Suggestions....

144 posts in this topic

2 things I'd like to see here @ insanelymac;

2) Forums/Threads organized by hardware type for installation/support issues

1 forum for: SOUND, VIDEO, LAN, WIFI, etc.

Then 1 thread inside each forum based on type. Ultimately there are not much more than about 50 types of any of these that can run ANY osx86 installations.

I saw some improvements to organization here lately that were top notch. Nice job.

Also about black themes here @ insanleymac...i think they cost more just because...kinda like mbps...hehe...

I have to agree with the hardware suggestion. Asking questions on this site has become a hit and miss situation. This is mainly because the categorising isn't detailed enough and so finding anything or getting anything answered is difficult.

What we need is something like:

OSx86 Installation: Upgrade, Clean install, Dual Booting, Kernal update, EBIOS Error, Kernal Error, ..

Post-Installation Discussion: - not sure here

Hardware: Audio, Graphics, Ethernet, Wifi, I/O,...

My actual ideas are pretty rubbish but I can't think right now and so just wanted to give a general idea.

I just think if we had more sub categories (but not too many) then it would be easier to find answers as you're now searching in a narrower area and so you're less likely to continue to feed this already bloated forum even more. If you do however need to ask questions, people who actually know are more likely to answer it as they are already in those categories.

By categorising further it also enables us to create more stickies overall without any one category looking overcrowded with stickies (which never looks great). Also we only need useful stickies with useful comments. None of this "great thread" and stupid questions posts because it's really just useless mess and all it does is make the sticky lose value and become meaningless (as no one wanted to go through 6 pages to end up reading just using 3 posts). If you want to ask a question it should be done on a related topic. Stickies ideally should just be for information. And so here the moderators need to be firm.

This site is great but it can be a lot better and I just would like to see it get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I overlooked but I can't find where you can see how much replies you must have written to get a specific rating. I mean the blue squares.

That first sentence is a bit wierd, isn't it?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
I'd like to see the following:

1) Being able to find all posts by each user, in chronological order (just like in most other forums).

2) Obvious Microsoft shills should be banned. Why should we tolerate them? This is a Mac forum.

so we should bann linux users too ...

c`mon we should shere our little knowledge to bring more and more people from win to x

R

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a few things changed:

1. Cleaner topics - now all the topics are full of obsolete posts of people asking silly questions like "when is this going to be complete", "how long", "what about my hackintosh" and so on.
  2. Well organized topics - when a topic grows to a fourty pages somebody to take the efforts to summarize the useful information into the first post and remove the other pages so that people won't need to dig hundreds of pages for a simple answer. This will reduce spam as well because people won't need to ask something again and again in one topic just because they can't read it all.
  3. Some action towards lazy users. Right now I saw a man in the "Post installation discussion" section asking why his Hackintosh can't sleep. What are those people thinking? That flooding the forum with {censored} is going to help them solve their problems???
  4. Better forum structure - there's a lot that can be done about this.

I hope my suggestion is going to be useful.

The problem with most of those, Dellius, is that it depends on the users, and not the admins/moderators. The users cannot do all that, especially the malicious ones. I think the forum structure is fine, by the way.

Better forum structure - there's a lot that can be done about this.

I'm interested in your opinion on this. Besides the iPhone forum (which I am considering making a seperate forum, instead of a sub-forum), what else could be done to improve it?

- Sabr.

I know this may be a bit too much but I would have though we should have a new member class who are knowledgeable on OS X Installation and maybe Post-Installation who hang around those categories helping people out. I know a lot of the community do this already but it may help actually having designated helpers too. Speeds up replies to questions.

And Sabr the iPhone should have it's own category. Especially now that it's come out.

• 1 month later...

i have one suggestion,to change group color of Donators ...

the red color of donators and admins are to similar ... [ex.] 4tuq6uq.jpg <----> 4tpkea0.jpg

maybe to change it in some yellow/dark yellow or orange to be like their badge color ...

my 2 cents .

~R

so we should bann linux users too ...

c`mon we should shere our little knowledge to bring more and more people from win to x

R

I have just read this post.

I never said we should ban Windows users, I said we should ban Microsoft shills, which is very different :)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shill

hello,

tnx for making such a useful forum. i have been lots of forums. i thought i was used to them.but,

this forum is the most confusing forum ever (for a non-english person) tutorials and help requests must be in sections i guess. or there are people asks questions in tut section and posting tuts in question section =P

anyways,

tnx for making this site. really

• 2 months later...

i noticed a lot "Leopard leaked" threads ,at least 5-6 of them all over the Front Page and News forums .

can someone collect them and make one,or something like that .

sorry about double post .

~R

• 4 months later...

The Creativity thread/forum or whatever it is called is hidden by the Wallpapers and Icons thread/forum.

I always can't find it. I suggest putting Creativity first.

As a note, I overall do not like the new layout. Nothing seems to make logical sense. But that is just me.

As a note, I overall do not like the new layout. Nothing seems to make logical sense. But that is just me.

Ok, well, tell me what doesn't make sense. We might be able to make it better with your help. :)

- Sabr.

The Creativity thread/forum or whatever it is called is hidden by the Wallpapers and Icons thread/forum.

What do you mean by it's hidden? There it is, right between Wallpapers and Thunderdome:

creativitypy6.png

EDIT: Ok, well I'm glad I took that screenshot because it's been rearranged now. Personally I don't see the reason but makes no difference either way.

What do you mean by it's hidden? There it is, right between Wallpapers and Thunderdome:

creativitypy6.png

EDIT: Ok, well I'm glad I took that screenshot because it's been rearranged now. Personally I don't see the reason but makes no difference either way.

Not any more. I moved it up one. :)

Ok, well, tell me what doesn't make sense. We might be able to make it better with your help. :(

- Sabr.

Well, first off. It looks a lot better and is way easier to find the Creativity Forum now. It was just shorter in length (the name) and hard to see browsing through.

I just do not understand how the Real Life and Laugh forums can be in separate heading or topics. They just seem they should be together.

Also, I do not see how the X Labs belong in the Insanely Mac Lounge topic. Isn't the X Labs were people go to find information and collaborate about drivers, fixes, and utilities.

Buying, Thoughts, Reviews, and Recommendations and then The Marketplace seem like they should be under the same topic.

If I was going to reorganize the Insanely Mac Forum it would be as follows (not particularly in order though):

Insanely Mac Lounge

Front Page News and Rumors

Reader News and Reviews

New Releases and Updates

Buying Thoughts, Reviews and Recommendations

The Marketplace

Website Invitation Exchange

OSX86 Project

Tutorials (The Genius Bar)

OSx86 Installation

Post-Installation Discussion

Hardware and Drivers

MultiBooting and Virtualization

The X Labs

Apple World (Do not like the name, but whatever)

(keep the same)

Other World (needs good name though)

Creativity

Wallpaper, Icons, Themes, and Skins

Mods and Overclocking

Internet, Networks, and Servers

Community Discussion (kind of like discuss and learn, except more general)

The Great Debates

Apple Opinions and Discussion

Windows Discussion

*nix

Fun

Laughs

Thunderdome

The Big Issues (Real Life)

Your Langauge (topic because it seems like a lot of people are from overseas)

Deutsch

Espanol

Francais

Italianio

Japanese

Pyccko

Portugues

Chinese

Now In My Honest Opinion, I think all of these topics could be separated into completely different pages of forums. You know like link tabs across the top of the page. Then you could reduce a number of subforums and have them on the main topic page, therefore, reducing the layers of pages to go through in order to find what you are looking for.

Now remember, that after saying all this, that I am an extremely organized, anal retentive, obsessive compulsive, could be on the border of crazy person. For example, I am going to reinstall every OS on every computer I own and then reorganize the entire network to be optimized for organization and productivity (according to me) this summer. My wife thinks I am nuts...

This all ^ is just merely my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt...

:D

I just do not understand how the Real Life and Laugh forums can be in separate heading or topics. They just seem they should be together.
I agree

Also, I do not see how the X Labs belong in the Insanely Mac Lounge topic. Isn't the X Labs were people go to find information and collaborate about drivers, fixes, and utilities.
I agree

Buying, Thoughts, Reviews, and Recommendations and then The Marketplace seem like they should be under the same topic.
I see where you're coming from but I think it's better where it is.

Fun

Laughs

Thunderdome

The Big Issues (Real Life)

Not bad.

Your Langauge (topic because it seems like a lot of people are from overseas)

Deutsch

Espanol

Francais

Italianio

Japanese

Pyccko

Portugues

Chinese

Like and dislike at the same time. This would most likely make the forum even longer which doesn't look good.

My wife thinks I am nuts...
I agree :(

• 2 months later...

I want to see a decent search function on this site. Soon! I am not lame. Please don't treat me like I am with your useless site search function.