[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Hi guys, (on the UD3P package) I'm having some shut down problems. Sometimes after I click "Shut Down," the computer will clear the desktop as if it's about to shut down, but then it just hangs there. I left it on overnight to see if it would shut down, but it never did. Sometimes it shuts down fine, sometimes this. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi guys, (on the UD3P package) I'm having some shut down problems. Sometimes after I click "Shut Down," the computer will clear the desktop as if it's about to shut down, but then it just hangs there. I left it on overnight to see if it would shut down, but it never did. Sometimes it shuts down fine, sometimes this. Any ideas? Thanks!

This was common with one of my old ECS mobo's had to use the power button to do all shut downs...

I did a quick test on 10.5.7 ... No luck.. got a few kernal panic's

Will try again this weekend..

Weaksauce,

I am not a blogger/twitterer so i though i would leave a few comments here.

1) on your wiki with the video cards you listed as regarding having to have a helper card to get up and running (ATI cards for example), i use a simpler method. the card i have (sapphire 3870) does not work past 10.5.0 as you mentioned. but instead of "bootstrapping" with another video card, i simply boot into safe mode via -x and install the package which works out fine. safe mode gives vesa resolutions just fine.

2) i had a strange situation with gfxutil used via uinstaller - it could be a one off, but thought i would mention it. i kept getting the permission error (126) and couldn't solve it via going down the traditional paths (check for corrupt un-zipping, run from desktop, etc.). i ended up noticing that gfxutil in my /bin/ had incorrect permissions on it and after setting those (to a lazy 755) the video card component of uinstaller worked. i have never seen that and haven't found it on search so i thought i would mention it.

thanks again for your hard work and 10.5.7 package release.

shawn

Has anyone tried the Chameleon 2.0RC1 bootloader with this? It looks good (http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/chameleon-20rc1-is-out) but I'm not sure whether I'll break my hackintosh trying to install it!

One more question - does anyone know how to go about installing AHCI support in Windows XP? Currently I've set up the BIOS to AHCI mode for OS X (as per weaksuace12's guide), but every time I want to boot windows (which is on a second hdd) I have to switch sata AHCI off in the bios to get it to boot. Which should I be trying to do - getting AHCI to work in both OS X and Windows XP, or trying to run both without AHCI?

Thanks,

Xp and AHCI is probably not worth the extra effort.

Why not just download the Windows 7 RC1?

In other news, do not try to install SL on the same HD as your current Leopard OS...

PCEFI9 and Chameleon conflicted and cause all sorts of problems.

Also 8800GT mouse problems need to get the updated Disabler kext from Stellarola (google).

The 8800GT may need a package of its own for uinstaller....

Keep working hard Weaksauce.

Ok thanks, so does the Windows 7 RC1 have AHCI support built-in?

Did a fresh install to 10.5.7 and got it working nicely, however I've lost the ability to eject disks with F12 for some reason, and sometimes I can't eject CDs (I get an error claiming it is still in use, even with no apps running etc. - eventually finder / disk utility crash and I have to cold-boot to get things back to normal). Any pointers on how to set up the eject key again (F12 or equivalent)?

Thanks weaksauce12 for the releases!

Windows 7 and even Vista can natively support AHCI.

Never heard of a cd not ejecting. Usually right click eject does the trick for me.

Try deleting whatever program is causing the problem with Appzapper, then delete from trash and try to eject.

If it's not a program, try reinstalling the efi package in uinstaller... and if that doesn't work reformat the drive.

Make sure you have the latest package from weaksauces wiki.

and for good measure reboot with -f to force rebuid cache.

• 3 weeks later...
Weaksauce,

I am not a blogger/twitterer so i though i would leave a few comments here.

1) on your wiki with the video cards you listed as regarding having to have a helper card to get up and running (ATI cards for example), i use a simpler method. the card i have (sapphire 3870) does not work past 10.5.0 as you mentioned. but instead of "bootstrapping" with another video card, i simply boot into safe mode via -x and install the package which works out fine. safe mode gives vesa resolutions just fine.

2) i had a strange situation with gfxutil used via uinstaller - it could be a one off, but thought i would mention it. i kept getting the permission error (126) and couldn't solve it via going down the traditional paths (check for corrupt un-zipping, run from desktop, etc.). i ended up noticing that gfxutil in my /bin/ had incorrect permissions on it and after setting those (to a lazy 755) the video card component of uinstaller worked. i have never seen that and haven't found it on search so i thought i would mention it.

thanks again for your hard work and 10.5.7 package release.

shawn

Hmm...I have a Sapphire 3870 and mine won't boot with -x, all I get is gobbly-gook on the screen. Do you have the same model I do? Some of my ATI cards boot, some don't - my 2600XT & 3870 need a helper card, but my X1900XT boots just fine on its own.

Odd, haven't heard of that problem with gfxutil. Did you originally do a fresh install from disc, or did you use the HDD-install method? Installing drivers from one HDD to another can cause permissions issues sometimes...

To everyone else, I'll have a few new threads up later this month for 10.5.7 for the ES2L, DS3L, and UD3P boards. The guides have been on the wiki for awhile, but I've been out of town on business most of the summer and haven't gotten around to posting individual threads for them yet. I'm not planning on going with a Core i7 system anytime soon, so please don't ask. I've slowly been adding new articles to the Wiki; as I finish individual sections, I'll post them on my blog as updates.

Your other topic is gone =( I think they might have deleted it for linking off-board. I'd like to ask you a question before I order my computer: Do you plan on writing an update after Snow Leopard is released to get people who use your guide now up and running on 64-Bit Snow Leo? I don't mean right away, I expect it will take a few months for people to get things stable on a 64-bit OS, but would that be within the scope of the wiki?

The guide has an amazing wealth of information and I'm finally confident enough to start building! I just don't want to be left in the cold when the new shiny OS comes out.

Also, would I be able to configure Chameleon to boot into Windows or Mac OSX (different HDDs) somewhere along this tutorial? I notice that PC_EFIv9 comes during the drivers stage, but will I need to do something before/afterwards to get this set up?

Thank you very much for your help. The wiki + Auzigog's Hackintosh 2.0 guide which sources you have been an immense help in getting me to make sense of all this.

Your other topic is gone =( I think they might have deleted it for linking off-board. I'd like to ask you a question before I order my computer: Do you plan on writing an update after Snow Leopard is released to get people who use your guide now up and running on 64-Bit Snow Leo? I don't mean right away, I expect it will take a few months for people to get things stable on a 64-bit OS, but would that be within the scope of the wiki?

The guide has an amazing wealth of information and I'm finally confident enough to start building! I just don't want to be left in the cold when the new shiny OS comes out.

Also, would I be able to configure Chameleon to boot into Windows or Mac OSX (different HDDs) somewhere along this tutorial? I notice that PC_EFIv9 comes during the drivers stage, but will I need to do something before/afterwards to get this set up?

Thank you very much for your help. The wiki + Auzigog's Hackintosh 2.0 guide which sources you have been an immense help in getting me to make sense of all this.

Yes, I'll probably update for Snow Leopard, but not on these forums. Everything looks good except Audio & Networking, which you can use with a USB sound card ($10) and a PCI Ethernet card ($10). If they can fix VoodooHDA so that the sound doesn't break on wake-from-sleep, and if they have a 64-bit version, then we'll have Onboard Audio, and if someone ports the R1000 driver to 64-bit, then we'll have Networking.

I don't think I'll be posting any more Guides here on Insanely for a few reasons:

1. Keeping an entire guide in a single post is just too much to read, without the ability to have hyperlinks within the thread itself.

2. It's too hard to edit when I want to make updates because it's so huge.

3. It doesn't make much sense for me to cut-and-paste 9 entire sections from my Wiki into a single post here.

I'm pretty thorough with my guides and try to cover all the bases, so the Wiki approach makes more sense for me. I would post my guides on the OSx86 Wiki, but it's broken or slow half the time - very frustrating to deal with. I wrote out an entire Walkthrough in my UD3P thread especially for InsanelyMac, then linked to the detailed sections of my Wiki for more info, but apparently that didn't fall within the guidelines for Guides on this board. Since I don't run these forums, I'll respectfully adhere to their rules for posting guides. When I figure out where I'll be posting in the future, I'll post a note on my blog. Nothing against the Genius Bar here, it just doesn't fit my style of writing - too much information in my guides to fit in a single post! :P

If you hit a key when PC_EFI v9 boots, you can see your hard drives and choose which to boot from. Chameleon 2.0 lets you have a GUI to select drives from, but is currently in beta and is a bit buggy. When it comes out of beta, I'll update my guides. It's a really neat bootloader!

Hm, I'll stick with the standard install and worry about the smecksy looking dual boot screen with Chameleon 2.0 afterwards. I'll have to reinstall for Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Retail anyway. I'll bookmark your wiki as well. Thank again!

Once I fully get the nerve up to buy the parts, I'll update with how it goes for a gaming build including using a GTX 275.

Hmm...I have a Sapphire 3870 and mine won't boot with -x, all I get is gobbly-gook on the screen. Do you have the same model I do? Some of my ATI cards boot, some don't - my 2600XT & 3870 need a helper card, but my X1900XT boots just fine on its own.

Odd, haven't heard of that problem with gfxutil. Did you originally do a fresh install from disc, or did you use the HDD-install method? Installing drivers from one HDD to another can cause permissions issues sometimes...

To everyone else, I'll have a few new threads up later this month for 10.5.7 for the ES2L, DS3L, and UD3P boards. The guides have been on the wiki for awhile, but I've been out of town on business most of the summer and haven't gotten around to posting individual threads for them yet. I'm not planning on going with a Core i7 system anytime soon, so please don't ask. I've slowly been adding new articles to the Wiki; as I finish individual sections, I'll post them on my blog as updates.

This is the exact card i have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102719

gfxutil could have been a fluke. yes it was fresh dvd install. took me a bit to figure out why UInstaller was failing on that part.

-shawn

• 2 weeks later...

I was having a lot of system preferences problems right after I create some new users on my HacMac. I could not launh system preferences. I got the report error screen, sometimes the shutdown screen.

I was about to recover from TimeMachine, but thought it would be a good time to try to upgrade from 10.5.5 to 10.5.7 using the combo update.

It worked fine and fixed my preferences problems too. I removed the additional user profiles and will try again later.

I ran Uinstaller to just make sure everything was ok (Minus all EFI settings). For some reason when I run the EFI for timemachine it was stuck on boot. Maybe its my new USB wireless.??

Anyway. I am running 10.5.7. So far so good.

Also running new wireless USB.

BTW Time Machine has saved my ass a few times. I use a couple of partitions on another drive to make full Backups. Restoring is not very hard.

Hello World,

I am having issues with my external WD My Book 750GB, it runs just fine on my VM with USB passthrough enabled (http://emberapp.com/oskartist/images/windows-7) but does not pop up on my Mac desktop.

Also, if I run Disk Utility on my "Mac" it shows up and I can try to format it but then I get this error: http://emberapp.com/oskartist/images/finder.

I am running a P35-DS3L with the Ethernet Card disabled via BIOS and instead running a D-Link DWA-140 with the corresponding Mac drivers.

If there's anything more you need to know to help me, I am more than happy to answer your questions and hopefully contribute to this wonderful community.

Thanks.

Hello World,

I am having issues with my external WD My Book 750GB, it runs just fine on my VM with USB passthrough enabled (http://emberapp.com/oskartist/images/windows-7) but does not pop up on my Mac desktop.

This is an issue that many WD My Book users have. There might be a firmware upgrade if you check the manufacture's website.. but it will probalby not help. I have two friends that have the same problem on their WD My Book drives. I'll never buy one.

@ Firestorm88:

You'll want to download the Chameleon 2.0 beta. This provides a GUI at boot time for selecting which drive to boot into:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159885

You can simply run the installer on your current drive, right over your bootloader. The easiest way to setup dual-boot is on two separate drives, otherwise it gets messy and complicated (on a single drive). Make sure to set your Hackintosh hard drive first in the boot priority in BIOS! You can tweak the Theme Plist to configure the boot theme to fit your screen as well. If you're running Windows 7, please note that the bootable partition is "System Reserved", not "Windows 7". The System Reserved partition has the Windows 7 bootloader (you can rename it to whatever you want). HTH ;)

Hi weaksauce,

im having the issue of DVD drive being forced ejected when pressing F12 on the keyboard or pressing the eject button on the drive itself. Not sure what is causing this.

Is it because of AHCI or SATA settings in the BIOS?

When this happens i cant push the drive tray in, i will need to shutdown only then i can push it back in.

btw you can see the drive i have in my signature....

Thank you.

@ Firestorm88:

You'll want to download the Chameleon 2.0 beta. This provides a GUI at boot time for selecting which drive to boot into:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=159885

You can simply run the installer on your current drive, right over your bootloader. The easiest way to setup dual-boot is on two separate drives, otherwise it gets messy and complicated (on a single drive). Make sure to set your Hackintosh hard drive first in the boot priority in BIOS! You can tweak the Theme Plist to configure the boot theme to fit your screen as well. If you're running Windows 7, please note that the bootable partition is "System Reserved", not "Windows 7". The System Reserved partition has the Windows 7 bootloader (you can rename it to whatever you want). HTH ;)

Awesome! Thanks again! Getting excited to try all this out =) Just a few more days 'til my things are delivered. I'm just hoping I can get the GTX 275 working. Thankfully I won't absolutely need the Mac side of things until later this year but it would be nice to have everything up and running!

I just got my system and a heads up. I was wondering why my boot screen said "FB" as the BIOS version instead of F# and I found out there's a new revision of the EP45-UD3P now. 1.0 and 1.1 are the ones that use F1 - F9. The new revision I got is 1.6 and it uses FA and the newest BIOS, FB.

Rev 1.0: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2919

Rev 1.1: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=3012

Rev 1.6: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=3137

I saw a message in a topic saying that vanilla osx86 works fine on 1.6. I'll found out for myself tomorrow. Just saying this as it could be confusing for those who see they should be on F8 minimum in your guide.

I patched up to 10.5.8 via software update just for the hell of it.

Two issues i just wanted to share.

Onboard motherboard audio hardware disappeared (reran Uinstaller again just in case). I finally broke down and bought the Syba :^)

Ever since a clean 10.5.7 install and the latest Uinstaller i hadn't had a kernel panic or freeze - several weeks of uptime. Within 8 hours of the 10.5.8 patch i froze up. Not sure if something changed in the power management setup, but just wanted to share the information.

Thanks,

shawn