Favourite Linux/UNIX distro

linuxfan66

110 posts in this topic

Sabayon rocks? Interesting, I've tried it on three (or was it four?) completely different machines and have yet to find one it'll boot on.

I have some problem with boot on some Linux distros, you may try change your PATA or SATA settings in boot, I have only ATA dive and I hose Standard Mode (earlier was Enchenced something) and hose PATA only (earlier was SATA+PATA) with these settings my distros don't get confused where is my drive and boot normally, including Gentoo based ones

Ubuntu

I have played with many of the different flavours and I always found myself going back to SuSE, maybe because that was the one I started out on but it felt intuitive for me. But as with Linux boxes that use RPM's, I would always end up in dependency hell. I really liked the "emerge" system with Gentoo and used this system for a long time but it would take so long whenever I would have to rebuild a system and tune it perfectly to my system. But this was my mainstay system for a long time. Then, on a rebuild, I used Ubuntu Live-CD and I saw how it used the synaptic system to update. Wow. so easy. NO more dependency hell. Hurrah. So now Ubuntu is my Linux distro of choice. I like how it takes just 15-20 to install (base packages) Very nice system though

My favorite distros are:

Slackware and Gentoo

Why? Well see, now most distros that people have are automated for n00bz and you basically have to go with the preinstaled settings or the small variety of settings in the GUI. In Slackware and Gentoo, the system is very moddable (Modules, Drivers, Kernels, X......) and not n00bified. I have done great things with these distros when I was not able to do this with Mandrake or Linspire or (you get the idea).