[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

I had my 10.5.5 installed by weaksauce12's tutorial for over 8 months. I decided to update to 10.5.6 with combo update.

Did not patch anything in case u wonder because everybody just told me just update it. Anyway the computer froze during update with grey screen!!!

Not sure but I had a similar problem when I first went to 10.5.6. I ended up reverting to the 10.5.5 Mach kernel (and then had to change several other things too- it was messy). I would advise doing a fresh re-install of the system using the newer Boot-132 iso. This worked fine for me (started at 10.5.0 install DVD) and now 10.5.6 works just fine. I never understood what was different between the two installs but the newest one has been very stable. You really need to have two drives (or at least partitions, but two drives is safer) to run a test system as well as a stable one- consider it the Hackintosh tax.

Not sure but I had a similar problem when I first went to 10.5.6. I ended up reverting to the 10.5.5 Mach kernel (and then had to change several other things too- it was messy). I would advise doing a fresh re-install of the system using the newer Boot-132 iso. This worked fine for me (started at 10.5.0 install DVD) and now 10.5.6 works just fine. I never understood what was different between the two installs but the newest one has been very stable. You really need to have two drives (or at least partitions, but two drives is safer) to run a test system as well as a stable one- consider it the Hackintosh tax.

And is there anyone who have a tutorial for my type of board? Or which DVD you recommend me to download?

And is there anyone who have a tutorial for my type of board? Or which DVD you recommend me to download?

Well your board is not really the subject of this thread (P35-DS3L) but may be close enough- the Boot-132 files and instructions are found in weaksauce12's post 1640. The install DVD is at your local Apple retailer.

Well your board is not really the subject of this thread (P35-DS3L) but may be close enough- the Boot-132 files and instructions are found in weaksauce12's post 1640. The install DVD is at your local Apple retailer.

Okay, I have lost my iphone 3g a couple of days ago and I need to pay for my studies soon, so buying retail Leopard is out of the question at the moment, any other suggestions you might give me for the time being?

I know this is not windows but even there theres a safe mode if something goes wrong, any way to delete kernel that causes panic and boot up into system.

I heard I needed to apply certain patches before 10.5.6 update in order not to cause kernel panic, but somebody over here just gave me a green light to just install it and it will be fine.

I had some info there on the desktop that I need, any way to get back into the system?

Please help at least anyone

I had my 10.5.5 installed by weaksauce12's tutorial for over 8 months. I decided to update to 10.5.6 with combo update.

Did not patch anything in case u wonder because everybody just told me just update it. Anyway the computer froze during update with grey screen!!!

Now i have kernel panic, (APPLE CPU POWER MANAGEMENT KERNEL INVOLVED) never encountered that, please tell me what to do? how to boot back up into system as I DO NOT WANT TO RE-INSTALL the whole system again!!!

I have mach-kernel and extensions backed up only:(

BTW mainboard: EP35C-DS3R

When the update ran it installed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext kext, which was immediately loaded and caused your system to hang. You'll need to delete that file (boot off of an install CD), then boot into safe mode and re-run the update. Before you run the update, open a terminal, su to root and run the following:

"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"

This will delete the kext once it appears and prevent the system from hanging. I had the same problem.

When the update ran it installed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext kext, which was immediately loaded and caused your system to hang. You'll need to delete that file (boot off of an install CD), then boot into safe mode and re-run the update. Before you run the update, open a terminal, su to root and run the following:

"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"

This will delete the kext once it appears and prevent the system from hanging. I had the same problem.

I aways used Kalyway 10.5.2 installation DVD, how do I boot off from install CD? ATM I have chameleon on that partition, I used DVD but it puts me into installation process from the beginning. may be Im doing something wrong? Can you give me some tip.

Thanks for your help man, at last a good advice

I aways used Kalyway 10.5.2 installation DVD, how do I boot off from install CD? ATM I have chameleon on that partition, I used DVD but it puts me into installation process from the beginning. may be Im doing something wrong? Can you give me some tip.

Thanks for your help man, at last a good advice

You're doing the right things - you want to boot off of the installation DVD as if you were going to do an install. Instead of continuing on with the install however, go to Utilities on the menu bar and select Terminal. From there you can delete the offending file from your hard drive. The install DVD will have automatically mounted your boot volume (look under df to see where it mounted it, someplace under /Volumes) from there you can change to the proper path and delete the file (eg /Volumes/MyHardDrive/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext)

You're doing the right things - you want to boot off of the installation DVD as if you were going to do an install. Instead of continuing on with the install however, go to Utilities on the menu bar and select Terminal. From there you can delete the offending file from your hard drive. The install DVD will have automatically mounted your boot volume (look under df to see where it mounted it, someplace under /Volumes) from there you can change to the proper path and delete the file (eg /Volumes/MyHardDrive/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext)

I have spent 40 minutes in the terminal window but due to my lack of knowledge of the terminal commands I wasn't able to achieve anything.

I use a whole HDD for my Leopard which is labeled as Hard Drive (with space in between).

Which command do i use to navigate to a proper path? which command do I use to delete the kext (rm?).

I have tried several but wasnt able to achieve anything it keeps telling me cant find file or directory.

Is there any chance you can write me a small tutorial or anything how it is supposed to look like step by step, I would be very very grateful to you.

Hopefully this is going to be the last thing.

Thanks

I feel your pain sup3r1or...wish I understood more about the Terminal and how to navigate and modify certain files. There might be a tutorial around somewhere in this forum...but might be hard to find. Might need to start a new thread for help.

With that said, I have OS X installed on three separate hard drives for occasions just like this. I killed my main install a couple months ago and was able to boot up in a backup OS X and install Chameleon to bring my main OS back to life. I was sweating bullets as it was my perfect build not cloned yet.

Wish I could be more of a help! :(

I feel your pain sup3r1or...wish I understood more about the Terminal and how to navigate and modify certain files. There might be a tutorial around somewhere in this forum...but might be hard to find. Might need to start a new thread for help.

With that said, I have OS X installed on three separate hard drives for occasions just like this. I killed my main install a couple months ago and was able to boot up in a backup OS X and install Chameleon to bring my main OS back to life. I was sweating bullets as it was my perfect build not cloned yet.

Wish I could be more of a help! ;)

I know its frustrating as hell, what pissed me off more is that when I asked here in this thread about 2 months ago if it was safe to update 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 I got reply yeah it is go ahead you might only need to re-install a few kexts.

I didnt update, then when I finally decided few days ago and the system just dies, the same person told me that its fine with Retail Leo under boot 132 method. Well its great but I believe anyone who followed this tutorial since the day it started used Kalyway DVD as it is used in Tutorial.

And when the system is canned everybody just disapear without bothering to lay a simple help with terminal commands.

Im happy Bol helped but Im still waiting for his reply here.

I just need to delete kext from terminal thats all.

hello all. i have a question:

my hackintosh osx system runs beautifully thanks to weaksauce's boot132 method. the only problem i'm facing now is rather silly; how do i make my computer multiregion to watch dvds.

you know how it is when you put a dvd, osx asks for a region for you to pick, and then you are on a countdown for how many changes you have left. is there i was i can trick that software wise?

this is the dvd drive i have: Lite-on ATAPI iHAS120 6 (i think this is the model number)

can someone please point me where i should be looking for this info if its not here?

thanks good people. cheers!

Thanks for the update for 10.5.6 - i was getting several kernel panics on my UD3P a week, but since using the new package (just installed right over the original) i have had none in over a week. I appreciate the work you have put into this weaksauce.

-shawn

Thanks for the update for 10.5.6 - i was getting several kernel panics on my UD3P a week, but since using the new package (just installed right over the original) i have had none in over a week. I appreciate the work you have put into this weaksauce.

-shawn

Yah VoodooPower was causing the KP's, just a simple kext upgrade to OpenHaltRestart fixed it. May go back to VoodooPower later after I play with the settings, but for now this is stable.

Just got a MicroATX board - Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L ($52.99 on Newegg). Works great! Just add USB audio ($7.99) and it's fabulous! Time to finish the guides - UD3P, DS3L, ES2L, wheee :(

Hi,

I've got Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 1.1 and tried to apply weaksauce12's solution, unfortunatelly without a success :unsure: I know that this tutorial is for Rev 2.0 but does anyone have working Mac OS X 10.5 on 1.1 ? Now, after installation I see Apple's logo and loading animation for hours on end :/

Thanks for any helpful hint .

Hi,

I've got Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev 1.1 and tried to apply weaksauce12's solution, unfortunatelly without a success :unsure: I know that this tutorial is for Rev 2.0 but does anyone have working Mac OS X 10.5 on 1.1 ? Now, after installation I see Apple's logo and loading animation for hours on end :/

Thanks for any helpful hint .

Boot up with the -v flag (verbose) and see where it's dying. If it's a kext causing the problem and not something higher level, boot up with the either the -s (single user mode, command line only) or the -x flag next time (safe mode) and fix the problem. Chances are if its something common you can search for the error message shown when you booted in verbose mode and find a resolution somewhere.

Hi, i've installed the 10.5.2 then upgrade to 10.5.3 then 10.5.4 using the weaksauce guide but after installed all the kext, reboot , it wont load. reboot with -v it said waiting for root device. reboot again disabled the ahci, same result

please help, board ga-ep45-ud3lr

thanks

Yah VoodooPower was causing the KP's, just a simple kext upgrade to OpenHaltRestart fixed it. May go back to VoodooPower later after I play with the settings, but for now this is stable.

Just got a MicroATX board - Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L ($52.99 on Newegg). Works great! Just add USB audio ($7.99) and it's fabulous! Time to finish the guides - UD3P, DS3L, ES2L, wheee :)

Experienced the same when overclocked (8x400) with Voodoo Power, and went to Open Halt too a few weeks ago. Now here's the interesting part. Somehow I'm running at 3.6 (9 x 400(?)) with Chameleon 2, at least according to Intel's MacCPUID which can report real time. netkas' utility shows 3.2 (8 x 400(?)) as does everything else which relies on my tweaked SMBIOS. Temps are in the upper twenties for most cores under light load. I've identical multiple installations on identical multiple drives. Earlier Chameleon did 3.2 by all measurements. UEFI does 3.2 (9 x 355) by all measurements. Chameleon 2 does 3.6? Windows does 3.2 (8 x 400).

Weaksauce, we both have the Q/U, (Q6600, UD3P), though I note you are only overclocked to 3.0. My Q has a low VID and goes to 3.2 (8 x 400 or 9 x 355) without changing anything but the fsb, so I haven't bothered to effort 3.6. Well, actually I tried for a day, but had to up the voltage significantly and it was problematic to stabilize. I think MacCPUID is reporting correctly as all intense programs and load testing run signficantly quicker. Somehow Leopard is pulling off what I haven't gotten stable in Windows. Only difference in our setups is sound (I use the Thai kexts I sent to you for your consideration which are stable and load without error), and LAN, (I use the Realtek drivers since I need both ports, and it's just like a MacPro - one to a router, the other to another Hack for work load distribution/sharing).

You might want to try these settings and see if you can run 3.6 now that you are not running Voodoo Power? It is way faster then 3.0 or 3.2.

p.s. Sleep is an issue for me now. Experiencing a "stuttering" attempt to wake from sleep which fails. (Our bios settings do differ in that you have "soft" set where I have "always on"). How's sleep for you without the Voodoo Power kext?

Boot up with the -v flag (verbose) and see where it's dying. If it's a kext causing the problem and not something higher level, boot up with the either the -s (single user mode, command line only) or the -x flag next time (safe mode) and fix the problem. Chances are if its something common you can search for the error message shown when you booted in verbose mode and find a resolution somewhere.

Thank you Bol.

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -L -N -e

was the solution :)

Now I can confirm, that rev. 1.1 also works !

Edit:

It wasn't the solution as I thought before. To run Leopard I do such steps:

1. -s -v

2. exit

and then everything works properly. Without it system hangs out during loading.

Before boot I've got such 2 options:

1. hdd(0,1)

2. hdd(0,2)

Option 1 is unknown OS, and the second one is Leopard.

Any idea how to fix boot process to skip single user mode?

Does Mac OS has some boot loader such as GRUB or LILO? Where can I find it's configuration file?

I've tried to apply Comboupdate 10.5.3 + kernel patch but next boot crashes and "-s -v" method no longer works for me and I can't use "update -v" :(

Thanks for help !

quick question for those using iStat Menus,

Love this program but i can't get CPU temperature readings. Under the temperature tab, all i see is the S.M.A.R.T HDD and that's it. Anyone know of what Bios settings i need to change to be able to get temp readings of my CPU? I've used temperature monitor in the past but i''d preferably just use iStat. (I do know that temperature monitor installs some kind of intel temp addon or something)

btw... Boot132 + Weaksauce = :thumbsup_anim:

Installed 10.5.7 , no problems by now (I've only repatched repatched HDA), Nvidia issue with quicktime solved ;) (no more mouse pointer stuck) and graphic also improved with my Nvidia 8800gt (no more random flickering, running smooth)

Installation with Chameleon and mandatory kexts in /Extra