Mac Pro Specifications:

Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

16GB (8 x 2GB)

Mac Pro RAID Card

750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 512MB, Stereo 3D (2 x dual-link DVI)

Two 16x SuperDrives

Both Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and AirPort Extreme

Quad-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card

Apple USB Modem

Mac OS X - U.S. English

I'm not sure which Apple this was, but the first mac to be made from the transition from 68K to PPC was the best Mac. The PPC platform, even though is according to specifications, inferior to Intel, was ground braking as far as power from the 68K is concerned. As far as historical significance, the Intel switch isn't a big deal because Intel has been making processors for a long time, and already does a good job at it in comparison to IBM and Motorola, and in recently months AMD as well.

Think about it, 68K to PPC vs PPC to x86.

Just something to think about. (I'm not dissing Intel one bit, I love my Core 2 Duo to pieces.)

Edit: Remember the subject, the GREATEST MAC in History, not the fastest. :P

I'm not sure which Apple this was, but the first mac to be made from the transition from 68K to PPC was the best Mac

It was not one for the "transition from 68K to PPC" it was three ...

Namely 6100, 7100 and 8100

The PPC platform, even though is according to specifications, inferior to Intel

Are you taking the :P

the Intel switch isn't a big deal because Intel has been making processors for a long time, and already does a good job at it in comparison to IBM and Motorola, and in recently months AMD as well.

Confirmed you are taking the p!ss

I take it you were not not using a Mac circa 68/PPC era because it was a nightmare with with the fat files (support for both platforms ... like Universal these days) which finally ended with OS8.5

I'd like a return to the coloured days. They do iPods in pink, orange, green. . . Why not computers? I miss th clamshells - I needa more powerful box, so I wouldn't get one now. . . but a clamshell Macbook? Oh HELL yes!

Amen to that, I miss my old Key Lime clamshell. It got stolen cause it looked so damn nice.

Only reason i bought my macbook was because intels were much faster... and bootcamp. If i had really looked at the price and gfx chip compared to a dell laptop pc.. i might not have bought it. I used both os's and i dident know about osx86 at the time :D so macbook it was :P I still love there systems. Prices could be better, but thats a computer company for ya. I really liked the old G3 Tower too, even if it was ppc. "We had video arts in 7th grade and we constanly upgraded it"

I would have to go for two computers.

The original iMac G3. It was not particularly powerful, shipped with OS 9 and many argued that it was ugly. Still, it was one on the best selling products at the time and, even today, it is often seen in many movies and shows because of it's iconic design. But most importantly, it announced the return of el-Stevo and greatly helped Apple get back on track when many analysts gave Apple for dead. My mom's iMac runs Tiger smoothly, after 7 years of loyal service.

And then, the MacBook. It was the computer that (almost) completed the transition to Intel Core Duo processors. It is without any doubts the best selling Mac in Apple history and it spearheads the growth of Apple's marketshare in the PC industry. It has a great value, a beautiful design, is easily servicable. What more can I say?

I take it you were not not using a Mac circa 68/PPC era because it was a nightmare with with the fat files (support for both platforms ... like Universal these days) which finally ended with OS8.5

Huh? Maybe I'm missing the point but I don't remember nightmare issues. (Are you talking development issues?)

My first Mac back in 80's was SE/30, and it still have something... It was soooo fast and nice lookin box on my desk... but... THE greatest was that first Mac 128, without it - I don't think we would have this thread...

1. The first Mac back in '84

2. The SE/30 (was my first own Mac, played Solarian on it all day long)

3. The coloured iMac back in '97 and the PowerMac G3 b/w two years later (still using it)

The era of the worst Macs (or to say Macs with lesser quality and a bad customer service by Apple ("You can only get new earphones for your iPod if you have a credit card"->WTF?) ) began with the white iBooks. So much trouble since this.

What's the greatest Mac in Apple's history?

* Most revolutionary within Apple

* Most revolutionary within industry

* Best selling

* Most technically advanced for the day

* Best industrial design

* Best overall quality

I have to stand up for the beige G3. I have two of them, currently running 10.4.10/XPostFacto. Processors are Sonnet G4 1 GHZ, 768MB RAM, PCI slots carry a Radeon 7000 64 MB video card, a USB2+firewire combo card, and an ATTO SCSI card controlling a Hitachi 15K/16MB cache hard drive; there is also a Pioneer DVR-110.

Revolutionary within Apple: the ZIF processor, which could be used to easily upgrade PPC models from the 6xxx series through the Yikes G4.

Revolutionary within industry/ technically advanced for day: the G3 processor!

Industrial design: place it next to any of its contemporary PCs and it looks softer, more modern.

Overall quality: the thing is built like a tank. It's taken years of abuse and upgrades and is still ticking.

The G3 is easily upgradable using off the shelf PC components (power supplies, PCI cards, etc. sometimes take a little rewiring or flashing!) and has run every system from 8.x through Tiger. There have even been a couple of early reports of Leopard running on beiges using XPostFacto. If it wasn't for the slow FSB speed I would still use the beige as my everyday machine, but it is too slow for editting & watching high quality video. For most everyday applications like Mail, Safari, and Word I can barely notice a difference between the beige and my DP G5.

I'd say iPod/iTunes.

I was skeptical about apple, but iTunes' usability quickly won me over to iPod, and soon after, my iMac. =)

Also looking forward to hopefully new MacBooks!

• 2 months later...

Best industrial design and most original for the iMac G4 Flat Panel. No outcome for this model unaffordable and restrained, but "il fallait oser".

Best OS for the time is Tiger with the revolution spotlight and the stability.

Best overall quality, for my experience, was perhaps the PM 7300-7600 solid like a rock.

Most beautiful case was PM G4 Quicksilver.

Most revolutionary within software industry was to sell three release of the same OS (10.2 10.3 10.4) at the same consumers waiting for a complet OS !

Most revolutionary within computer businness is Partnership with Nike or CocaCola or Music Major.

And definitely, best gift to old fans who have spent a fortune in 20 years of Mac is to win money selling iPod, that was invest in transition to Intel so we can build Hackintosh for few money. Thanks again !

Since I've owned one of just about every Mac model ever made, it's pretty hard to choose. I think my top three would be:

1. IIci with Portrait Display (I never have understood why most computer monitors are wider than they are tall, when almost everything I've ever produced had to be printed on 8.5x11" paper at some point.)
  2. PowerBook 100 (I used to be able to take notes in college classes for > 8 hours per day on a lead-acid battery! It was tiny and light before anybody even knew that was possible, but still did everything you needed a Mac to do.)
  3. Macintosh (We bought the fourth Macintosh sold in our town in January of 1984. That was the computer that changed everything, so it has to be one of the best, ever).

Probably the greatest Mac in History is the new Mac Pro.

Before now I had said the Macbook because it really attracted new customers and was affordable. However, now I say the new Mac Pro is the greatest Mac because it represents the beginning of new era for Apple: more expandable and competitively priced Macs.