Tutorial: Install JaS 10.5.2 on VMware Workstation 6.5

218 posts in this topic

Not found a way to enable sound. Am working on it. Things have changed a bit since beta 2 of 6.5 came out and I am looking at new options to make this work.

As for the toolbar have you tried the Preferences Display tab and cleared the option to show the toolbar edge?

Hi all

I've solved my "Operating System not found" problem. There was no "Guest Operating System" selected in the VMware

configuration. I actually can't assign "MAC OS X 10.5 Leopard" because this entry isn't saved when leaving the configuration

dialog!? But it works fine with "FreeBSD 64bit".

Thanks to all for your input.

i got the same stupid error

and then i made a new VM with freeBSD 64 bits and used my old virtual disk and it worked...

ok it is just the SO guest type.. "darwin-64" doesnt work ... only "freebsd-64" dunno why...

VMWare version: 6.5 beta build 99530

after i startup the system i made a snapshot of the system

then i restarted my mac and i i get an error and it restarts...

i can only use my snapshot once.

capturarye9.th.jpg

fixed..

how to fix: install jas combo update 10.5.3

Use it to develop on as currently learning Mac programming. Works fine for me. Run Office 2008, Komodo IDE, XCode 3 and ReaaBasic Professional with no significant performance problems, although not as fast as my laptop booted up with OSX.

Quick note there is a new build of VMware Workstation 6.5 beta 2 out. It seems they have changed the support for OSX again, and I have a couple of issues with it. So stick with build 91182 rather than 99530 for now.

Use it to develop on as currently learning Mac programming. Works fine for me. Run Office 2008, Komodo IDE, XCode 3 and ReaaBasic Professional with no significant performance problems, although not as fast as my laptop booted up with OSX.

Quick note there is a new build of VMware Workstation 6.5 beta 2 out. It seems they have changed the support for OSX again, and I have a couple of issues with it. So stick with build 91182 rather than 99530 for now.

i installed my mac os in that version, you just need to change the guest OS type to freebsd-64, or it doesnt boot your installation.

after the installation make a snapshot. or you cant boot it again.

then you need to install jas update 10.5.3 and the system is bootable again.

do not install 10.5.4 from apple autoupdate or u will only boot with option mach_kernel.old and its very unstable.

tips for speed up your VM:

if u have 2 cpus/cores u can use 2cpus in cpu configuration

if your computer doesnt have so much run u can try to low the amount of your VM ram, try 512 (very good) or 1G

when you are creating the VM disk you can link it to a physical partition, this is the fastest way to run a VM.(i didnt test this)

Jonas

Hi

Yes I know there is a problem with boot. It looks like this is closer to the actual shipping code for supporting Darwin as a guest. It seems that a boot helper partition is needed as described at the Darwin/X86 site http://www.tgwbd.org/darwin/. And also explained here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288. Also you will get reminded that the VMware tools for Darwin cannot be found. Create a blank iso file and place it in the same folder as vmware.exe can be found.

The other tips are useful, but sometimes if only 2 cores a 2CPU machine can actually run slower than a single virtual CPU one. There has been much discussion of that on VMware forums over the last year. 1GB RAM is pretty useful, but as I have 4GB in my laptop bumped it to 2GB for the guest and it does work better.

Donk

Hi

Yes I know there is a problem with boot. It looks like this is closer to the actual shipping code for supporting Darwin as a guest. It seems that a boot helper partition is needed as described at the Darwin/X86 site http://www.tgwbd.org/darwin/. And also explained here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288. Also you will get reminded that the VMware tools for Darwin cannot be found. Create a blank iso file and place it in the same folder as vmware.exe can be found.

The other tips are useful, but sometimes if only 2 cores a 2CPU machine can actually run slower than a single virtual CPU one. There has been much discussion of that on VMware forums over the last year. 1GB RAM is pretty useful, but as I have 4GB in my laptop bumped it to 2GB for the guest and it does work better.

Donk

yes sometimes is good sometimes not, but there are another options you can play around,like intel-VT or automatic(i use intel-vt)

and lots of people doesnt have 4GB of ram yet, and i think 512 can run mac os X fast, i have 2GB in my laptop and i tested 512M and 1G and i think its almost the same.

but the key is the VM disk, if u speed up this Vhardware u can have a VM much more fast.

Another improvement is in graphic card drivers, but there are no drivers for the VMware graphics card :( (i think).

and u can just ignore the "darwin.iso" error.

Jonas

I agree that it can be run on lower levels of virtual RAM, but for coding in XCode you will need to give it as much as you can. I am going to have a go at booting a backup of my real iMac from a physical disk. Might be interesting!

ok i can change the resolution now :D!!!

how to change your resolution:

open terminal:

type sudo su

type password

type cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

type nano com.apple.Boot.plist

and now add the following lines:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280×800×32</string>

or another resolution.

save the file.

reboot!

-----

sound: we cant install it yet

I tried to get darwin.iso from vmware fusion 2 beta1, but the iso is empty :(

so we must wait until the vmware fusion 2 beta2 release to get that iso, we hope that it has the sound driver there :P.

One trick I have is to copy the com.apple.Boot.plist and have ones with different resolutions. Then at the boot command use config= parameter to switch them. Not entirely convenient as having VMware tools present, but allows me to pick a resolution depending on whether laptop is docked or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. After enabling the disc drive VMware Workstation 6.5 on my end attempts to boot off of it...and then kernel panics and I get the error that the CPU was "disabled by guest". I'm on an Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) here. I also used the files provided in the ZIP unmodified (except to change darwin-64 to freebsd-64 to get off the ground). Ideas? Thanks~

• 2 weeks later...

HI Donk

First of all, MANY MANY thanks for your help!!!

Second, I'm installing right now the Jas iso.

I successfully did an install some minutes ago, but on boot, I had a VMware crash.

I needed to delete the Vmachine create and I'm trying again.

I don't know wether this might be enough to get help from your experience.

Could you also explain what is VT?

I'm using a HP laptop Compaq nw8440.

Many thanks again.

PM

HI Donk

First of all, MANY MANY thanks for your help!!!

Second, I'm installing right now the Jas iso.

I successfully did an install some minutes ago, but on boot, I had a VMware crash.

I needed to delete the Vmachine create and I'm trying again.

I don't know wether this might be enough to get help from your experience.

Could you also explain what is VT?

I'm using a HP laptop Compaq nw8440.

Many thanks again.

PM

Would need to see what the crash was to help out. Can you post any screenshots?

VT are extensions in INtel processors to allow 64-bit operating systems to run virtualized in products such as VMware. Wihtout the extensions it isn't possible to run 64-bit OS. Unfortunately there are some models on Intel processors that still don't have those extensions, plus the PC manufacturer has to turn it on in the BIOS. SO some machiens come with VT enabled processor but no BIOS support. Hope that helps.

Would need to see what the crash was to help out. Can you post any screenshots?

VT are extensions in INtel processors to allow 64-bit operating systems to run virtualized in products such as VMware. Wihtout the extensions it isn't possible to run 64-bit OS. Unfortunately there are some models on Intel processors that still don't have those extensions, plus the PC manufacturer has to turn it on in the BIOS. SO some machiens come with VT enabled processor but no BIOS support. Hope that helps.

Hi again Donk

This is live: without any modifications in the bios, everything is working fine!!! :)

Same issue regarding the sound and the possibility to modify the screen resolution.

But that's fine as this will allow to code phone the iphone!!

MANY MANY THANKS to YOU and to JAS!!!

PM

I'm running vmware workstation 6.5 beta 99530 on linux. I've got the vmx files and the iso. When I boot the image, I get the message "Please wait for the DVD to load", and then get a prompt to insert a CD. I try to load the ISO, but VMware Workstation crashes. This happens as soon as I click VM->Removable Devices->CD/DVD(IDE)->Settings, and it also crashes if I try to click the main "Edit virtual machine settings" button.

Not sure what is causing the crash, it works fine for another vmware image I have.

Maybe I can get around this if someone can provide what the vmx settings look like after you've connected the ISO as a DVD.