[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Hi, Firestorm. I was planning to buy a GTX 275 too. Did you manage to get it work? If so, how did you do it?
I followed this guide almost exactly. Only difference is before I used UInstaller, I dowloaded OSX86Tools, Plist Edit Pro and followed this exactly:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1178921

It might not make sense now, but it does when you have the program in front of you.

After that, install the EVGA GTX drivers. Then use UInstall like weaksauce says. Only difference is to not patch the video with it as you've already done it. I also didn't check the Time Machine fix because weaksauce said in his guide you have to do video and that together, which I didn't do.

After this, Reboot. Might take a while to reboot the first two times for some reason, but it became fine after that.

After restarting I used the Chameleon 2.0 installer to install Chameleon so I could dual boot with a nice GUI on two seperate HDDs =)

Thanks a lot. The method described by Kasakka in the linked post, is it NVCap Edit? Cause I was told it's the only way to have an MSI GTX 275 Lightning working, because of its non-standard outputs and memory, I presume: VGA-DVI and HDMI with 1792MB of memory.

After restarting I used the Chameleon 2.0 installer to install Chameleon so I could dual boot with a nice GUI on two seperate HDDs =)

Please excuse me if this has been asked a bunch of times and I missed it, but since I'm relatively inexperienced I just wanted to get an official word. What's the best way to dual-boot? I have two 640 WD, that I'm planning to run each respective OS on and two samsung F1's for scratch and backup. I already got 10.5.7 working on one HD with weaksauce's boot-132 method on the wiki. Should I go the chameleon route as mentioned above? Or Remove the OSX HD and put in a different HD and install windows, then put OSX back in and use the Drive selector I think my Gigabyte Ud3p mobo has? And what would be best to dualboot with, Vista or 7?

Sorry for all the questions, but since I'm not too savvy with the whole hackintosh troubleshooting scene yet, I'm just looking for the best way to have the least problems.

I would recommend doing this:

1) Remove all HDDs except the one you're installing OSX to

2) Finish Hackintosh setup as per weaksauce's guide

3) Download and install Chameleon RC2 using their installer

4) Remove all HDDs except the one you're installing Windows 7 to

5) Finish Windows 7 setup

6) Put all HDDs back in

6) When booting you should get the Chameleon 2.0 screen. If it boots into Windows, it means the HDD that boots is set to the wrong order. Reboot, go into BIOS, set the boot order so the other Western Digital HDD is first (the Mac OS one)

That's the setup I did.

Don't have the HDD you want Windows on while you install Mac OSX and vice versa. It can cause issues from what I heard.

1. Plug:

• Optical drive to Sata 0

• OS X HDD to Sata 1

• Windows HDD to Sata 2

They should appear in the right order without doing anything else.

2. Before installing OS X, create a dedicated partition for system files (OS X and apps), in order to avoid their fragmentation with large datas like videos. The first partition will be the fastest. You may need to let enough free space for music if you want iTunes to manage your library, since it only works on the startup partition.

3. Install OS X, then Chameleon from installer, on the same partition/drive. You're done.

1....You may need to let enough free space for music if you want iTunes to manage your library, since it only works on the startup partition.

Actually you can have the iTunes library on a separate drive or partition. Just need to point iTunes to it.

2. Before installing OS X, create a dedicated partition for system files (OS X and apps), in order to avoid their fragmentation with large datas like videos. The first partition will be the fastest. You may need to let enough free space for music if you want iTunes to manage your library, since it only works on the startup partition.

I was planning to use each 640 WD for solely their respective OS. I was gonna use one of the samsung 1TB for backing up OSX and anything I might need to in windows and the other for music/video/scratch. That would work, wouldn't it? I don't want to have to use multiple partitions if I don't have to.

Thanks for the help also firestorm, that method seems like it would be the best.

About Chameleon RC2, do I need to do anything else after installing it before I start the whole process? I went to the Cham website and read some of the comments and a bunch of people are having various problems. Should I be wary of something or are they mostly just idiots?

p.s. should I briefly plug in a scratch drive and make a backup of my working osx before the chameleon/win 7 process?

About Chameleon RC2, do I need to do anything else after installing it before I start the whole process? I went to the Cham website and read some of the comments and a bunch of people are having various problems. Should I be wary of something or are they mostly just idiots?

p.s. should I briefly plug in a scratch drive and make a backup of my working osx before the chameleon/win 7 process?

I just installed it and had absolutely no issues.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the last question, thanks for all the help. So I installed 7, seemed fine, and plugged in the Mac HD, the win hd and one scratch drive. I use chameleon and boot up in OSX. Upon booting in OSX I get the error message "disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" and the scratch drive didn't show up on the desktop, so I'm assuming that that's the non-readable disk. Is this just because I didn't format it yet? If so, what should I format it to to be able to move/access files to/from both my mac and win OS? If that's not the reason, is the harddrive bad?

Thanks again, this has gone much more smoothly then I imagined it would because of it.

edit: if it is the format issue, it seems the best way around it would be to split it into two partitions, one 640GB for backups in HFS+ and the rest in NTFS and use MacFuse. Is there anything better?

Used this guide a year ago and I've still yet to upgrade from 10.5.4. Anyone have a clear guide to upgrade to Snow Leopard with our configs? I also saw the guide in the 10.6 section, but looks kinda complex. This one was so easy to follow! :)

So apparently we need a new DSDT file for Snow Leopard, has anyone done this? I'm getting my copy of SL any day now and I'm really eager to do a serious installation (still on Kalyway-made-vanilla 10.5.5).

I have Snow Leopard running on my ga-p35-ds3l with an Nvidia 7300 gt. Works perfect. 2 days now and no kernel panics! You will need to build a new DSDT file but it is easy.

greythorne,

yes, it works fine but you need to fix your dsdt.aml so it doesn't reset cmos every time.

Also i would stick with pcefi v9 v10 seems to give me more kps.

Haterade,

thanks for the reply.

do you happen to have a step by step guide so that i may follow it to install?

also when you say dsdt.aml needed to be fixed, this i got to do in the existing leopard 10.5 installation right?

thanks once again.

regards

I have Snow Leopard running on my ga-p35-ds3l with an Nvidia 7300 gt. Works perfect. 2 days now and no kernel panics! You will need to build a new DSDT file but it is easy.

Ok, how does that work? Care to share that file with the rest of us? :D

Did you use Universal Installer with the old DS3L plugin?