All AHCI ports recognized on ICHx ! (yep in AHCI, not IDE)

91 posts in this topic

Yes, just add your ICH7 vendor id in AppleAHCIPort.kext/Contents/MacOS/Info.plist, replacing the old vendor id from apple with yours.

easy to say!!! but unfortunately I am totally new to mac os and hackintosh so you are talking chinese to me! :wacko:

First I have to learn how to get the vendor id, then I should put it in the plist! LOL, I think I am fine with the unknown controller!

Ah let me thank you for your wonderful job with Geforce 8800GT installation, I followed agrafuese guide (based on your work) and it's ok now! thank you!

So this works perfect for seeing all six SATA disks connected to my board if I put it in AHCI mode, but is there a way to get 10.5.2 to see them if they are in RAID mode? I configured all six of them as a RAID array in the BIOS, not in Windows.

@cyclonefr: I have a ga-p35-ds3l and im using 3 of the 4 satas.

sata 1: hd with 10.5

sata 2: hd with vista

sata 3: dvd rw

I was using 10.5 today and had to burn a dmg into a dvd. Used disk utility to burn the image but I wont burn, "dvd is being used by another application" and "dvd drive is not able to burn image".

Turned off the box and put the dvdrw drive on sata2. Disk utility is currently burning the image while writing.

Had anyone have experinced this? Anyone using a dvd drive on sata 3 or 4?

Have a nice weeked guys, respect.

My setup is the following:

sata 1: hd with leopard

sata 2: hd with media/work files (formated as HFS+)

sata 3: hd with vista/xp/linux

sata 4: dvd +rw dl

All is working good. For pc specs see my sign

hope this helps

Hi

I did a fresh installation witht the retail guide and everything works smoothly now. Also thanks to those ICH9R kexts. I even managed to get PS/2 support back.

Now all the drives have a grey disk icon. Unfortunately some of my disks are removable drives and when I want to remove them I have to enter an admin password. Is it possible to just have certain ports defined as removable drives?

I also have a few SATA-CF readers. The cards are not recognized when plugged in. Where can I define them as removable media?

Can we use the added device infos in the new 10.5.3 kexts ?

I didnt used this before.

Updated from 10.5.2 to .3 , using 10.5.2 HD .kexts.

Question:

I have an MSI P965 NEO-F

Device IDs of my INtel SATAs:

2820:8086, Intel 8201H (IHC8) 4 Port SATA IDE Contr

2825:8086, Intel 8201H (IHC8) 2 Port SATA IDE Contr

Whats the difference between them (confuseing because also JMICRO has one SATA in my board)?

I know there are 2 or 3 .kexts i must add / change dev-ID in their info.plists.

I looked in but not in all are those IDs already listed.

On my Board the is one SATA connection which is controlled by JMICRO (i dont use that)

and 4 SATA connections i think controlled by INtel .

How can i use them on ICHX ?

How can i see in which mode (the ICHX Mode or the other (i dondt now how you all it) they are used ?

I added my Systemprofiler output of the Serial ATA .

MY DVD is on the ATA (IDE) JMIRCO i know thats not good, will buy sometimes an SATA DVD.

Thanks

Hi there,

maybe I should clarify that not all ICHx support AHCI (like the standard ICH7 e.g aka 82801GB), there's no option for it in BIOS and I've read on intel's specifications that only ICH7-M, ICH7DH or ICH7R supplies AHCI support.

And yes, it may be old but it's still used in a lot newer motherboards (like P5GC-MX/1333, great board btw. supporting 45nm cpus).

So the title seems to be a bit misleading ;)

Hi, i looked in the CYCOLNE FIR AHCI package (3 .kext, AppleAHCIPort+IOAHCIFamily+IOATAFamily.

Confusing:

I looked in each .plist for Device IDs of Intel CH8 .

My MSI P965 NEOF-F Intel CH8 has:

2820:8086, Intel 8201H (IHC8) 4 Port SATA IDE Contr

2825:8086, Intel 8201H (IHC8) 2 Port SATA IDE Contr

I found in AppleAHCIPort.kext : ICH8 2824 , ICH8R 2821 and ICH8M 2829,

but NO 2820 or 2825 (its me!)

Where i found in IOATAFamily/Plugins/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext :

ICH8 2 Port Serial ATA : 2825 (OK, its me!)

ICH8 Serial ATA: 2820 (OK, its me!)

This is confusing !!!

Why can i find my CH8 Dev-IDs only in AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext , not in AppleAHCIPort ?

Can i add my

2820:8086, Intel 8201H (IHC8) 4 Port SATA IDE Contr and

2825:8086, Intel 8201H (IHC8) 2 Port SATA IDE Contr also to AppleAHCIPort.kext ?

Do AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext and AppleAHCIPort.kext need each other OR is ppleAHCIPort.kext an addition to AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext.

Has AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext to do with native AHCI SATA or only for other modes needed (non AHCI)

Wait, so do I install Leopard with AHCI off, install these kexts, then reboot with AHCI on?

Or do I turn AHCI on before installing Leopard, then once I boot to the desktop for the first time, install the kexts before my memory usage gets over 3 gigs?

Different dev id's when you are running in AHCI mode.

Ah , i understand.

The PC-Bios sets the AHCI Mode and CH8 becomes other Dev-IDs.

So my MSI Board, which has no AHCI Option in BIOS will not switch to this mode, even the Chips (Intel Chips) would do that if the BIOS make something ?

Question:

It may be the HIGH UMDA Mode 5, that be an problem (timing).

Kernel panic mostly comes up when large / high transferof file (Cloning!).

Normaly work with HD didnt give kernel panic.

So can somebody (which made this AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext (within IOATA.familiy) limit UMDA to 4 ?

Would give no big performance problems on normal work and work with small files.

I found that in AppleIntelPIIXATATiming.h it may the easiest way to change that.

change line

{ 5, 1, 16, 1, 20, kPIIX_PCI_IDECONFIG_FAST_PCB0 }

into

{ 5, 2, 8, 2, 30, kPIIX_PCI_IDECONFIG_PCB0 } (same as 4)

static const PIIXUDMATiming

piixUDMATiming[] =

{

/* Mode CT RP UDMATIM Cycle U-DMA Clock */

{ 0, 4, 6, 0, 120, 0 },

{ 1, 3, 5, 1, 90, 0 },

{ 2, 2, 4, 2, 60, 0 },

{ 3, 3, 8, 1, 45, kPIIX_PCI_IDECONFIG_PCB0 },

{ 4, 2, 8, 2, 30, kPIIX_PCI_IDECONFIG_PCB0 },

{ 5, 1, 16, 1, 20, kPIIX_PCI_IDECONFIG_FAST_PCB0 }

};

Sure, would be better to change/limit UMDA to Mode 4 in some .cpp code, because

IOREGISTRY would show UMDA 5 Mode, and we didnt know if it is an Patched Mode 5 (to 4)

Hey,

I too am looking to update to 10.5.3 and am concerned about ahci problems. Installed using iatkos 2, and everything worked well on vanilla (except sound and lan). However, tried updating to 10.5.3 via netkas' method last night and bricked my system because I was getting an ahci related error on boot (something involving something being incorrect superclass or something like that...) I found a fix that involves 10.5.2 kexts, but it left my system somewhat unstable and I'd like to use all 10.5.3 kexts if possible. Do these device id fixes work for 10.5.3? I'm using ICH9r on an asus p5e board...

Edit: Please ignore my sig, this was an old system...

I'm currently running in Compatibility mode after updating to 10.5.3.

I'm on a Thinkpad R61 running ICH8 with a 965 Mobile Express Chipset. I really am not entirely aware of what is going on regarding these. Additionally, what are the benefits from AHCI? Could these be related to my computer idling hot?

• 2 weeks later...
The topic says it all.

I just grabbed some kexts from new 10.5.2 from new macs (some kexts have been updated) and noticed the new AHCI kext gave me support for all my ICH9 ports in AHCI (I flashed my P5K with P5KR bios to have AHCI...) so if you don't wanna use IDE Enhanced + DuNe hacked IOATAFamily, here is a small pack with some updated kexts, including the 4 ports patched IOATA from DuNe if you still wanna use IDE.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1mnbxlxtvib

Here you are, enjoy ! :D

EDIT : If you are running 10.5.3, these files are useless.

Thank you Cyclonefr. Solved for me as well on 965P-DS3 v3.3. So all four yellow ports work (Enabled as AHCI). Jmicron disabled. Solved memory freezes as well above 4GB. :(

For people, who were getting yellow external drive icons or Unknown AHCI controller, I have attaching my modified kexts (for all ICHs including ICH9 and ICH9R) here. These are AHCI and IOATA kexts only. If you need the other USB kexts from cyclonefr, then you can download from his link to get those as well.

AHCI_kexts_modified.zip

Edit: Enable AHCI mode and native 0-3 ports (first two lines in BIOS). Disable that troublesome junky jmicron controller, referred something as "Onboard SATA/IDE device" (two lines way below in the bios) if you get any memory freezes like me.

I can confirm that this works on a GA-965P-DS3 Rev. 3.3, on 10.5.4 and all current updates/etc. Full AHCI, ICH8, all my orange ports, and with LioNEXT's kexts, regular hard drive icons. My purple ports work too, but I just have a CD-ROM hooked up to it. All my drives are on the orange ports and on the IDE bus. I applied the first set of kexts, and then the second. It was probably overkill, but it didn't hurt. So, do as you will.

Big ups to Cyclonefr and LioNEXT! Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

P5K-VM (ICH9) with 10.5.4 is working!

I am running a KalyWay 10.5.2, upgraded to 10.5.3 using KalyWay Combo upgrade and upgraded again using 10.5.4 Apple Update Software. I had to dig a bit to find my device id, but it worked.

I have also tested the ACHI-ICH9 driver from a Macbook running 10.5.4... it also works, but I got the orange disk icon!

Good stuff Cyclone! Merci mec!

I can make my .kext available.... Just ask!

• 2 months later...

to fix the "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller", on P5W-DH, I applied this method (Thanks Cyclonefr :D ):

I just put " 0x29238086" as Vendor Name in the Info.plist of AppleAHCIPort.kext (See below).

Apparently it is working, but not completly... So the real solution is to found the real vendor id of my devices:

------> How To Do That, Please..... (edit) Ok , Sorry HERE.. Search Befor Ask... B)

So, for the moment I have that:

ahci_screen.tiff

<key>GenericAHCI</key>

<key>ICH6 ESB2 AHCI</key>

<key>ICH7MAHCI</key>

<key>ICH8MAHCI</key>

---> <key>Vendor Name</key>

hello. i have kalyway leopard 10.5.3 installed on an asus p5k motherboard. now the problem is, that leopard doesn't detect my ide-drive. to make this more understandable: my drives: 1: sata2-320gb-windows: leopard can read that, 2: sata2-500gb-leopard: no problem, 3: ide-80gb-datas: os x doesn't detect it all.

please help me, what shall i do?