Tutorial: Install JaS 10.5.2 on VMware Workstation 6.5

218 posts in this topic

Interesting as I haven't got this running on a real Mac either! Have you tried the steps in my post just before yours on copying the vmware-vmx.exe files?

Donk, that worked great! I would have never guessed that's what has been causing the problem. I just went to the vmware directory, renamed the vmware-vmx-debug.exe to vmware-vmx-debugold.exe, and then I made a copy of vmware-vmx.exe and renamed it vmware-vmx-debug.exe. I guess that fixes a number of things, because a few people seem to have posted about that particular fix >_<.

I'm installing right now and will post my results. Thanks again!

Cool! One of the things the debug version of VMware debug monitor does is deliberately dump on a virtual triple fault, which I think is also related t this segment error. The release version doesn't do this and just passes it on to the guest OS. During the beta program you can't disable debug version, but the copy gets around this by using release version renamed as debug one.

Donk, all I have to say is, great job! This works amazingly, and so far I've been able to do everything with it I wanted to. Ethernet works perfectly, which was one of my big things, and compared to other installs on VMWare I've tried, this one runs surprisingly fast. Now, wouldn't it be nice if we could find and modify VMWare's OS X Server VM Tools to work on this? :thumbsdown_anim:

Again, this is pretty awesome, and thanks for the help.

Damn this is fast using the scsi disk inside the vm!

Impressive! Although I can't get the pre made vmx to work, had to roll my own and its works great :)

Thanks for this, very usable compared to other leopard vmware options.

Would be nice to know what tweaks Leopard Server needs to work too :D

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like getting JaS 10.5.2 is impossible. Only a few seeders to start out and now 0. I was wondering if anyone could make a virtual machine with the minimum amount of disk space to install Leopard on, then install Leopard and upload the virtual machine somewhere. If you can, plz pm me or something I would greatly appriciate it.

Actually there are 2 different things here.

For WS6 try:

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE

monitor_control.vt32 = TRUE

For WS65 try:

monitor.virtual_exec = "hardware"

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE

The VT32 option is replaced in WS65 with the virtual_exec option. Actually not sure the backdoor hack is relevant here as it is to allow nesting of VMware products e.g. ESX in WS. BTW I was the one who originally documented that in the VMware forums, and talked to the VMware engineers on what it did.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Donk

My installation worked fine on a Dell D830. I've added the ISO image to the CD drive.

Before the reboot after the installation finished, I've reassigned the CD drive to default.

With this configuration I get an "Operating System not found" error. Then I assigned the ISO image

to the CD drive again and the system boots.

Any idea what's going on? Is the boot loader missing? I have deselected "Darwin/X86 Bootloader"

in the install options according your description.

Thanks for your tutorial. Great job!

I keep getting an operating system not found error. I have a 64 bit compatible proc. and vmware 6.5b.

EDIT: Okay, I feel completely retarded. For some reason the "connected at power on" option was unchecked.... Happens to the both of us... right? lol Also, if you have an com.boot.apple.plist not found or wahtever the file is then make sure you have MAC OS X Leopard 64 bit set as the OS in vmware, without it it will not find that for some reason. Thanks Donk, with a little persistance I got it to work very smoothly :(

Any idea what's going on? Is the boot loader missing? I have deselected "Darwin/X86 Bootloader"

in the install options according your description.

You probably have deselected them all. Using my intstrucitons you should select EFI for GPT boot loader.

gday guys,

i am going to be installing JaS tonight in vmware, but with a twist

i am wanting to install it so i can take it on my ipod with me...

now the problem is that because the ipod is fat32 it can only hadle 2gig files, i know in vmware you can seperate the virtual drive into 2gig files, but i am wondering if i can make a new harddrive within the pre-made VMX file...

cheers

Hi all

I've solved my "Operating System not found" problem. There was no "Guest Operating System" selected in the VMware

configuration. I actually can't assign "MAC OS X 10.5 Leopard" because this entry isn't saved when leaving the configuration

dialog!? But it works fine with "FreeBSD 64bit".

Thanks to all for your input.

Hi all

I've solved my "Operating System not found" problem. There was no "Guest Operating System" selected in the VMware

configuration. I actually can't assign "MAC OS X 10.5 Leopard" because this entry isn't saved when leaving the configuration

dialog!? But it works fine with "FreeBSD 64bit".

Thanks to all for your input.

You need to edit the VMX by hand. I would really put the right entry in there to get the E1000 NIC working correctly.

This mouse click issues w/the grabbing is annoying.

If i leave it how it was I can go between my multiple monitor setup. With the workaround enabled all I end up w/scroll bars on my operating system which is REALLY annoying b/c you have to hit crl-alt to scroll them.

My monitor is 1280x1024, the OS is 1280x1024 therefore w/the stupid tab that VMWARE puts on I am stuck w/a scrollbar.

Any better workarounds?

This mouse click issues w/the grabbing is annoying.

If i leave it how it was I can go between my multiple monitor setup. With the workaround enabled all I end up w/scroll bars on my operating system which is REALLY annoying b/c you have to hit crl-alt to scroll them.

My monitor is 1280x1024, the OS is 1280x1024 therefore w/the stupid tab that VMWARE puts on I am stuck w/a scrollbar.

Any better workarounds?

Not sure what you are doing, guess usign the quick switch mode, but drag VMware to the monitor you want to use and then go fullscreen. Works for me.

Hi

Haven't tried it, but JaS 10.5.3 updater works fine. I did change front page to mention this, but should have posted in the threads as well.

Not sure what you are doing, guess usign the quick switch mode, but drag VMware to the monitor you want to use and then go fullscreen. Works for me.

I run dual monitors, if I leave the "Ungrab when cursor leave window" checked the mouse will freak out after a while for no reason and I cant use the VM and I have to reboot it.

If I uncheck it then there are scrollbars on the OS when I go fullscreen because ungrab is disabled so it puts a toolbar up top for some reason making it slightly bigger.

EDIT: NVM fixed it, just left the ugrab unchecked and rather than clicking the fullscreen button I pressed ctrl + alt + enter and took care of it.

Is there a way to make the sound work?