Complete Updates for Newbies and All -- Currently 10.5.5 Combo (Only Intel CPUs)

2,152 posts in this topic

Hi, Mysticus! First of all.. a million of thanks for your great works!! :-))

I tried to install it on my intel pc, for about 4 or 5 times, trying almost all kernels, but without success.. :-( The installation ends well, the system restarts, and then I have the famous string that says "Still waiting for root device".. and so on infinitely!

Here are my info:

kalyway 10.5.2

vanilla kernel 9.2.2 - efi bios v.8

motherboard asus p5k pro with p35 chipset

cpu intel core duo 8400

nvidia 8600 gt ddr2 512 mb ram

2x2 gb ram 800 mhz

2 sata hds

1 sata burner + 1 ide burner

Could you help me please?

Thanxxxxxx

Daniela

Hi, Mysticus! First of all.. a million of thanks for your great works!! :-))

I tried to install it on my intel pc, for about 4 or 5 times, trying almost all kernels, but without success.. :-( The installation ends well, the system restarts, and then I have the famous string that says "Still waiting for root device".. and so on infinitely!

Here are my info:

kalyway 10.5.2

vanilla kernel 9.2.2 - efi bios v.8

motherboard asus p5k pro with p35 chipset

cpu intel core duo 8400

nvidia 8600 gt ddr2 512 mb ram

2x2 gb ram 800 mhz

2 sata hds

1 sata burner + 1 ide burner

Could you help me please?

Thanxxxxxx

Daniela

check my note under the :D for the temporary fix... i m currently fixing all the errors hopefully... it will be the last...

i m gonna test now the terminal fix and other small issues... especially the audio problems... but not guaranteed for network though... people may need their previous fixings as well...

entire extensions folder will be saved under /backups so you all know where to look for after the update...

the latest and hopefully the final update package... i dont wanna see anymore errors :)

@euthenics: have you checked any kernel option? let me know which one you did... bcoz it sounds much like one kernel option has problem removing older system.kext to replace it to latest... my suggestion on this was to not select any kernel... but obviously people are too itchy to play with things they dont know very well...

pcgenusbehci is the one i was talking about... tahts why i asked you to deselect the pcgen selection from kalyway install.. i think u already had it installed with it when u cloned your hdd... remove the pcgenusbehci!! it will cause conflict... best thing to do is use my usb not mount fix, first before the update! it will bring back original usb driver... and update package will update what is necessary...

Hi Mysticus,

I have hopefully cleaned up my Kalyway 10.5.2 Cloning Master now......I had cleaned up my cloned systems but had forgotten to clean up the Cloning Master....my fault.... :wacko:

Here is IOUSBFamily.kext now:

IOUSBFamilyKext.tiff

Here are the loaded USB kexts:

$ kextstat | grep "USB"

38 6 0x48ee2000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.0.8) <7 6 5 4>

39 0 0x48f36000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI (3.0.3) <38 17 6 5 4>

40 0 0x48fdb000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.0.7) <38 17 7 6 5 4>

43 0 0x49155000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.7) <38 6 5 4>

45 0 0x49245000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.0.7) <38 6 5 4>

53 0 0x4952f000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <38 5 4>

54 0 0x495da000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.0.5) <38 21 6 5 4>

and from uname -a :

9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

and from System.kext Info.plist:

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>9.2.0</string>

which is everything as it should be on my Main and Second Kalyway 10.5.2 systems before running your 10.5.3 v1.4a Installer with the latest modded Preflight scrip installed first.......I hope! :D

Hi Mysticus,

I have hopefully cleaned up my Kalyway 10.5.2 Cloning Master now......I had cleaned up my cloned systems but had forgotten to clean up the Cloning Master....my fault.... :wacko:

Here is IOUSBFamily.kext now:

IOUSBFamilyKext.tiff

Here are the loaded USB kexts:

$ kextstat | grep "USB"

38 6 0x48ee2000 0x28000 0x27000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (3.0.8) <7 6 5 4>

39 0 0x48f36000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI (3.0.3) <38 17 6 5 4>

40 0 0x48fdb000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (3.0.7) <38 17 7 6 5 4>

43 0 0x49155000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (3.0.7) <38 6 5 4>

45 0 0x49245000 0xb000 0xa000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (3.0.7) <38 6 5 4>

53 0 0x4952f000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (3.0.0) <38 5 4>

54 0 0x495da000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (3.0.5) <38 21 6 5 4>

and from uname -a :

9.2.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

and from System.kext Info.plist:

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>9.2.0</string>

which is everything as it should be on my Main and Second Kalyway 10.5.2 systems before running your 10.5.3 v1.4a Installer with the latest modded Preflight scrip installed first.......I hope! :D

looks all good :) i m yet to finish testing my update package... for terminal fix... it was bothering me :) i dont wanna do the temporary fix as deleting login as it may cause different problems... later...

for the time being, you have to delete the login to access to terminal... how can you do it w/o terminal? lol easy... open finder go to GO menu and GO TO FOLDER

just type in /usr/bin

then find the login and right click and move to trash...

this is temp solution... i m testing my latest package to see if the solution working or not... yet to finish installing...

looks all good :wacko: i m yet to finish testing my update package... for terminal fix... it was bothering me :D i dont wanna do the temporary fix as deleting login as it may cause different problems... later...

for the time being, you have to delete the login to access to terminal... how can you do it w/o terminal? lol easy... open finder go to GO menu and GO TO FOLDER

just type in /usr/bin

then find the login and right click and move to trash...

this is temp solution... i m testing my latest package to see if the solution working or not... yet to finish installing...

Hi Mysticus,

Have just downloaded the Preflight script currently downloadable below your Updater Trumpet..... unfortunately the install fails......

Failed_Install.tiff

so I guess I should wait for you to finish testing..... :)

I can update to 10.5.3 fine but i am stuck at 1024x768 i have a gforce 6800 256mb

if i select the nvidia 256 option and try to reboot it hangs so i hard reset and i get the grey screen must restart or shut down computer i have also had still waiting for root device

any suggestions

I can update to 10.5.3 fine but i am stuck at 1024x768 i have a gforce 6800 256mb

if i select the nvidia 256 option and try to reboot it hangs so i hard reset and i get the grey screen must restart or shut down computer i have also had still waiting for root device

any suggestions

Ty Natit..... :D

@haxi: are you sure you placed the preflight to right place? bcoz error stating that it cant be run at all... if it is run, usually error message follows for possible problems... yours doesnt even show explanation... something wrong there? with replacing the file...

@boxer: have you tried natit package instead of nvinject? if you didnt, try it, just try to install with natit...

@haxi: are you sure you placed the preflight to right place? bcoz error stating that it cant be run at all... if it is run, usually error message follows for possible problems... yours doesnt even show explanation... something wrong there? with replacing the file...

@boxer: have you tried natit package instead of nvinject? if you didnt, try it, just try to install with natit...

Hi Mysticus, I don't think so......

PreflightLocation.tiff

but after my Cloning Master mess up, it is possible..... ;)

i give up for now... temp solution should be it for now, tomorrow, i will try again to see what i can do...right now i cant see what is wrong... everything is as it should be, except running startup script... i m sure it is initiated by a launchdaemon but i dont know which one yet... if i can find it, it should be done for good... it must be in install.plist file maybe as leopard using different package model... so it may just be a script defined in original installer's package info file(s) lets see tomorrow... if i can get this right, it is most likely the end of story... so can make things much easier for next update 10.5.4... which is coming soon i suppose...

Hi Mysticus, I don't think so......PreflightLocation.tiffbut after my Cloning Master mess up, it is possible..... ;)
i m too tired right now check anything right now, will take a look at it tomorrow...

i give up for now... temp solution should be it for now, tomorrow, i will try again to see what i can do...

right now i cant see what is wrong... everything is as it should be, except running startup script... i m sure it is initiated by a launchdaemon but i dont know which one yet... if i can find it, it should be done for good... it must be in install.plist file maybe as leopard using different package model... so it may just be a script defined in original installer's package info file(s) lets see tomorrow... if i can get this right, it is most likely the end of story... so can make things much easier for next update 10.5.4... which is coming soon i suppose...

So did I do something wrong in the way I downloaded and installed the new preflight script ....? ;)

Well, I finally put the preflight file into the correct place and updated! But the system crashed... it shows that screen saying the I must hold down the power button for a while and turn-off the computer...

I went back and restored the TimeMachine backup... but now I can only boot using the iATKOS DVD... wtf!!! My bootloader is corrupted and I don't have any idea of what to do in order to get it back!!!!

Hi! the update fixed most my problems.. thank you very much!! :D

I have video now and my firewire audiofire 4 is working too..

I have this problem now..

My system freeze randomly if I dont use the "cpus=1" :D ... when I boot with the cpus=1 it works ok!

Do you know how to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

Hi! the update fixed most my problems.. thank you very much!! :D

I have video now and my firewire audiofire 4 is working too..

I have this problem now..

My system freeze randomly if I dont use the "cpus=1" :D ... when I boot with the cpus=1 it works ok!

Do you know how to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

YOU HAVE TO TAKE OFF 2 GB RAM AND RUN THE SYSTEM WITH 2 GB LEFT... and dont use on board lan!!! dont use nforceethernetcontroller.kext or forcedeth...

random freeze is from ram!!! use only 2 gb ram on nforce!!!

Managed to installed your combo update 10.5.3 v1.4a,

Hardware Specs:

Kalyway 10.5.2

CPU: Intel Pentium D 3.2MHz

Motherboard: Intel 955XBK

SATA HDD and ASUS DVD-RW

So far only notice 2 things break. My sound card 9221A1 which by the way is only working partly before install this combo.

Secondly, when I plug the USB in, nothing comes out on the desktop. But system profiler shows that it's working, able to detect my thumb drive. Previous version (Kalyway 10.5.2) no problem. Any idea on this issue?

Image below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28070410@N08/2610506615/

Apart from that, NVinject 128 (Fully working QE/CI/QGL), able to run a number of software applications but will need to test more and observe.

Thank you for the combo update. Great work.

I still can't get the USB to work properly. It says detected in the System Profiler, but it does not mount it on the desktop.

Didn't use pcgenusbehci. Any idea on how to resolve this?

Thank you in advance.

YOU HAVE TO TAKE OFF 2 GB RAM AND RUN THE SYSTEM WITH 2 GB LEFT... and dont use on board lan!!! dont use nforceethernetcontroller.kext or forcedeth...

random freeze is from ram!!! use only 2 gb ram on nforce!!!

Is there a boot command we can set to only use 2 gb of ram on boot? I got 8 gb of ram and are not about to remove 6 of that just to meet this requirement.

I agree with the nforce ethernet controller/forcedeth kext, it never works properly for me anyways. Says it's always unplugged.

Is there a boot command we can set to only use 2 gb of ram on boot? I got 8 gb of ram and are not about to remove 6 of that just to meet this requirement.

I agree with the nforce ethernet controller/forcedeth kext, it never works properly for me anyways. Says it's always unplugged.

I used the maxmem=2048, but still the freeze. Question is... when I use the maxmem=2048, and I boot, system says I have only 2g of ram.. so, the problem is that the 2g of ram are still conected to the hardware??

P.D: I´m not using LAN! (Question about this... If I buy a PCI ethernet card, I can use it without problems? thanks..)

nforce mobo questions here (this is my nforce topic...) read post#2 carefully, it

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...&pid=626130

usb not mounting issue caused by mismatched kernel & system kext make sure you are using both same versions

say 9.2.0 kernel should work with 9.2.0 system.kext if anyway they dont match, usb devices wont mount if you dont stick it at start and boot with it...

solution? match it correctly! with correct versions! there is a USB not mounting topic which is using my installer... but i alsa have a link to teh installer on my nforce topic as well... check post#2 for usb problem...

On a side note. Mysticus. I know you are busy yelling at people..... :wacko:

But, I wanted to mention that on your advice. I lowered my memory back down to stock memory speed of 667 and have not had a freeze since. ;) Thanks Mysticus.

Thanks for the advise. I did read the link.

I just found out that I got the same Terminal error too.

I also did the small fix as advised on preflight before performing the combo update.

In the end, followed haxi advised and got the Terminal to work as normal again.

As for USB problem, after I found that I had selected the pcgenusbehci installed by default during my initial Kalyway 10.5.2 installation, I proceeded to download the USB1.3 fix.mpkg and basically installed only the 9.2.2 System.kext only and USB Family Original - Restore-Backup. Did not select any kernel as I'm already using Kernel 9.2.2 Modbin. Reboot it and everything works fine.

It was only after I installed the 10.5.3 combo update v1.4a, I found out the USB mount did not work. I did try to redo the USB1.3 fix with the same selection but it does not work as well.

Any clue on how to resolve this?

Much advise is appreciated.

EDITED:

Ok, I think I figure out the problem. Mysticus was right, there wasn't a matching between the kernel and system kext.

My old kernel was running Modbin 9.2.2. Once I did the combo update, my kernel was changed to 9.2.0 TOH (sleep kernel), that is why it was not working. After I run the USB Fix, this time selecting the right system.kext, it's working now. I did not realise the kernel was changed all this while and I'm not sure how to check my kernel version. So it seems that when I perform the combo update, even though I did not select any kernel (because I want to continue using my old kernel), the update package will install automatically the 9.2.0 sleep kernel as the notes informed.

I only found out the kernel version because of the Taruga patch problem whereby after using v1.20 where I loaded the Sigma 9221 in order to get it work partially, each time I use the -v option, I will have shutdown problem with the errror:

panic(cpu a caller 0x003EB81C):" A driver releasing a(n) AppleHDAController has corrupted the registry \n@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.5.18/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp:241

From there I saw the kernel version.

Would like to ask three question here if allowed:

1) How does one check the full path kernel version (like if I want to know if it's 9.2.0 TOH or Kaby & etc) besides checking on the System Software overview

2) Change to another kernel version? So perhaps I may need to use pcwiz on kernel installer or OSx86 Tools Utility.

3)I actually like the Kalyway kernel selection option where one can choose each kernel to test.

By the way, any steps on how to restore that should one desire?

Thank you in advance for the assistance. :(

I used the 10.5.3 V1.4 update package. Everything went wel, except for 1 thing. My terminal doesn't work anymore, when i launch the terminal app i get this error. :(

login: PAM Error (line 396): System error
login: Could not determine audit condition

[Proces voltooid]

Anybody any idea what went wrong?

my specs:

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R

Q6600

4 GB DDR800

Asus Geforce 7300, 256mb

2x 500GB Sata Hardrive

greetinx Atze