Tutorial: Install JaS 10.5.2 on VMware Workstation 6.5

218 posts in this topic

Hi, first of all Thanks for this great tutorial - I allready installed 10.4.10 on vmware so it wasn't total new for me.

I installed 10.5.2 and then the 10.5.3 combo update (Kalyway)

Everything is working except the sound...

I tried to load/unload a couple of kext but without success....

Is there a fix for that, or can I help in fixing this?

Hi, first of all Thanks for this great tutorial - I allready installed 10.4.10 on vmware so it wasn't total new for me.

I installed 10.5.2 and then the 10.5.3 combo update (Kalyway)

Everything is working except the sound...

I tried to load/unload a couple of kext but without success....

Is there a fix for that, or can I help in fixing this?

You wouldn't be willing to create a torrent & share your image, would you? :blink:

at the moment my vm is around 8Gb and I'm on vista 64.... but maybe I can help you on your problem....

How do you mount the iso? Directly in vmware or over an external application?

Well, I'm trying to mount it from within vmware, but when I hit Settings (i'm assuming this will open the ISO file?) in the menu, VMware Workstation just crashes. I've checked the core dump log files, and there's nothing useful in there.

It appears to be something it doesn't like about this image/vmx configuration, because I can open the settings dialog while in other images.

@majestix508 Well sound doesn't work although I am looking into using the kext from JaS 10.4.8 which someone pointed out may work.

@nullvalu - The dialogs won't work as you have undocumented parameters in it. You will either have to edit it by hand or just double click on say the CD drive and change just its properties.

@nullvalu - The dialogs won't work as you have undocumented parameters in it. You will either have to edit it by hand or just double click on say the CD drive and change just its properties.

Could you provide me an example of what the VMX should look like when it's correctly pointed at the ISO? I've tried editing by hand but have had no luck in the various combinations I've tried. Thanks Donk.

Just double click on the cd on the main screen where it lists the virtual hardware and change it there. It avoids the main dialog which can crash.

Unfortunately, I can't double-click. If you're talking about the little icon in the bottom-right corner, when I click (or double-click) the CD, I just get the context menu that pops up. If I click "Settings...", it crashes. :rolleyes:

post-266097-1217535992_thumb.png

Unfortunately, I can't double-click. If you're talking about the little icon in the bottom-right corner, when I click (or double-click) the CD, I just get the context menu that pops up. If I click "Settings...", it crashes. :rolleyes:

Well you are using the darwin.iso to boot the system which only works in Fusion. What are you trying to do here? Have you copied the darwin.iso to the VMware folder?

Well you are using the darwin.iso to boot the system which only works in Fusion. What are you trying to do here? Have you copied the darwin.iso to the VMware folder?

LMAO.. I don't know! :rolleyes: I am booting the image that I downloaded from this thread. I have the JAS 10.5.2 ISO on the disk. What am I doing wrong? I don't have a "darwin.iso", I'm using "JaS OsX86 10.5.2 Intel SSE2 SSE3.iso".

EDIT: Ah.. I just looked in the image vmware.log file and there is this line:

Jul 31 15:54:29.225: vcpu-0| CDROM: Connecting ide1:0 to '/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/darwin.iso'. img=1 raw=0 excl=0 remote=0

But I didn't configure this, this is what happens when I try to boot the download image.

LMAO.. I don't know! :) I am booting the image that I downloaded from this thread. I have the JAS 10.5.2 ISO on the disk. What am I doing wrong? I don't have a "darwin.iso", I'm using "JaS OsX86 10.5.2 Intel SSE2 SSE3.iso".

EDIT: Ah.. I just looked in the image vmware.log file and there is this line:

Jul 31 15:54:29.225: vcpu-0| CDROM: Connecting ide1:0 to '/usr/lib/vmware/isoimages/darwin.iso'. img=1 raw=0 excl=0 remote=0

But I didn't configure this, this is what happens when I try to boot the download image.

It's the way VMware boots Mac OS X on Fusion. Just move the darwin.iso or rename it then try again.

It's the way VMware boots Mac OS X on Fusion. Just move the darwin.iso or rename it then try again.

ok, now I just get "Operating System not found." I do not have the JaS iso mounted or anything like that, do I have to do that first? If so, do you know how I'd do that in linux? Or how I hand-code the .vmx file so VMware will open it?

Thanks allot for the tutorial Donk! Everything worked instantly (including internet) :D. This is using vmware workstation e.x.p.-build-99530

Note: At the end of the installer I had a warning screen from vmware telling me my cpu was disabled and I needed to reboot. This was before I could choose to restart myself. This was the usual message I'd get before rebooting and then it wouldn't work. Eitherway just reset and should work fine \o/

Oh and ofcourse let's not forget to thank JaS for the awesome iso! :o

Hi Donk

Any update on the sound issue?

Tx a lot

PM

I thought I had it sorted by using JaS 10.4.8 kexts but it doesn't work for me. Actually I have moved on now and no longer run JaS as I have been working on using retail Leopard on VMware. See this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=118663. If I get sound working it is likely to be documented there.

Hey Donk,

I tried installing it on another PC (Dell Optiplex GX280) P4 3.80 Ghz w/HT. Bios does not have option to enable VT.

Install VMWare 6.5 Beta build 99530 and tried to power up with JaS 10.5.2 in CD in VMWare but I get this error message.

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

post-174411-1218242787_thumb.jpg

ok, now I just get "Operating System not found." I do not have the JaS iso mounted or anything like that, do I have to do that first? If so, do you know how I'd do that in linux? Or how I hand-code the .vmx file so VMware will open it?

man

just change the Guest OS X from darwin to freebsd 64 bits.

I thought I had it sorted by using JaS 10.4.8 kexts but it doesn't work for me. Actually I have moved on now and no longer run JaS as I have been working on using retail Leopard on VMware. See this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=118663. If I get sound working it is likely to be documented there.

soung will not work until next version of vmware.

man

just change the Guest OS X from darwin to freebsd 64 bits.

Yes for hacked versions it is now better to use freebsd-64 or other-64 as the behaviour of darwin-64 has changed. You absolutely need darwin-64 if running vanilla retail Leopard though.

1. Using an ISO image of the JaS 10.5.2 installer DVD, connect it a boot time to the VMware session and allow VMware to boot the guest from it. You should see the boot prompt (image1.png) and then the Apple boot screen (image2.png).

what does this mean? i don't get it.

I have the jas 10.5.2 iso and vmware 6.5 beta

nevermind, downloaded the vmx and nvram stuff and it's installing now

okay i installed the mac but ethernet doesn't work. i did bridged networking and nothing shows up in network in system prefs. nat doesnt work either. my ethernet is atheros ar8121/ar8113 btw

With this parameter

ich7m.present="TRUE"

taken from http://sites.google.com/a/puredarwin.org/p...VMware-settings

it works better for me!!!

Eddi

Well I haven't updated this tutorial for awhile as I am now using retail Leopard on VMware. But the parameter you mention, which we use for retail, would make a difference as it allows Leo to see a better description of the virtual hardware.

Hi Donk

my CPU doesn't support Intel VT technology so there is anoter way to use VMware workstation 6.5 to install MAC OS X ?

thank you for your time

Have a nice day

Not possible as far as I know. I gueds one thing you could try is to take the vmx file and change:

guestos = "darwin-64"

to

guestos = "darwin"

Then when starting the DVD use the -legacy parameter to force 32-bit boot and install. Le tme know how it goes.

To all users following this thread:

If you want to continue using JaS that's fine, but you may be better off with the new template in the retail Leopard installation thread, as it was designed with WS 6.5 beta 2 in mind.

Hey guys,

before i begin, thanks Donk for the time and effort put into this. Anyways i got a HP Pav dv6500, with VT enabled and im using 6.5 beta workstation. Install went OK. but then when it restarts i receive this error:

"*** VMware Workstation internal monitor error ***

vcpu-0:ASSERT vmcore/vmm/cpu/segment.c:521 bugNr=19580

There is a problem in this version of VMware Workstation.

We rely on your feedback to improve the quality of our product. Please submit a support request that describes the problem at our Web page "http://vmware.com/info?id=8". Do not forget to attach the log file (C:\Users\Nathan\Documents\Virtual Machines\Jas10.5.2\vmware.log) and the core file(s) (C:\Users\Nathan\Documents\Virtual Machines\Jas10.5.2\vmware-core.gz, C:\Users\Nathan\Documents\Virtual Machines\Jas10.5.2\vmware64-core.gz, C:\Users\Nathan\AppData\Roaming\VMware\vmware-vmx-debug-4244.dmp).

To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We appreciate your feedback,

-- the VMware Workstation team."

After that it just restarts the Virtual Machine ???

Can't get past language selection.

I've tried everything posted here, different OSes, disabled everything but cdrom and hard drive. I can get to the language selection only if I run with -v cpus=1 -legacy using Other-Other OS but it doesnt go any further and no errors or messages. Also I enabled VT in my bios but vmware says it's not enabled.

I have Optiplex 755, 6gb ram, Core 2 Duo 2.66 VPro.

My vmware is 6.5 and I disabled debug with replacing the debug executable.

Ideas?