Tutorial: Install JaS 10.5.2 on VMware Workstation 6.5

218 posts in this topic

are u refering the bug as the spinning loop or the verbose report crash?

btw the crash of ur template only happens under linux, windows ver is happy about it, so yea aint that much of a problem ;-)

Spinning logo and verbose crash.

You didn't reply -___- So ill write again.

Well, with -v, it runs smoothly and then crash :problem:

Oh and i tried installing JaS on another virtual machine with default setting on 'other' and it gets me to the spinning wheel of death and hangs!

Please help, I uninstalled this off my external harddrive in the hope I could get it working virtually!

Please!

post-238135-1219868664_thumb.jpg

You didn't reply -___- So ill write again.

Well, with -v, it runs smoothly and then crash :problem:

Oh and i tried installing JaS on another virtual machine with default setting on 'other' and it gets me to the spinning wheel of death and hangs!

Please help, I uninstalled this off my external harddrive in the hope I could get it working virtually!

Please!

Sorry I don't know what the solution to your issue is.

This is a awesome tutorial. I have also been beta testing Vmware 6.5 and I have loaded almost every OSX disc I download (10.5.1, 10.5.2 and 10.5.4 Client/Server). I followed the instructions for installing JaS 10.5.2 as per your tutorial but I end up with the same results as I do when I installed the others versions of OSX I have. It will install and get to the end and say restart. I dismount the iso image and then hit the restart button. The VM restarts and when it goes to boot from the hard drive, it says "Operating System Not Found". I have checked and the partition is marked as Primary and Active. I don't know what's going on.

MeGa

This is a awesome tutorial. I have also been beta testing Vmware 6.5 and I have loaded almost every OSX disc I download (10.5.1, 10.5.2 and 10.5.4 Client/Server). I followed the instructions for installing JaS 10.5.2 as per your tutorial but I end up with the same results as I do when I installed the others versions of OSX I have. It will install and get to the end and say restart. I dismount the iso image and then hit the restart button. The VM restarts and when it goes to boot from the hard drive, it says "Operating System Not Found". I have checked and the partition is marked as Primary and Active. I don't know what's going on.

MeGa

Things changed with the newer beta and rc of Workstation. Darwin support does now work in a different way. If you aren't using a vanilla leopard install, then edit the VMX and change guestos = "darwin-64" to guestos = "other-64".

Things changed with the newer beta and rc of Workstation. Darwin support does now work in a different way. If you aren't using a vanilla leopard install, then edit the VMX and change guestos = "darwin-64" to guestos = "other-64".

Ok, I changed that option in the VMX file and I'm installing it again with all the options you have checked off. I will post back in about 40 minutes :lol: Thanks

MeGa

Donk,

changing that setting to OTHER-64 worked like a charm. I think I might try to reload 10.5.4 Client Server to see if that works as well now since it installs and everything perfectly fine. I'll post back with my results ;) Thanks again.

MeGa

Donk,

changing that setting to OTHER-64 worked like a charm. I think I might try to reload 10.5.4 Client Server to see if that works as well now since it installs and everything perfectly fine. I'll post back with my results ;) Thanks again.

MeGa

Added an update to first post to detail this.

Added an update to first post to detail this.

Great ;)

There is also another glitch. I'm not sure if anyone else has pointed this out but. Maybe it's just my machine but if I take and connect a USB HDD to the VM, OSX will mount the drive and everything works fine. When I go to copy a file and it's over 34MB in size. It will copy to exactl 34MB and just stop. I have let it sit for hours and it will not copy past 34MB. Any other file lower than that will copy perfectly. Even a file that's 33MB. Not sure why that is but I know it's just a beta still and running OSX on it is still in beta also. Just wanted to let people know before they possbily corrupt some data.

MeGa

The buslogic SCSI adapter is not supported for 64-bit guests in this release. Please consult the documentation for the appropriate type of SCSI adapter to use with 64-bit guests.
Failed to configure virtual device scsi0.

that's the error message I get, any workaround for osx?

edit - and when attempting to run without the 64bit tag I KP, getting a screenshot of exactly where in verbose mode now, it'll be up in a minute (using -v -x -f.

edit2 - here's the first place it stops for a while, not sure if this was the spot it was kp'ing or not Untitled1.jpg

edit 3 - okay next snag in the boot Untitled.jpg

ignore the last two lines, I was typing in it by accident and then tried to put a disclaimer so no one takes it wrong >.<

edit 4- okay, it didn't move past that, now trying just -x without verbose to see how long it takes to kp

I got this error message

-v.jpg

now I have a little almost no smoking sign over the apple, is that normal, I never thought using vmware would be harder than a native install >.<

edit 5- odd no more kp, it looks like it'll just sit at the apple logo forever now, in meantime here's some information, my system specs are in my sig, I'm using the same version that I did for a native install in vmware workstation 6.5, I have 540mb of ram allocated, and am trying to boot it fdirectly from the iatkos ISO, haven't even gotten to the nice installer yet, if anyone has faced these issues before please do tell, and if not I may look into dualbooting osx and vista.

okay, so with some tinkering and making a new virtual box I'm at the screen with a cursor and background but nothing else yet, it's been about five minutes, how long does this usually take on a virtual machine, is something wrong, or is it that much slower?

edit 7- I was so happy it looked like it was going to work, now I have a few thousand line long crash report... let me find a way to save it and I'll upload it >.<

Ahh I had that problem with MacDrive. I actually used the ISO image directly inside VMware. You need to edit the CD-ROM setting and point to the ISO you downloaded and ensure it is connected at startup in the guest.

Host: Dell D620 laptop

How come we have the same laptop, with the same specs, yours works, and mine doesn't? Mine always hangs at apple logo, and I have no idea what to do! I'm using the .vmx supplied on the first post, and the exact same .iso specified there.

What am i doing wrong? Is it that i'm using a 32-bit insead of 64? Or something else?

Please help, I'm beginning to get desperate!

How come we have the same laptop, with the same specs, yours works, and mine doesn't? Mine always hangs at apple logo, and I have no idea what to do! I'm using the .vmx supplied on the first post, and the exact same .iso specified there.

What am i doing wrong? Is it that i'm using a 32-bit insead of 64? Or something else?

Please help, I'm beginning to get desperate!

Sorry as I said before I just don't have an answer to this one. Please note as well I am no longer running JaS as I have moved on to using a vanilla Leopard install inside of VMware and so can't really test this out.

Has anyone gotten it to work on a Linux host?

It starts to boot from the ISO and I get this far:

post-277980-1221124933_thumb.png

then it just sits there forever :)

Anybody have any ideas?

Need a lot more information then that. First boot with -v flag to see if there are any error messages. Which verison of VMware are you using? What is you machine's processor specification?

I'm still having this problem.

Pretty sure already mentioned this, but try using guestos = "other" in the VMX file.

Does anyone know if it's possible to update from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4?

EDIT:

Oh, and is there a way to install VMWare Tools on this?

FreeBSD VMWare Tools tells me that the operating system isn't compatible.

Not using Apple update unless you back extensions up first. If you have compatible processor then the thread here on using retail Leopard in VMware will allow Apple updates to be applied.

VMware tools ship with Fusion 2.0, but I wouldn't bother as they don't work in Workstation. I am looking at the problem, but probably only VMware could fix it.

Ahh, I'm confused!

So, can I update to 10.5.4 through the Apple updater if I backup the extensions? And if so, what do I do then?

How do I know if my processor (Intel Core 2 Duo T7700, 2.40GHz) is compatible for retail Leopard?

Oh {censored}... 10.5.5 is out now!

Yep - processor should be capable of running retail Leopard.

Hi i didn manage to boot the Jas 10.5.4 iso in vm 6.5 beta....my computer has giga DS3L P35 and 2G ram,XP SP3,8600GT 256mb, the cpu is e2160(obviously no VT).so does that mean i don have the luck to use leo in vm?

btw i have jas 10.5.4 installed on the same com with everything working, so i can still enjoy hackintosh...

Finally managed to make work Jas 10.5.4 on Vmware 6.5 on a Lenovo T60 laptop.

Also solved the problem with missing keyboard after installation without connecting an external usb keyboard.

Is just a package missing in Jas install kit: ApplePS2Controller.kext (I think that was discussed also in this forum)

In the end everything was simple:

VT on in BIOS

Virtual disk : SCSI

CD1 : IDE 0:0 with Jas ISO (no Demon tools or other emulators)

CD2 : IDE 0:1 with ApplePS2Controller.kext -> ISO - after instalation

Guest: FreeBSD-64

Disabled floppy & serial/paralel ports

Installed X11, StageXNU, Intel-ICHx, ACPIPS2NUB, ApleIntelPIIATA, Intel ICH7 to ICH9 AHCI, SMBIOS 1066.

Still not working Sound & Network but I don't need them for moment.

Actually there are 2 different things here.

For WS6 try:

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE

monitor_control.vt32 = TRUE

For WS65 try:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE

The VT32 option is replaced in WS65 with the virtual_exec option. Actually not sure the backdoor hack is relevant here as it is to allow nesting of VMware products e.g. ESX in WS. BTW I was the one who originally documented that in the VMware forums, and talked to the VMware engineers on what it did.

Thank you, that allowed me to install Kalaway CD in VMWare Server 2.0 und Linux. Waiting for it to install...