Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Hello Again,

Update on my previous post. I now have the iAKTOS 2.0i (10.5.2) installed on my dell precision 360. I'm now successfully booting from the hard disk as a result of using the bootzip script (Darwin Boot - MBR). OK everything is stable and working as expected.

I tried the 1.4b patch again and am getting the same panic failure response as before. The boot process fails reporting

"unable to find driver for this platform:

/"ACPI/".\n"@/Volumes/disk1s2/Leo_xnu-1228/iokit/Kernal/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1405"

It looks like the Darwin Boot Process has an error recovery path to disk1s2 which perhaps existed in the script creation environment but not on my system.

So if I have to restore the 10.5.2 ACPI driver as Mysticus suggested after the update but I can't access the system because it won't boot is there a way to access the file system using a live boot cd of some kind? Also exactly what is the name of the file I'm trying to restore?

Edit: I was hoping I could use a linux live cd but it looks like linux can't write to journaled hfs+ file systems. Yikes! Now what? I guess it's back to booting the terminal up using the install dvd and using the command line system.

Edit 2: OK, using the terminal from the installation dvd I copied all the ACPI files and directories from the backupkexts folder to the system/library/extensions folder. Then I went over to the disk utilities and ran the repair permissions command. The repair permissions reported that many files were modified (none of them ACPI related) and could not be repaired. Don't know what that means? Anyway I rebooted and received the same panic error.

I think there is something wrong with the update script as it relates to my system configuration. Maybe this update won't work on iATKOS 2.0i installations.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Hello,

So I got this patch installed successfully but the problem is my USB issue is still full affect and I cant find a solution anywhere.

I did just try the lingom solutions but it just does not start the 3 kext that I need to start it will only load one or two.

I dont know what to do I have installed the system probably about 30 times and I dont feel like doing it anymore I just need a real USB solution because I am about to get rid of my laptop.

Maybe someone can help me here:

1) I have an ASUS P5B with a Realtek 8187 wireless

2) I installed osx86 with the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD and my wireless was working

3) I used the update 1.4a to upgrade my machine, rebooted, and everything worked great including my wireless using the Realtek USB WLAN Client Uility

4) Rebooted it again and now the Realtek USB WLAN Client Uility just bounces up and down and I cant get my wireless to work anymore.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get his to work again?

*EDIT*

I started from scratch again

1) Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD with all the appropriate drivers

2) Booted 10.5.2 everything worked

3) Installed update1.4b, booted everything worked

4) Installed Canon/Brother print drivers from apple.com, now Realtek USB WLAN Client Uility not working again

Any ideas?

Same ps2 doesn't work. My test system is broken after trying to apply ps2 fix and reboot, i get to the F8 prompt and no matter what I type the system just instantly goes back to prompt.

It seems like these update packages cause endless troubles :( I think the only way to run a hackintosh is from virgin installs of new releases with the latest apple updates already included....

Tested on ASROCK 775i945GZ with E2180 core duo processor. Works perfect. iAtkos v 2.0 installed previously.

Just used default install.

I tried using the 9.3 vanilla kernel but did not work; system would just reboot immediately after bootloader.

Question: is x11 supposed to work? Because it does not work on my system. (crashes immediately)

I re-installed Kalyway 10.5.2 . Then used the Kalyway combo updater and the kernel updater.

Worked perfectly!

If you use Kalyway, save yourself trouble and stick with Kalyway updaters!

Also, NVKush seems to work much better on my system than NVInstaller -- system responds faster

I've installed this into my running system (iATKOS 2.0) and there was that crash with that message "You must restart your computer..." find the installation log attached.

Than, I've tried a clean installation of iATKOS 2.0, boot the new clean installation and applied the update... it worked... BUT I don't have neither my keyboard nor my trackpad working!!! :P

So, let's see if we can get a solution for this now...

Installer_Log_29_Jun_2008.txt

I've installed this into my running system (iATKOS 2.0) and there was that crash with that message "You must restart your computer..." find the installation log attached.

Than, I've tried a clean installation of iATKOS 2.0, boot the new clean installation and applied the update... it worked... BUT I don't have neither my keyboard nor my trackpad working!!! :wallbash:

So, let's see if we can get a solution for this now...

Try the Kalyway combo updater and the Kalyway kernel updater. Seems to work well for most people.

Try the Kalyway combo updater and the Kalyway kernel updater. Seems to work well for most people.

I have got iATKOS 2.0i installed successfully (see my blog).... :D and have successfully updated it to 10.5.3 using Mysticus C*'s v1.4b Updater..... :P apart that is from SUIDs re-appearing on Repairing Permissions..... :) I will wait for Mysticus C*'s return to sort this out..... :P

i also thought i succesfully updated to 10.5.3 using this package (1.4a). Now i find some problemen. When i start an application and try to open a file, it's stars hanging.

I can force quit it, can't start activity monitor en can't reboot/ shutdown. The only way to really quit the application is to hard reset.

If you repair the premissions and application cache it works again. But if you install new software the problem reappears.

It seems to me like a persmisson problem somewere.

this combo-update does not work for me. while installing it says that it needs less than one minute to go. but after 30 minutes it already says that it needs less than one minute to go. i guess the system hung up.

after quit force the installer and restart the system, my keyboard was not working anymore. :(

this combo-update does not work for me. while installing it says that it needs less than one minute to go. but after 30 minutes it already says that it needs less than one minute to go. i guess the system hung up.after quit force the installer and restart the system, my keyboard was not working anymore. :)
Try running the v1.4b Installer again but before clicking on Installer Install, make a note of your "Customize" choices and click on Window in top Installer menu bar and then Installer Log. In Installer Log choose "Show Errors and Progress" and before clicking on Installer Restart, save the installer log to USB memory stick or to a non-OS X volume for later examination and posting to forum.... :)
i also thought i succesfully updated to 10.5.3 using this package (1.4a). Now i find some problemen. When i start an application and try to open a file, it's stars hanging. I can force quit it, can't start activity monitor en can't reboot/ shutdown. The only way to really quit the application is to hard reset.If you repair the premissions and application cache it works again. But if you install new software the problem reappears.It seems to me like a persmisson problem somewere.
Try running v1.4b of the Updater..... :)

Does anyone know if and how this update (1.4b) modifies the boot loader. My system uses the darwin mbr boot loader but after the update the boot loader startup screen looks completely different.

I would assume that it is using the Darwin EFI bootloader.... Did your original system use the X86 Darwin (Non-EFI) bootloader...?

the "keyboard nor trackpad working" are NOT limited to this updater, I experienced that with both JaS and the Kalyway 10.5.3 updaters, too, so it has to do with the combo update itself, having some incompatibility with our systems. None of all the many tips & hints in this great forum about solving this helped, however ..

So following s.b. advice, I did a fresh install of Kalyway 10.5.1, booted, installed Kalyway 10.5.3, booted again --> fine. Maybe I could also have taken Mystius C*'s updater, who knows ..

the "keyboard nor trackpad working" are NOT limited to this updater, I experienced that with both JaS and the Kalyway 10.5.3 updaters, too, so it has to do with the combo update itself, having some incompatibility with our systems. None of all the many tips & hints in this great forum about solving this helped, however ..

So following s.b. advice, I did a fresh install of Kalyway 10.5.1, booted, installed Kalyway 10.5.3, booted again --> fine. Maybe I could also have taken Mystius C*'s updater, who knows ..

Strange. I had no problems with the Kalyway Combo 10.5.3 updater, this updater broke my keyboard.

Here are my results:

1.3 works

1.4a had that terminal app problem

1.4b would always freeze 3/4 of the way through the install

System:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU

8 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM

P5N32-E SLI Plus Motherboard

i m writing this from far far away from home...

people who ae experiencing the keyboard mouse issue are using ps/2 keyboard or they are on laptops... the issue persists bcoz in a normal installation you are installing patched drivers for ps/2! if you guys know exactly which drivers you are/were using before it is very easy to replace those files... the reason why it doesnt work is obvious.... lack of knowledge.... why i didnt put those files is bcoz I dont use ps/2 kb/mouse and dont know exactly which files are involved... I asked people here to tell me those kind of patches but noone really answered back correctly... or no full explanation of details... therefore i m not able to fix those problems...

kalyway works for some of you better bcoz it uses older files that ae working... i dont have many people around me to tell me or test packages with enough knowledge... kalyway does ...

for the suids to reappear... i dont know why it does... bcoz i did fix permissions 3 times in a row and didnt have any problems but i ll check those issues when i come back home...

also 10.5.4 update released much earlier than expected... funny... i ll take a look at it as well... lets see how it is gonna work out... when i come back home...

10.5.4 sounds to me like a rushed update for iphone 3g launch... apple doesnt bring an update package that quickly...

Mysticus C*,

Much props and respect to you! Your 10.5.3 Combo Update worked like a dream. The only issue I had was my fault; I didn't select the PS/2 fix and when I rebooted my notebook (Compaq Presario c762NR), the trackpad and keyboard did not work. No worries, I hooked up a USB mouse and keyboard, grabbed the keyboard_trackpad.rar file posted in this thread, unpacked and installed the kext files using Kext Helper, reboot, and boom! Fixed.

I tried the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update but it always killed my install with iATKOS 2.0i. I could never get the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD install to work on my notebook either. The only one that has worked (and worked fantastically) is iATKOS 2.0i, and now your combo update worked great as well. Again, thank you!!!