Tutorial: Install JaS 10.5.2 on VMware Workstation 6.5

218 posts in this topic

UPDATE: With VMware Workstation 6.5 RC1, Server 2.0 RC2 and Fusion 2.0 RC1 please change the VMX file line

guestos = "darwin-64"

to

guestos = "other-64"

This should also work for other distros; e.g. iAtkos, JaS, etc. If you want to use a vanilla Leopard install please see this topic http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=118663.

Donk 31st August

Hi

Just installed JaS 10.5.2 on VMware Workstation 6.5 beta, and it may possibly work with Server 2.0 beta 2. Best so far, boots and installs very quickly. Ethernet and USB work out of the box. Currently sound does not work. Used the VMX parameters from the work I did on iATKOS. I have attached a zip file with the vmx, nvram and an empty 20Gb IDE drive for use in the installs.

Update - JaS 10.5.3 Updater works fine on this setup. (22/06/08)

Major edit to turn into a tutorial (30/05/08).

1. Using an ISO image of the JaS 10.5.2 installer DVD, connect it a boot time to the VMware session and allow VMware to boot the guest from it. You should see the boot prompt (image1.png) and then the Apple boot screen (image2.png).

2. Next you are prompted for the language you wish to use to install (image3.png) followed by another screen as the installer starts (image4.png).

3. We know get to the interesting bit where we need to configure the hard disk. When the screen shows the start of the installer process select "Disk Utility" from the menu (image5.png).

4. In "Disk Utility" select the hard disk and "Partition" tab (image6.png). Within there select the following:

a. Volume Scheme - 1 partition

b. Name - whatever you want but I tend to avoid spaces as there used to be problems installing when there was a space in the name.

c. Format - Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

d. Select the Options button and select GUID partition type (image7.png)

e. Click OK

f. Click Apply

g. Close Disk Utility

5. Next you should be back at the main installer screen. Click Continue to a blank EULA screen (image8.png), and click Agree.

6.You should now click on the disk drive and press Continue to select the installation destination (image9.png).

7. Now in the Install Summary screen click the Customize button (image10.png), and then select the options in image11.png. I selected all drivers and patches and it has given me no problems. You will need to deselect "Darwin/X86 Bootloader" and "PC EFI MBR" as we aren't using these in this setup only "PC EFI GUID". Click "Done" and then "Install"

8. Now we are ready to have a cup of coffee as the system goes about installing itself. Mine seems to take 20-30 minutes. You will see screens like image12.png, image13.png & image14.png.

9. Finally we are there and we should eject the DVD and restart the guest (image15.png).

10. On reboot you should see a boot menu as in image16.png. Select the hard drive you named earlier and off it goes. You will then be presented with the normal Leopard first boot screens.

Hope this helps everyone. Thanks to VMware, Apple and JaS for making this possible.

post-142645-1209539690_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539696_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539703_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539710_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539718_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539724_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539734_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539740_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539746_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539753_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539759_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539766_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539780_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539785_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539792_thumb.png

post-142645-1209539798_thumb.png

Jas10.5.2.zip

Will I be able to select the patched USB driver from the list and also the Leopard Graphics Update?

Would it be possible for you to make step by step instructions for people who have never installed Tiger or Leopard before?

Thanks again

All the best

NSCXP2005

Hi NSCXP2005

USB driver works fine when selected. I basically installed everything but you need to select only one boot loader. I can't remember the exact options now, but will go back and do it again plus take some snapshots of the process. I'll add these to the first post.

Cheers Donk, excellent!!!

Hi Donk, this work great, the only problem I have is that when you start the VM it asks me to select which drive to boot, is there any command that can be put in to the com.Boot.Apple.list file to automatically select it for me?

All the best

NSCXP2005

Hi NSCXP2005,

You will need to add a value in seconds to the <string></string> under <Key>Timeout</key> in com.Boot.Apple.plist.

ie.

The setting below will create a 5 second delay before automatically loading Leopard.

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

Kind Regards,

Tarek

Hi NSCXP2005,

I made the change to the file just before I posted. I rebooted and the countdown timer appeared and then it automatically started leopard.I only have one disk attached and the default boot entry which was the second in the list booted leopard before I made the change.

Kind Regards,

thaoula

PS. this page provides a good overview of the settings http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Tips_And_Tricks

Also, have you got sound working in the VM?

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

And add or edit these lines:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>rd=disk0s2</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>8</string>

ctrl-o to write file

ctrl-x to exit

reboot.

uniqueOSX

That is a base VMware session to get started. Add your ISO image as a CD-ROM connected at boot time and start it up. The virtual drive has 20Gb free. Not sure what you 10Gb is, but if it is your real hard drive it may be a bit tight regarding space.

uniqueOSX

That is a base VMware session to get started. Add your ISO image as a CD-ROM connected at boot time and start it up. The virtual drive has 20Gb free. Not sure what you 10Gb is, but if it is your real hard drive it may be a bit tight regarding space.

Donk

So I should not create a new virtual machine, but just copy those files to the vmware folder that you provided? I currently don't have 20 GB of space, but will try to free up some.

I am having some trouble installing this. It is taking a long time on the grey apple screen, not sure how long it suppose to take, but it is still on that screen after 45 minutes, still loading. Is this normal?

It mentions that my computer does not support 64 bit.

@uniqueOSX - You don't create a new virtual machine but you use the pone in the zip file. Also the 20Gb drive is sparse so will only use space as you need it, amd not allocate all 20Gb at the start. If you want something smaller, delete the hard drive from within VMware then add a smaller hard drive back in but make sure it is a virtual IDE drive. (Check the VMware manual if you are unsure on this.) The work everyone has dome ion this so far is using a 64-bit capable machine. Yu could try editing the vmx file in a text editor, whilst VMware is closed, and changing the "darwin-64" to "darwin". If your PC has Intel VT extensions try checking the BIOS to see if they are disabled. If they are available switch them on and do a cold boot of the PC, that is physically power it off, and wait 10 seconds before restarting it.

@YoungDev - sorry no chance of this running. I used 2Gb in the virtual machine, and lowest that made it work well was 1Gb. JaS 10.5.2 isn't an AMD version so you are also out of luck there. Sorry.

Donk,

I changed to "darwin" in text editor and I went into BIOS and could not find where you changed the setting to enable VT. I have a Sony laptop and heard that Sony did not give you that option to change the VT. Is there a way to enable VT on my laptop? Need help.

JAS_VMWARE_BOOT.jpg