Computer for a student: $1000 iBook now, or Intel next spring?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

cyrana

cyrana

Prophetess of Doom

• Retired
  • 1,462 posts
Think Secret is again saying ibooks in January, although I still personally find it doubtful, unless they are somehow single-core Yonah:
http://www.thinksecr...512briefly.html

The Chazinator

The Chazinator

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
This is a difficult question, especially since you are a college student and money is a huge factor (I'm a freshman too, so I know how it is).

I would wait the month. The reason being is not so you can run out and buy it then; that's not going to happen. I would see how the iBook looks there and then make your decision based on those specs. If it gets shown at MacWorld in January, then it's not coming out until June at the least.

Plus, it's definitely true that OS X 10.3 is too easy to get in any ordinary PC. They need to put more restrictions before they can think of getting anywhere with it.

I would wait, personally.

minijoe

minijoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'd like to say something off topic here.

I tried 10.4.3 on my $499.00 Dell laptop with SiS chip which is 100% faulure rate to get it run natively. Then I managed to make it run under VMWare and it just not better than running XP on performance wise.

I then tried Linux distribution Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com) which is my perminent OS resident now in my Dell laptop and it can do almost everything I was doing when I was using XP on the laptop.

What I like to say is that there's 3rd option other then MS or Apple OS and yet Linux did come a long way to be compatitive on Desktop computing arena. The ubuntu distribution evnen let you intall it on PPC Mac. From a econamic and usability point of view I would like to say that Ubuntu Linux is a very strong candicate for those who seeking alternative OS other than MS. (Best thing is, Ubuntu is FREE for everyone to use it legaly)

My next projet would be installing Kubuntu on my kids Celeron 300MHz PC. I'd like to say this would be a free upgrade since linux runs much faster and smoother then XP with the same machine. If one knows way around OS X I'd like to say it wouldn't be too hard to get hand on linux after all they all share the same UNIX legacy.

Urbz

Urbz

La cr�me de la cr�me...(?)

• Retired Developers
  • 837 posts

I'd like to say something off topic here.

And off-topic you did go.

I'm very sorry, but you have GOT to be kidding me. Ubuntu? MAIN OS?
Am I missing something here?

I mean yeah, i'm racist against linux because its too damn in-your-face (i mean it's just existing now for the sake of it, so that linus torvald can still say "im a threat to MS", which he isn't).

Linux has done great things for computers though, and i can see why ppl like it. I tried out mandriva/mandrake, red-hat, a few unix-based stuff, Ubuntu, and that bootabe live linux, and i really can't see how you could make Ubuntu your favorite. It screams "Fatten me up!" because it's so darn light. The first thing that hit me was how unorganised i found it and how it had a lot of small stuff. I suppose that's why i hate it: it isn't solid in anything. Older computer? I say go for it, but trust me, there are linux distros out there similar to, yet vastly more "full" than Ubuntu. It was meant as a linux-on-CD distro, for crying out loud!

-Urby

minijoe

minijoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

And off-topic you did go.

I'm very sorry, but you have GOT to be kidding me. Ubuntu? MAIN OS?
Am I missing something here?

I say go for it, but trust me, there are linux distros out there similar to, yet vastly more "full" than Ubuntu. It was meant as a linux-on-CD distro, for crying out loud!

-Urby

You makes me feel like I am talking to a Mac only person and you should post in PURE MAC Forum instead of here and trying to use hacked OS( I assumed that you can't afford the Apple Mac premium).

I post here because that I feel like to have an alternative to OS X and MS OS. Yes I am using Ubutu for my daily computing on my Laptop(6 month old) as PERMIENT OS and I am happy with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy