ALL Fan related issues HERE. Laptop fans, overheating, cold boot no fans +

00diabolic

Fan issues. Have them or not? How do you deal with them?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have experenced overheating due to fans not turning on on your laptop?

• YES I have to go through steps to get my fans on. See question below.
    • No I have no fan issues or I have intermitate fan issues.
  2. 2. What do you have to do to deal with your fan not turning on?

• Power unplug, or sleep trick. Seems to work on Toshibas
    • Reboot when temp reaches certain number to get bios to turn fans on. Only Lenovo option that works
    • I use software to handle my heat issues like coolbook because my fans never seem to spin fast when needed.
    • My fans are on 100% full blast and are loud all the time. So I never overheat but I'm also losing my hearing.
    • I found a kext that fixes my fan issues and I am not sharing the info with the 100's of affected users here. You suck SHARE your info.

260 posts in this topic

No, for me Model name also is MacPro 3,1 so i dont think it has to do with the information given in Sys Profiler.

I dont know if SMC_PlatformPlugin handles the fans in some way but the Info.plist looks pretty good. There something with CPU and GPU, maybe heat detection?

greettz

Well I think we are onto something here for sure. I also have a mac pro 3,1 and if you look under that the GPUThresholdDict is TA4 for the mac pro 3,1.

Under TA4 you see that the high-threshold <integer>87</integer>. The low-threshold is <integer>0</integer>. Interesting!

So with my x3100 graphics the CPU and graphics use the same fan as I only have one fan. So if I edited that number and got the fan to kick on for the GPU it might get my system a little cooler but as for turning the fan on during a cold boot i'm not sure.

Superhai I hope you can throw some ideas in here. I think were close to this thing.

There is an ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext.

If so, can you guys send it to me?

I did try the kextload thing, and then I just go "no such bundle file exists"...

:censored2:

Ztardust---- Do you have IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext? Look inside it at the plugins. Show package contents. Then look in /Contents/PlugIns/.

What plugins do you have in there? I think you have it and its just not loaded which is weird.

ANYONE ELSE------ I did some adjustments to my GPUThresholdDict inside ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext and it made no difference to my cold boot no fans issue. Seems to have no impact at all. Probably because this is for GPU and not CPU.

So its back to the drawing board for me. Can anyone tell me if there is any known way to solve this or am I just plain stuck with it like this?

Anyone else even have this cold boot zero fans issue. I would like to at least find another person who says they have this exact problem.

Right now I have to restart because my system is getting dangerously to hot from a cold boot this morning.

THANKS ALL

Sometimes from cold boot my fan does NOT kick in. Sometimes I can correct this AFTER it hits a certain temperature by putting my computer to sleep and waking it back up a couple of times, or sometimes rebooting. If I start into windows and then reboot back into Mac the fan always works, unless I kill the power by shutdown. But normally during cold boot my computer fan does not kick in, and proceeds to overheat until it reaches 100C where the kill switch engages to prevent CPU damage.

Hi,

I installed OS X 10.5.2 using Kalyway on an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60 and have issues with the fan not being active, too.

In SysProfiler the System is listed as MacPro3,1.

The kexts my system loads are as follows:

% kextstat | grep ACPI

18 11 0x1ae12000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.2.0) <12>

19 6 0x1ae60000 0x3d000 0x3c000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (1.1.0) <18 17 12 7 4>

27 0 0x20b54000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIEC (1.1.0) <26 19 18 12>

29 0 0x20d4b000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons (1.1.0) <21 19 18 7 6 5 4 2>

30 0 0x20de8000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (1.1.0) <19 18 17 12>

33 0 0x20f46000 0x2000 0x1000 org.tgwbd.driver.ACPIPS2Nub (1.0.0d1) <19 18 12>

62 0 0x1ad4c000 0xc000 0xb000 com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (3.1.5d3) <61 60 18 17 12 7 6 5 4>

69 0 0x20aa1000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPowerSource (1.0.5) <19 18 12>

70 0 0x2112d000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIThermal (1.0.5) <19 18 12>

90 0 0x21955000 0x5000 0x4000 com.OSx86Project.kext.ACPICPUThrottle (1.0.2) <12 5 4 2>

% kextstat | grep SMC

60 2 0x1ad35000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.driver.AppleSMC (2.0.1d2) <18 7 6 5 4>

62 0 0x1ad4c000 0xc000 0xb000 com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (3.1.5d3) <61 60 18 17 12 7 6 5 4>

Luckily my Thinkpad doesn't shut down due to thermal issues, it just gets painfully hot.

Sometimes from cold boot my fan does NOT kick in. Sometimes I can correct this AFTER it hits a certain temperature by putting my computer to sleep and waking it back up a couple of times, or sometimes rebooting. If I start into windows and then reboot back into Mac the fan always works, unless I kill the power by shutdown. But normally during cold boot my computer fan does not kick in, and proceeds to overheat until it reaches 100C where the kill switch engages to prevent CPU damage.

Interesting I never tried to use sleep on my machine because I really did not care about sleep to much. Since you mentioned sleep though I figured I try this trick. I went and enabled sleep on my machine and amazingly it worked so my machine does sleep and comes back from it which is cool. Never had sleep actually work before. :-)

However I let it sleep 4 times in a row to see if the fan would come on, the cpu throttled down to 800mhz and temp went down from 148F to 139F but after all four sleeps (15-25mins each) the fan never came back on. So once I started using it again the CPU throttled back up and temp climbed to above 150F and I restarted and as always the fan kicked right on as the system hit the bios. Then once I got back into OSX the fan does what it always does stays on and adjusts as it should based on temp.

Thanks for the idea GenMatrix if that had worked It would have been great.

Anyone else have an idea of how to deal with this?

Hi,

I installed OS X 10.5.2 using Kalyway on an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad T60 and have issues with the fan not being active, too.

In SysProfiler the System is listed as MacPro3,1.

Luckily my Thinkpad doesn't shut down due to thermal issues, it just gets painfully hot.

Cptsalek-- Thanks for posting & welcome to the forum.. Sounds like you have the same issue I do. Not sure what your specs are but my T7100 CPU is rated to get as hot as 100C which is approximately 225F. So I think that is when the system will shutoff to save the CPU. Mine has never gotten that hot nor do I ever want it to. It has gotten upto 208F though which was on a cold boot and I was not aware of it at first which is why I want to get this problem dealt with so bad.

Can you post your specs here? Since you also have a lenovo machine we have some similar specs so that helps.

Anyone else out there with this? Anyone have some ideas/suggestions of what we can try next.

I assume that the computer in your sig is the one with the fan problem correct?

If so then 150F for that CPU is not horrible (kind of high yes) at all UNDER LOAD (then again I could be wrong). I have a T7500 and when it gets under load it can get up to 143F (64Cish), my CPU auto shuts off @ 212F (100C) to prevent damage.

Is that what your computer does though? It will never kick on and just overload to the point the computer will just turn itself off?

Ztardust---- Do you have IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext? Look inside it at the plugins. Show package contents. Then look in /Contents/PlugIns/.

What plugins do you have in there? I think you have it and its just not loaded which is weird.

Alright, here are the plugins I have inside IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext:

PBG4_PlatformPlugin.kext

PBG4_ThermalProfile.kext

PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin.kext

PowerMac8_1_ThermalProfile.kext

PowerMac9_1_ThermalProfile.kext

PowerMac11_2_PlatformPlugin_kext

PowerMac11_2_ThermalProfile.kext

PowerMac12_1_PlatformPlugin.kext

PowerMac12_1_ThermalProfile.kext

RackMac3_1_PlatformPlugin.kext

Simple_PlatformPlugin.kext

SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin.kext

But that ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext is nowhere to be seen... :P

So, yes, if you got it, I sure would appreciate a copy... :D

Hey

I'll be posting my kextstat, ioreg, and kext's right now. Let me turn on my lappy, cause it does turns the fan on when it's starting to heat. (I use vanilla kernel 9.2.2).

Also, i've tried different SMBIOS, vanilla and modified. Everything works the same, just for the efinvram loading properly with vanilla smbios.

EDIT: Here's what i promised. I hope this becomes useful to someone.

mrn.zip

P.S: By the way... do you have powermanagement.bundle (modified) installed?

Thanks alot TheMarine, for those kexts...

It didn´t help my fans at all, they were completely dead after installing these kexts, but to my surprise suddenly the battery meter started functioning, and I got new options in the Energy Saver preferences... I have never gotten the battery meter working before, the system never even recognised if it was on battery or ac power before...

Another thing that happened was that the internal keyboard and trackpad stopped working.

Perhaps some combination of plugins from my old kexts and those kexts can get my system working better...

Anyhow, thanks alot for your help. ;)

Thanks alot TheMarine, for those kexts...

It didn´t help my fans at all, they were completely dead after installing these kexts, but to my surprise suddenly the battery meter started functioning, and I got new options in the Energy Saver preferences... I have never gotten the battery meter working before, the system never even recognised if it was on battery or ac power before...

Another thing that happened was that the internal keyboard and trackpad stopped working.

Perhaps some combination of plugins from my old kexts and those kexts can get my system working better...

Anyhow, thanks alot for your help. :)

You're welcome Ztardust.

I find curious that your battery meter started working, mine just worked after I installed a modified version of the Power Management.bundle.

Those kexts are all vanilla. The only thing I couldn't remember was that if I chose to remove Thermal kexts in the iAtkos installation, because seeing some of your AppleACPIPlatform you did have it inside.

By the way... what kernel do you use? (I'm a little lazy to search some posts up :P)

Did you read the ioreg? Maybe we could find something useful there. The cpu's got the so called in this post SMC plugin loaded, also the motherboard has a thermal zone (I think I saw it, I'm going to check out now).

I'll try to help in anything I can, this forum and you all have helped me in successfully installing my "DellBook".

Well, take care. I'll be checking this post asap.

EDIT: Did you tried including your ACPIPS2Nub? Maybe that'll make your trackpad and keyboard work. ;)

I assume that the computer in your sig is the one with the fan problem correct?

If so then 150F for that CPU is not horrible (kind of high yes) at all UNDER LOAD (then again I could be wrong). I have a T7500 and when it gets under load it can get up to 143F (64Cish), my CPU auto shuts off @ 212F (100C) to prevent damage.

Is that what your computer does though? It will never kick on and just overload to the point the computer will just turn itself off?

Yes thats correct my lenovo n200 is what has the no fans cold boot issue. Yeah I did the conversion wrong. 212F makes more sense as the shutoff temp.

Yes my computer never kicks the fan on at all unless its above 100F when at the bios screen. Then the fan kicks on and stays on all the way into the OS load. Then throttles up and down as needed to regulate the temperature correctly. I think the OS never bothers to do anything with the fan and thats what I want to correct.

If the bios/SMC does not detect a temp above 100F it will allow the OS to load and by that time it expects the OS to regulate temperature. It does not and thus I get overheating and have to restart.

I have never had a shutoff from an overheat but I've gotten real close to it with the temp at 205F which is dangerous I think and way to hot to have on your lap thats for sure.

I have the same issue on a Toshiba A205-s5825.

Fan wont turn on on cold boot, once it warms up I reboot it and the fan will work

perfectly turning on/off and running slow or fast.

You have the same issue cold boot no fan. I dont know what kind of altered kext we need. i have tested all sorts of fan apps, ACPIplatform kext and even looked at the ACPI_SMC kext and none of them have lead me to a solution as of yet. I'm not quite sure where to look now. I hope someone with some more knowledge can come and assist us lenovo and toshiba users as those appear to be the biggest group affected by this.

I also think a lot more people may not even notice they have this issue as they might just keep there systems on 24/7 or do very few cold boots.

@TheMarine-- Thanks for your help so far. Not sure what your background is but if you have some hints for us I would be glad to take a look and do testing. I had some ideas about this being Apple ACPI related but its inconclusive so far. Same with ACPI_SMC. However Superhai discovered some relatively simple hardware variations in my IOregistry that lead to me getting power mgmt to work (See sig for details). Perhaps getting the fan to work is as simple as finding a variation between the way lenovo and toshiba build laptops and the way apple does. If apple loads a kext and expects the hardware to answer back with a x01 and it gives a x81 that could be all it is but I have no idea where to look for fan entries in the registry.

If anyone else has this issue please post your hardware and details. If enough people mention this problem I think will get the attention of somebody like kalyway, jas or macgirl and maybe they can look into this. To me this does not seem like it should be all that hard as we have power mgmt working and to me that seems a lot harder then getting the fan to turn on and work properly.

Actually, OS X must be blocking some functionality (that is to say it is intentionally assuming control of the fans through ACPI but not actually doing anything with them) since if you run DOS or another OS which doesn't support ACPI, the fan still works properly. Personally, I would prefer no OS input and allow the system to continue managing the fan itself, for which the obvious solution would be to track down the KEXT which is attempting to control it and delete it.

The situation as it stands isn't really an issue for me; my N200 is only equipped with a T5250 and while the machine gets hot under load, it remains fully stable. In many ways, this is preferable to the machine's default fan control, where the fan appears to come on at about 45c (which is ridiculously low in my opinion.) However, I'd like to fix it as the fan sticks at high speed if I reboot from OS X (where the CPU has got hot) back into OS X.

[...]

@TheMarine-- Thanks for your help so far. Not sure what your background is but if you have some hints for us I would be glad to take a look and do testing. I had some ideas about this being Apple ACPI related but its inconclusive so far. Same with ACPI_SMC. However Superhai discovered some relatively simple hardware variations in my IOregistry that lead to me getting power mgmt to work (See sig for details). Perhaps getting the fan to work is as simple as finding a variation between the way lenovo and toshiba build laptops and the way apple does. If apple loads a kext and expects the hardware to answer back with a x01 and it gives a x81 that could be all it is but I have no idea where to look for fan entries in the registry.

If anyone else has this issue please post your hardware and details. If enough people mention this problem I think will get the attention of somebody like kalyway, jas or macgirl and maybe they can look into this. To me this does not seem like it should be all that hard as we have power mgmt working and to me that seems a lot harder then getting the fan to turn on and work properly.

Would you mind in posting your ioreg?

ioreg -w0 -l > ioreg.txt

I'm going to check what are the differences between my and your configuration.

@TheMarine

Here is my IOreg file for my lenovo n200 laptop.

I think there might be something useful here to do with fans. I thought the ACPI_SMC_platform kext might be it and it appears from what we talked about on IM that that is probably correct.

We might be close to this thing.. Ill keep everyone here posted on what me and the marine come up with.

ioreg.txt

EDIT: Did you tried including your ACPIPS2Nub? Maybe that'll make your trackpad and keyboard work. :P

The ACPIPS2Nub had some dependecy issues, so I took a look at the info.plist file, and there I saw that the version number for AppleACPIPlatform.kext was wrong(the one I got from you was 1.1.0 but the one I used before was 1.2.1), so I corrected that, and now my keyboard and trackpad are working.

When I booted my computer just now, it suddenly seemed like the fans were working perfectly(they were working on full power for a while, then slowed down, and then started working full power again). But, after a while they seem to be permanently stuck on slow again...

I use the ToH 9.2.2 kernel right now. I´ve been testing the 9.2.0 SpeedStep kernel also, but have the slowmotion problem with that one.

I attached my ioreg...

:D

ioreg.txt

Hey Ztardust, great that your fans started working. I use vanilla kernel, by the way. And... do you use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext?

I see something very particular that happens in your and 00Diabolic's ioreg.

I'll explain it:

Ztardust's ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:

| +-o CPU0@0 <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | +-o AppleACPICPU <class AppleACPICPU, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | +-o AppleACPICPUInterruptController <class AppleACPICPUInterruptController, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>

| | +-o ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin <class ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | {

| | "IOProbeScore" = 1000

| | "MCHThrottleArray" = ({"DTC_WAT"=0,"DTC_WAB"=32,"GTC_WAB"=0,"GTC_WAT"=15},{"DTC_WAT"=0,"DTC_WAB"=24,"GTC_WAB"=0,"GTC_WAT"=15},{"DTC_WAT"=0,"DTC_WAB"=16,"GTC_WAB"=0,"GTC_WAT"=15},{"DTC_WAT"=0,"DTC_WAB"=12,"GTC_WAB"=20,"GTC_WAT"=15}) | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin"

| | "IOPropertyMatch" = {"IOCPUNumber"=0}

| | "IOMatchCategory" = "IODefaultMatchCategory"

| | "IOPowerManagement" = {"CurrentPowerState"=1}

| | "IOHWCtrlLoops" = ({"current-meta-state"=0,"MetaStateArray"=({"Description"="Normal"},{"Description"="Reduced Power"},{"Description"="User Low Power"},{"Description"="User High Power"}),"ctrlloop-id"=0,"Description"="SMC CPU Control Loop","IOClass"="ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop"},{"current-meta-state"=0,"MetaStateArray"=({"Description"="Normal"},{"Description"="Reduced Power"},{"Description"="User Low Power"},{"Description"="User High Power"}),"ctrlloop-id"=2,"Description"="SMC Memory Control Loop","IOClass"="ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop"})

| | "IOProviderClass" = "AppleACPICPU"

| | "IOResourceMatch" = "ACPI"

| | "IOHWSensors" = ()

| | "IOEnvironment" = {"external-overtemp"=(),"internal-overtemp"=(),"chassis-switch"=No,"ctrlloop-output-at-max"=(),"control-failed"=(),"dynamic-power-step"=0,"ac-present"=Yes,"platform-flags"=<00000000>}

| | "IOHWControls" = ({"control-id"=10,"max-value"=0,"control-flags"=2,"location"="cpu plimit","current-value"=0,"min-value"=0,"type"="smc","registered"=No,"Desc-Key"="CPU_PLIMIT","target-value"=0,"IOClass"="AppleSMCControl"},{"control-id"=13,"max-value"=0,"control-flags"=2,"location"="cpu state","current-value"=0,"min-value"=0,"type"="smc","registered"=No,"Desc-Key"="CPU_STATE","target-value"=0,"IOClass"="AppleSMCControl"},{"control-id"=12,"control-flags"=2,"location"="mem plimit","current-value"=0,"type"="smc","registered"=No,"Desc-Key"="MEM_PLIMIT","target-value"=0,"IOClass"="AppleSMCControl"}) | | "IOClass" = "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin"

| | "PerformanceStateArray" = (<080700000000000064000000070000008a1430e08a040000>,<40060000000000006400000007000000081530e008050000>,<20030000000000006400000007000000801730e080070000>) | | }

00Diabolic's ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:

| +-o CPU0@0 <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | +-o AppleACPICPU <class AppleACPICPU, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | +-o AppleACPICPUInterruptController <class AppleACPICPUInterruptController, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>

| | +-o ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin <class ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | {

| | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin"

| | "IOHWCtrlLoops" = ({"current-meta-state"=3,"MetaStateArray"=({"Description"="Normal"},{"Description"="Reduced Power"},{"Description"="User Low Power"},{"Description"="User High Power"}),"ctrlloop-id"=1,"Description"="SMC GPU Control Loop","IOClass"="ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop"})

| | "IOHWSensors" = ()

| | "IOEnvironment" = {"external-overtemp"=(),"internal-overtemp"=(),"chassis-switch"=No,"ctrlloop-output-at-max"=(),"control-failed"=(),"dynamic-power-step"=0,"ac-present"=Yes,"platform-flags"=<00000000>}

| | "IOHWControls" = ({"control-id"=11,"max-value"=3,"control-flags"=2,"location"="gpu plimit","current-value"=0,"min-value"=0,"type"="smc","registered"=No,"Desc-Key"="GPU_PLIMIT","target-value"=0,"IOClass"="AppleSMCControl"},{"control-id"=14,"max-value"=3,"control-flags"=2,"location"="gpu state","current-value"=0,"min-value"=0,"type"="smc","registered"=No,"Desc-Key"="GPU_STATE","target-value"=0,"IOClass"="AppleSMCControl"}) | | "IOClass" = "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin"

| | "PerformanceStateArray" = (<09070000b88800000a0000000a0000002d0a00002d0a0000>,<08070000b88800000a0000000a0000002509000025090000>,<b0040000803e00000a0000000a0000001706000017060000>,<20030000b03600000a0000000a0000000f8800000f880000>) | | }

My ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:

| | {

| | "MCHThrottleArray" = ({"DTC_WAT"=0,"DTC_WAB"=32,"GTC_WAB"=0,"GTC_WAT"=15},{"DTC_WAT"=0,"DTC_WAB"=24,"GTC_WAB"=0,"GTC_WAT"=15},{"DTC_WAT"=0,"DTC_WAB"=16,"GTC_WAB"=0,"GTC_WAT"=15},{"DTC_WAT"=0,"DTC_WAB"=12,"GTC_WAB"=20,"GTC_WAT"=15}) | | "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin"

| | "IOHWCtrlLoops" = ({"current-meta-state"=0,"MetaStateArray"=({"Description"="Normal"},{"Description"="Reduced Power"},{"Description"="User Low Power"},{"Description"="User High Power"}),"ctrlloop-id"=0,"Description"="SMC CPU Control Loop","IOClass"="ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop"},{"current-meta-state"=0,"MetaStateArray"=({"Description"="Normal"},{"Description"="Reduced Power"},{"Description"="User Low Power"},{"Description"="User High Power"}),"ctrlloop-id"=2,"Description"="SMC Memory Control Loop","IOClass"="ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop"})

| | "IOHWSensors" = ({"version"=2,"zone"=<00000002>,"current-value"=6553600,"location"="GPU","polling-period-ns"=0,"polling-period"=1,"type"="gpu","registered"=Yes,"Desc-Key"="UNKNOWN_SENSOR","sensor-flags"=0,"sensor-id"=6})

| | "IOHWControls" = ({"control-id"=10,"max-value"=0,"control-flags"=2,"location"="cpu plimit","current-value"=0,"min-value"=0,"type"="smc","registered"=No,"Desc-Key"="CPU_PLIMIT","target-value"=0,"IOClass"="AppleSMCControl"},{"control-id"=13,"max-value"=0,"control-flags"=2,"location"="cpu state","current-value"=0,"min-value"=0,"type"="smc","registered"=No,"Desc-Key"="CPU_STATE","target-value"=0,"IOClass"="AppleSMCControl"},{"control-id"=12,"control-flags"=2,"location"="mem plimit","current-value"=0,"type"="smc","registered"=No,"Desc-Key"="MEM_PLIMIT","target-value"=0,"IOClass"="AppleSMCControl"}) | | "IOClass" = "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin"

| | "PerformanceStateArray" = (<83060000187900000a0000000a0000002b0a00002b0a0000>,<35050000f05500000a0000000a0000001f0800001f080000>,<e8030000c83200000a0000000a0000001306000013060000>) | | }

You both guys have no values defined in the IOHWSensors property. I do. Strange thing is, that you Ztardust, using the vanilla kext (i posted), could start fine your fan, but it then suddenly went low.

00Diabolic, does not has values for the IOHWSensors and MCHThrottleArray (It didn't even appeared).

What kernel do you guys use? AppleSMBIOS? How's your system recognized as?

I checked the ACPI_SMC_PluginPlatform Info.plist, and there they define some (i suspect) cpu controls for sensors and other stuff, based on the mac model.

C ya :glare:

Actually, OS X must be blocking some functionality (that is to say it is intentionally assuming control of the fans through ACPI but not actually doing anything with them) since if you run DOS or another OS which doesn't support ACPI, the fan still works properly. Personally, I would prefer no OS input and allow the system to continue managing the fan itself, for which the obvious solution would be to track down the KEXT which is attempting to control it and delete it.

The situation as it stands isn't really an issue for me; my N200 is only equipped with a T5250 and while the machine gets hot under load, it remains fully stable. In many ways, this is preferable to the machine's default fan control, where the fan appears to come on at about 45c (which is ridiculously low in my opinion.) However, I'd like to fix it as the fan sticks at high speed if I reboot from OS X (where the CPU has got hot) back into OS X.

Azurael-- Thanks for joining this discussion. You should also re-look at your BCM5906 thread in networking. If you ever had anything that people could work with/from I bet a lot of people would like to test it or see it. That thread has gotten a lot of attention.

Getting back to this topic. I would like your expertise on this also. TheMarine has really found some unique differences in IOreg data between people with working fans, and people without working fans, myself included. So I think were really freaking close. Ztardust now has at least partially working fans and thats HUGE.

@THEMARINE

Yeah there are a lot of differences. Thats what I saw last nite also when I was looking at IOREG.txt compared to mine. Now we just have to figure out which one of those differences actually controlles the fan or stops it from working or whatever. This is so cool. I think we got something here seeing as Ztardust has something working for him now.

@Ztardust what does cold boot do for you? Do you get fans then? I have been downloading a torrent for a few days and still need to restart and see if I get fans on cold boot. I am also using TheMarines ACPI_SMC_platform.kext. I think I wont have fans on cold boot but still gotta test it to see for sure.

THANKS again for all your help everyone.

@Ztardust what does cold boot do for you? Do you get fans then? I have been downloading a torrent for a few days and still need to restart and see if I get fans on cold boot. I am also using TheMarines ACPI_SMC_platform.kext. I think I wont have fans on cold boot but still gotta test it to see for sure.THANKS again for all your help everyone.

Yes, I just started the machine with cold boot, and the fans kicked in, and seemed to be working perfectly for a 3-4 minutes. They changed speed several times, but are now working on ca medium power.

It´s a bit weird that they seem to get stuck after a while(but now on medium power)...Do you have any programs like ColdBook or SMCFanControl or something like that working for you?

My machine usually freezes when I try ColdBook and gives me no resaults in SMCFanControl, but I´ll try them now since the Fans are partially working.

Edit: It´s the same as usual, ColdBook freezes my machine, and SMCFanControl doesn´t work.I assume those programs only work properly on Intel machines?

Edit2: It seems like the fan(s) become more active on cold boot, on warm boot they seem to just seem to get stuck on low fan-speed immediately.

Hey Ztardust, great that your fans started working. I use vanilla kernel, by the way. And... do you use AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext?I see something very particular that happens in your and 00Diabolic's ioreg.I'll explain it:Ztardust's ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:00Diabolic's ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:My ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin:You both guys have no values defined in the IOHWSensors property. I do. Strange thing is, that you Ztardust, using the vanilla kext (i posted), could start fine your fan, but it then suddenly went low.00Diabolic, does not has values for the IOHWSensors and MCHThrottleArray (It didn't even appeared).What kernel do you guys use? AppleSMBIOS? How's your system recognized as?I checked the ACPI_SMC_PluginPlatform Info.plist, and there they define some (i suspect) cpu controls for sensors and other stuff, based on the mac model.C ya ;)

I´m mostly using the ToH 9.2.2 Kernel, and 9.2.2 system kext.

My system is recognised as Mac OSX 10.5.2(9C31), Model Name: MacBook, Identifier: MacBook2,1

And my machine has a AMD processor(AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-56), and perhaps this is what is complicating things here a little bit. I haven´t managed to get any thermal monitoring program to work, for an example.

I am not using the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and I assume it wouldn´t work on my machine since it´s not an intel machine..?Is there something else I might be missing?

I would be happy, if I just could somehow get the Fans to work on full-speed all the time.

Yes, I just started the machine with cold boot, and the fans kicked in, and seemed to be working perfectly for a 3-4 minutes. They changed speed several times, but are now working on ca medium power.

It´s a bit weird that they seem to get stuck after a while(but now on medium power)...Do you have any programs like ColdBook or SMCFanControl or something like that working for you?

My machine usually freezes when I try ColdBook and gives me no resaults in SMCFanControl, but I´ll try them now since the Fans are partially working.

Edit: It´s the same as usual, ColdBook freezes my machine, and SMCFanControl doesn´t work.I assume those programs only work properly on Intel machines?

Edit2: It seems like the fan(s) become more active on cold boot, on warm boot they seem to just seem to get stuck on low fan-speed immediately.

I´m mostly using the ToH 9.2.2 Kernel, and 9.2.2 system kext.

My system is recognised as Mac OSX 10.5.2(9C31), Model Name: MacBook, Identifier: MacBook2,1

And my machine has a AMD processor(AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-56), and perhaps this is what is complicating things here a little bit. I haven´t managed to get any thermal monitoring program to work, for an example.

I am not using the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, and I assume it wouldn´t work on my machine since it´s not an intel machine..?Is there something else I might be missing?

I would be happy, if I just could somehow get the Fans to work on full-speed all the time.

Hmm... strange that your processor being AMD shows the mch property, at the opposite of 00D, who has a intel one.

I'll try to find out how that properties are get, and from where. If anyone has that knowledge, i'll thank him(her) too.

Cya

Hmm... i got something strange playing with superhai's SMBIOS (downloaded from his website), macdotnub's one (27 rev 6) and 1.0.12 (EFI ver).

With superhai's one, the model's hardcoded to a MacBookPro4,1. On the other hand, the mac.nub's i used is the macbook one (MacBook2,1 - 27 rev 6 / MacBook3,1 - 1.0.12 EFI). With mac.nub's I have the MCHThrottleArray property, with superhai's i don't. Curious that the macbook2,1 is defined in ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext, and the MacBookPro4,1 (the same that's defined in 00Diabolic's ioreg), does not.

I saw that Ztardust uses a SMBIOS that hardcodes his model as MacBook2,1, same as the one i'm using. And he does got it, opposite to the case of 00D, who does not.

EDIT: Just tried another SMBIOS, from mac.nub, i found it on another place of this forum (can't remember where), and this loads properly efinvram, like the vanilla (just for the records). I even have more values on the IOHWControls on ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin. Got 3 with mac.nub 27 rev6, 2 with superhai's, 5 with mac.nub efi version 1.0.12.

Also, in IOHWSensors, the sub-property ,"Desc-Key" now has the value "GPU" (using mac.nub 1.0.12), instead of "UNKNOWN_SENSOR" with the other two.

God damn this is strange.

I'll post those SMBIOS here.

AppleSMBIOS.EFI.1.0.12.macdotnub.zip

AppleSMBIOS_MacBook.zip

AppleSMBIOS_superhai.kext.zip

Thanks to superhai and mac.nub for making this moded AppleSMBIOS. All credits to them.

C ya!

I can always change the AppleSMBIOS so it is identified as MacBookPro3,1 or anything else if it helps you. I didn't bother much about this, as on my laptop the fans work properly.

Hi superhai! I'm pleased to have you here.

Well, all these things we've tried may sound strange, but, work that way. At least, the test i've done.

I also have my fans working properly, no matter which smbios I use. (I have a dell notebook too).

What can you suppose is happening in this matter?