stable any help will be much thankful for

quick update... I repatched the kexts and it all works as far as I see with the exception of system profiller hardware console gives me this error5/15/09 10:11:00 PM System Profiler[248] Exception while calling [sPiPlatformReporter updateDictionary:]

*** -[sPPlatformReporter marketingStringForMHz:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x3b4a00 any ideas?

Grey:

10.5.6 kit works fine for that board.

On the drive you want to install to format MBR, 3 partitions.

If you use the chameleon bootloader, you can select what partition and consequently os to boot up.

Easy.

My board is GA-EP35-DS3R

1.Now here is what I have been curious about (since my last install of OSX was over 10 months ago), do u still use CHUD.pkg to fix shutdown/restart issues or there is a newer way to do it?

2. In regards to the sound have there been anything new or PCwiz drivers are the ones to use?

Download uinstaller, install the ds3l kit and you should be good to go.

The openhaltrestart.kext from psystar is included in that bundle and will fix your restart problems.

Alternatively you could install the voodopower.kext but that did not work for me on my ep35.

Hi guys,

I've built a few rigs following Weaksauce12's guide with flying colors. It's the best most straight-forward guide on this forum. I'm on 10.5.6 on the EP45-UD3P using Retail Leopard. I have it at 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Quad with 4 gigs of RAM and a Sapphire HD 3850 512MB DDR3 Vid Card.

Recently however, I made one for my office and I'm getting kernel panics galore. It seems to always happen when we're using a graphics editing program like Photoshop, Lightroom, and Aperture. I have it attached to a 30" Cinema Display. We have a Wacom tablet that I use to mess around with the photos, but the right drivers are installed for that.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem or has anyone else had such an issue? Would greatly appreciate any help. Should I try replacing the video card? Do you think it's that my current vid card can't handle the 30" display? Any tips at all would awesome. Thanks!

On a real Mac, kernel panics are often caused by flakey RAM (and that'd likely be getting a workout using Photoshop, etc...)

Try swapping it out with your working RAM from home and see if you still get KPs.

Patrick

Grey:

10.5.6 kit works fine for that board.

On the drive you want to install to format MBR, 3 partitions.

If you use the chameleon bootloader, you can select what partition and consequently os to boot up.

Ok, but is there any detailed instructions that i can follow? right now im using ubuntu 9.04, this is the only OS and i have only one HD but i had already partition the HD into 3 partitions.

thanks.

Yep, Delta and -f.

Once the package is installed, you do not have to install it again.

Everything should be smooth sailing.

I had to boot it twice with -f the first time failed, but the second time it worked fine.

Backup everything first just in case :D

Good luck

Working great!! Installed Delta 10.5.7 with -f and it booted twice.

After that just installed sound patch. Everything is working fine now. :)

what exactly does -f do?

When i updated with the Delta update, once it rebooted, i inserted the boot Cd, hit enter twice, typed in 80 and then booted. Did that twice, reapplied sound patch and that was that.

I hope i didn't screw anything up :)

EP45-UD3P

onboard ethernet

onboard sound

everything else irrelevant basically

i patched with the delta and panic'ed on applehda.kext

i then got in via single user, renamed that kext and was able to boot just fine but obviously with no sound

on a whim i tried the 10.5.6 version of applehda.kext and it worked just fine

not really sure what is going on with hda (or enabler compatibility?), but i am back up and working.

didn't really need 10.5.7 i don't think, but wanted to see if it worked.

wonderful package weaksauce.

thanks,

shawn