The Lunatics Are Running The Asylum!

115 posts in this topic

It seems that many of the people who left were the very ones that made running OSX on a PC possible. They wrote the hacks and code and provided us with them indirectly. Without those people it seems this sites purpose will need to change or what's it's point ? I think the fact that they all left speaks for it's self. What have the new people really bought with the talent gone? No offence intended to any hackers or code writers who may still be here. The names I know who made the main point of this forum happen are pretty much gone. They all seem to feel used and taken advantage of and who can blame them. Perhaps the new owners can heal the wounds.

It seems that many of the people who left were the very ones that made running OSX on a PC possible.
Since OSx86 first started, people who worked on it have come and gone. Maxxuss, blex0r, etc. Semthex is the most recent who said he was leaving, mainly because we wouldn't give him almost full control over the site (and its money - a key sticking point) several weeks before the sale.

They wrote the hacks and code and provided us with them indirectly.
There are still a ton of people working on hacks and tweaks around here. The big guys would like you to believe that everything that happens with OSx86 comes from them, but there's a lot more to it. It's the small discoveries, of which there are a ton here, that are usually the most exciting.

Without those people it seems this sites purpose will need to change or what's it's point ?
InsanelyMac (and the OSx86 Project before it) has always been about change - at first we wanted to talk about the Intel transition on all its levels, including OSx86, but we also grew to incorporate more discussion of other things (MacBooks, Apple TV) as time went on. Certainly no one would stick around very long if we never changed things... it's a part of what makes an evolving community so fun. And I know that the iTeam guys will do a great job managing the years ahead.

We all appreciate the concerns (and they've been voiced in other threads), but let's get back on the original topic... :blink:

There are still a ton of people working on hacks and tweaks around here. The big guys would like you to believe that everything that happens with OSx86 comes from them, but there's a lot more to it. It's the small discoveries, of which there are a ton here, that are usually the most exciting.

I couldn't agree more. Anyone who says otherwise is sorely mistaken. Schwinn555, you speak without thinking, or knowing. Knowledge is power. Take a look at the developments of the AppleTV and how this site has played such a big part of it. But even apart from that: hackers and coders have their own little IRC channels where they make stuff happen, and they DO make stuff happen. Do not assume that everything you don't see in these forums is non-existant, please.

Firstly, "iTeam" I wish you all the best with the running and maintenance of the site.

You seem to have the right attitude to dealing with things (at least from what i've seen so far)

People are bound to be peeved about the sale one way or another, where as others (like myself) don't care (that much), just so long as the site is maintained, and to the high quality that it used to be... with the current discontent that I have seen in various posts around the forums that may be a challenge, but I hope you're up to it :tomato:

Back to topic:

As a web designer myself for quite a few years, I have found that as always any change to something will provoke positive and negative opinions, if however the negative seems to outweigh the positive, maybe it's time to listen to the users? With regards to a new skin, if you feel you can make dramatic improvements to the site, then sure go ahead make your skin but be *sure* to give the users the option to use the old one! - With web-design everything is personal preference, what someone may think is beautiful site design, others may think is disgustingly ugly.

Search improvements would definitely welcomed! (At least by me)

~mac.nub

PS. The server seems a bit laggy at the moment, i've had upto a minute of outage at various times...

Maybe you should have chosen a better reseller, some shared hosts i've used in the past are faster :angel:

Actually this mentality bothers me. This site was founded as a means to do just that, but has grown to much more than that. I've never had any interest in running OS X on anything but my Macs. I'm here because the other geeks are. And it's nice to talk with people who actually know things. I've actually been told be some members to "go away" because I had no interest in hacking OS X.

While the original intent was to engage in overt copyright infringement, the community changed after a lawsuit threat. We then became to discuss OS X on the X86 processor regardless of legit/illegit Mac configurations (and also with no overt references to the copyright infringement previously described).

Personally, I'd have reported those who told you to go away. That kind of {censored} shouldn't be welcome on any forum, especially one with such a normally kind community like this one.

I do tend to recommend buying a real mac, especially in cases where the person clearly has no interest in actually hacking, they just want a mac on the cheap. Owning a hackintosh is more about the journey than the destination.

I for one welcome the change I never liked the new look anyways.. Get that comma out and fast..

And for those suggesting to make a poll about the new look. If you ever buy something 75k, Im pretty sure you wont ask permission to make changes. When you pay something that kind of money, its not make the rest of the world heppy. They want to make profit and thats very legitimate.

Luigi

As annoying comments goes, I've seen more "Buy a Mac!" comments when someone wanted to hack osx, than "Go away if you don't want to hack OSX!" ones when someone didn't want to.

But all these were marginal.

Well,I'm still not sure where you've seen this mentality. I tell people to buy a real thing all the time!

However THAT is because of people (Like Munky said) With comments like "I want a 100% completely working non-Apple Notebook".

That's not possible and they SHOULD know that before posting threads about it.

But yeah. . haven't seen anyone posting that to genuine "want to hack"ers.

Visahvis the original points of this thread.

I'm feeling the same way as a lot of people. Sentiments like "iTeam" while a perfectly valid alternative attitude, put me more in mind of less serious boards. However, as long as the board itself maintains the serious "work" disposition I've come to respect, I'm not adverse to the Administration being a bit more lax.

Again, the only site change I feel is needed at the moment is the search engine - Remember that retards and noobs are lazy. They will ONLY use the internal search engine. If the search can not feasiliy be repaired, then perhaps it's time to move to an open source forum? Using an open source would allow for future development, recreation of the current basic forum style and layout and would also be more in keeping with the "Open Source" mindset of the projects that tend to be centred here.

As for a site change that would be NICE. . . Perhaps it is time to do something a little more proactive against the idiotic posts that continually flood the hardware, drivers, installation and post installation forums - They're not usually stupid questions, just headdeskedly repeated ones. An improved search would be a good start, but some sort of judicial system to discourage repeated "Noobs". Perhaps more frequent gentle reminders by mods, combined with an improved system of in-forum tutorial and bug management and deletion of posts if requested by multiple people. A little enfocement of the "Harassment" rule wouldn't go amiss either - Taruga's HDA Patcher has an 83 page thread, and 83% of the thread conssts of noobs and idiots making comments like "When will you support the AD1988" and "Please PLEASE PLEASE I BEG YOU can you GET my sound working." A little more development-central talk would be better. Perhaps a second subforum, "Drivers" and "Driver Discussion" - move the current "Drivers" into "Drivers Discussion" and when drivers are actually released, their respective threads can be moved back into the Moderators-only-can-create-topics "Drivers" forum. This would give myself and other bad devs a place to trash out ideas, and look at bug issues, and a place for the better (or more organised) coders, such as TabletMagic Scott, Khashoggi, Taruga, Et Al to have an uncluttered place to work. An added bonus of this would be that the "Drivers" thread would be at most a couple of pages long for the next reasonable while, and would only contain useable information. Drivers as it stands is full of garbage (Yes, some of it my own.)

If I wasn't an Open Source advocate, I'd expect more that 2 eurocents for that. Call it 200 euros? That'd get me an Efika to play with. :)

And for those suggesting to make a poll about the new look. If you ever buy something 75k, Im pretty sure you wont ask permission to make changes. When you pay something that kind of money, its not make the rest of the world heppy. They want to make profit and thats very legitimate.

If you ever make an investment of 75k to make a profit, the first i would do was to ensure that i am not killing it.