Tutorial: Install JaS 10.5.2 on VMware Workstation 6.5

218 posts in this topic

You will have to add it to the root, but I've never successfully used tools to do this on Windows. I actually do have an iMac and use it to mount and add files. However, I really am not sure this will solve your problem as I think JaS uses the ToH kernel.

Donk,

thanks a lot.

Tomorrow I'll be back at home and I'll try to add the ToH kernel thru my iMac.

I checked the kernel used by JaS and it's different by ToH in size and date.... crossfingers..!

I'll post the results soon.

Nando.

There is only one other thing you can do. If that fails then you are out of luck. Assuming Windows but Linux similar approach. Rename vmware-vmx-debug.exe to something else. Copy vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe in the C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation folder.

Hey uniqueOSX,

I had the same/very similar issues with VMware as you do. However, I don't have a Sony Vaio but a LG P300 with Penryn cpu. On a freshly installed Windows XP system (with just the graphics driver installed) Jas 10.5.2 would install and boot just fine using Vmware 6.5 beta. Same goes for Leo4VMware image by ~pcwiz. After I installed some programms it didn't boot anymore. I found the culprits to be the "Cisco VPN Client" a programm called "Battery Miser" and the "Zonelabs Zonealarm firewall". When preventing these 3 programs from starting everything works flawlessly for me. So if one of them is installed on your system try removing/disabling them. If that doesn't work you could create a 2nd partition and do a fresh Windows installation on that partition and install just the graphis driver. Then try VMware on that partition. There might be other progamms besides the three that I found which cause the CPU error.

Good luck,

mcgyver100

I am still having this problem. Took the VPN out. I'm not sure what other programs, unless I reinstall XP again. I don't think the other programs affect it. I don't have that much installed. Just programs like winrar, fastsum, alcohol 120, etc. Thanks for the help though.

Is there anything else I should to to get this working on my laptop.

Actually I think the advice you were given wasn't right. The only successful installs so far are using 64-bit mode and VT. I haven't been able to get any Leopard version past the point you have described in 32-bit mode. There seems to be more help on the web regarding work-arounds to this problem.

Actually I think the advice you were given wasn't right. The only successful installs so far are using 64-bit mode and VT. I haven't been able to get any Leopard version past the point you have described in 32-bit mode. There seems to be more help on the web regarding work-arounds to this problem.

Thanks Donk!

I will try see if I could get this working.

Hoping to build a PC soon, I'll give the 64 bit a try then.

never mind with my pass few posts on problems--solved already!

But I would like to ask why Mac OS X recognises my T5600 Core 2 Duo processor as 2*Intel Core 2 Solo @1.83GHz instead of Intel Core 2 Duo when I set that I have 2 processors. When I set that I have only one processor, it will show only Intel Core 2 Solo @ 1.83GHz. How can I solve the problem, and does this mean the processor is running slower??

To give a nice speed bost in VMWare v6.5 Beta x64 version, you can disable debugging by:

1. Making sure VMWare is not running.
  2. Navigating to the VMware\VMware Workstation\x64 folder.
  3. Renaming vmware-vmx-debug.exe to vmware-vmx-debug-old.exe.
  4. Renaming vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe.

Well been starting to see some issues with longer term use of this combination.

1. The new feature on ungrabbing the screen can cause the Leopard guest OS to lock-up. You need to change the setting mentioned here http://communities.vmware.com/thread/137452?tstart=0 here in WS 6.5 beta to ensure that bit is safe.

For those of us who can't access the above site, or don't feel like registering an account:

1. Open the Workstation preferences by going to the "Edit"->"Preferences" menu item (Ctrl+P).
  2. Select the "Input" tab.
  3. In the "Cursor" group box, uncheck the item labeled as "Ungrab when cursor leaves window".

------------

On a side note my "About This Mac" dialog reports the correct speed, but "Unknown" for the processor. Is there a way to fix this? It's preventing me from installing software I need. The software I'm trying to install aborts with an error message of "This software is not supported on the PowerPC platform". I'm obviously on the Intel platform (Dual quad core Xeons), but the software detection isn't working correctly, I'm guessing because of processor detection in my VMWare session.

Edit: Ok, I fixed the "About This Mac" issue displaying "Unknown" with this script fix:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=706787

However, this did not fix my above installation issue. I was trying to install Microsoft Silverlight 2 Beta 1 for development testing, and I kept getting an error of :

Microsoft Silverlight Browser Plug-In cannot be installed on this computer.

Silverlight 2 may not be installed on PowerPC.

I fixed it with the following procedure:

1. Download the Silverlight 2 Beta 1 plugin for Mac OSX.
  2. Let the .dmg file execute.
  3. Go to the folder where you downloaded the Silverlight plugin.
  4. Right click on "Silverlight2.0.pkg" and choose the "Show Package Contents" menu item.
  5. Double click on the "Contents" folder.
  6. Double click on the "Resources" folder.
  7. Drag and drop the file "InstallationCheck" to the trash.
  8. Close out the folder you're working in.
  9. Finally double click on the "Silverlight2.0.pkg" package, and it should install fine now.

Thanks for making this vmware compatible. Keep up the good work :)

Hey thanks for all your good work. One quick question there used to be a -vmware kernel flag, which I believe, altered the way the tsc init routines worked. Is this still the case with the latest kernels?

Donk

Maxxix - Need a lot more information that what you have given us. The first picture indicates that it cannot find a bootable hard drive in the guest. The second picture is that of the system waiting for the virtual drive during boot. So I see that you are running the latest build of the 6.5.

1. What is the host machine's specifications?

2. Can you post your VMX file?

3. Did you pick the same options as I did during the JaS setup?

I downloaded the zip file

contains

several vmdk files and one leopard config file

I pointed by beta 6.5 to that file and tried to open it

then vmware got rebooted and then went to revolving dhcp search mode....that means it did not find the hard drive.....or so

I have nothing pointed to CD drive.....

what I'm missing here .....?

can you help

thanks for your time

uddhav - you need to have a copy of JaS 10.5.2 DVD. The files are the skeleton for installing the product. If you get the DVD image, follow these instructions and you should have a working system.

@fredcat - try this:

x32 host - Copy vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe in the C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation folder.

x64 host - Copy vmware-vmx.exe to vmware-vmx-debug.exe in the C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64 folder

Best to copy the original somewhere safe first, or rename it.

Alright, I got an odd error. It happens just after Darwin x86 initially loads. Anybody seen this or know a fix?

*** VMware Workstation internal monitor error ***

vcpu-0:ASSERT vmcore/vmm/cpu/segment.c:449 bugNr=19580

There is a problem in this version of VMware Workstation.

We rely on your feedback to improve the quality of our product. Please submit a support request that describes the problem at our Web page "http://www.vmware.com/info?id=8". Do not forget to attach the log file (C:\Documents and Settings\fhssprob\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\Jas10.5.2\vmware.log) and the core file(s) (C:\Documents and Settings\fhssprob\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\Jas10.5.2\vmware-core.gz, C:\Documents and Settings\fhssprob\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\Jas10.5.2\vmware64-core.gz, C:\Documents and Settings\fhssprob\Application Data\VMware\vmware-vmx-debug-1952.dmp).

To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We appreciate your feedback,

-- the VMware Workstation team.

Looked through the problems other people were having and haven't seen this one, unless I missed it.