1,860 members have voted

1. 1. How do you say the "X" in OS X?

• X...as in the letter.
    • 10...as in the number.

300 posts in this topic

1. Lin-ix

2. Cash

Correct.

For anyone that's seen Revolution OS, you know how Linus Torvalds pronounces it, which is, of course, lin-ix, as stated above.

"Cash" is also correct, as can be proven by visiting www.dictionary.com.

I know that some of you are just used to saying "OS EX" and pronouncing Linux and cache incorrectly, but it is wrong to say it any other way. :)

Smirk on, my friend.

Smirk on.

I used to refer to it as OS-eX, as in 'the Ex-OS', until it hit 10.2, at which point it became marginally usable.

Once it hit Panther, it can be proudly refered to as 'OS 10'.

Besides eliciting smirks from Mac users, you're really just shining the light on your apparent ignorance to simple things, like being able to read latin numerals... Yes, unjustified impression, but no different than considering southern people (US) to be unintelligent.

Your choice, of course.

I read something the other day that told the correct way to say OS "X," but I think it's wrong.  Do you say it as "X" or "10?"

Neither nor. "NeXTSTEP 6".

I definately say OS - EX, It sounds cool!

And i say cashay fro cache for some reason... i am weird! By the way, im English so i have no problem pronouncing words properly.

Apparently, that is not so. By the way, it doesn't sound cool - it makes you sound, well, uneducated...

I know that some of you are just used to saying "OS EX" and pronouncing Linux and cache incorrectly, but it is wrong to say it any other way. ;)

Not necessarily wrong - everyone has the right to make a fool of themselves, or to illustrate their level of illiteracy.

Neither nor. "NeXTSTEP 6".

Oh, look, Mom, a neanderthal...

hehe I dont care HOW you all say it as long as you dont ever, ever, ever, verbalize "Microsuck" or anything other variant of that garbage.

It's almost as bad as overhearing my younger cousing talking to his friend and then sayings "Jay Kay" (j/k)

I wanted to punch him in the throat

hehe I dont care HOW you all say it as long as you dont ever, ever, ever, verbalize "Microsuck" or anything other variant of that garbage.

It's almost as bad as overhearing my younger cousing talking to his friend and then sayings "Jay Kay" (j/k)

There's nothing wrong with doing that (saying "jay kay"). He was just exploring the functionality of our language. No matter if you consider it "n00b" or stupid.

There's nothing wrong with doing that (saying "jay kay").  He was just exploring the functionality of our language.  No matter if you consider it "n00b" or stupid.

Sure, there might be nothing wrong with it, but I still would have liked to hit him :D

Microsuck Windows :D

(offtopic)

I think the reason they used roman numeral X (10) is because it looked cool. For the real smart people out there it appealed to them because it was a classic way of thinking the "old" way of seeing numbers. for others they think hey that LOOKS cool but I know what it means cause I used OS 9. And then there are people who didnt even know there was an OS 9 and just say HEY that is a cool sounding name. OS X (as in the letter). I think it is just super smart advertising. They got it together with the advertising. So if they call it OS 10 then so it is when verbalized BUT when written out it just looks damn cool to call it OS X. See? Smart guys those marketing people are in Cupertino.