How to squeeze Leopard to a SL-DVD

rathalos

174 posts in this topic

Hi, can anyone help me here please.

I have followed all the instructions and all ok for burning the dvd. I get to that last minute of installation and it crashes. I have even downloaded another copy of leopard burnt to SL DVD and the same thing happens at the end of installation.

In the log error I get,

localhost /Volumes/Mac Leopard/private/tmp/scripts.RzeB/ ./postinstall[426] File does not exist, Will create /Volumes/Mac /leopard/Library/prefernces/com.apple.pcast_integration.plist

Then I get

Could not save crash report to disk

Then I get a huge list of the crash report.

Like I said I downloaded Leopard again in case I had a problem with the first download. I have burnt several DVDs and have also gone through the process of creating a SL DVD several times, and I get the same thing happening.

I have the new (only couple weeks old) iMac 2.4 ghz C2D with 3gb ram. I am running Tiger on my iMac

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Your 'couple of weeks old iMac' probably is no PPC machine but an Intel machine, this only works for PPC real macs.

End of this month Leopard will be released so perhaps it's better to wait for the official release and put that on your mac!

Your 'couple of weeks old iMac' probably is no PPC machine but an Intel machine, this only works for PPC real macs.

End of this month Leopard will be released so perhaps it's better to wait for the official release and put that on your mac!

Thanks for that

Well, I've done it and am writing this is Leopard !!!!

• 3 weeks later...
anyway, if u do this method of creating a install DVD, the boot time is 15min before it reaches the installer... thats the downside of this method... YMMV...

Can anyone tell me if this is still true as of the GM? I tried this and I thought the system was hanging, but maybe it was just taking a long time. (I doubt I waited more than 15 minutes.)

Can anyone tell me if this is still true as of the GM? I tried this and I thought the system was hanging, but maybe it was just taking a long time. (I doubt I waited more than 15 minutes.)

Anybody? I think mine is going on a half hour now... should I give up, or let it keep going?

(It's at the part where you'd be at the grey Apple logo with the spinny thing. I started it up with cmd-V, so it's showing me the console... the last messages are something to do with Bluetooth, though they don't look like error messages.)

u can remove xcode, u can remove all languages except english.... and u can remove all forms of printer drivers... that should already save u lots of space and squeeze it down to a small size of about 4.2 or 4.3 Gb

im working from the 9A581 build... is it possible to use these instructions?? i cant seem to get this method to work that is described here it always has an error regarding it cant find the disc or somemthing right at the end..... thanks again everyone

##############################################

######## REAL GUIDE HOW TO BURN ON SINGLE LAYER DISK######

##############################################

The other guides give an large image. This one is the real deal.

Look for a program called Carbon Copy Cloner on google.

Open the image in the program and deselect

Xcode Tools

Under System/Installation/Packages you will need to deselect some Printer Drivers and some language files.

I only left the one I really use.

Use disk utility and create a new image, size 4.7GB (SL DVD) and use this image as the destination in Carbon. Otherwise you might end up with a big file (7GB) with only 4GB of data on which isn't burnable on a SL DVD.

Remember to deselect the same files under the installations options or the install will fail.

IF YOU WANT ALL THE LANGUAGES FILES JUST INSTALL EACH PKG AFTER.

hmm, after i finished doing all of that, i burned the dvd and inserted it. i restarted my computer and the blue screen comes on with the little circle thing in the middle. my laptop keeps having these beeping noises, i've waited probably 20 minutes now and it still hasn't changed. so i guess i didnt something wrong?

This guide did not work for me!

It might be because I burned wrong

this is how I did it: In disk utiliy I selected the burn image, clicked burn(upper left corner of the utiliy)

and let it burn at 4X(I couldn't select any other speed)

now when I boot my pc with the cd, it reads the cd for a moment, and then continues booting my normal system:S

In windows the cd shows up as audio-cd with one file in it: track 01

the only files I deleted: everything with printer in it, and all languages except: french german and english

How the hell do i get this right?

thanks!

(I downloaded my leopard, it's no beta, this should work on intel right?)

This failed for me also, it has

Install Failed

Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer.

The Installer could not locate the data it needed to install the software. Check your install media or internet connection and try again or contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Click Restart to restart your computer and try installing again.

so what happened? why aint it working?

Guest Snowski

Guys, I havent read through the whole thread but I think when you trim down the image you also need to deselect the options on install. So also deselect printers, languages, etc on the actual install.

My apologies if this was a noob suggestion though.