iATKOS and OSx86 (FAQ)

SMCentral

231 posts in this topic

MAJOR EDIT: iATKOS does NOT come with netkas pc_efi but they have complied their own efi, however this does still mean that you can have updates from official Apple Servers via Software Update - This is great news!

What is so special about iATKOS?

Well, it is one of the first FULLY patched Leopard v10.5.1 releases. It is also known to have a preinstalled complied efi which means that you can install legit Apple Updates without downloading any patches or 3rd party software and also you can stop worrying about reboots hanging on the "Loading Darwin" screen. It is known as a "White Box" install, this basically means that all you have to do is create a partition, format the partition and away you go without any other edits to your system configs and files. It is said to be a "fool proof" install, this means that you should not be running into any errors.

So what is different?

Another change to this Leopard version is that, it is 2.5GB and if you downloaded other versions you may have noticed they were 4GB. The reason why it is 2.5GB (When uncompressed) because they have slimmed the system down, meaning you won't have any non-useful kexts and other bits and bobs loading or taking up space, they also have removed the PPC code.

Anything else to add?

This version is also said to be containing all the files, kexts, patches we need! I am guessing that this version is going to work on people's computers whom may have trouble installing ToH's version.

Others have also said, you shouldn't be experiencing any problems with any programs you may wish to install (people have stated that installing Photoshop or Adobe products damages their install; This version (iATKOS promises not to have problems with software).

Also all files etc are all vanilla.

What are the differences between v1.0i and v1.0u?

There is two major differences, there has been developments of booting to original kernel with a modified bootloader and that is has been revised more! v1.0i is the only one that has been released to the public.

As I understand it the "i" indicates Intel only code (as in Intel vs PPC, not Intel vs AMD), hence the smaller file size of 2 gigs, and the "u" indicates universal which will probably run the older mac stuff (PPC) and be a 4 gig download. Uphuck and Co did this with their last release but used different letters. v1.3 was "universal" and their other tiger releases were Intel code only.

Wiki..

Vanilla means unmodified files aka legit files from Mac OS X Leopard.

ToH is a guy whom have created many OSx86 versions (A simple search on the forums will give you more information about him)

PPC is PowerPC files...(I'm not quite sure, can someone give more information about this?)

White Box install, this basically means that all you have to do is create a partition, format the partition and away you go without any other edits to your system configs and files.

EFI, this is something that integrates into your bootloader which allows you to upgrade to official apple versions so when 10.5.2 comes out in Jan 08 - you can upgrade to it the same time as legit Mac users.

Extras..!

For the unexperienced, when attempting to install OSx86, please install CPU-z and MAKE SURE your system either supports SSE2, SSE3 (SSE3+ for iATKOS) before going to install and versions of OSx86.

A great guide can be found @ http://coolblog.profit42.com/2007/07/03/up...ual-boot-guide/ - The guide is about installing a dual boot system with OSx86 and Vista.

The OSx86 wiki is very helpful, please search the forums and the wiki before asking anything or requesting anything. The wiki is located @ http://wiki.osx86project.org/

Questions

Is there an ETA on SSE2 support?
As of now, there is no SSE2 or AMD support. It is said that an AMD and an SSE2 version will come around early 2008, I can't promise anything.

I will do more research on ETA support

Hi.

I'm new to this Mac-on-whitebox thing. It says that the packages on the DVD have been slimmed down; will it be possible to manually install them ourselves from Apple website or an untouched Leopard DVD post-installation?

Thanks.

Yes! The packages have been slimmed down, you should have the default apps that a real Leopard comes with. The stuff that have been removed are stuff that the PCs cannot use and they just take up space!

I never used an uphuck release before but didnt the Tiger ones have apps included as optional installs like Transmission? Does this have any extra stuff like that?

Also, what video kexts come with it?

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing these are going to be there:

These Graphic cards should work, some may need editing and changing of kexts but these work!

For more info @ http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...#Graphics_Cards

Will iATKOS run on VMware?

I used Leopard Flat Image on VMware workstation 6, but it gave me a "virtual machine kernel stack" error message.

Thanks

iATKOS should work on VMware, I'm pretty certain that it is going to work!

Questions:

Can i upgrade over a 10.4.10 mac.nub install?

Can i do that if I am formatted MBR not GUID?

Will this mess up a chain0 dual boot if i install it over a previous install?

i really liked the older uphucks releases and I cant wait to try this.

bad axe 2 quad core, SATA drives, PATA DVD, geforce 7900, etc

cheers!

First question: You might be able but I can assure you no has at this time of writing, I will be trying this for you!

Second question: I'm not really sure since no one has tested that.

Third question: There is a chance but you can repair it but going though the same steps when creating the dual boot.

Forth Question: ? ...Geforce 7900 GS is stated to work! ...

Thanks for starting a thread and the FAQ.

One quick question about Drive Format:

GUID or MBR or Either ?

Thanks

To use the complied efi in iATKOS, you must have MBR as it currently does not support GUID (Maybe in the future..)

Does this notice RAID0 configs on install?
It might, I am unsure. More research will be done onto this!

Hmm, I'd like to know the answer to this as well. What's the best if your not going to be using EFI?
I'm not sure, pc_efi is installed on the default darwin bootloader. However you cannot use pc_efi on Windows Bootloader...So if you want to cross out efi, use windows bootloader. I don't recommend this.

Thanks a lot. I will be looking around to get it (SSE2 version of iATKOS). Do you know exactly what month? And that version will be "whitebox" too?
No news have been said about an exact date that the SSE2 version will be public. I am guessing it is going to be an white box install.

Hi,

The iatkos is only an English version or other languages are available ?

Many Thanks

I am guessing that it is going to be in English and Turkish however there is a chance for other languages. Moreover, you can download languages from Apple.

any chance in hell this is gonna work on my nforce 650i ultra motherboard? :)
I am guessing that it will work however no one knows if it works with 10.5.1 but the motherboard is known to work with 10.4.8 so therefore you have a strong chance of it working.

Okies...I am confused. In the FAQ it says there is no multi-boot support on the disk, but later I see reference to the EFI being with the Darwin Bootloader. So...does this mean you can dual boot utilizing Darwin? Because, when I loaded Uphuck 1.3, I just left it with the Darwin Bootloader, and didn't even mess with making changes to Windows. For me that has been very successful, and I just want to know if this will be the same with iATKOS. As long as it still has Darwin and it still runs as it did in the past, I am pretty sure that things will go very smoothly for us. Any insight will be great. Thanks!

Jennifer

I should re-read the FAQ, no, you can still dual boot, don't get me wrong but to use the complied efi you must use the default darwin bootloader. The efi is part of the bootloader to allow vanilla files to be able to open and run!

You can dual boot with Grub, Windows Boot Loader....Anyone one of them

But to use the integrated efi you must use the default darwin bootloader. If you wish to use Grub, you'll need to install netkas pc_efi on your Grub bootloader.

Questions:

1. I really don't understand the Darwin Bootloader. I have a Windows XP partition, and i want to install iATKOS as dual boot without having to mess with my Windows partition. Is it like adding "entries" in the Darwin bootloader to set up a dual boot (like in GRUB)?

2. You can choose between a vanilla and a custom kernel, what is the difference? Isn't the vanilla best of all (perfect emulation, so that any program runs even bug-free as on a real Mac?) Can you use the official updates on the custom kernels?

Thx!

Answers:

1. Yes- your XP partition is accessable within the Darwin Bootloader, just press F8 before darwin loads...

2. Vanilla basically means all legi files, with iATKOS you can install official updates (if you have installed efi)

So is this suppose to recognize all SATA drives? And will this release require the use of ACHI? I only have Raid or ATA/Raid available in the Bios.
A release cannot support ALL sata drives however it can support a high amount of the sata drives.

Does this mean even if I don't intend to dual-boot (I will be dedicating a hard drive for this) and only plan to have one partition I would need to use Gparted to set it up with GUID?

This would explain why my 10.4.x install kept bombing out until I chose MBR. I R REEDING GUD!

No, currently iATKOS supports MBR. You don't need to dedicate an whole harddrive for iATKOS, you can dualboot.

READ ME (iATKOS v1.0i)

1- This DVD is designed for Intel architectures.

2- This DVD includes Apple's brand new OS Leopard 10.5.1 (9B18) which is being improved continuously. This system runs nice as we tested but many kind of stability problems on your various hardware are possible. Please report to us, your feedbacks are important for this project.

For your installation to succeed, please regard to following information:

1- Make sure that the md5 of the iso image that you downloaded matches the one posted on our website. Otherwise you have a faulty DVD. Use quality media/burner and burn slowly.

2- Please read the descriptions of the packages carefully.

3- Intel CoreDuo Proccessors have appropriate SpeedStep Technology which is stable in OS X. If you have such processor, you can enable Throttling feature using the "SpeedStep" package which u can find under Drivers section. You can not use this feature if you selected original kernel. Throttling feature includes Prasys' Throttling kext and Tuxx's SpeedStepping Application.

4- This release includes EFI emulation boot. Intel Core CPUs can use stock kernel and stock ACPIPlatform kernel extension with EFI emulation. This increases stability and performance (especially hdd performance by %50 on Leopard).

5- Some wireless Networking Adaptors may require IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.5 to be configured properly. If you have this type of harware, please install "10.4.5 IO80211Family.kext" package during installation.

6- Some wireless Networking Adaptors that need kext from 10.4.5 (Atheros 5005xx series) may need ''Wireless patch'' to be configured correctly. If so select it.

Installation:

1- Run Disk Utility via Utilities menu and erase the target partition for clean install. Do partitioning if you need to, but be sure to select MBR type partition map. (We advice you to do the partitioning via Gparted live cd)

2- Run Darwin Boot and follow the instructions to install Darwin Boot to your target partition. In this section you will decide to use EFI emulation or not.

3- Select the destination for installation.

4- Click customize and select needed packages from menu.

5- Click Install.

Install time is about 20 minutes.

Known Issues:

1- The DVD has no integrated procedure for multi-booting. While preparing dual-boot systems or such, you might need additional steps for your OS' to boot and function properly. We recommend Gparted Live CD for such operations. You may easily find tutorials about multi-boot systems on the web.

2- If you do partitioning with diskutil then be sure mbr partition type is selected, otherwise you can not boot from that hd by bios. If you do partitioning with diskutil while having another partitions in disk, they all can be unusable. Because of all these we advice Gparted live cd for partitioning and diskutil only for erasing.

3- Jmicron Sata and IDE controllers are known to have issues with OS X.

4- OS X have major problems with ATI X200 chipset.

5- nVidia 8xxx cards are known not to work on OS X except some models (8800, 8600). It seems that most of them will work in near future.

6- This dvd may not include all the necessary drivers required by your setup. Additional steps may be needed to be taken by the user to setup and use such components.

Unsuccessful Installation and Related Symptoms:

1- I get a blinking Cursor after Installation:

--> Your partition that OSX is instaled is not active and containing no Boot Flag.

~ Use Gparted Live cd and by using harddrive manager set "Boot Flag" to the OSX partition.

--> Your partition table type should be other than MBR (Apple type or guid)

~ Use Gparted Live cd for partitioning and set disk type to msdos or choose MBR type when partitioning with diskutil.

--> You might be using some Jmicron or such controller that is not supported.

~ Try using other controllers.

2- I get the error "com.apple.Boot.plist is not found" after installation.

--> Your partition that OSX is instaled is not active and containing no Boot Flag.

~ Use Gparted Live cd and by using harddrive manager set "Boot Flag" to the OSX partition.

--> You might be using some Jmicron or such controller that is not supported.

~ Try using other controllers.

3- I get the error "com.apple.Boot.plist is not found" while booting the DVD

--> You are probably trying to boot from damn jmicron ide.

~ You should use usb dvd rom drive, or need sata-ide convertor for your dvd rom drive. (See Known Issues #2)

An UPDATE will be coming to this FAQ about iATKOS, feel free to ask questions and post corrections or add-ons...Many thanks!

A thank you to:

ucan for providing the READ ME for iATKOS.

shav4life for answering a few questions.

Geeze for answering a question.

Synaesthesia for making some corrections.

ToT on #irc for telling that the complied efi in iATKOS only supports MBR

eskurza for correcting efi errors!

Is there an ETA on SSE2 support?

As of now, there is no SSE2 or AMD support. It is said that an AMD and an SSE2 version will come around early 2008, I can't promise anything.

I will do more research on ETA support.

I will do more research on ETA support.

Oh, wow. That's a long wait for me, especially since I'd like to do an install this week sometime. Here's hoping an SSE2 version will come out much sooner.

Thanks, SMC. Looking forward to what your research shows.

Questions:

cheers!

I'm new to this Mac-on-whitebox thing. It says that the packages on the DVD have been slimmed down; will it be possible to manually install them ourselves from Apple website or an untouched Leopard DVD post-installation?
You can

I never used an uphuck release before but didnt the Tiger ones have apps included as optional installs like Transmission? Does this have any extra stuff like that?

No one has it so no one knows, but as far as information goes, this does not have much extras infact maybe none. Someone correct me if am wrong.

I used Leopard Flat Image on VMware workstation 6, but it gave me a "virtual machine kernel stack" error message.

Thanks

No one has tested it yet, so no one knows.

So SS3 AMD support will also be coming in 2008?

A question you might add to the FAQ:

'What are the differences between v1.0i and v1.0u?'

1. Maybe

Different versions/Contents for different processors I believe. Not Sure.

GUID or MBR or Either ?

MBR

Questions that I have left out means I don't know the answer to, or don't have. And my answers are all based on what I have read through this forum and other osx86 related sites.

These Graphic cards should work, some may need editing and changing of kexts but these work!

For more info @ http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...#Graphics_Cards

Thanks

iATKOS should work on VMware, I'm pretty certain that it is going to work!

So SS3 AMD support will also be coming in 2008?

There is two major differences, there has been developments of booting to original kernel with a modified bootloader and that is has been revised more!

Questions:

cheers!

First question: You might be able but I can assure you no has at this time of writing, I will be trying this for you!

Second question: I'm not really sure since no one has tested that. But you might be able too!

Third question: There is a chance but you can repair it but going though the same steps when creating the dual boot.

Forth Question: ? ...Geforce 7900 GS is stated to work! ...

Thanks for starting a thread and the FAQ.

GUID or MBR or Either ?

Thanks

I really recommend using the default darwin bootloader since pc_efi is only install on that but if you want to be different, then I say get Grub but using the default one when you install OSx86 is the best, I can help you create a timeout code so it gives you x seconds to choose which partition to load up!

I'm not sure, use the one that you use to run any other versions of OSx86. MBR is more loved on the forums!

Does this notice RAID0 configs on install?
It might, I am unsure. More research will be done onto this!

Hmm, I'd like to know the answer to this as well. What's the best if your not going to be using EFI?
I'm not sure, pc_efi is installed on the default darwin bootloader. However you cannot use pc_efi on Windows Bootloader...So if you want to cross out efi, use windows bootloader. I don't recommend this.

Excuse me, is there any chances that this release will work on SSE2 PCs? I have a DELL latitude D600 and intend to install Leopard.

Hello,

As I have said above (in both posts and in the FAQ), an SSE2 version may be released early 2008. Also an AMD version is set due around that time.

Thanks a lot. I will be looking around to get it. Do you know exactly what month? And that version will be "whitebox" too?

No news have been said about an exact date that the SSE2 version will be public. I am guessing it is going to be an white box install.

As I understand it the "i" indicates intel only code (as in Intel vs PPC, not intel vs AMD), hense the smaller file size of 2 gigs, and the "u" indicates universal which will probally run the older mac stuff (PPC) and be a 4 gig download. Uphuck and Co did this with their last release but used different letters. v1.3 was "universal" and their other tiger releases were Intel code only.

Hi,The iatkos is only an english version or other languages are available ?Many Thanks
Hi there, I am guessing that it is going to be in English and Turkish however there is a chance for other languages. Moreover, you can download languages from Apple.
any chance in hell this is gonna work on my nforce 650i ultra motherboard? :)
Hey there, I am guessing that it will work however no one knows if it works with 10.5.1 but the motherboard is known to work with 10.4.8 so therefore you have a strong chance of it working.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Just in case anyone else is wondering, these cards still don't work. The wiki has 8400 and 8500 but it lists them as not working. The 8800gts works though!

As I understand it the "i" indicates intel only code (as in Intel vs PPC, not intel vs AMD), hense the smaller file size of 2 gigs, and the "u" indicates universal which will probally run the older mac stuff (PPC) and be a 4 gig download. Uphuck and Co did this with their last release but used different letters. v1.3 was "universal" and their other tiger releases were Intel code only.

Thanks guys for providing some information, this stuff have been added to the list.PS. check the bottom of the first post (your names are there!)

and if i recall EFI emulation is for intel chipsets only right? the readme reads like all you need is a core 2 duo, which would be awesome. but i could swear i read somewhere else you had to have an intel based motherboard too, in other words no EFI for nforce users. am i right?

does anyone know if this version is compatible with the MSI P35 board?

thanks

I'm sorry to tell you but there is no news or any indications that your motherboard would work however, it might work and if not, simply PM or Post here and we'll update the OSx86 wiki and if your having problems returning back to Windows I can help you! :angel:

No, currently iATKOS supports MBR. You don't need to dedicate an whole harddrive for iATKOS, you can dualboot.

Is it MBR *only* or can it do GUID? I want to get the install as "native" as possible but if I have to use MBR that's no problem.

The hard drive I am using for OS X is a spare and I have it dedicated strictly to this purpose. No need to dual boot, and I won't have any other drives in the system while it's in (it's a laptop).