Tutorial: Install JaS 10.5.2 on VMware Workstation 6.5

218 posts in this topic

Can't get past language selection.

I've tried everything posted here, different OSes, disabled everything but cdrom and hard drive. I can get to the language selection only if I run with -v cpus=1 -legacy using Other-Other OS but it doesnt go any further and no errors or messages. Also I enabled VT in my bios but vmware says it's not enabled.

I have Optiplex 755, 6gb ram, Core 2 Duo 2.66 VPro.

My vmware is 6.5 and I disabled debug with replacing the debug executable.

Ideas?

Did you physically remove power from the machine after changing the BIOS setting? This change requires a hard power cycle. Take the power cord out for 30 seconds then power up again.

Did you physically remove power from the machine after changing the BIOS setting? This change requires a hard power cycle. Take the power cord out for 30 seconds then power up again.

Yes several times and VMware is still saying it's not enabled. Does it matter that I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 as my main os and vmware in it? VT is just for running 64bit virtually, correct?

Yes several times and VMware is still saying it's not enabled. Does it matter that I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 as my main os and vmware in it? VT is just for running 64bit virtually, correct?

No it shouldn't matter. What specifically is your processor; that is the actual model number? There are some 64-bit Intel processors that do not have the VT extensions. Quick check of the VMware forums sugeests that you need to update the BIOS:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1010505?tstart=0

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=253423

Then do the enable and power reset.

No it shouldn't matter. What specifically is your processor; that is the actual model number? There are some 64-bit Intel processors that do not have the VT extensions. Quick check of the VMware forums sugeests that you need to update the BIOS:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1010505?tstart=0

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...p;fileid=253423

Then do the enable and power reset.

It's E6750 and I have the latest bios a10 and vt is an option in my bios and it's enabled. I power cycled it a few times and vmware still says its vt capable but says its not enabled. It said this on 6.02 and the current 6.5

It's E6750 and I have the latest bios a10 and vt is an option in my bios and it's enabled. I power cycled it a few times and vmware still says its vt capable but says its not enabled. It said this on 6.02 and the current 6.5

Sorry out of answers. I would take it over to the VMware forums, especially 6.5 beta one. There are usually VMware engineers hanging out there.

Has anyone installed successfully JaS 10.5.4 on this vmware image?

Thanks!

I've been trying to get JaS 10.5.4 or iATKOS v4i installed onto the recently updated VMWare 6.5 beta for the past week and keep hitting dead ends. I'm not an expert on the topic (like others in this forum are) but I've been through my share of hard core installs on Windows and Linux. This experience is now at the top of the :thumbsup_anim: list!

I admit, I'm also trying to push the boundaries to get optimal performance, so I've recompiled a "darwin.iso" and "darwin.iso.sig" so it should work on a non-server instance. From a bunch of research I've been doing, I believe I will be able to use this strategy to get VMWare to do a VMtools install just as it would for a 10.5.4 server installation.

At any rate, all of my attempts (following pcwiz and Donk articles) keep leading to an HDD that appears to have been properly staged and installed, yet it will not boot. I keep getting "Operating Sytem Not Found" after the installation is complete even with several attempts at using various install options for JaS, iATKOS, and Kaylan. Anyone care to shed some light? I'm hoping it's something really stupid like an advanced VMX property or something like that.

Anyone care to shed some light? I'm hoping it's something really stupid like an advanced VMX property or something like that.

For any of the Hackintosh versions do not use the darwin settings in VMX. That works really only for retail Leopard, as you will find in my other thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=118663. For anything other than retail Leopard, e.g. JaS, iATKOS use other-64, freebsd-64 or solaris-64 for the guestos setting in VMX file. This is for both Workstation 6.5 beta 2 and Fusion 2 beta 2. You will not need boot-132 solutions or need to use or re-generate darwin.iso for this scenario.

Ah ha. I figured it out. Just after enable/disable VT theirs an option for VT direct i/o and Trust VMM. THey need to be disabled.

Hope this helps anyone else in my situation.

Good find. Thanks!

Sadly no to Kalyway and Leo4All. I have yet to try Zephyroth.

I did an install with the kalyway 10.5.2 just a few minutes ago and it works. Which means, I can install it, I can boot it, access my USB disks and that's about it.

No network yet but I didn't really tried it. I have to boot with the speedstepkernel of this image, otherwise it just crashes at boot.

I also didn't use the image of the TS but created my own because I just saw this thread after I installed it. With intel VT on it is really really fast, it's like you work on a real mac but without QE/CI.

My specs:

MSI neo P45 with Q6700 and gigs ram.

I dedicated 1 gig to my VM.

I also works if I disable VT but then it's not as fast anymore.

I install the Jas 10.5.2 on VMware 6.5 successfully but I have a problem with the resolution and mouse.

the screen resolution is not changeable even I followed the instruction in the forum to add

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

there is still only one option1280x768x32

Another problem is the mouse cursor always lag and slow. I don't get any hint from google.

Many thanks in advance.

pengdaya

is there anyway to get this running on a amd machine its just at the grey apple logo now it has been for about half n hour

Not this version JaS 10.5.2 is Intel only. Look for an AMD version e.g. iATKOS 4a.

Ahh I had that problem with MacDrive. I actually used the ISO image directly inside VMware. You need to edit the CD-ROM setting and point to the ISO you downloaded and ensure it is connected at startup in the guest.

Host: Dell D620 laptop

Ahoi, Donk! Great to see someone out there with a D620 like me! The only difference is, I can't get JaS to work! Could you run through wha ou id to makeit work, please?

I have 'JaS OsX86 10.5.2 Intel SSE2 SSE3.iso', which hangs at apple logo screen.

Running 32-bit XP SP3

Any help would be most appreciated!

DONK! You are a champ, but I am having problems. I have a dell D620, running 32-bit XP SP3, but when I use JaS's .iso in VW WS 6.5, I hang at the apple logo. Any ideas would help!

Hi Donk,

ive tried running jas 10.5.2 on vmware 6.0.4 under linux, but everytime i get up to the grey apple screen it gives me a stack error and force me to shut down the virtual machine, this happens even with legal retail dvds. what could be the cause of it? ive also tried iATKOS 10.5.4 which i have successfully tried installing on external drive, but it gave me a colorful spinning mouse wheel of death before load up the welcome screen during intallation. could it be my virtual machine file not properly setup?

Donk, you champ! But it;s not working for me >___< I have a Dell D620 running XP SP3 32-bit, but when I load up JaS's .iso into VMware 6.5, I hang at the apple logo.

Can you help please!

Well I'm not working on this anymore, as I have retail Leopard working http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=118663. However, boot with the -v flag to get some output and we may be able to figure it out.

Hi Donk,

ive tried running jas 10.5.2 on vmware 6.0.4 under linux, but everytime i get up to the grey apple screen it gives me a stack error and force me to shut down the virtual machine, this happens even with legal retail dvds. what could be the cause of it? ive also tried iATKOS 10.5.4 which i have successfully tried installing on external drive, but it gave me a colorful spinning mouse wheel of death before load up the welcome screen during intallation. could it be my virtual machine file not properly setup?

You need VMware Workstation 6.5 beta 2.

Well I'm not working on this anymore, as I have retail Leopard working http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=118663. However, boot with the -v flag to get some output and we may be able to figure it out.

You need VMware Workstation 6.5 beta 2.

now that i have 6.5b2 running, but it still hangs in the spinning wheel, my longest wait was over 6 hours and it still doesnt load up the welcome page to let me install. the same thing happened even with the Darwin.vmx template u put in the other thread.

now that i have 6.5b2 running, but it still hangs in the spinning wheel, my longest wait was over 6 hours and it still doesnt load up the welcome page to let me install. the same thing happened even with the Darwin.vmx template u put in the other thread.

Do you have the output from a verbose boot. Use -v on Darwin boot command line.

It may be you don't have a supported processor. Can you give me the processor number? Also does the machine support VT-x extensions and are they enabled in the BIOS? Finally there does seem to be a known issue with current VMware beta builds that VMware are currently tracking internally, which can give this problem.

Do you have the output from a verbose boot. Use -v on Darwin boot command line.

It may be you don't have a supported processor. Can you give me the processor number? Also does the machine support VT-x extensions and are they enabled in the BIOS? Finally there does seem to be a known issue with current VMware beta builds that VMware are currently tracking internally, which can give this problem.

mine is Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33GHz on a vaio sz92s (equiv to sz48s) , which i have successfully installed iATKOS and kalyway on ( but as u may have expected, no wifi and problematic graphic card et sound card ).

the ss attached is what i get from rebooting after i got stuck at the wallpaper loading with a spinning mouse pointer, the Finder like menu never get to load up.

also with ur template vmx, the whole vmware terminates unexpectedly whenever i try to edit it within the program.

post-247844-1219663978_thumb.png

mine is Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33GHz on a vaio sz92s (equiv to sz48s) , which i have successfully installed iATKOS and kalyway on ( but as u may have expected, no wifi and problematic graphic card et sound card ).

the ss attached is what i get from rebooting after i got stuck at the wallpaper loading with a spinning mouse pointer, the Finder like menu never get to load up.

also with ur template vmx, the whole vmware terminates unexpectedly whenever i try to edit it within the program.

That looks like the known bug in VMware. RC1 has just been released which may fix it, but I haven't had time to check it out yet. The UI can't handle some of the parameters in the VMX file, which are for Fusion only, and so crashes. You'll have to hand edit it.