Which video card gives best Final Cut Pro / Studio FCS2 performance?

bobdotorg

20 posts in this topic

This weekend I'll be building my first Hackintosh (HTPC), and if it works ok I'll start putting together a Final Cut Pro Hackintosh to edit High Def HDV 1080i footage I've shot.

I'm pretty much set on everything but the video card:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4

Core 2 Quad Q6600

4GB 1066 RAM (2*2 Dual Channel?) (will 8GB help much in Final Cut Studio?)

I'll stick to a video chipset that's in a current Mac, so I'm looking to get either an Nvidia 7600GT, 8600T, 8800GT or ATI HD2600XT.

I know that the 8800 beats the 8600 beats the 7600 beats the 7300, but how much of that processing power does Final Cut actually use?

Will Final Cut be able to take advantage of two GT's running in SLI?

Anyone have any idea how a Q6600 system would stack up against a Mac Pro Quad 3 GHz (two double cores) in Final Cut performance?

I would be grateful for any insights.

I've seen a few bakeoffs with MacPros using the different card configurations, and there was a significant difference in times to complete tasks.

I'm just curios if the difference will be more or less significant when moving from a MacPro to a HackPro.

I have a cheap 7300gt for the HTPC and am leaning towards an 8800GT for the Final Cut box. It did better in the MacPro Final Cut bake-off than the stock ATi card.

I've been reading about some of the cheap dual quad Hackintoshs and my credit card is getting worried.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Bobdotorg,

I'm going to build a hackintosh next month and was looking at a very similar setup to yours, same mobo, cpu and the 8800gt. I also wanted to use it for Final cut, motion etc.

How did you get on? which GPU did you go for.

cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an x1950 pro (QE & CI working) and, I really can't see how the gpu is used in Final Cut. All efects and transitions take a lot of cpu, and in fact many transition can't even run in real time via firewire output in my E6600. So I think, at the moment, GPU acceleration is very underused in FC. FC still being a lot more dependant on cpu than gpu. I think the gpu is just used in colour correction, but almost nothing else, or if it's really used, they didn'nt optimize the code enough.

So I think, at the moment, GPU acceleration is very underused in FC. FC still being a lot more dependant on cpu than gpu. I think the gpu is just used in colour correction, but almost nothing else, or if it's really used, they didn'nt optimize the code enough.

Yes, you are absolutely right, not only for FCP but also Premiere etc...

The video-card has very little effect on the speed/efficiency of video-editing programs, they are all CPU intensive.

There are some very expensive high-end cards with Quatro archictecture especially for AfterEffects, as well as the usual other devices that mostly deal with data-transport (Decklink, etc)...

so the bottom line is: don't really matter which video-card you stick in your machine, unless your are dealing with high-end post production formats.

:D

Yes, Final Cut Pro doesn't care much about the graphics card. But the Final Cut Suite sure has applications which depend on a powerful graphics card. Color for example is very graphics card hungry and so is Motion. If you also use Shake, you better have a good card. The question is what is best, the HD2600 XT or the 8800 GT ?

• 2 months later...

Since you have a Q6600 you should research a "QuickCluster" using Compressor and Qmaster. Esentially each instance of compressor uses 2 cores max. The quickcluster will create 2 instances and use all 4 cores. You need 1GB ram per core.

Until Apple takes advantage of the Nvidia CUDA GPU acceleration. Which would in turn probable make your GPU th most valuable piece of equipment in you box.

Hurry up Apple!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Since you have a Q6600 you should research a "QuickCluster" using Compressor and Qmaster. Esentially each instance of compressor uses 2 cores max. The quickcluster will create 2 instances and use all 4 cores. You need 1GB ram per core.

Until Apple takes advantage of the Nvidia CUDA GPU acceleration. Which would in turn probable make your GPU th most valuable piece of equipment in you box.

Hurry up Apple!

hey mate, this caught my eye, i've had a lot of problems with getting FCP 6 and 5 working with my setup (q6600, 4gb ram, 8800gts 512mb on a gigabyte E35-DS3R) One of the problems i've had is that audio is often out of sync in that, if u press the play button (and i'm using aiffs here) he seek animation will play through the wave graphic but sound doesn't play till about 1-2 second sin, there is also no audio scrubbing, i'm really at a loss as to what to do with it, any insights would be greatly appreciated

• 10 months later...

hi dear

i wanna ask u

u have this card

xfx GeForce 8600GT 256MB r this card is good i performance

bcuz i ll use it in editing and make graphic on videos

so plz really i need ur advice

r this card is good for final cut

and wt's good osx86 for it ?

and wt is it need to setup in good way in this components

GIGABYTE EP45 - UD3R

Q 6600 Core 2 Qude 2.4 G / 8M PC 1066

XFX 8600GT 256MB DDR3

Kingston HyperX DDR2 2GB bus 1066MHz

Western Digital 500GB AACS 16M Cache SATAII

DVD W -ASUS X20 SATA

Power supply 500 w

so please add me in messanger or in facebook

i am filmmaker

dir.ramadan@hotmail.com

• 6 months later...

Hey I have Final Cut Pro 3 Upgrade working with the configuration in my sig and it works really good, MY wife who has worked on an IMAC System in the past says it is a big differnce in rendering, In compressor i am not sure sure, but while it is compressing i can do alot of other task. I wil update as i look to create a BluRay disk.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey I have Final Cut Pro 3 Upgrade working with the configuration in my sig and it works really good, MY wife who has worked on an IMAC System in the past says it is a big differnce in rendering, In compressor i am not sure sure, but while it is compressing i can do alot of other task. I wil update as i look to create a BluRay disk.

What did you have to do to get your gfx card working? After an update or two ago, my FCP takes a second to catch video up to the audio. Annoying! So looking at prices, 100 bucks or so wouldn't be a bad buy if it's not too hard to get going. Looks like our systems are similar.

• 2 weeks later...
This weekend I'll be building my first Hackintosh (HTPC), and if it works ok I'll start putting together a Final Cut Pro Hackintosh to edit High Def HDV 1080i footage I've shot.

I'm pretty much set on everything but the video card:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4

Core 2 Quad Q6600

4GB 1066 RAM (2*2 Dual Channel?) (will 8GB help much in Final Cut Studio?)

I'll stick to a video chipset that's in a current Mac, so I'm looking to get either an Nvidia 7600GT, 8600T, 8800GT or ATI HD2600XT.

I know that the 8800 beats the 8600 beats the 7600 beats the 7300, but how much of that processing power does Final Cut actually use?

Will Final Cut be able to take advantage of two GT's running in SLI?

Anyone have any idea how a Q6600 system would stack up against a Mac Pro Quad 3 GHz (two double cores) in Final Cut performance?

I would be grateful for any insights.

you will have nothing but problem if you use ati

• 5 weeks later...
What did you have to do to get your gfx card working? After an update or two ago, my FCP takes a second to catch video up to the audio. Annoying! So looking at prices, 100 bucks or so wouldn't be a bad buy if it's not too hard to get going. Looks like our systems are similar.

See the sig for the card it is a pny 9800gtx nvidia 1gb ram ddr3 used an efi string to get work. It is very good.