How to squeeze Leopard to a SL-DVD

rathalos

174 posts in this topic

To everyone having problems with the missing file error during installation, make sure you've followed these guidelines:

- ONLY remove the printer drivers and languages you don't need. With no printers and only Japanese and Korean left, I was able to get the image size down to 4.2GB

- During setup, after you select which hard drive/partition, click "Customize" and uncheck everything you removed from the original DMG.

I don't think the guide on the first page covers the second point and I found that to be my problem my first time around. I also removed a few other pkgs that caused errors during installation.

Are the manuals safe to remove? I've gone through 5 DVD's so far. Using the installation log, I found out I need to keep Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Duthc, Danish, Finish, Korean, Norweigan, Sweedish, Simple Chinese, and Traditional Chinese, otherwise I'll get a missing file error :rolleyes:

Customize install doesn't let me uncheck those files, so it's going to be hard to condense it.

6 try is a charm?

I'm not going to delete any languages this time. Can I get rid of the 120mb manual?

Are the manuals safe to remove? I've gone through 5 DVD's so far. Using the installation log, I found out I need to keep Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Duthc, Danish, Finish, Korean, Norweigan, Sweedish, Simple Chinese, and Traditional Chinese, otherwise I'll get a missing file error :rolleyes:

Customize install doesn't let me uncheck those files, so it's going to be hard to condense it.

6 try is a charm?

I'm not going to delete any languages this time. Can I get rid of the 120mb manual?

You need to click the Customize button before installing and uncheck all of the boxxes you can when installing.

--

You can remove the manual.

AdditionalSpeechVoices is removable if you edit the installer script. I was able to fit it on my 4gb iPod mini without any Languages, Printers, X11, Xcode, Manuals, AdditionalFonts and AdditionalSpeechVoices.

I think my problem is that I'm missing the english.pkg file ;)

Does anyone have it? Can someone upload it? I need it to continue the install without an error I think.

Thanks!

Yes, I think it is normal. English is built in in OSX, you have to install it.

It's not an external package, tha's why you cannot see an 'english.pkg'

@rathalos: when you say 'burn it in Tiger', do you mean on a Mac-version of Tiger, or a Hackintosh version is good as well?

Yes, I think it is normal. English is built in in OSX, you have to install it.

It's not an external package, tha's why you cannot see an 'english.pkg'

@rathalos: when you say 'burn it in Tiger', do you mean on a Mac-version of Tiger, or a Hackintosh version is good as well?

Hack Tiger should be fine. Tiger is needed because in Pre-release versions of Leo, burning was broke.

Hack Tiger should be fine. Tiger is needed because in Pre-release versions of Leo, burning was broke.

In fact, I don't have problems in the burning process, I cannot get the introduction installer message...

I don't know what else I can try. Tomorrow, I will buy a DL ;-)

Sorry if this has been asked before - but this guide can be followed in order to cut down a patched Leopard version made to run on PC's, right?

This is for Macs, but if you have a hacked version for PCs, you should be able to cut out the same stuff.

can you use a PC to do this also... I got some screwy 'base system' could not be validated error. I don't know if it's because my G5 won't recognize a dual layer CD, or if it's because I burnt leopard on a pc using PowerISO.... I just need some help

I think I've found the solution to the problem!

When you see the error, go to the Window menu, then click Installation Log. It will tell you the missing packages needed. Mine was Asian Text Support.

Thank you!!!

I think you can't remove that file ...

I'm burning a new DVD with that file and I'll try again ...

You need to click the Customize button before installing and uncheck all of the boxxes you can when installing.

I deleted Xcode, all languages except english and german and I deleted all printer drivers.

Then I tried to uncheck X11 in the setup but it doesn't work - I can't uncheck it.

I deleted all languages with Monolingual in tiger before I tried to install leopard. The languages are unchecked - no problem here.

But what about X11? I deleted it in tiger (by drag&drop into trash) but I'm not able to uncheck it in the setup. I only get the "missing files"-message instead of an running setup...

I deleted Xcode, all languages except english and german and I deleted all printer drivers.

Then I tried to uncheck X11 in the setup but it doesn't work - I can't uncheck it.

I deleted all languages with Monolingual in tiger before I tried to install leopard. The languages are unchecked - no problem here.

But what about X11? I deleted it in tiger (by drag&drop into trash) but I'm not able to uncheck it in the setup. I only get the "missing files"-message instead of an running setup...

You don't need to uncheck X11 if you didn't delete X11User.pkg.

You need to have the languages if you are upgrading from Tiger. I was able to do an Archive & Install without needing any of the languages.

The solution for my problem: A quick view in the installation log told me that I need to restore the asianlanguage-package in my leopard-disc cause it's needed (no idea why, but ok). Further I had to delete X11 completely in tiger (drag&drop the app into trash wasn't enough), so I was able to uncheck X11, too.

hey, after you complete up to burnging the first image, can you just burn that to a DL DVD? whats the benefit of a SL dvd?

DL = Dual Layer <----- can hold twice the amount of data of SL

SL = Single Layer

If you have DL DVDs and a DL burner then don't slim it down, you can just burn and install normally.

i burned the 9A581 dmg to a DVD+R DL with disk utility in tiger but it won't boot. In Tiger it mounts ok, and pops-up the install window, but after i hit the restart button (the one Leopard says will install after) my MBP gets back into Tiger. I tried with the option button at boot but no luck, there is only 2 HDs- Tiger and XP. Anyone else had this problem ?