OSX86 on Intel P45 chipset?

BiTRiP

818 posts in this topic

Hi,

i also search for new bios for Asus P5Q Deluxe

Thanks

I've modded the latest version, here you go:

http://rapidshare.com/files/164494266/p5q-...ialist.rar.html

Tested it myself, everything worked fine, just finished installing 10.5.5 ! Happy to find that I now got EVERYTHING working: the asus 9600 GT videocard, onboard LAN, onboard sound and SATA, everything works like a charm now !

Hi all,

I stumbled into this discussion about modding the bios... Very cool. I gave it a try, and after some fussing around, it works!

I downloaded the latest bios for the Asus P5Q3, which is 0502. Here is the modded version, with the four Alias commands removed, and the reserved words renamed.

Let me know if you have any prob's.

Cap

p5q3-asus-0502_mod_for_osx_by_DrCap.zip

p5q3_asus_0502_mod_for_osx_by_DrCap.zip

Hi all,

I stumbled into this discussion about modding the bios... Very cool. I gave it a try, and after some fussing around, it works!

I downloaded the latest bios for the Asus P5Q3, which is 0502. Here is the modded version, with the four Alias commands removed, and the reserved words renamed.

Let me know if you have any prob's.

Cap

p5q3-asus-0502_mod_for_osx_by_DrCap.zip

downloaded it, ezflash says "Boot sector invalid" I stopped there. I recommend caution before forcing this rom. I have downloaded the stock rom from asus, but I cannot find the exact sector that I need to manipulate. I have tried iAtkos v4i, iDeneb, Kalyway, and Leo4all, all of them halt at the infamous "still waiting for root device" that has been the bane of the OSX86 project from day one.

latest stock bios for the asus P5Q3. (note that I did not mention "deluxe" on purpose.)P5Q3_ASUS_0502.zip

Thanks everyone for working together on this topic

downloaded it, ezflash says "Boot sector invalid" I stopped there.

Hmmm, That's interesting. I compared my decompiled version with the the decompiled version of the latest mod by Bitrip, and found that they were nearly identical. I assumed that the differences were by design -- all the differences were complete sections of code.

I used the same string substitutions used by Bitrip when modding the 0502 bios. Then I compared the compiler output, and both my mod and Bitrip's produce no errors and 6 warnings.

There is one thing that might be an issue: an earlier post talked about adding the value 2E at the end of the modded sequence when pasting the code back into the Single Link module. Perhaps that value should not be 2E, but a value chosen to yield a specific checksum?

Cool, another project for this evening...

Cap

Thanks for working on it, I might release my own version once I perform the necessary changes, and test them to be working on my rig. Of course, I am willing to test different versions on my mobo (within reason)

couple of questions.. do you have this particular mobo? and do you have leopard working yet?

Hello everyone!!!

I'm SOOOOO Happy!

I finally could run iDeneb v1.3 (Leopard 10.5.5) on my PC!!!

These are my specs.:

mobo ASUS P5QC

processor Intel Core2 Duo E7200 2.53MHz

mem Kingston DDR2 2GB 800MHz

hdd Samsung 320GB 7200rpm 16MB Cache (with 2 partitions for MAC)

hhd2 Samsung 750GB 7200rpm 32MB Cache (with 2 partitions for WinXP)

video XFX Nvidia 8600GT 512MB DDR2

I put my SATA in AHCI, flashed my BIOS from an USB Stick (Thanks BITRIP for the modd!!!), and WORKS!!!

Restart WORKS!

Shutdown WORKS!

Sleep WORKS!

AUDIO WORKS! (I installed the p45audio.zip, that contains 2 packages... i installed both)

LAN NO (it seems that there's no drivers available yet for mi lan onboard, so i will go with a PCI ethernet compatible)

Just 2 questions:

1) Can I get Dual Boot this way???

I realized that if i installed XP before change the AHCI mode, i have the possibility to dual boot

2) Is SATA in AHCI mode bad when i'm in windows????

NO if I were intalled Windows under this mode.

THANKS AGAIN!!! :(:):D

Thanks for working on it, I might release my own version once I perform the necessary changes, and test them to be working on my rig.

Hey, when you get your own version... Do a file-compare against mine, and see if there's a difference...I can't see where I made an error. So, I think the 2E terminator may be the issue. I've just finished reading another 64-page thread about DSDT bios modding, and there is at least one other person who mentioned something similar.

couple of questions.. do you have this particular mobo? and do you have leopard working yet?

I ordered the P5Q3 from Mwave, but don't have it yet. I'm planning to install Vista first, and then worry about Leopard after I have a stable box.

Cap

It is a very nice board, if it just played nicer with apple, like I hoped it would. I have vista x64 on there now with a Q6600, has given me zero problems doing anything it was designed to do :thumbsup_anim:

Like I said, I cant really confirm that your bios is bad... it might work swell, but when I tried it with ezflash, it would not accept it due to some error on the boot sector. I may just flash it anyway with a utility in windows if I am feeling like living dangerously. ;)

downloaded it, ezflash says "Boot sector invalid" I stopped there. I recommend caution before forcing this rom.

I used the same string substitutions used by Bitrip when modding the 0502 bios. Then I compared the compiler output, and both my mod and Bitrip's produce no errors and 6 warnings.

Compare your Module ID 0x80 with BiTRiP's.

There is one thing that might be an issue: an earlier post talked about adding the value 2E at the end of the modded sequence when pasting the code back into the Single Link module. Perhaps that value should not be 2E, but a value chosen to yield a specific checksum?

I think 2E is correct. Also, double-check that your new Single Link module file that you use to replace that module in the ROM is the exact byte size as the original that was extracted.

I think 2E is correct. Also, double-check that your new Single Link module file that you use to replace that module in the ROM is the exact byte size as the original that was extracted.

The Asus bios and Dr.Cap's are both 1,048,576 bytes exactly, this prompts me to do SCIENCE, hold on folks, I am going to do something reckless. Wish me luck folks...

EDIT: No such luck folks, ezflash still gives me a screaming red "BOOT BLOCK ON FILE IS NOT VALID" and for some reason asus's flash utility keeps saying that my bios does not support AFU, and quits. WTF??

Have a working Hackintosh with Sleep, Restart and Shutdown.

GA P45 DS3R

E8400

ASUS 2600XT 256MB

Disk0 - Seagate 200GB IDE (OSX)

Disk1 - WD 640GB SATA (WINXP) (AHCI disabled)

DVDRW - LiteON SATA

Used Kalyway 10.5.2

Used customize option to select Radeon X2000 option.

Everything work OOTB except sound.

I see a lot of success with ALC889A but I have trouble with that. If I can get this working without an USB audio stick, it would be awesome.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

EDIT: No such luck folks, ezflash still gives me a screaming red "BOOT BLOCK ON FILE IS NOT VALID" and for some reason asus's flash utility keeps saying that my bios does not support AFU, and quits. WTF??

Guys, I had the same thing at first too, when I was trying to create the BIOS mod for the P5Q deluxe, I posted before. I then compared the BIOSES and saw that the first 16 bytes of the modded BIOS were changed from the string 'ASUSTEK' to FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. It was pretty obvious to me that MMTOOL had f*cked it up (I was using the 3.12 version). Then, I downloaded a new version: MMTOOL_3.22_1B_21Fix-BKMOD.EXE, I fixed up the modded BIOS again with this tool, checked it, saw that the first 16 bytes now were ok, flashed it and I'm now running 10.5.5 :)

So don't use version 3.12, but use the latest version, I'm sure it will fix your problem (and be happy the flash tool didn't flash your bios, you'd be sitting with a dead board now :) )

Compare your Module ID 0x80 with BiTRiP's.

Yep, the 2E is correct, it marks the end of the block, so keep it there !!

BTW, I also wanted to add, that the bios modding guide wasn't clear at one point for me: it said you had to remove ALL the occurences of the 'ALIAS' string. That's not correct. You should only remove them for the CPU (in my bios, the 'ALIAS' statement was used lateron as well, like this: Alias (PRSA, PRSB). These have to stay in !

Good luck modding and enjoy !

Guys, I had the same thing at first too, when I was trying to create the BIOS mod for the P5Q deluxe, I posted before. I then compared the BIOSES and saw that the first 16 bytes of the modded BIOS were changed from the string 'ASUSTEK' to FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. It was pretty obvious to me that MMTOOL had f*cked it up (I was using the 3.12 version). Then, I downloaded a new version: MMTOOL_3.22_1B_21Fix-BKMOD.EXE, I fixed up the modded BIOS again with this tool, checked it, saw that the first 16 bytes now were ok, flashed it and I'm now running 10.5.5 :D !

I'll try the new MMTool. Thanks for the info. But, I don't see any big differences like the one you mention. Still head-scratching. :unsure:

BTW, I spent last evening reading 100 pages of bios modding and Chameleon

threads. And it seems that Chameleon is the way to go for those of us who haven't yet figured out the bios mod. Now, if only the DSDT Patcher would work under Windows! I need to buy a Mac in order to make a Hac! :D

Guys, I had the same thing at first too, when I was trying to create the BIOS mod for the P5Q deluxe, I posted before. I then compared the BIOSES and saw that the first 16 bytes of the modded BIOS were changed from the string 'ASUSTEK' to FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

I didn't understand your comment above: you are absolutely correct that the MMTool corrupted the replacement of the Single Link module into the final ROM. I have corrected it, and I am now confident, er semi-sure, that this mod of the Asus P5Q3 0502 bios will at least load into the flash utility.

Thanks again, :thumbsup_anim: Cap

p5q3_asus_0502_mod2_for_osx_by_drcap.zip

I didn't understand your comment above: you are absolutely correct that the MMTool corrupted the replacement of the Single Link module into the final ROM. I have corrected it, and I am now confident, er semi-sure, that this mod of the Asus P5Q3 0502 bios will at least load into the flash utility.

Thanks again, :thumbsup_anim: Cap

Good job, this Bios was accepted by ezflash and seems perfectly stable, however, there is still a distinct lack of a sexy party between leopard and vista on this computer. :(

Damn apple and their vague error messages... how the {censored} is "waiting for root device" supposed to help anyone diagnose the problem.

Good job, this Bios was accepted by ezflash and seems perfectly stable, however, there is still a distinct lack of a sexy party between leopard and vista on this computer.

Hey that's great!

Maybe we can get someone with a working Mac to run fassl's DSDT Patcher on the 0502 ROM. From what I have been reading, here, the latest version of the DSDT Patcher might fix your problem, along with others we haven't discussed in this thread, such as the power management problem.

The Asus P5Q3 .dsl file that I extracted is attached. I would appreciate it if some generous soul would apply the patcher to the .dsl file, and post it back here. I'd do it myself, but it won't run on my Windows system.

TIA, Cap

0502asus.zip

Damn apple and their vague error messages... how the {censored} is "waiting for root device" supposed to help anyone diagnose the problem.

And that is also an error I had with my p5q deluxe ;) It was caused by the fact that I was trying to install Ideneb from an IDE DVD drive. However, the IDE controller on the P5Q series is not recognized by the Kalyway or IDeneb installer, hence, you will get that error when you'll try to install from an IDE drive (btw, I'd recommened IDeneb v1.3, worked perfectly for me and you'll directly be on the latest Leopard, 10.5.5)

Solution for me was to install (IDeneb v1.3 10.5.5) from an external USB DVD drive. BTW, also make sure you've got your SATA configured as AHCI in your BIOS. Last remark: after you've installed 10.5.5, you can install the IDE controller, so you can use the DVD drive. Every onboard chip on the P5Q series works under OSX now, so the P5Q series seems like an ideal board for Hackintosh to me. After a few days of running 10.5.5, it seems very stable and I have solved the few issues I had. Only 1 thing is left and that is that some 3d applications crash, but I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the P5Q, but with the 9600GT video driver I'm using.

Does anyone else with the P5Q-E have shutdown/reboot problems? Sometimes it will shutdown but the power wont cut off. I was wondering which ACPIPlatform kext/kernel people are using?

If you mean that it hangs while shutting down: yeah i have that too on my P5Q-deluxe. 'Solution' for me is to chose 'restart' instead of 'shutdown' and then when it is at the BIOS screen again, just shut it down manually, since 'restart' always works somehow, it's just 'shutdown' that doesn't.