Suggestions....

144 posts in this topic

Hey...

I wrote a reply in a thread and it got cut off because of a character-limit?

When I try to put the second part of my post into a new reply it auto-merges the postings

and I am back at my crippled post.. :)

Could you please make the limit per post higher so that a serious reply is possible? ;)

edit: uuh its not the character limit, its me using italic text that cuts off the post??

• 3 months later...

I have a small suggestion ... I do work in a forum and I think that in order not to bore the people, most of the forums I know put the newest post at first, the oldest at last. Why? Because if not, you have to go through all the old (and mostly not interesting stuff) and then to finally find something you were looking for ...

I was looking for a suitable way to install a ATI5770 in SL, I found the thread and first a looked like between 50 and 100 postings until I found something useful :)

I'm not wish to complain, but I think if you change the order of listing the post will be better ...

Wish a nice day everybody ...

Max.

• 2 weeks later...

I've some idea. Not too new though :rolleyes:

Could it be possible to improve/upgrade/rewrite/merge or whatever the search and New Users (users) created topics in a single one?

What I mean is this:

Then a new user (or whatever user) is writing the title for a new topic, the topic field could act like the Spotlight does in OS X. Automatically bringing some most similar/relevant suggestions, so a user could review them and possibly find an answer before creating a new topic. This, if properly implemented, could reduce to some degree, the amount of new topics with questions that already been answered many times (like ...still waiting for root device...).

Sure, that might be very difficult task to accomplish technically. Anyway IMO the idea of Spotlight is a good one (at least how Apple did it) ;)

• 4 weeks later...

When the page design came about a year ago, I used to be able to lock in to a background image out of 4 choices. I always prefer the subdued color of grey or charcoal. Now it seems the wood panel background is dominant. How do I permanently lock to the background image of my choice?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I can't talk for the rest of the staff, but I personally do read all feedback threads :). You have to understand we have very limited resources to make any of the changes proposed in these threads, so unless an easy solution is available we might not immediately have an answer. That doesn't mean to say that we aren't listening, it's just the way we choose to manage our limited time. There are so many projects on the back burner, HWDB, IPB update, FAQ, a few much needed features for the download section, search fix, optimizations, etc., that we have to pick and choose what we take on. If anyone would like to volunteer I would gladly welcome them. But unfortunately we've never managed to get people to give up an infinite amount of time for free or we would be able to accommodate many more suggestions :(.

Wrt your suggestion, the best answer feature in the later versions of IPB should help somewhat. Maybe not fully, but we might be able to hook in to feature multiple posts :)

• Like 4

This just popped up (See attachment)

I would like a referral to the paypal page, enter an amount, and just donate. I had this discussed before, currently it's referring to the donator page, if you have lifetime, you can not donate.

A small suggestion.

post-1090626-0-13507800-1366066543_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

I would like to see a lot of the older posts sent to archive so the info on here is more up to date

As a nube it mis confusing enough but when articles are 2 years old it makes it difficult to learn So much so for me I ended up hiring someone to do the install software for me.

• 3 months later...

I think it would be very beneficial to all to help track things by topics/categories organized more logically rather than having one long thread about a particular topic that get's confused with so many various conversations/posts. In addition to this there would be subsections that help members post comments in the right areas.

Example:

Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks)

Motherboards

Asus Z87-Pro v1.0

LAN

Wi-Fi

Bluetooth

Gigabyte Z87X-UD5 TH v1.0

LAN

Bluetooth

Thunderbolt 2

Some way to help keep track of conversations and solutions more easily. If one needs to they should be able to start a side-bar conversation/thread when collaborating on development projects or things along that nature.

The primary reason for my suggestion is that I found it rather difficult to review all the posts pertaining to very similar product groups to find the information I was seeking. In the end I've not found many solution summaries which compile all the knowledge under one product area.

I'm sorry for my English and hope you're able to understand the suggestion I'm trying to convey.

HWDB is planned to link threads/hardware into something easy to navigate. Still no ETA, but my last post still applies. If someone can lend a hand then we will be able to implement new features like these

I would like to see a lot of the older posts sent to archive so the info on here is more up to date

First of all, and please, don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to see more up to date content, then produce some!

And how do you propose to decide what's useful and what's not? Content that isn't useful to you might be useful to someone else.

If you're seeing an old topic at the top of a forum it's because somebody found something useful and posted in that topic, thus bumping it to the top.

Google would still find old topics if we placed them in an archive.

Knowing how to search for information is important. But of course you must first know what you're looking for. Recently there was a post by someone mistaking his RTL8139 ethernet for his on-board sound. Some people need to read their motherboard manual or improve their general knowledge on computers first in order to be able to perform a search that would provide meaningful results. If you're searching for a solution to a sound problem and using RTL8139 as a search keyword you most likely won't find anything.

Consider which is most likely to hit the information you'd be looking for:

"Install OS X on PC" vs "Mavericks ASUS P8Z77"

or

"Hackintosh no sound" vs "Mavericks AD2000B P5Q-E"

In both cases you'd probably hit posts as far back as 2006 if using the first one. The second one would surely get you "up to date content".

I don't believe in deleting old posts, if it's up to me, as long as they contain useful info to someone, they're staying.

Maybe that someone wants to install 10.5.2 on an old motherboard from 2009, information about that can be found here. It may not be useful to you, but it would be useful to that person.

• Like 5

First of all, and please, don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to see more up to date content, then produce some!

And how do you propose to decide what's useful and what's not? Content that isn't useful to you might be useful to someone else.

If you're seeing an old topic at the top of a forum it's because somebody found something useful and posted in that topic, thus bumping it to the top.

Google would still find old topics if we placed them in an archive.

Knowing how to search for information is important. But of course you must first know what you're looking for. Recently there was a post by someone mistaking his RTL8139 ethernet for his on-board sound. Some people need to read their motherboard manual or improve their general knowledge on computers first in order to be able to perform a search that would provide meaningful results. If you're searching for a solution to a sound problem and using RTL8139 as a search keyword you most likely won't find anything.

Consider which is most likely to hit the information you'd be looking for:

"Install OS X on PC" vs "Mavericks ASUS P8Z77"

or

"Hackintosh no sound" vs "Mavericks AD2000B P5Q-E"

In both cases you'd probably hit posts as far back as 2006 if using the first one. The second one would surely get you "up to date content".

I don't believe in deleting old posts, if it's up to me, as long as they contain useful info to someone, they're staying.

Maybe that someone wants to install 10.5.2 on an old motherboard from 2009, information about that can be found here. It may not be useful to you, but it would be useful to that person.

There is a difference between archiving and deleting

Archiving means to move it to a different part of the forum as to clean up its appearance

He is right. Those stickied threads are years out of date and could confuse people with data that does not work.

I understand the difference between archiving and deleting, I am not retarded. I'm trying to get the point across that old posts would still appear in search results if they were moved to a different part of the forum, so it follows that archiving them would not make much of a difference. The only way to really get rid of old posts would be to delete them, and I'd prefer not to. There are many people out there who want to run OS X on old iron, and much of the old and outdated information that we have here is still very useful to those people. I can't do anything about users replying to older topics and bumping them to the top.

I know it's confusing at first (even after 5 years, it still is). But it does get better, and the information is here. Of course it is up to the user to find it, which is why I started talking about improving your base knowledge and how to search. As a newcomer, what you're looking for might be right in front of you, but you just don't know it yet. Moving old topics out of the way will not help anyone in that situation.

Maybe I don't understand what exactly the problem is with old topics. There is no guarantee that new topics contain accurate or up-to-date information either. I'm still seeing people advocating the use of OSX86Tools!

Anyway;

If you (or anyone else reading) should come across any pinned topics that you feel have outlived their usefulness, feel free to post links and I'll take a look, I'm sure there are several that can be un-pinned by now.

To Poco:

Out of curiosity, based on this discussion http://superuser.com/questions/206164/what-hardware-information-about-your-pcs-can-gathered-by-websites-isps?rq=1 could a auto-signature tool be embedded to Insanelymac to auto-display the OS version s/he is using in the signature by a check upon login - if the user turns this idealized function on, nobody's talking about privacy violation here - so s/he don't need to do it any time the system is updated? Of course that could be a mess if a given user logs in from too many different computers or alternates to much between Windows/Linux/OSX partitions (but this could be easily solved by storing each system info in its own category), but all in all I really think it would be more helpful than harmful.

Is it doable, or too much ambitious/impractical/inappropriate a feature?

All the best!

Doable yes, worth it probably not. OS is of limited use compared to hardware - I'm writing this from Windows for example.

Now automatically formatting hardware would be an interesting feature, and that is something I've been planning to add for well over a year now. Small sketch of what I was thinking: User adds "components" to a "build". The "builds" are then listed on their profile/signature and can also be viewed in a section of the HWDB. Going a little bit further, if they open a new topic, allow selecting a "build" they've added so people reading the topic know all the relevant details, and the "components" pages would link to the appropriate threads.

• Like 2

Could not

(i) The older topics with the topic originators agreement simply be locked, preventing users replying to older topics and bumping them to the top, effectively archiving the original topics?

(ii) There could be a new topic called "Legacy OS X Systems Q&A", with sub-folders for OS X Tiger and OS X Leopard to begin with, where users interested in installing these OS'es on older hardware could post questions in the hope of there being IM member(s) being interested in answering / helping / posting download links for specific kexts /apps requested by posters etc.