Suggestions....

144 posts in this topic

PLEASE please pretty please... it is HIGH time that there be a special "LAPTOP" section.

Since tweaking laptops IS more difficult that standard components, and the hardware usally CANNOT be easily swapped... it makes the experience of others with the same/similar model all the more valuable. REALLY valuable.

The HCL is just so messy and out-of-date, this would be a really important category.

Maybe just adding a section under "Hardware", although you could go with an entire Headline section of its own, since there are so many laptop sub-categories... i.e. AMD/ INTEL etc etc etc.

best wishes,

ninetto

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The HCL is great but it would be awesome to see some example systems listing the newest available components which are known to work OOTB with the more recent Leopard releases. Suggestions for various purposes - ie "netbook, laptop, affordable desktop, high end desktop and x86-server" configurations. I'm interested in building my own Xeon powered x-server for my growing stable of Macs and linux boxes on my home network but it's been a bit rough going through the HCL and trying to determine the mobos and so on that will work OOTB and are fairly recent. I don't know all the vendor model numbers as I expect most people do not.

Thanks to everyone for the contributions and work - it's been awesome dropping Vista for OS-X(86).

• 3 weeks later...
PLEASE please pretty please... it is HIGH time that there be a special "LAPTOP" section.

Since tweaking laptops IS more difficult that standard components, and the hardware usally CANNOT be easily swapped... it makes the experience of others with the same/similar model all the more valuable. REALLY valuable.

The HCL is just so messy and out-of-date, this would be a really important category.

Maybe just adding a section under "Hardware", although you could go with an entire Headline section of its own, since there are so many laptop sub-categories... i.e. AMD/ INTEL etc etc etc.

best wishes,

ninetto

I second this. It is very confusing to navigate and hope to find a thread dedicated to a special laptop. For example, you can browse through the entire graphics drivers/kexts section but the entire thread is made up of numerous references, some to internal displays, some specific laptops/etc.

But i guess i myself is used to figuring out what to find... and it takes more time, but the information is here nonetheless...just the layout could benefit from a rejig...

• 1 month later...

I think this is a fantastic forum and it has definitely helped me over the last months (and is it years already?) tinkering with my personal osx86 projects. I'm a bit surprised that there are no large visible links to donate financially back to the osx86 community/cause through PayPal or something? I'm not sure if proceeds should go to the site owners or developers in the osx86 community to aid the development of new and exciting osx86 toys? I feel that certain teams and individuals deserve rewarding for their efforts and if we are to maintain our wish to keep running the latest versions of a fantastic operating system on commodity hardware then perhaps we should each consider paying a token amount back to the true hackers who maintain the latest kernels/kexts and other useful osx86 solutions/workarounds...

One final suggestion - more voting on current events could be useful - such as "How did the 10.5.6 update go for you - Perfect? / Issues? / Fatal?"

Hope you are all looking forward to a fantastic festive period and take a welcome break so we can move the community forward into the new year. All the best,

Bob

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to see an online store to purchase equipment for the Hackintosh. If you can align yourself with an online retailer, it would be great. This would make it easy for Hackintosh users to purchase equipment that does not require begging on the Hackintosh forum.

A portion of the money would go back to feed the Hackintosh community while supplying the end users with equipment.

Want to find a mini pcie wireless card for your notebook that does not need hacks? Buy it through the insanelymac store link!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I really love InsanelyMac,but:

It would be amazing if there would be a sub-forum for Snow Leopard OSx86 experiments,as there's no place for this stuff.

I bet there're many people like me ,who want to try SL on our hackintoshes.

PLZ gimme a Snow Leopard osx86 subforum..... ;)

Regards,

Adam

If its already has been posted please disregard and forgive me but in the OSX database it would be nice to see a category on wireless cards for laptops newcomers wouldnt even give network cards a second look since they would think it has to do with pc

One more thing would be great:

As already mentioned a separate Laptop subforum would be really great.

But it also should contain subforums like Drivers , as for example Graphics Cards are totally different compared to the Desktop GPUs,so it shouldn't be just "support" stuff.

Otherwise it would be useless.

Adam

• 4 weeks later...

hi

I would like to suggest a sub-forum for Issues during OSX86 installation of mas os x and in which 1 sub forum with issues and 1 sub forum with solutions in which all the solved problems will be put.

in that way no one will ask same question again :)

and also it will be easier for noobs like me to look for solution

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It would be nice to have subforums (Leo, Snow Leo, Install, Post-install, etc.) under the forum for portuguese language. Now it's a mess, no subforums, no sticky topics, just a bunch of topics repeated over and over.

Concordo e mais ...

Eu deixo aqui minha manifestação em ser moderador global no sub-fórum português.

Agree and more ...

I leave here my manifestation in being global moderator in the Portuguese sub-forum.

Concordo e mais ...

Eu deixo aqui minha manifestação em ser moderador global no sub-fórum português.

Agree and more ...

I leave here my manifestation in being global moderator in the Portuguese sub-forum.

I agree. We need some new sections to organize the Portuguese sub-forum.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

working live chat. a way for noobs to the forum to ask questions. I want to post a topic to ask about a build but i cannot since i have to contribute to the forum, while this is certainly understandable its kind of a catch 22 since i am new to this i haven't much value to cotribute to the forum.

spell check :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

..and i already thought i couldn't post replies neither a new user..lol.

And there's my point: new users cannot open new threads before having a post count of 5. That is one way to fight spammers. But an incitation to new members to hi-jack and spam existing threads -that's what I understand by replying to threads without having anything to contribute to the topic. I visit this forum several times a week for months now and mostly found a solution for my probs without the need to post. (I managed to install and get running fully functional Mac OS X 10.6.0 on my PC). Now I am stuck with a problem i don't find an answer to and am forced to look after threads in which i can post a correct reply before i can post my question or to spam the forums, if I'm in a hurry.

IMHO a good solution could be to flag posts from new users/members for review; with or w/o need for validation before publishing.

Cheers

PS: I am sure many new users would like to stress this if they only knew where to post....

Who decided that the best way to prevent spam was requiring five posts in other threads? I can see what you were going for but jesus, speaking as someone who works in the internetz industry, most new forum users are joining to ask a question and if they need to post in five existing threads first they're going to get mad and - quite possibly - go somewhere else.

"There is nowhere else, if you hate the site, find another one lol"

This forum is a great resource - and one for which I'm very thankful - but there has got to be a better way to deal with new signups not reading stickies.

New user signs up. If they're the kind of idiot who is going to post "hurr how does i made internet going" they're probably going to just spam five threads so they can post their stupid question anyway, so all you've really done is multiplied the useless posts by six. I'm sure your stupid-thread-count has dropped significantly since you started this policy but it's probably because your average durr can't work out why they're unable to post and have given up.

Edit: I just spent a full five minutes looking for a thread where I could contribute something meaningful and I cannot find a thing. I wanted to make a new thread in the suggestions forum suggesting a new architecture for the forums that might be a bit friendlier to new users without sucking for older users but - of course - I can't actually start a new thread.

I've resisted the temptation to just post "Hmm, interesting question" in four other threads to get my post count up and I'm avoiding double posting here too. Could an admin or a mod please, please, please bump my post count up to five so I can start a thread and ask the question I came here to ask? You should be able to do it from the Manage Members form.