What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

[...]so i guess somehow you have to install just the kext or something. anybody else have any other experiences? i would not recommending the delta update though

I did. I installed the new graphics drivers only, from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=105802 (it focuses on NVidia but i checked and it contains all the new versions of ATi drivers, included aty_megalodon).

No way. My Sapphire 4870 (9440-1002) was not recognised and OSX booted in vesa mode (no 16/10 resolutions in vesa 3, btw).

Then i added my device ID (0x94401002) to the ATIRadeon2000.kext and, on next boot, i got the black screen mentioned in netkas' site.

I don't think it's possible to get it working out of the box, without at least an injector of some sort. Therefore i don't believe nickhe's got it "fully working"; maybe he thinks it's working just because he sees the desktop but i'm pretty confident that QE/CI and res management are not going to work without an injector.

I would be glad to be proven wrong, tho.

Your second link is not working for me keypox. :)

yeah it seems the closed that thread on how to get 10.5.5 to install... I guess you cannot talk about things that are not released yet. People are claiming that they got theirs working with 10.5.5

Talking on the NVinstaller page:

# keypo Says: August 16th, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Hey does this include the megaladon ATI stuff? Can you make this work with the 4850/4870 cards?

# admin Says: August 16th, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Yes it includes the megaladon framebuffer but no success yet getting a rv770 card to work.

No IF a driver does eventuate out of all of this it will work the same, a HD4870x2 in laymens terms is basically two HD4870's joined together both use the same cores as the HD4870 so I don't see why the drivers would need to be at all different to activate the other core.

No IF a driver does eventuate out of all of this it will work the same, a HD4870x2 in laymens terms is basically two HD4870's joined together both use the same cores as the HD4870 so I don't see why the drivers would need to be at all different to activate the other core.

As far as I am aware, the X2 cards will need proper support in the drivers as the drivers will need to know how to use both cores.

Whether the Mac drivers will ever have that support is anyones guess, you may find that it only sees one core and you end up with a 4870 instead of a 4870x2.

But did I say anything about crossfire?

Even in crossfire it's two seperate cards on one PCB, it just means when you boot into windows for games you can use crossfire even in a Mac Pro which doesn't have crossfire as part of of its motherboard chipset

Quit bickering at eachother and help us figure out this driver for the 4800 series. Its the only thing preventing me from my beloved Mac Pro experience with my other "perfect for osx86" hardware.

I'm not bickering at anyone, I'm just correcting some misinformation. Sadly we're going to have to wait until Apple starts using a 4000 series graphics card in a Mac, I've got no doubt it'll happen eventually but it really is a waiting game

Most PC's are quick enough these days that you don't really miss QE if you don't play games. It's not perfect and I'm not about to say it is but I run my HD4870 through the vesa drivers and can get a decent resolution. I'd like to be able to have proper drives but if you set your display string to "Graphics Mode"="1600x1200" for example it'll boot just fine into OS X and work with a decent resolution.

The only real problem with the vesa drivers is that they don't support 16:10 wide screen resolutions

Hi everybody, i'm new here, I just registered. I search infos about the HD 4870 in a mac for days, I was reading yesterday this topic, and well, after reading it, I was a little bit disapointed, I thought I would have no problem running it on a mac. Well today, I found on a french website ( i'm french ) a news about the HD 4870, 4850 and 4870 X2.

Here is the link : http://www.mac4ever.com/news/38849/ati_pas...870_et_4850_hd/

For those who don't understand french, i'm going to translate :

" The powerfull HD 4870 x2 will NOT be available for mac, answers ATI, after asking them, BUT, 4850 hd & 4870 HD will be available "soon" for mac ".

This a very good news for us, because if they release a mac version, drivers will be available too, so we could finally have a decent reso and QE !

I'm waiting for your comments :D ( I literally jumped in the air, ran in the house and screamed when I red this news :D, very very good news )