10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

This breaks CI/QE/Open GL ;\

The install guide is perfectly fine. It's the actual update installer that breaks your QE/CI. You must take the time to backup your extensions folder first, and then reapply any kext's that you need for your system to work properly.

this broke damn near everything for me. No QE, my RAM is reading as 800mhz, there's no sound, System Profiler has an error getting information... *sigh*

I think I'm just going to have to downgrade with Time Machine until there's a fixed update.

this broke damn near everything for me. No QE, my RAM is reading as 800mhz, there's no sound, System Profiler has an error getting information... *sigh*

I think I'm just going to have to downgrade with Time Machine until there's a fixed update.

You have to back up your extensions. AppleSMBIOS, AppleHDA, NVinject etc...

ah. Perhaps that would be good information to preface the install guide with.

I'll revert, backup, then reinstall, and see if I can get this working. I definitely want 10.5.3.

EDIT: waitaminute, Time Machine kept all my extensions, duh. I can start copying them and try to fix it right now.

F***, it broke my install. I am familiar with this method that netkas put and had installed 10.5.2 many times before with this method. Don't know what went wrong.

It gives me boot{censored} of crashreporter error messages on boot. The first boot up mach_reboot was fine. I hard booted and everything seems to boot fine even up to nvinject, parallel's kext and hypervisor. After that it crashes with keywords containing loginwindow, HIToolbox, microsoft office, quicktime and most other applications names in it. This keeps going on and on. I had manually changed HIToolbox before to get the transparent drop down menus back in 10.5.2. Could this be the reason it broke? Doubt so.

ah. Perhaps that would be good information to preface the install guide with.

I'll revert, backup, then reinstall, and see if I can get this working. I definitely want 10.5.3.

You don't have to, just redownload them and apply.

Here I will show you I'm not lying, I have QE/CI/Resolution, sound, system stats and 10.5.3

proofoy0.png

You don't have to, just redownload them and apply.

I've edited your post to include backing up of the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Reason being because people who don't know much about the inner workings of OSx86 and used Leo4All to install it won't know a thing about which kext's relate to their graphics, sound, About This Mac (SMBIOS) etc... This then also prevents those annoying topics entitled "Help me - installed 10.4.3 and now it don't work!!".

- Sabr.

I'm not as knowledgable as many of the other people here, but I can tell you my experiences with the 10.5.2 update.... it seems like its basically the *EXACT* same thing. Your custom kext files being replaced is normal, this has happened before.

Is it possible to install it this way on a AMD system using Mac4Allv3?
Doubt it. This update will change the kernel to a Vanilla 9.3.0. You probably could, but I would recommend waiting for a modified update to be released first.

This breaks CI/QE/Open GL ;\
It didn't break it, it simply reverted to system defaults regarding your KEXT files. I assume you were using NVinject or something similar. You'll have to reinstall thost files.

Same thing. Everything reverted to system defaults. Your custom AppleSMBIOS.kext, NVinject.kext, your audio kext files... they all just need to be reinstalled. This same problem happened with 10.5.2 until Kalyway's combo updater was released. Relax, this is normal.

I'm a little cautious about doing this, my procedure for 10.5.2 was to use the KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg and then after than install the kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg package. Is it likely that these two will be produced for the new 10.5.3 update?

I'm a little cautious about doing this, my procedure for 10.5.2 was to use the KalywayUpdCombo10.5.2.pkg and then after than install the kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg package. Is it likely that these two will be produced for the new 10.5.3 update?

Eventually, but the update is easy enough.

Hmmmmm, is the actual update itself obtained through Software Update? I have backups, what's the worst that can happen ;)

OK, answering myself here, but asking another question.

I see two updates on the Apple site.

420Mb worth of "Update" here

536Mb of "Combo Update" here

Which is the preferred one to download?

Thanks.