How to squeeze Leopard to a SL-DVD

rathalos

174 posts in this topic

I followed the instructions of the first post and received the error saying that certain files could not be found.

I deleted X11, printer drivers, and all unneeded languages. I also unchecked those same things in the customized installer. However, the problem stems from an inability to uncheck some languages. In my install those were: Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Korean, and Swedish.

The languages I WAS able to uncheck were: Norwegian, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Polish.

Strange.

I followed the instructions of the first post and received the error saying that certain files could not be found.

I deleted X11, printer drivers, and all unneeded languages. I also unchecked those same things in the customized installer. However, the problem stems from an inability to uncheck some languages. In my install those were: Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Korean, and Swedish.

The languages I WAS able to uncheck were: Norwegian, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Polish.

Strange.

You need to uninstall all the language(s) files and try again.

Don't forget to remove the languages under System Tools -> International. Clean up the list

Search on google how to do that.

Hey, followed all your instructions and I've burned the single layer DVD. However, when I boot up the DVD to install, it's just stuck on the screen with the apple logo, and the spinning loading dot-circle beneath and I can hear the drive obviously trying to load.

Only reason I can think of is because the DVD is a DVD-RW? I remember trying to install XP with a DVD-RW and it didn't work, is this the same case?

Thanks

KEE just plug in your power adapter and wait for about 10 minutes, i'm serious. I waited for a while and it actually got to the load screen, i thought something was wrong also. but i was wrong. well after i tried to install it, a box comes up and says that it couldnt install because there was some files missing or something, a box with a big yellow caution sign with an exclamation point. oh well, good luck to you sir.

That's great f1n3st! It actually worked! ;) Well, I haven't tried installing it yet, as I forgot to free up HD Space and I was already late for work so I've had to leave it til later.

But at least I know it's booting up now!

I'll let you know later if it works, fingers crossed.

Thanks, this worked a treat. cut Leopard 9A581 down to 4.1GB, burned on a disk.

removed all printer drivers.

removed xcode. presumably you could remove iTunes also, as it's available as a free download.

removed all languages keeping English and Japanese.

used monolingual to delete all languages keeping English and Japanese in Tiger. Installed sweetly as an Archive and Install on two boxes, will wait a day or two before hitting the primary iPhoto box with 7 years worth of pics.

installed the HP printer drivers after Leopard install by running the HP package from the original unmodified mounted dmg.

could do similiar to install iTunes, Mail and Safari after the event, if you wanted a slimmer Leopard disk ??

When I copy the slimmed DMG onto the blank DVD sized one, it errors.

Got it working using CCC, create new sparseimage based on the dump one.

Attempting restore to iPod :o

Edit: BOOTED, but removed too much, downloading again X(

Looks like I'm having the same missing files error, with the yellow exclamation mark.

I made sure I followed the instructions properly though :/

Can anyone tell me the exact files they deleted and what they unchecked on the Customize Install screen?

I have the Leopard Gold Master dmg.

I tried all the methods described here (Disk Utility and CCC, DVD-R and RW), none of them worked for me.

The problem is that the installation stops before the introduction screen: I can only see the cursor over the 'Sky' image background.

Any suggestions?

i created a 8GB DL sparseimage from the original image (by restoring to it). deleted xcode, and unwanted langugages from the newly created 8GB sparseimage. now i restore the reduced image onto a 4,3GB sparseimage in order to burn it. only problem left is: it doesnt boot! i cant install leopard from a non-bootable dvd. what did i do wrong on the way?

anyway, if u do this method of creating a install DVD, the boot time is 15min before it reaches the installer... thats the downside of this method... YMMV...
Ooooh, thaaat exlpains why it took so long to reach the installer! Anyways, just wanted to say that I successfully created a trimmed .dmg with this method, then I used "Converso!" to convert it to an ISO so I could burn it using Nero on my PC (because my iBook doesn't have a DVD Burner). The disc did indeed boot (after a long while but it did), but I didn't proceed with the install yet to see if any errors come up.Would Archive & Install work just fine with the trimmed SL DVD? I kinda want to avoid transferring those 13Gb of info on the laptop wirelessly... just transferring the Leopard DMG and the burn.sparseimage.iso back and forth was a pain in the ass...
i created a 8GB DL sparseimage from the original image (by restoring to it). deleted xcode, and unwanted langugages from the newly created 8GB sparseimage. now i restore the reduced image onto a 4,3GB sparseimage in order to burn it. only problem left is: it doesnt boot! i cant install leopard from a non-bootable dvd. what did i do wrong on the way?
If it's stuck on the Apple screen with the circle thingy below, and you hear the drive working, you are fine: thing is it takes about 15 minutes to get past this stage, it has been posted before on this very thread. However, I can only speak of my iBook G4, so I don't know how it would/should behave on an Intel-based system. Of course, this won't work on OSX86/Hackintosh, so if that's what you are trying you should stop.

How come there is no english.pkg in the /Volumes/dump/System ? There are lots of other languages, but not english. is this normal?

Also, in the burning process, i should be burning the burn.sparceimage right? My main concern is the english.pkg, I think that's the problem but correct me if i'm wrong.

Cause in the installation, I get:

Install Failed

Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer.

The Installer could not locate the data it needed to install the software. Check your install media or internet connection and try again or contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Click Restart to restart your computer and try installing again.

I think I've found the solution to the problem!

When you see the error, go to the Window menu, then click Installation Log. It will tell you the missing packages needed. Mine was Asian Text Support.

Can Asianlanguagesupport be removed like the other languages? I ask only because it's not listed as simply a language as the others are.
You would have to modify your OSInstall.mpkg file. I deleted mine and it wouldnt install.

THANK YOU Meowy for the quick reply. Even if I only use English, I should keep it in, correct?

I had a bad feeling about taking it out, woops back to the bottom of the ladder I go.

Yes, keep it in. :( I removed it and it wouldn't install.