Favourite Linux/UNIX distro

linuxfan66

110 posts in this topic

i prefer opensuse (no im not sucking up hahahah thatd be funny, but i dont like ubuntu.... and suse was my first linux distro =D )

although i do like the free ubuntu disks, theyre good.... if they work hahah

:(

As to the free disks, they are too little to buy me.

I'm glad to see all of this opensuse support as it is also my favorite 'mainstream' distro and no matter whatever people believe about the Novell/MS deal. I do, however, wish they would switch to smart as the package manager... http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=SMART_Package_Manager

I agree with you about the Novell/MS deal. I don't really care.

As to the package manager, I was a well known apt4rpm proponent. Smart is also OK, but the GUI is lacking when compared to Synaptic.

i hate all that 'new fancy' distro`s like ubuntu,kubuntu,pc linux ....

maybe they are good for new amateur users,but don`t have the spirit of linux.

it`s like mutation of windows....

:pyth::):fiery:

R

I would fully disagree with that. Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and probably pc linux do embrace teh spirit of linux.

The NEW king is here.. the famous U/Kubuntu killer "PCLINUXOS" or PCLOS

www.distrowatch.com for more info

I like PCLOS, Arch Linux, Debian + Automatix (Wont need Ubuntu),

The NEW king is here.. the famous U/Kubuntu killer "PCLINUXOS" or PCLOS

www.distrowatch.com for more info

I like PCLOS, Arch Linux, Debian + Automatix (Wont need Ubuntu),

;):thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

debian now is my favorite distro i just keep going back to it

i like apt, and compiling kernels :P

installing unstable now xD added unstable and experimental repos and did apt-get dist-upgrade :P

debian now is my favorite distro i just keep going back to it

For several years now both SUSE and Debian have been my favourites.

I keep swapping between the two.

i like apt, and compiling kernels :P

I have always liked apt, including apt4rpm.

As to kernels I normally use a Debian linux-image. They are very good.

I like apt too, but it is antiquated. It can break if your connection or power goes off it screw up your entire package management system.

I agree smart's gui front end might not be pretty and has issues, but we are talking about compiling kernels and {censored} so why use synaptic or any gui anyway?

Smart uses the same repositories as apt and if you know how to use apt in the terminal, smart is easier.

su

smart update

smart search <keyword>

smart install <package>

smart upgrade

Works like a charm and is faster.

Checkout the creator's website.

Everyone has opinions and it is good to have open discussions, all I'm saying is smart is worth checking out if you're an APT fan.

I like apt too, but it is antiquated. It can break if your connection or power goes off it screw up your entire package management system.

dpkg --configure -a

I agree smart's gui front end might not be pretty and has issues, but we are talking about compiling kernels and {censored} so why use synaptic or any gui anyway?

I said that I use Debian linux-images (precompiled ones). They are very good. As to synaptic it is a lot more practical than apt-cache search if you are installing a lot of stuff.

Everyone has opinions and it is good to have open discussions, all I'm saying is smart is worth checking out if you're an APT fan.

Of course. But I don't believe that smart is going to replace apt in Debian based distros any time soon, if ever.

OpenSUSE has surpassed Ubuntu as my distro of choice. It's the only distro I've been able to get Beryl working in on my Macbook pro, and YAsT (capitalization?) is a very good package manager/sysconfig tool.

Of course, I've got a sound issue... but I made a thread about that. :P

YAsT (capitalization?) is a very good package manager/sysconfig tool.

YaST is indeed one of the best control centers of any OS.

Thanks to YaST SUSE has also a unique repair feature which will rescue your OS in most cases.

Alessandro, do you know how to switch OpenSUSE's KDE from single-clicking icons to double-clicking them? I can't find it under Desktop Behavior, and it's not in the KDE Control Center... or I'm not looking in the right place.

Alessandro, do you know how to switch OpenSUSE's KDE from single-clicking icons to double-clicking them? I can't find it under Desktop Behavior, and it's not in the KDE Control Center... or I'm not looking in the right place.

I am logged in OS X now. Later I'll have a look :thumbsup_anim:

PCLinuxOS gets my support too. Also because it proves that there is life after Ubuntu!

'

i like mandriva powerpack too, i forgot about that one

i<3 proprietary drivers

POWERPACK people POWERPACK.

hahah i also love getting it free from a torrent :)

I am logged in OS X now. Later I'll have a look :P

I figured it out, never mind. It's under Peripherals --> Mouse in kconfig.

You can tell I'm a Linux noob. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

i havent been using ubuntu for a long time, its been about 2 months now... yes Ubuntu is easy to use.. but its still a long way off from windows in some things. and yes... i admit if it wasnt for ubuntu, and i had to try one of those hard linux versions im sure that within a week i would returned to windows with shame all over me... in the soon "hopefully" i will try another step up. and try to see what other linux distros are like...im thinking, gento, giving fedora another chance. maybe try Debian.. but at the moment.. its too soon for me, wouldnt be able to survive,,,

so for all you people who think ubuntu is too soft... at the moment its the only way to go up.. without the blood preasure going up as well... think of it as the transition...

Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Ubuntu, do we have a parrot on the forum :P

I tried it because at the time my favourite distro (Mepis) didnt work with my apple pro keyboard.

I was not impressed.

Ubuntu didnt mount my other hard drives , I had to fiddle around with fstab, something i remember doing five years ago with redhat9. Is this progress ? Ubuntu was NO improvement over Mepis the only difference I noticed was sudo instead of su or in other words you only need one password.

Mepis > Ubuntu

One also has to wonder about the 'great Ubuntu community' when most appear noobs.

• 2 months later...

I'm a big fan of Ubuntu (as more and more are these days) and VectorLinux, the latter moreso then the former. VectorLinux is based off of slackware, is extremely fast, easy to install and use, and saved my ass when all of the hardware I had died and I needed a working computer. Imagine going from a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ to a 350 Mhz AMD K6-2 in one single power surge. I used the K6-2 for 6 months running vector as my primary box doing everything from internet tasks, wordprocessing, and some basic programming.